• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Remind me if Bloody Roar 4 was any good?
I was told that it's systems were very dumbed down from the previous game.

WNF is so amazing right now. ChrisG Vs. Reynalds was such a godlike set. And Sajam and TastySteve always kill me with their freedom jokes when commentating Guile.

NEO0MJ

go much crazier with the V-System. More Fang, less Cammy.

Cammy is just the worst. Like, there are a few other boring ones but in her case they just took an old move and changed the input!

I'm curious as well. Didn't have a PS2 so I never got to try it.

Admittedly, I only played Bloody Roar 2 and 4, and I didn't really play 4 all that much, but I don't remember it being dumbed down that much.

A lot of characters felt the same as they did in Bloody Roar 2 and there was certainly a similar level of depth.

Though I might not be remembering it correctly tbh.

pixelish

i think judging a game's 'hype' potential by looking at plays made by 'top' nyc players back then and now is a bit naive as the players back then were much stronger in vanilla sf4 than the players now in sfv. i find myself being way more entertained with wnf than nlbc these days because the wnf players are much stronger than their nyc counterpart.

Infinite

I like how this current conversation started on how two great, but not exceptional players that play the exact same character have similar playstyles from a viewer perspective of someone who isn't even invested in the game. And that's some how supposed to be an indictment of how bad SFV is? lol

mbpm1

What I think V's problem is: the V-System.
It was supposed to bring the depth and the variety, that was the whole idea aka "we don't want a big universal mechanic that the whole game revolves around". Well, it doesn't deliver. Most V-Skills are not on the level of Ryu's parry but instead are just pretty simple boring moves. I think this is where they can really improve the game: go much crazier with the V-System. More Fang, less Cammy.

There needs to be more than this

What that would be, I don't know

Pompadour

The neutral game is just a little lacking, but I can't imagine they can change that since they would have to look at pretty much every move of every character to do that.

What people also forget is how later SF4 barely made sense for viewers. You watched a Cammy vs Akuma AE match and players get hit by the weirdest shit, because offense covered so many options. All these setups and option selects became a fight against the input buffer and they had to make some pretty big changes in Ultra, 6 years after the first release, to nerf that atleast a little bit.

What I think V's problem is: the V-System.
It was supposed to bring the depth and the variety, that was the whole idea aka "we don't want a big universal mechanic that the whole game revolves around". Well, it doesn't deliver. Most V-Skills are not on the level of Ryu's parry but instead are just pretty simple boring moves. I think this is where they can really improve the game: go much crazier with the V-System. More Fang, less Cammy.

The V-Skill system was really just a way for them to give a simple input to something so casual players can press two buttons and pull off a move. It also feeds into the V-Trigger where, again, you press two buttons and you can do something flashy. Capcom has been stressing the importance of giving casual players a way to do something with simple inputs since SF4. Frankly, they could have just made all V-Skills special moves with the attribute that they feed the V-Gauge but the game would mostly be the same.

I'd rework a few V-Skills to be more unique/flashy, though. Ken's run seems so boring when Rashid's dash is already a run. I'd prefer if they just gave Ken a run as his dash and created a whole new V-Skill for him.

jbug617

Banned
Did they ever say what was the bonus for the season pass owners? I think it was suppose to be an extra stage or something like that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rework a few V-Skills to be more unique/flashy, though. Ken's run seems so boring when Rashid's dash is already a run. I'd prefer if they just gave Ken a run as his dash and created a whole new V-Skill for him.
See, I actually think Ken's run is exactly what that system should be. Something that really differentiates a character, something that would be a whole system in another game (which it is in KOF).

Producer

I like how this current conversation started on how two great, but not exceptional players that play the exact same character have similar playstyles from a viewer perspective of someone who isn't even invested in the game. And that's some how supposed to be an indictment of how bad SFV is? lol

lol im not the only one who noticed that.

pixelish

the full potential of daiGOAT will be unleashed at evo?

J I Y U N A ‏@jiyunaJP 2m
Daigo said on BeasTV, "I think I can do well at EVO. I'll be ready in 2 weeks."

First time he's stated any sort confidence in #SFV.

BadWolf

the full potential of daiGOAT will be unleashed at evo?

Well he did much better against Tokido and Haitani this time, the later in particular destroyed him the last time they played iirc.

It would be great if he makes top 8, won't be holding my breath though.

BadWolf

『Inaba Resident』;208774008 said:
I feel like Daigo is gonna do good. There was notable improvement at CEO. Reminds me of when he first started using E.Ryu and he wasn't doing too hot at first, or maybe I'm misremembering

The first EVO he used E. Ryu at was horrible for him.

He traveled a lot more this time though, with E. Ryu he mostly stayed in Japan in the beginning.

miserable

Guys, what are your impressions of the Madcatz Fightpad Pro? I have a chance to buy one fairly cheap, is it worth it? Mainly gonna be playing SF5 and KOF when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom