• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Dormammu, MODOK, Hawkeye are well designed. It's actually very hard to make a character like Hawkeye (because he just shoots arrows) interesting to play but they managed to do it.

I also like Spider Man in UMVC3.

And I am still very much looking forward to watching all of Capcom Cup and looking forward to Season 2 news for SFV.

Dahbomb

Wesker's mvc3 design was really good as well.
We if we are talking about Capcom then they did a great job with Strider, Zero, Dante, Vergil, Trish, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright and Frank West. They translated those characters from their respective games into a fighting game excellently.

In the case of Vergil they did it TOO well.

Most of the new characters in Marvel 3 were great tbh. I was still surprised to see MODOK work so well and Super Skrull being the Fantastic Four in one character.

mooncakes

Looking back, out of all the new movesets in Marvel 3 that were not based off of any prior game or anything (ie marvel newcomers. Otherwise Dante would get this praise) I think that the best overall new character moveset design in terms of both balance and visuals had to be Dormammu.

• All his normals looked like special moves. From energy sparks and slashes to explosions it just made the user feel cool. No real punchy kicky here. Just visual fun
  • Great command normals. Guy had a projectile that caused a dude to go into the air allowing for easy conversions off of about anything from anywhere. Plus he had a ground multihitting flame carpet that he could toss around to cut off stuff or extend with assists or use for setups or etc etc etc
  • Cuts off the screen with Black Holes and energy pillars. Whilst enjoying great backdashes
  • While having a fly he wasn't just a tried and true triangle dasher.
  • Had the mix and match "power of" charges to let you select out of a grab bag of specials only on deck if you've played footsies correctly enough to earn them
  • Homing guaranteed chip special that messes with incoming characters
  • multhit beam super
  • GRAB super.
  • Multiple GTFO tools. From energy splodes to normals that just AA really well.

He was a dude who just sort of had it all, but it was all setup in such a way that you still had to earn it out there. You couldn't be brainless. You had to know how to move and how to read opponents to properly wall them in. Dante had it all but he was also based off of his game so seeing someone like Dormammu come along with no prior design to draw from in gaming was pretty cool to witness. Definitely one of the coolest gimmick characters and most effective ones they ever came up with in this series. Great visuals, great tools, and cool strategies.

EDIT: shit. I almost forgot...Dorm also had a shitload of projectile nullify tools to aid his runaway style. Just such a cool design all over.

I feel like his playstyle was kind of inspired by Blackheart's movesets.

shaowebb

Dormammu, MODOK, Hawkeye are well designed. It's actually very hard to make a character like Hawkeye (because he just shoots arrows) interesting to play but they managed to do it.

I also like Spider Man in UMVC3.

And I am still very much looking forward to watching all of Capcom Cup and looking forward to Season 2 news for SFV.

I always liked spidey except he always felt juuuuuust under being good enough to be cool. It always felt like it was the exact same combo or nothing with him. If you had doom you could setup the neat web throw into web throw stuff, but largely he just felt like he was missing one or two moves from getting crazy and "marvel enough" to be a standout. Didn't help his assists were ass and his reverse DP web swing kept people from bothering much. If I wanted to do aerial DP I'd just choose Akuma so i'd have good assists and good supers for DHC.

Spidey definitely had the sickest outfit selections. Dat DLC Scarlet Spiderman and Iron Spider were the fucking bomb.

God damn I'm hype now that Polygon is confirming this shit. An no X and Cinema based? Can you imagine the meta shakeup of no Magneto, J Wong without Wolverine or Storm, and potentially no Dr Doom since he is NOT owned by Disney Cinema verse?
Shits gonna get crazy fast. I can't even imagine where to start looking for a good beam assist if we really do lose both Doom or Mags because playing Ironman is like giving yourself a catheter.

notworksafe

the legitimacy of like 10 ppl "sources" in that thread. A thread that was powered by discord "leaks". Well my "source" is certified now

discord shaq is king
5RyoqJB.png

Beats

eh, without knowing who's doing the combat design or what it actually plays like I dunno if I can get hype for a potential mvc4.

plus this:

I wish I could be excited for this. Not when they were putting rootkits into their fighting game a mere two months ago.

shaowebb

Man the no mutants and Cinemaverse thing...that kills a LOT of MVC2 and 3 guys from returning. That probably also kills Sentinel off too completely murdering team 10 more years. That plus the general shakeup of Capcom faces every game adds up to a LOT even before system changes.

If this reveal pans out as its building up to do then this will be a helluva crazy year for information. Geez...no Hidden Missiles, Drones or Disruptor assists does a lot to the meta if true. Forget the new cast for now...just the loss of old tools is big enough to be ground shaking. I don't even have a clue what it'd do to J. Wong out there losing both Wolvy and Storm. I really dont know who he'd play even in the current UMVC3 if he couldn't choose those two.

Here's hoping we get Daredevil/Yatterman 1 shenanigans. I really really hope I'm right on that one. Just give him crazy air to air and mobility with them disjointed hitboxes and at least one counter super and I'm set. God damn if they gave the man Yatter 1 stuff plus Polymar's command dodge. *drooooooool*

pixelish

jiyuna posted a conspiracy theory that ccl is the one who leaked marvel 4 news and he couldn't make it for capcom cup as he's on the run from capcom.

ccl = capcom confirmed leaks

Dahbomb

Stuff like Hidden Missiles and Disruptor are generic tools that you can give to characters like Ultron and stuff.

Game play wise, the vacuum can be filled.

The more problematic rumor to worry about is 2v2 + Assists. THAT would be wrong.

Justin Wong is a huge Iron Fist fan. He played IF for quite a while. So if IF was great, he would be playing IF.

Tripon

FqBnFYj.png

ncHgHSw.png

http://challonge.com/capcomcup2016

Updated brackets for Capcom Cup. CCL dropping out and Humanbomb being added just fucked up the brackets even more. Now it's Infiltration vs Humanbomb first round, Tokido vs DR Ray, and Justin Wong vs Sako again.

Looking at the new brackets, I'd say Nuckledu/Momochi, and Tokido have the easiest road to top 8 winners now.

shaowebb

Stuff like Hidden Missiles and Disruptor are generic tools that you can give to characters like Ultron and stuff.

Game play wise, the vacuum can be filled.
Oh no doubt about it. Ultron is likely the ideal catch all character to replace many strategies lost from any cast changes all into one guy. Not since Dorm has a character potentially had so many design options IMO. Just hope they learn from Hidden Missiles and if he gets that as an assist like tool then they reign his version in.

The more problematic rumor to worry about is 2v2 + Assists. THAT would be wrong.

THAT would be my personal ideal *evil grin*
TVC fan remember? I usually feel most folks get great with one, have a solid backup and the third is learned slowly for the assist. I'd be doooooown for some 2v2, but honestly I feel it shouldn't be one or the other. Just go Skullgirls with it and set it up as folks goin for whichever they prefer with a stat modifier.

Justin Wong is a huge Iron Fist fan. He played IF for quite a while. So if IF was great, he would be playing IF.
Not if he wanted to win lol. Can't rely on standing M forever. I get the feeling he'd try Iron Fist again for awhile, but would just end up making some crazy new team instead eventually. Thats all strawman stuff though...UMVC3 is settled so theres no point speculating who would do what in that game. We've theorycrafted that forever.

Can't wait to speculate who plays what if MVC4 is real like Polygon says.

Sayah

MvC4!!!!!!!
OfYGY.gif

That Polygon article really helped drown my skepticism. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Please have good netcode
Please be 3v3
I don't care about X-men

shaowebb

Would have to be a tiny cast to not have hundreds of pairings

TVC only had like 20 something and was 2v2. Plus it didn't even have assist options...everyone only had a single assist. It still managed good variety. It can be done.

Their is another reason I dig 2v2 so much other than personal preference (which dont mean shit really). Its that with only TWO LIFEBARS that you dont have to go so nuts with damage to avoid potential time out issues. Its not a guarantee against Touch of Death scenarios by any means but it does make it easier to design a game where it takes several good conversions to kill a guy instead of one solid hit. Only exception I've seen is SFxTekken that still ran into timeouts often early on, but it definitely didn't run into as many touch of deaths as marvel.

Still though, all that aside I really do feel that personal preference is bullshit in this case. Its a sequel and I dont feel you should alienate one style of play for another when the series is based off of 3v3 at this point after 2 and 3 revolving around it. It'd be a step backwards to go 2v2. Only true compromise would be Skullgirls like options to choose whatever size team you want.

Looking back, out of all the new movesets in Marvel 3 that were not based off of any prior game or anything (ie marvel newcomers. Otherwise Dante would get this praise) I think that the best overall new character moveset design in terms of both balance and visuals had to be Dormammu.

• All his normals looked like special moves. From energy sparks and slashes to explosions it just made the user feel cool. No real punchy kicky here. Just visual fun
  • Great command normals. Guy had a projectile that caused a dude to go into the air allowing for easy conversions off of about anything from anywhere. Plus he had a ground multihitting flame carpet that he could toss around to cut off stuff or extend with assists or use for setups or etc etc etc
  • Cuts off the screen with Black Holes and energy pillars. Whilst enjoying great backdashes
  • While having a fly he wasn't just a tried and true triangle dasher.
  • Had the mix and match "power of" charges to let you select out of a grab bag of specials only on deck if you've played footsies correctly enough to earn them
  • Homing guaranteed chip special that messes with incoming characters
  • multhit beam super
  • GRAB super.
  • Multiple GTFO tools. From energy splodes to normals that just AA really well.

He was a dude who just sort of had it all, but it was all setup in such a way that you still had to earn it out there. You couldn't be brainless. You had to know how to move and how to read opponents to properly wall them in. Dante had it all but he was also based off of his game so seeing someone like Dormammu come along with no prior design to draw from in gaming was pretty cool to witness. Definitely one of the coolest gimmick characters and most effective ones they ever came up with in this series. Great visuals, great tools, and cool strategies.

EDIT: shit. I almost forgot...Dorm also had a shitload of projectile nullify tools to aid his runaway style. Just such a cool design all over.
Clarifying points:
The command normal only combo'd in ultimate.
Dormammu has bad backdashes because you can't crouch cancel them - you always tridash backward.
His level 3 super doesn't grab - it's a hit.
He only has two "get off me" tools - his level 3 super, and 2D1C (fire spike), and the latter only became a "get off me" tool in ultimate.

Are people looking forward to the announcement more than the tournament? lol
SFV is so boring to watch. :-(

$5 says that their source is the NeoGAF thread, lol.

So the SRK thread then.

What if it's a 2v2 with a smaller cast but each possible pairing has unique tag animations/functions?

what

if
Never give Capcom too much credit.

shaowebb

Hangin out in the polygon thread just made me admit that if we lose Sentinel and want a new Ironman moveset then just include Hulkbuster armor as a character choice. My God that would be dope.
YIzeewx.gif

FwDcyjy.gif

Clarifying points:
The command normal only combo'd in ultimate.
Dormammu has bad backdashes because you can't crouch cancel them - you always tridash backward.
His level 3 super doesn't grab - it's a hit.
He only has two "get off me" tools - his level 3 super, and 2D1C (fire spike), and the latter only became a "get off me" tool in ultimate.

I'll definitely defer to you on Dorm facts. You were a big player of him. I'm just a fan of the concept and visuals. I hope he returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom