• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Their relationship as in Marvel is just released once and forgotten about while SF gets continuously updated?
I'm talking about how both received support from Capcom competitively until the license for the MvC3 games expired. Even if both get long-term support, the two games are different enough to allow for both to co-exist.

Tripon

Why CEO over Evo?
Terms of scales I guess. EVO is already at 11,000 entries. Even if CEO grows, it's not going to be that much bigger than it was this year. I doubt Jebailey tries to go beyond 1,024 for Smash 4 and SFV when both didn't cap.

It'll be a smaller event, so it'll also be an more intimate event.

notworksafe

Why CEO over Evo?

EVO is more of a video game convention with a fighting game bent now. I'm not a fan of the multiple venue thing or it not being in a hotel. Also I would use an EVO trip as a way to see family in Vegas, but they have now moved out of Nevada.

CEO is a bit smaller, more tourney focused, and the arcade there is just awesome. Plus I've gone to six EVOs now. Time to change it up and check out other events. At some point I want to check out Canada Cup and Final Round as well.

Zackat

Playing USF4 online... is it bad that I miss this game?

I don't like it as much as 5, but I suck. It was well crafted for it's audience at the time though so idk. No reason to stop playing it if you still like it. How is the population still on the platforms?

Oh one thing I dont miss is the training stage music. That was bad stuff.

EVO is more of a video game convention with a fighting game bent now. I'm not a fan of the multiple venue thing or it not being in a hotel. Also I would use an EVO trip as a way to see family in Vegas, but they have now moved out of Nevada.

CEO is a bit smaller, more tourney focused, and the arcade there is just awesome. Plus I've gone to six EVOs now. Time to change it up and check out other events. At some point I want to check out Canada Cup and Final Round as well.
Makes sense.

Playing USF4 online... is it bad that I miss this game?
Play what you love.

Watching NLBC makes me realize SFV has robbed players of their personality. Smug vs. Shine used to be so interesting, they used to play so unique in comparison but now they might as well be the same player. You never see anything unique or exciting it's just the same shit. Talk shit about USF4 all you want but it had tons of personality and everyone had their own unique take on stuff.

Zackat

Watching NLBC makes me realize SFV has robbed players of their personality. Smug vs. Shine used to be so interesting, they used to play so unique in comparison but now they might as well be the same player. You never see anything unique or exciting it's just the same shit. Talk shit about USF4 all you want but it had tons of personality and everyone had their own unique take on stuff.

This game is 4 months old without any big updates. I get what you are saying though, but I feel it will come with time. And if not then there will be other cool games I'm sure.

This game is 4 months old without any big updates. I get what you are saying though, but I feel it will come with time. And if not then there will be other cool games I'm sure.

In SF4's life span this was when Art went crazy with Seth at the NYC WCG event and blew everyone's mind. Sanford Won the CF tournament with freakin Cammy who everyone thought sucked & won a trip to EVO. The game was exciting and new tech was being discovered all the time. 4 months in and SFV has been figured out. Only thing giving the game the illusion of freshness are all the character DLC that we already should have had at launch just like SF4 with Rose, Sakura, Cammy, Fei, Dan, Gen, Gouken, and Seth.

Durden77

In SF4's life span this was when Art went crazy with Seth at the NYC WCG event and blew everyone's mind. Sanford Won the CF tournament with freakin Cammy who everyone thought sucked & won a trip to EVO. The game was exciting and new tech was being discovered all the time. 4 months in and SFV has been figured out. Only thing giving the game the illusion of freshness are all the character DLC that we already should have had at launch just like SF4 with Rose, Sakura, Cammy, Fei, Dan, Gen, Gouken, and Seth.

Think you're jumping to conclusions. Player's personalities do transfer into SFV, just in a more ingrained and subtle way. CEO showed this off very well. I also don't think it has been "figured out" either. Tokido vs Infil was so exciting at CEO because the match was really different, and seeing Tokido use awesome tech and generally get a pin on Ifil's style that has been so hard to grasp in a brand new way is proof in itself that this game and it's players are evolving.

The game itself has got evovling to do too, there's no telling where it will be at in a few years. Plus it's just way more fun, real, and just a better Street Fighter game imo. That will keep people like me interested for a long, long time alone.

And we are talking about "the first 4 months" but remember the US did get the arcade release as well back in August 2008 so really that was all part of the first year which was none stop drama, technology, and excitement.

Think you're jumping to conclusions. Player's personalities do transfer into SFV, just in a more ingrained and subtle way. CEO showed this off very well. I also don't think it has been "figured out" either. Tokido vs Infil was so exciting at CEO because the match was really different, and seeing Tokido use awesome tech and generally get a pin on Ifil's style that has been so hard to grasp in a brand new way is proof in itself that this game and it's players are evolving.

The game itself has got evovling to do too, there's no telling where it will be at in a few years. Plus it's just way more fun, real, and just a better Street Fighter game imo. That will keep people like me interested for a long, long time alone.

Tokido didn't use any tech to beat Infiltration, he just adapted to his play style. The only relevant tech people have been using is the jump OS.
Also please remember this game has been designed to have no "tech" as stated by Capcom themselves. How's the game going to evolve to when it's design not to have game evolving tech?
You know what the sickest part of SFV at CEO was? Daigo using raw Tatsu to beat the OS jump tech. That was amazing, smart, and how fighting games should evolve. Yet this OS will most likely be patched and we will be robbed of awesome tech moments like that and go back to the same old shimmy throw meta.

Durden77

And we are talking about "the first 4 months" but remember the US did get the arcade release as well back in August 2008 so really that was all part of the first year which was none stop drama, technology, and excitement.

SF4 was also the first Street fighter game/update to release in 10 years. And it was releasing into a far different world than 3rd Strike did. It naturally had a certain freshness and excitement that this game could never really hope to achieve in it's release no matter how good it is.

Tokido didn't use any tech to beat Infiltration, he just adapted to his play style. The only relevant tech people have been using is the jump OS.

If you wanna get all technical about tech

These things take time. The Ryu mirrors at CEO had a lot of personality.

I really like playing SFV, but I do agree with ZTS to an extent. Their isn't much to discover because I think Capcom designed it that way. So many things that people hated about SF4 are gone. But those things lead to so many cool discoveries that created hype moments. The game feels very straight forward and honest, which makes the game more relaxing to play but not as exciting to watch IMO.

Take Bison for example. When he got knocked down in SF4, I was always curious to see how top players would try to counter all his wake up options. And it would be hype to see the Bison player pay for not just blocking because he did get away a lot(and I know a lot of us hated that he could do that). In V, Bison just blocks and tries to tech throws. And the same goes for the majority of characters without a reversal.

In 4 their were a wide variety of ways to pressure or mix up. In V it feels like every character is doing throw/shimmy. I even find the footsie battles to be less fun to watch. With weakened range and a lot of stuff being less safe people are afraid to get into each others range and whiff buttons or neutral jump wildly praying to catch their opponent dashing in because dashing is so good in this game. I still love watching it, but I'll probably never enjoy it as much as I did SF4 unless the next updates incorporate bigger changes.

ShinMaruku

I think people also forget that sf4 had years of iteration and this is a cyclical thing. There is also the fact that the NA playerbase is so weak. :p

I think they wanted SFV to be similar to SF2. Where it was mostly basic. A back and forth tug of war of footsies. The problem is with 8f delay it really affects that type of gameplay in a negative way. Most average everyday scrub like me and most people who play SFV online will not feel this. But at a very high level it becomes a problem. But I fear they made SFV too "simplified" and it backfired on them. They made it like that hoping that more casuals will get into the game. But what they didn't realize casuals got no interesting in learning FGs. They just wanna play the AI and move on. Big mistake catering to casuals IMO when it comes to development of the engine. FG developers should just ignore what casuals want in a FG engine. Just chuck in a Arcade mode and 2 hours story mode to get their business IMO. And develop the engine based on competitive play.

petghost

Banned
I think people also forget that sf4 had years of iteration and this is a cyclical thing. There is also the fact that the NA playerbase is so weak. :p

yeah i often forget this.

I think they wanted SFV to be similar to SF2. Where it was mostly basic. A back and forth tug of war of footsies. The problem is with 8f delay it really affects that type of gameplay in a negative way

i think if the footsie game was fire people would find it hard to complain. a good neutral game even if its basic is very exciting and subtly complex. to me it seems a bit boring but i cant place my finger on exactly why. it seems like people are often standing in the same spot hitting buttons for a kinda long amount of time as opposed to moving in and out of poke range which lead me to believe walkspeeds are too slow but some chars like vega seemingly have a walkspeed capable of that kind of game. also jumping seems great.

my criticisms come from a place of ignorance tho i dont really play it i just seen it.

Durden77

Just because SF5 is more straightforward does not mean it can't evolve in it's own way. SF4 eventually started looking like a line of code late in it's life. That's cool and all, but I prefer a fighting game to be more of a game rather than more of a series of systems. And because of that I am greatly enjoying seeing things like Tokido parry Infil's Nash super for the first time in grand finals, getting a type of grip on Infil that he has never had before. Seeing Kenny Omega's Alex legit stomp because he knows how to play Street Fighter and that's all this game really asks. Seeing Momochi's Ken finally come together. Shit like that.

Oh and most of all, I love seeing myself improve. Which I see far more clearly than in SF4.

Really it just comes down to do you think SF5 is fun and are you enjoying it's life and what it's going for or not? If you prefer SF4, there's nothing wrong with playing it besides that you're wrong.

I really want a recreation of the Evo 2009 SF4 Grand Finals this year. Daigo is chilling in winners with his Ryu, while Justin has fought hard to make it to GF. His Karin gets dismantled in seconds, and so he pulls out a Balrog and puts up an incredible match, and actually win this time.

Will never happen, but it's fun to dream.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The neutral game is just a little lacking, but I can't imagine they can change that since they would have to look at pretty much every move of every character to do that.

What people also forget is how later SF4 barely made sense for viewers. You watched a Cammy vs Akuma AE match and players get hit by the weirdest shit, because offense covered so many options. All these setups and option selects became a fight against the input buffer and they had to make some pretty big changes in Ultra, 6 years after the first release, to nerf that atleast a little bit.

What I think V's problem is: the V-System.
It was supposed to bring the depth and the variety, that was the whole idea aka "we don't want a big universal mechanic that the whole game revolves around". Well, it doesn't deliver. Most V-Skills are not on the level of Ryu's parry but instead are just pretty simple boring moves. I think this is where they can really improve the game: go much crazier with the V-System. More Fang, less Cammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom