• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daigo won a couple at the end, by doing every scrub ryu's trick from even back in the ST days.

If you just random tatsu every once in a while, it'll make guile hesitate about throwing booms.

jbug617

Banned
Topanga leaving Twitch makes sense because they never got a sub button or partnered. I wonder how come Twitch didn't take care of them sooner.

MarkMan colluding with Qanba now in designing their latest stick (looks like a next gen TE)

RIP MadCatz. You done goofed by betting on an audience smaller than the FGC.

tbh, I don't really like how it looks. With that ledge in the palm area. I would have to see how it feels to me. Looks uncomfortable. maybe it to elevate the palms so you are pushing down into the buttons? idk.

Sayad

The intent of splitting the leaderboards was to offer players another avenue of qualifying through their region. Unfortunately, some players used that as an opportunity to fly around the world and win tournaments in other regions, which potentially blocked players from those regions from qualifying for Capcom Cup.
How is this a bad thing! International players traveling to an event wont turn off local players from doing so, will make events more hype and bring more viewers. Why are they even entertaining the idea of "lesser playing not being able to qualify = bad thing"?!

I really dislike commentary piped into the venue.

They need to figure out how to make the crowd audio come through the mic.

It's like watching a sports event and you can't hear the crowd. That's wack. That is part of the excitement.

Imagine watching that world series game 7 with no crowd noise, lol.

Kumubou

In house commentary is dumb and useless. Please remove that shit ASAP.
I don't get why FG events are starting to do this -- is this because other e-sports events do this? No actual sport does this and it really isn't needed.

One of the things I miss about older FG events (like older NECs or Season's Beatings) was just how goddamn loud the crowd would get even on stream, and that was largely in part due to the players and the commentators being about three feet from the crowd. It would probably give a professional audio engineer an aneurysm, but that gave the crowd (and by extension, the event) a level of energy that doesn't really exist in this day and age. That's not to say crowds can't get hype now, but rather that it's a level removed from the broadcast.

And honestly, with the technology we have nowadays, if someone really wants commentary at the event just put up an audio feed on Beam and let them listen to that.

How is this a bad thing! International players traveling to an event wont turn off local players from doing so, will make events more hype and bring more viewers. Why are they even entertaining the idea of "lesser playing not being able to qualify = bad thing"?!

Because people want their region represented when there's world tournament.

Like legit, KBrad being a Latin American representative potentially sounds silly.

On the Tekken side of things, this is how things have operated for its events.

people should get better if they want to be in the final tournament

we already have enough scrubs in the finals, and some people think that limiting the places a player can qualify from won't just add to that problem?

Kumubou

people should get better if they want to be in the final tournament

we already have enough scrubs in the finals, and some people think that limiting the places a player can qualify from won't just add to that problem?
You need a balance -- you want top talent, but you also want to make sure every region has some rooting interest while giving some less popular areas an opportunity to get some burn. You don't want to have what happened with Starcraft 2 where you have 32 Koreans in the final bracket and the majority of your fanbase has mentally checked out even before the start of the first game.

an opportunity to get blown the fuck out . . .

i want to say that a lot of places have players good enough to be in the finals, but that probably doesn't even matter at the moment

considering we have so many scrubs that made it in, i guess it would be better if they were scrubs from places other than the us

that starcraft situation sounds rough, but i don't think fgs would ever get like that. the entire world was free to japan for a long time a few years ago, but now everywhere is catching up and getting better. i don't think emphasizing skill is going to result in an sc2 blowout

Sayad

You need a balance -- you want top talent, but you also want to make sure every region has some rooting interest while giving some less popular areas an opportunity to get some burn. You don't want to have what happened with Starcraft 2 where you have 32 Koreans in the final bracket and the majority of your fanbase has mentally checked out even before the start of the first game.
It's not balanced if they're just there to go 2-0 while taking a spot a better player could have filled. I'd rather see a single player from my region make a good run in a regional final than seeing three or so players being the butt of the joke in CPT finals.

And it's not like SFV is as region sided as say, KI or Guilty Gear, where I can see giving certain regions free passes because otherwise they'd have no representation. Every region seem to be getting decent representation in SFV with the current system, you don't go out of your way trying to fix a problem that isn't there!

pixelish

hooray for openrec! topanga league will no longer be behind a paywall. i guess topanga also indirectly announced there will be a topanga league happening soon.

Mark Julio (マークマン) ‏@MarkMan23 3m
WOW! Awesome news for @StreetFighter fans! @topangajapan just announced that TOPANGA LEAGUE is going to be FREE to watch via @OPENREC!

Tripon

Latin America got 3 players this year to Capcom Cup, Europe got 5 players, NA got at least 5 players as well.

The current rules screw over players from Asia, particularly ones that can't travel internationally. Japan got one of its premier tournaments taken away, the Korean ranking event went away too.

What replaced it was G League in China as a premier event that only 100 people attended, 2 new ranking events in Japan, and the CPT Asia finals in Busan, South Korea.

Asia had 25 of the spots in Capcom Cup 2015. They might not get to 20 this year. The current system is working to get a more global playing field. Region locking would just hurt tournaments, because those tournaments that are being 'sniped' actually want and need international talent to come.

Limiting that is fool hardy.

shaowebb

Been thinking about alt costumes in Injustice 2...hoping hard to get a Ted version of Blue Beetle so that I can play a chubby dude out there. I love troll-tier alt costumes a lot. I rocked Elvis Modok and lucha Bane a lot.

y2T7ag6.jpg

Cmooooon tubby Beetle alt :D

Perro

I've seen a rumor that says KP3 is happening and Inj2 will be delayed.
Don't remember where I saw that. Sounds fake as hell.

shingi70

Banned
Any good websites for finding local and regional tournaments. Interested in finding some Smash Bros, Pokkén, and Killer Instinct in my area.

shaowebb

Speaking of Injustice 2 what the fuck happened with it? Haven't had a reveal in months :(

2.5 months and counting to be precise. They announced the change log on MKXL and PC MKXL and let it rest awhile to promote that. Next reveals will likely start a steady stream since this is kind of how they rolled last time as well.

BTW I just got my copy of BB Central Fiction picked up. When I get home from work it'll be time to grind some Mai Natsume and get my shit packed in online :D

Between that and KOF 14 I should be good for next gen for a good while. Keep wanting to hop back on PC and play some more Melty and Arcana Heart though. So much unique and fast stuff there. Gonna be a fighty fighty month.

It's like watching a sports event and you can't hear the crowd. That's wack. That is part of the excitement.

Me too. Part of listening to the streams is hearing the crowd noise. You don't need to have the live audience pipe in commentary.

shows their interest isn't in the game then

I want to add some another opinion in why I don't like in house commentary, besides the problems it creates getting the crowd noise to the stream.

I don't like it when I am in the venue either. This sounds weird (and I said I felt this at EVO as well), but it makes me feel like I'm just in a big room watching a stream with alot of people. it doesn't feel like an event that I am part of or something special that the home viewer is not getting. The raw energy of the the match. Especially when it fucks with the game audio mix in the venue. I want to hear the game clearly.

Maybe it's from all my years of going to sporting events and many ballroom finals, but I don't want commentary when I'm there. Maybe they can play music, show replays, some funny stream moments in between matches. I don't how this would work, but somehow broadcast the stream audio in the venue so people can tune in with headphones or something if they really want it. I've done this at football/baseball games when i have been in the upper decks. Just turn on the am station play by play.

It's just losing alot of the excitement when the viewers are not getting the crowd audio. They are not getting a portion of what makes fightings games awesome.

Agree 100%. Venue commentary causes so many problems, and who exactly was clamoring for it? The live crowd doesn't need commentary. You're there with a mob of people to talk to, people getting hype and feeding each other's hype, there is not a void that needs to be filled like with the stream monsters sitting alone at home.

Can't believe this whole in house commentary is a thing really. I know I'm walking down a well worn path with this but this really needs to be hammered home. It made EVO Finals this year, WAY worse, the commentary was inaudible and added nothing. I went back and just watched the T7 Nationals and I seriously can't fucking believe how quiet it is in those videos. Do you have any idea how loud it was at the venue? The venue was freakin shaking at times, people were going crazy, cheering, jumping up and down, and screaming. It was fantastic but NO ONE on stream got to feel any of that intensity. It was such a waste. When NAPS hit the taunt b+4 on SpeedKicks for that crazy combo the room erupted like crazy but you couldn't hear a damn thing on the stream.

The best way to solve this problem is to have a separate in house hype man like Tasty Steve or Tragic like they have done for years and years get the crowd hype and call out a few things(just like Basket Ball), and then have the commentators just broadcast to the stream. This way when you hear the crowd you can hear the hype man which adds to the excitement but doesn't detract from the commentators and doesn't cause the echo issue of having the audio broadcast in the venue.

Everybody wins. Crowd gets minimal in-house hype commentary to keep them engaged and interested, stream gets crowd noise, we all get hype, everyone wins,

.la1n

2.5 months and counting to be precise. They announced the change log on MKXL and PC MKXL and let it rest awhile to promote that. Next reveals will likely start a steady stream since this is kind of how they rolled last time as well.

BTW I just got my copy of BB Central Fiction picked up. When I get home from work it'll be time to grind some Mai Natsume and get my shit packed in online :D

Between that and KOF 14 I should be good for next gen for a good while. Keep wanting to hop back on PC and play some more Melty and Arcana Heart though. So much unique and fast stuff there. Gonna be a fighty fighty month.

If I remember correctly it was quiet this time last year for MK X then after the holidays was a pretty steady stream of information. Weekly kombat kast, etc.

My only experience with in-house commentary was when I attended EVO 2011, and Yipes commentated Marvel 3 top 32, I think it was. I just remember falling asleep through some of the matches only to be startled awake by Yipes yelling "JEEEAAAAN!!!!!" whenever a Dark Phoenix came into play.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of in-house commentary either. Just let me hear the game and my fellow crowd.

Capcom have to decide what they want more. Do they want the best 32 players or global representation above all else?

Haunts hinted that they're looking at less events which I believe does help out players who can't travel as much. However, they're also looking at removing auto-qualification which does the opposite too.

Personally I believe regions need to be weighted using NA as the mean. So Asia should have a few more events than NA or their points should be weighted higher. Latin America should be getting less events or their points should be lower.

This year, Latin America got the same amount of ranking events as Asia. However, they still would have had only 3 players (if not for Misterio's visa issues) from the region make it to Capcom Cup. Right now it's only 2 players. So what kind of representation are you hoping for? The region is clearly weaker and it doesn't matter how many events you give them, you won't really get a lot of representation from the region as players from around the world will just snipe their points.

This year the rules just allowed NA to farm Latin America for points. Not only was LA the weakest of the 4 regions, but it was also the cheapest for a stronger region to fly to. Maybe next year, to make up for the fact that it will have less events, give LA a regional final (unlike other regional finals) where it will guarantee a LA player a capcom cup appearance. This means that no matter what you will have 1 LA player in Capcom Cup, with potential for another 2-3 depending on how they do on the tour.

It would be great if there could be in house commentary, but at the same time the stream viewers can hear the crowd really well. There are benefits for each side.

If I had to choose I believe hearing the crowd should be prioritized.. Not being able to hear the crowd just makes the stream feel awkward. You wonder as a viewer if the crowd is bored of the play and if there is that tension between the players and the lack of crowd hype. The in house commentary does make it more entertaining for a lot of the audience at the venue, but if the stream can't pick up on it, why does it matter?

I guess it all depends on which audience you want to cater to? Maybe the live audience can get catered to in other ways separate from the commentary like just giving them more shit to do at the venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom