• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If a mod or Shouta is up for it. I would do it this way. Every time there is a major, move the thread to gaming and put the tournament in the title. When tournament is done, change the title back and move the thread back to community. Rinse and repeat for the next 4000 years. No one has to ever make a thread, etc. Most people do not read the OP anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

Did that thing w/ Tripon and the FTW threads ever get cleared up? (Not seeing one for NEC, unless im missing it.)

Yes, but they were too busy to make a thread for NEC:
Let's go with that.

Shouta helped me out and I can create threads again, but this was finals week at school and I was basically trying to make sure all my kids were going to pass. So uh, basically, I'm taking a break.

shaowebb

Anime fighters are fly as fuck. I'll watch or play any of em. They tend to take more risks these days and the systems are always interesting to me. Kind of digging Blade Arcus lately for its systems honestly. Two person team and you choose each round who is in and who is the assist with a seperate meter for assist calling and 3 different assist moves per character is nice.

Hell its more than MVCI has for a two man tag setup and assists and it'd works pretty well honestly. Wouldn't mind seeing the Blade Arcus assist meter and 3 move thing get stolen for that game. Kind of neat deciding whether to blow an assist early or save the bar for the more powerful assist move.

Neat that BA also has a dash cancel button standard too.

petghost

Banned
Her character or her moveset

Juri is still Juri, she's this wild card who loves violence, fueled on some vague revenge we don't have full context off

Her movset, oh yeah they fucked her shit all up in 5. The update needs to just make juri sf4 juri

The moveset of course. She still looks cool but who gives a fuck she's so boring.

sibarraz

Banned
Best Option for pad warriors on xbox one? I was about to buy a fight stick but those are not that common in my country (for xbox one at least)

At least with the regular controller I have lots of problems doing some things in KI and MK10. Don't know if the elite is good

Village

The moveset of course. She still looks cool but who gives a fuck she's so boring.

I don'tt think she's boring. Her movesets just kind of bad, her and Ibuki seem like hard responses to the complaints of characters from previous games having movesets too simular that don't work in the game they are in currently. One I never really agreed with that complaint, but two it actively made those characters worse with extra uneeded complications when there are characters on the roster like alex and urien who haven't been in main line sf in years who have similar move sets are who are at least to me, two of the most fun characters to play as. Juri should have been relatively the same with minor changes but we got this.

petghost

Banned
Less an Arcana Heart 4 announcement and more of the intention to make a new Arcana Heart game with not formal announcement yet.
Examu is looking to further build "Team Arcana" which has been created. Looks like they are going to do some sort of crowd-sourced brainstorming: https://lounge.dmm.com/detail/272/
I'd expect an official announcement mid-late next year.

You think they gonna reuse the same sprites or move on to something else?

Kumubou

You think they gonna reuse the same sprites or move on to something else?
Those sprites are also a decade old. :V And frankly, they were never intended to be used in HD-era games. I guess I wonder if they really have any desire to make a game that could pull in anyone outside of the series' existing fanbase... but if they don't do that, I don't see how it would ever make enough money to justify its existence. Besides, the recycling is bad enough as it is (I swear, a lot of the sprite work in N+B are just traced over AH/AP sprites), and that would lock them out from other changes, such as character re-designs.

...although going the 3D route and ending up with a game that looks like KoF XIV isn't exactly appealing, either.

I also honestly wonder if trying to get that much feedback from the fanbase really is a good idea. If you think the character designs are bad now, wait until you have the game's fanbase signing off on them. D:

Anne

Which reminds me of how bizarre it is when commentators will talk about how Americans were actually practicing like it's some exceptional thing. "Ricki really wants to do well at Capcom Cup, she's been playing a lot this past week with the other EG players!" or remember last year when Justin learning option selects was like this big talking point. Wow ok cool.

This is so sad :<

Pro teams in other games practice 8 hours a day exclusively with other pro teams on top of learning and outside play. I know it isn't possible without a sponsor, but at least serious practice on a near daily basis should be the minimum top players are doing.

Doesn't Du do a ton of serious homework and online grinding near daily to keep himself strong?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Your average day kid plays nearly 8 hours a day in all sorts of games. People who grind Esports games are way more crazy than FGC people. They factor in their diet and everything.

Kumubou

This is so sad :<

Pro teams in other games practice 8 hours a day exclusively with other pro teams on top of learning and outside play. I know it isn't possible without a sponsor, but at least serious practice on a near daily basis should be the minimum top players are doing.

Doesn't Du do a ton of serious homework and online grinding near daily to keep himself strong?
Wouldn't this go back to there just not being enough money in fighting games to justify it?

As an example, watching Justin Wong play SF5 was always a bit frustrating since he wasn't doing stuff every other Karin player near that level would do... but when you think about it, it makes sense. He works at least 40 hours a week (and knowing a lot of tech jobs, it might be a fair bit more than that) and is traveling every weekend to events. There really isn't a ton of time for him to practice (or do anything else, really). Granted, there may be some optimizations that could be made (such as spending the flight time watching match videos) but who knows if he's already doing that or has to do other things (like work).

So yes, it would be nice if top FG players could put into the time into training and film study that professionals in other sports and games do. It would also be nice for the developer/publisher of said game to make a product that could actually support such an enterprise, but we're stuck with a bunch of middling (at best) boutique Japanese developers that can barely cover their own paychecks.

Your average day kid plays nearly 8 hours a day in all sorts of games. People who grind Esports games are way more crazy than FGC people. They factor in their diet and everything.
Again, that comes down to the money. And let's not like act even LoL LCS teams are rolling in dough. Most (all?) of them don't make enough money from the pro games themselves and need to augment their revenue from a number of other sources... and some of them still don't end up in the black anyway.

Sayad

Wouldn't this go back to there just not being enough money in fighting games to justify it?

As an example, watching Justin Wong play SF5 was always a bit frustrating since he wasn't doing stuff every other Karin player near that level would do... but when you think about it, it makes sense. He works at least 40 hours a week (and knowing a lot of tech jobs, it might be a fair bit more than that) and is traveling every weekend to events. There really isn't a ton of time for him to practice (or do anything else, really). Granted, there may be some optimizations that could be made (such as spending the flight time watching match videos) but who knows if he's already doing that or has to do other things (like work).
JWong was streaming about 4 hours a day during MKX and SFV early weeks, and he wasn't even streaming his training sessions, just plays ranked for the chat, this was while still offering paid training... I really doubt his job prevent him from training four or so hours a day!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Why no TS stream?

And Rah bored me to tears. It's probably one of those things where you have to experience it during it's time. Did not age well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom