• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best Tekken player in America works at a bakery. Tekken's is a much easier game to learn and play than something like Blazblue or Guilty Gear. You don't need anything special to get good, just enjoyment as you would any other hobby. For all the fear mongering over its move-lists there are set number of rules you can apply while playing that helps you understand the logic of the strings instead of memorizing things one by one.

Not even korean backdashing? Or, is that something that you would say casual players or non tournament goers wouldn't even need to bother with?

AAK

Not even korean backdashing? Or, is that something that you would say casual players or non tournament goers wouldn't even need to bother with?

It's unfortunately not intuitive, but it's principle is very simple: You can't cancel a backdash with another backdash, however, you can cancel a backdash into a crouch from which then you can do another backdash. That's it. If you cancelled your backdash into a crouch you've done a backdash cancel. Now, being able to optimize the distances of the backdash cancels and speed like the Korean arcade rats is all about practice. It's the equivalent of optimizing Virtua Fighter's fuzzy guarding.

mbpm1

The best Tekken player in America works at a bakery. Tekken's is a much easier game to learn and play than something like Blazblue or Guilty Gear. You don't need anything special to get good, just enjoyment as you would any other hobby. For all the fear mongering over its move-lists there are set number of rules you can apply while playing that helps you understand the logic of the strings instead of memorizing things one by one.

But Shin told me otherwise

Knee's character rankings and Death matche record is fucking absurd in Tekken 7.0. Only person that compares to Knee in Tekken is Koroda in 3rd Strike.

Don't take my word for it. Here is someone more reputable explain how you can begin to play the game without even backdash cancelling, just a backdash:

https://youtu.be/hJEJ8PJXoaM?t=50s

New players should be stair stepping until they can learn to back dash cancel correctly.
Stair Stepping is doing bb d b d b instead of doing bb n d/b b, n d/b b to move backwards quickly. You essential cancel your backdash into a sidestep rather than a crouch causing your character to move in a zigzag line, hence the name.

AAK

New players should be stair stepping until they can learn to back dash cancel correctly.
Stair Stepping is doing bb d b d b instead of doing bb n d/b b, n d/b b to move backwards quickly. You essential cancel your backdash into a sidestep rather than a crouch causing your character to move in a zigzag line, hence the name.

Or use the Tekken Revolution back walk.

Sayad

Didn't know it had another name, but this is how I move in Tekken. I also use Nina's command back dash a lot while stair stepping because it looks cooler and move away faster(I know it's riskier), is there a name for that. :D

Line_HTX

Shin says a lot of things though. In any case, there's no crazy commands outside of a few character's throws or doing electrics. Commands for the most part are fairly easy. I mean if people understood NRS commands when watching tournament play, why not Tekken commands?

And it's more about interrupting strings or ducking stuff or punishing at certain minuses anyway, so it's not as crazy as other games.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Shin says a lot of things though. In any case, there's no crazy commands outside of a few character's throws or doing electrics. Commands for the most part are fairly easy. I mean if people understood NRS commands when watching tournament play, why not Tekken commands?

And it's more about interrupting strings or ducking stuff or punishing at certain minuses anyway, so it's not as crazy as other games.

iWR and iWS moves can certainly be tricky at first, but the vast mojority of characters don't even use those moves.

Westlo

Don't think it will have any impact. There isn't enough time for players to learn all the match ups with them.

They don't have to learn all the matchups for them....

For example lets say Infil and Tokido go @ it in Top 8 Evo and it's 2-2 with Tokido winning game 4... does Infil stick with Nash or does he try and random out Tokido with Ibuki (who he's put work into for 3 weeks and naturally focused on Ryu, Ken, Chun etc....)

Sayad

lmao

They don't have to learn all the matchups for them....

For example lets say Infil and Tokido go @ it in Top 8 Evo and it's 2-2 with Tokido winning game 4... does Infil stick with Nash or does he try and random out Tokido with Ibuki (who he's put work into for 3 weeks and naturally focused on Ryu, Ken, Chun etc....)
If Infiltration's 3 weeks Ibuki is good enough to gimmick out Tokido's Ryu, then props to him.

What's fastest time it took a DLC character to win a major? Is there anything faster than Sonicfox winning Final Round with Alien?

ShinMaruku

DOA has always shown frmae data from DOA5 onward. They even tell you if you are plus or negative, what is the active frames, all from reccomendations from the player base. But none of you niggas will play it , so it is what it is
It does take a master theseis to reach ground level

I do say a bunch of things but they are often back up by data. :p

Now lets look at tekken, you need to learn around 15-40 moves , then you must learn movement, then you must learn match ups, all that stuff adds up. When some people say Tekken is easy they must be coming from a earlier Tekken where they had time to build up the skill list. You will very rarely see a person who is new come into Tekken and say that shit is easy. Don't misrepresent a game because you want people to play it, they will get burned and you will lose them.

pixelish

rip next level

Next Level ‏@nycnextlevel 7m
Tomorrow is the last Next Level Battle Circuit. It's been a good 5 years but it's time to move shop.

but henry cen tweeted a photo of the new shop which is still currently under renovation

Cl7IJlrWQAAEcYZ.jpg

may the new location bring in more activity in the stagnating nyc fgc as well as produce many more basedmonster highlight clips in the upcoming years

AAK

Now lets look at tekken, you need to learn around 15-40 moves , then you must learn movement, then you must learn match ups, all that stuff adds up. When some people say Tekken is easy they must be coming from a earlier Tekken where they had time to build up the skill list. You will very rarely see a person who is new come into Tekken and say that shit is easy. Don't misrepresent a game because you want people to play it, they will get burned and you will lose them.

Replace [Tekken] in your post with [any other fighting game except Divekick]. The same thing applies.

Tekken is no easier or harder to learn than any other fighting game for the first time.

There was a thread yesterday that reminded me how funny the perception surrounding fighting games can be. One of the SNK devs was talking about how they're aiming to make the game easy to play, accessible, etc. and people were talking about it like . . . like it mattered. This is the one thing that every fighting game dev in existence says about their game, and it's always true, and they always succeed, but it also never matters because the mechanics aren't why fighting games are hard.

I actually want to see a fighting game that's purposefully hard as shit to play. I wonder how crazy and obtuse you could make a fighting game and still have it be playable

vulva

Yes it does.

Disappointed at bolded if true, movie looked very visually interesting and I always enjoy these genre films (that focus on a particular field/profession).
I wrote a review for a friend but it's relevant here

It was stylish, but that was it. It was mostly just a boring movie that was too on the nose with it's metaphors while simultaneously trying to be strange without succeeding. Everything just felt half assed and uninteresting. Looked nice at times though, which was funny since the lead makes a comment that being pretty and bad at everything else is enough. Not this time it wasn't I guess

Tripon

Even more content. Street Fighter will add the God of War director to the cast of SFV.

The delayed June update for Street Fighter V will launch this Friday, July 1, and will not only include new character Ibuki and a cinematic story mode, it will also include additional new character Cory Balrog.

The Cory Balrog trailer ends with teasers for Juri and Urien, the last of the game’s confirmed six post-launch characters.

Watch the Cory Balrog reveal trailer below.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/06/street-fighter-v-adds-cory-balrog-ibuki-july-1#L3flF3b2RmQhGkTt.99

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Barlog

Pompadour

There was a thread yesterday that reminded me how funny the perception surrounding fighting games can be. One of the SNK devs was talking about how they're aiming to make the game easy to play, accessible, etc. and people were talking about it like . . . like it mattered. This is the one thing that every fighting game dev in existence says about their game, and it's always true, and they always succeed, but it also never matters because the mechanics aren't why fighting games are hard.

I actually want to see a fighting game that's purposefully hard as shit to play. I wonder how crazy and obtuse you could make a fighting game and still have it be playable

These games are always going to be considered difficult by the masses as long as 1) there's any depth at all and 2) it's one on one against a person.

Other competitive games can hide the realization that you're not good if your team can shoulder some of the blame. In shooters you can enjoy yourself by running around until you find someone unaware so you can shoot them in the back.

These games are always going to be considered difficult by the masses as long as 1) there's any depth at all and 2) it's one on one against a person.

Other competitive games can hide the realization that you're not good if your team can shoulder some of the blame. In shooters you can enjoy yourself by running around until you find someone unaware so you can shoot them in the back.
Team aspect is really it. Its why League of Legends is so big compared to
the much better
Starcraft

ShinMaruku

Replace [Tekken] in your post with [any other fighting game except Divekick]. The same thing applies.

Tekken is no easier or harder to learn than any other fighting game for the first time.
Exactly. A fighting game needs special attention and some good people to learn with. Some games just have less of those people and makes the illusion of being harder to learn

Been out of town. Who won @CEO?
Tokido.

AAK

Exactly. A fighting game needs special attention and some good people to learn with. Some games just have less of those people and makes the illusion of being harder to learn.

Glad we can agree that Tekken isn't any harder to learn than any other fighting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom