• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

I would be surprised if there is a story mode at time of release. Expect features similar to SFV at release, the game is only a year out.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Some weekend JoJo to tie you over until those new characters are announced:

Fugo VS Johhny
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30082190

Fugo fights using a powerful flesh-eating virus. Basically, he's like FANG, but much more offensive orientated. His poison starts off about as weak as FANG's, but he can upgrade his stand from Purple Haze to Purple Haze Distortion by either doing a special command at low health, or by doing his ultra. Once he does this, all his special moves come out faster, recover faster, and hit harder. On top of that his poison becomes much more potent, dealing 100 damage by its self with each capsule. The average health is 1000. This means that every time he poisons you, you lose 10% from poison alone. Fugo starts each round with 6 poison capsules, so six blocktrings means 60% of your health gone without him even opening you up. He can poison you after a combo, which means every combo does an extra 10% free. If he poisons you after a throw, the throw essentially does double damage. Fugo can regain poison capsules by doing his super or his ultra. His upgraded poison really puts FANG's to shame. Especially since it gives him access to 90% combos.

Johhny has more than a few things that make him unique not only in this game, but in fighting games in general. For one, he rides a horse when he fights (Mounted). Mounted characters get a huge movement boost while riding their horse. Side-steps and dashes move twice as far than other characters. Mounted characters can't throw while on their horse, but cannot be thrown. Not even command throws will work on them. Johnny is paralyzed from the waist down... so if he's knocked off his horse he can only crawl on the ground. Another big thing that sets him apart is that he's designed to 'learn' more moves as the match progresses. Doing a super takes his 'Act' one level higher, up to 4. Doing an ultra immediately takes you to Act 4. Each act unlocks more special moves, including a homing ground projectile, a teleport, and a bunch of other crazy projectiles. When he goes to Act 2, he gains a 'fingernail meter' (all of Johnny's projectiles are from him shooting his fingernails from his fingers). Using a projectile uses up a fingernail. If you use them all up, you have to wait a while before they grow back. You can drink herbal tea to speed up this process.

On top of all this, being a character from part 7 means he has access to the corpse parts. You might have seen this before, where there are strange objects laying on the ground. They are the body parts of Jesus Christ, and only Part 7 characters can pick them up. Picking them up gives a buff, with each one unlocking a new buff as you accumulate them. For Johnny, one part boosts his overall damage, two will add super-armor to his moves on top of that, and 3 parts will make him build more meter on top of the other two buffs.

shaowebb

I think you're one of the few people who remember who Fanatiq is..

Fanatiq stopped being a thing when he stopped being good enough to money match people constantly. He's not likely to return as a thing as team 10 more years is off the deck no matter what just by being 2v2 no assist let alone the roster rumors lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Frankly, when you show casual players how to tag on a pad, the game already becomes one step more complicated than pretty much any other game that uses pad. Or they have to hold the tag button and that puts them at a disadvantage in the gameplay because it's so obvious they're about to tag.

It may be playable on pad, but intuitive or simple to play aren't things you can also say about it. Yes, these things covary with one's motivation to get better and effort, but it's also difficult to have that when you're clawing the controller to hold two buttons in order to tag and get blown up in the process. At times I think there can be a real ivory tower perspective on how easy/hard really is for casuals. In my experience at least, I have so many of my friends/family mentally give up as I'm done explaining it to them, and it's harder than we think.

I don't know if this is the right solution, but keeping it how it is with MvC3 wouldn't have grown the franchise much I think. Real issues that need to be addressed IMO.

Seyavesh

Frankly, when you show casual players how to tag on a pad, the game already becomes one step more complicated than pretty much any other game that uses pad. Or they have to hold the tag button and that puts them at a disadvantage in the gameplay because it's so obvious they're about to tag.

It may be playable on pad, but intuitive or simple to play aren't things you can also say about it. Yes, these things covary with one's motivation to get better and effort, but it's also difficult to have that when you're clawing the controller to hold two buttons in order to tag and get blown up in the process. At times I think there can be a real ivory tower perspective on how easy/hard really is for casuals. In my experience at least, I have so many of my friends/family mentally give up as I'm done explaining it to them, and it's harder than we think.

I don't know if this is the right solution, but keeping it how it is with MvC3 wouldn't have grown the franchise much I think. Real issues that need to be addressed IMO.

tagging is one button hold in mvc3 lol, you just hold the related assist button

you're mixing it with mvc2 where you press hp+hk or lk+lp to tag

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
People got confused with the holding down of the button too. Since if you do it in the air it won't go and they just end up holding on to it forever going "why isn't it switching?"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
tagging is one button hold in mvc3 lol, you just hold the related assist button

you're mixing it with mvc2 where you press hp+hk or lk+lp to tag
I mentioned that, it becomes so obvious you're going to tag though. Also pushing two face buttons at once is unreliable and controllers aren't great for that.

Also I forgot about Simple Mode. Never mind all that, that was a better solution.

pizzacat

Banned
Some weekend JoJo to tie you over until those new characters are announced:

Fugo VS Johhny
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30082190

Fugo fights using a powerful flesh-eating virus. Basically, he's like FANG, but much more offensive orientated. His poison starts off about as weak as FANG's, but he can upgrade his stand from Purple Haze to Purple Haze Distortion by either doing a special command at low health, or by doing his ultra. Once he does this, all his special moves come out faster, recover faster, and hit harder. On top of that his poison becomes much more potent, dealing 100 damage by its self with each capsule. The average health is 1000. This means that every time he poisons you, you lose 10% from poison alone. Fugo starts each round with 6 poison capsules, so six blocktrings means 60% of your health gone without him even opening you up. He can poison you after a combo, which means every combo does an extra 10% free. If he poisons you after a throw, the throw essentially does double damage. Fugo can regain poison capsules by doing his super or his ultra. His upgraded poison really puts FANG's to shame. Especially since it gives him access to 90% combos.

Johhny has more than a few things that make him unique not only in this game, but in fighting games in general. For one, he rides a horse when he fights (Mounted). Mounted characters get a huge movement boost while riding their horse. Side-steps and dashes move twice as far than other characters. Mounted characters can't throw while on their horse, but cannot be thrown. Not even command throws will work on them. Johnny is paralyzed from the waist down... so if he's knocked off his horse he can only crawl on the ground. Another big thing that sets him apart is that he's designed to 'learn' more moves as the match progresses. Doing a super takes his 'Act' one level higher, up to 4. Doing an ultra immediately takes you to Act 4. Each act unlocks more special moves, including a homing ground projectile, a teleport, and a bunch of other crazy projectiles. When he goes to Act 2, he gains a 'fingernail meter' (all of Johnny's projectiles are from him shooting his fingernails from his fingers). Using a projectile uses up a fingernail. If you use them all up, you have to wait a while before they grow back. You can drink herbal tea to speed up this process.

On top of all this, being a character from part 7 means he has access to the corpse parts. You might have seen this before, where there are strange objects laying on the ground. They are the body parts of Jesus Christ, and only Part 7 characters can pick them up. Picking them up gives a buff, with each one unlocking a new buff as you accumulate them. For Johnny, one part boosts his overall damage, two will add super-armor to his moves on top of that, and 3 parts will make him build more meter on top of the other two buffs.
Fugo play is so interesting

Drop some kira play when you can

shaowebb

Hmmmmmm...from the playstation interview today it almost sounds like infinity stones change your moveset tools not just buffs but perhaps like MKXL or Melty Blood special or normal changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5eMJonzkZI

It starts around 1hr 34 minutes but then after they talk about depth late in it they talk about "infinite possibilities" to movesets and how you can do MORE now than ever in movesets in this system than the assist one.

Dunno what they're actually getting at, but it sounds a lot like different stones may individually affect how each character's tools and movesets work and not just their "comeback buff" like when we saw the teleport dashing and wallbouncing.

New extended gameplay footage with 2 new reveals happens at 5:30 pst on ESPN when they re-air grand finals. Somewhere in there they will show the new reveals and extra footage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hmmmmmm...from the playstation interview today it almost sounds like infinity stones change your moveset tools not just buffs but perhaps like MKXL or Melty Blood special or normal changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5eMJonzkZI

It starts around 1hr 34 minutes but then after they talk about depth late in it they talk about "infinite possibilities" to movesets and how you can do MORE now than ever in movesets in this system than the assist one.

Dunno what they're actually getting at, but it sounds a lot like different stones may individually affect how each character's tools and movesets work and not just their "comeback buff" like when we saw the teleport dashing and wallbouncing.

New extended gameplay footage with 2 new reveals happens at 5:30 pst on ESPN when they re-air grand finals. Somewhere in there they will show the new reveals and extra footage.
Well, we already know Ryu gets a new wallbounce move, and says "Power Move."

From their phrasing though, I don't think it's character-specific.

shaowebb

Its how he said "you can do more now than in the old games because of stones" and then his excited babble that almost got away from him that seemed more like he was talking about more moves and tools depending on stones than just more moves and tools during that powered up comeback state. Everyone seems to get the same new tools I guess in the powered up states from what we gather but they might also be getting moveset changed on their normals and specials outside of that state depending on the stones chosen like in Melty Blood/MKXL.

Unless activating gem states like the ones shown is a very frequent thing you can do that is, then he really is just talking about that.

Might be more than one reason besides needing a better S for tag combos to explain Ironman's moveset changes if they went Meltyblood/MKXL with what gems do. If gems also function as MK "Styles" then who knows what all changes. This would go against their keeping it simple for casuals IMO though...try picking up Melty Blood with 30+ cast and 3 movesets with different normals, specials, and mechanics per character. You get overwhelmed because there are 90 movesets to figure out and remember during matchups. If gems permachanged too much during selection in terms of normals/specials per character it'd be too much unless every character had very similar specials and normals that all functioned the same added in spite of the differing animations.

I honestly dont expect us to have a true handle on this till maybe EVO or something when they're further along. They seem to be touch and go on the system as they move along right now.

Seyavesh

I mentioned that, it becomes so obvious you're going to tag though.

Also I forgot about Simple Mode. Never mind all that, that was a better solution.

idk what your experience is with casual players vs. mine but over the course of the 5 years i've been playing it at various local venues or with casual friends, whenever i see casual players who know the controls to some degree fight, they're tagging like fucking crazy because it's super hard to predict for them and harder to punish if you're not ready for it.

my definition for casual is probably way different than yours because these are people who can do quarter circles, though. even folks who play on simple or can only press buttons do it a whole lot when told how it works, though- there's no "alright i guess i die now because i was too obvious in tagging" because of the general skill level there.

my experience really just runs fully counter to yours, i guess. i dunno

People got confused with the holding down of the button too. Since if you do it in the air it won't go and they just end up holding on to it forever going "why isn't it switching?"

the basic logic of "oh, i gotta be on the ground to switch my character" is pretty easy to explain, in the same manner of "oh, this move only is usable on the ground"- if they can't get past that basic logical barrier with an explanation then they're pretty much hopeless to begin with.

as for the ryu/power gem thing, he says "power mode!" and then activates it's mode/the "power gem" x-factor by doing the 'crush gem in hand thing. the activation wallbounces the opponent so i'm betting one of the gems is going to have a burst based on that, haha.

besides that, in the combo with the power gem activated he does 2 wallbounces (via 2 donkey kicks) so i'm guessing that gem is going to strictly be for simple damage boosting in combos rather than variable toolset usages in exchange for being able to burst instead of an x-factor damage boost as the unique toolset method of balancing out it's otherwise narrow usage (combo only)

this would fit in with the sfxt tagging system/free tagging system since it's airborne too. that's one of those kind of things where you'd have a method of dealing with bursts that arises out of a common/natural gameplay mechanic.

edit:
also guessing based off power mode ryu otging captain marvel with ground normals, comboing off KDs with any move is going to be back but there won't be j.S style spikes

and looking at the trailer again for the third time now, i can see that the time stone powerup mode lets you basically do melty blood style reverse beats except you can continue the chain infinitely i guess- cap marvel does something like cr.H(slide)->st.LMHM cr.H st.L before it cuts to another shot

shaowebb

It's just PR talk.

For now its all I can choose to believe. They dont seem 100% on their own standards even so far as number of buttons so there isn't much we can try to nail down as a solid fact. Just too little shown and too little finalized by the team.

One thing is certain though...it sure did look fun :)

Dahbomb

It's just PR talk.
Yup. No need to read between the lines of PR guys talking about mechanics. Their job is to sell the game and they will say whatever they need to in order to sell the game.

Let's wait for some actual game play footage, control scheme lay out and top player breakdown feedback (though these days you have to be careful about that too).

My hope is that the Infinity Stones have a passive buff/boost to your characters where their move properties are altered and then an exaggerated super buff that's like XF. That's probably more interesting than just a straight one time buff.

Seyavesh said:
also guessing based off power mode ryu otging captain marvel with ground normals, comboing off KDs with any move is going to be back but there won't be j.S style spikes
Captain Marvel was spiking a character down in the game play trailer.

shaowebb

My hope is that the Infinity Stones have a passive buff/boost to your characters where their move properties are altered and then an exaggerated super buff that's like XF. That's probably more interesting than just a straight one time buff.

Oh for certain it is. That was the best thing I enjoyed about Arcanas. Even though some were all about setting you up to maximize extend force (xfactor) buffs most were more fun simply because of the passive changes they added to your character like extra air actions, poison off of normals, and other shit.

Passive changes and extra moves are the shit. Comeback buff states shouldn't be the focus, just an exciting climax.

Seyavesh

Captain Marvel was spiking a character down in the game play trailer.

are you talking about the TAC thing? that ground bounced and even did the TAC style flash, which is different from a j.S after a launch combo. that might just be an air normal that ground bounces though, idk- it definitely did not look like a spike in the same vein as mvc3 where they go into knockdown state

anyhow, edited in some more stuff re: time gem in my previous post. it's actually pretty interesting, much more so than the shoddy looking teleport

edit:
also cap. marvel's st.m is gonna fuck people up lol, it's a hop kick that looks like it'd high profile/crush most cr.l/ms.

was mistaken in my seeing a cut to a different scene though, based on the hitspark it just zoomed in rather being a clever cut so that was st.lh->some punch combo looking move->super at the end there

Skab

He says "Power stone." Because he's using the power stone.

Just like how Cap Marvel says "Time stone!" before her little teleport dash thing behind Ryu.

tumblr_ohnawgoSsY1roqazpo1_540.jpg

Hey all, I've played fighting games plenty of times but would like to start playing more seriously and am looking for an arcade stick to get started. I don't need an intense stick yet, but just something that won't break the bank and still plays alright.

I play entirely on PC and ps4 for fighting games, and I know most games work fine on PC with a ps4 stick. What should I look into getting?

Thanks.

Hey all, I've played fighting games plenty of times but would like to start playing more seriously and am looking for an arcade stick to get started. I don't need an intense stick yet, but just something that won't break the bank and still plays alright.

I play entirely on PC and ps4 for fighting games, and I know most games work fine on PC with a ps4 stick. What should I look into getting?

Thanks.

Give us a budget.

notworksafe

For PS4/PC these days my go to recommendation is always the HRAP4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SULMRI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
MadCatz stuff is just too overpriced for how low quality it has gotten.

None of the "budget" stick options are honestly worth a shit this gen either. Extremely low quality parts, difficult to mod for the most part, or in the case of Hori's mini stick: made too small for human hands to use comfortably.

The Qanba Drone is probably the best middle ground stick. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I0GEDEY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It's not overly expensive but has bad parts in it that you'll want to replace. Luckily it's pretty easy. I'll still recommend the Hori over it, but if you can't swing $150 the Drone will do. Heads up, if you eventually want to put better quality parts in the Drone, it'd about $50+shipping. So keep that in mind.

notworksafe

Hmm. I dunno, I see the average price is like $150 for the Hori sticks. Maybe something closer to that in price? I just don't need a pro stick is all.
At the $150 level, the Hori HRAP4 I linked above is the best one out there by far. Parts feel quality, stick case is solid and comfortable, plus it has a touchpad if you need it.

Hmm. I dunno, I see the average price is like $150 for the Hori sticks. Maybe something closer to that in price? I just don't need a pro stick is all.

The $150 Hori sticks are "pro" quality. Personally, I was not a fan of the HRAP4, and I had to mod the Hayabusa stick out for a Seimitsu. That said, the mod was only an extra $20 or so, and you might like the Hayabusa.

notworksafe

The $150 Hori sticks are "pro" quality. Personally, I was not a fan of the HRAP4, and I had to mod the Hayabusa stick out for a Seimitsu. That said, the mod was only an extra $20 or so, and you might like the Hayabusa.

Arcade Shock is actually selling full Seimitsu HRAP4s for $159 and full Sanwa ones for $155 now. They are a great deal and a smart idea on their part.

Seyavesh

speaking of stick parts, does anyone know what the status is for the gamerfinger buttons? i know they stopped produced/finished selling the stock but is there any estimate for when the new version/stock will be ready? i need replacements because the snap-in liner broke on a button, which mega sucks because the switch is still perfectly fine after like 4 years of constant use and super hard mashing

also boy howdy there better be character themes in mvc4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom