• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

So going to my first tournament in a couple of days and man am I nervous. There's no doubt I'll be double eliminated from most games and get exposed as a fraud so I was wondering how to best mingle with the crowd. I'm often a nervous wreck and unfortunately Notworksafe drinking isn't an option for me :p

Man, KI animations are pretty bad.

I rather like some moves and think they're cool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tripon

Yeah, just find the game you like and play some casuals. Just ask when you can get on the machine, unless you just want to watch.

Onemic

So going to my first tournament in a couple of days and man am I nervous. There's no doubt I'll be double eliminated from most games and get exposed as a fraud so I was wondering how to best mingle with the crowd. I'm often a nervous wreck and unfortunately Notworksafe drinking isn't an option for me :p

First Tournament butterflies. That happened to me at Toryuken so I know that feel. Tbh just try and stay calm and do the things that you know you can do 100% of the time, even if it's not optimal. I thought I would go 0-2 when I started, but I ended up going 2-2 and actually came very close to beating a really good local player too.

Kalamari

Play as much as you can, tournaments are a great place for practice. and to learn from other players. Don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Sayad

My first regional tournament too.

Did you sign up for Xrd? Competition there is pretty tough, basically, those who still play the game and are willing to travel for it at this point are pretty damn good. I face the best Chip in the region first round and if I somehow manage to sneak a win(not gonna happen), I'd probably face the best Sin in round 2. I be super happy if I don't go 0-2 in Xrd, think I played less than 3 hours of Xrd this past 3 weeks(fuck Overwatch). :D

Also, they ran a vote and people voted to use the patched version of SFV a day after the patch(democracy strike again ;p). Everyone will be playing a semi new game in SFV.

Don't worry too much about blinding in, just ask if you could join at a casual station and everything will go smoothly from there.

My first tournament was evo and I went 4-2 in pools so that helped, but evo attracts so many people that its pretty easy to not go 0-2.

The most fun I've had at tournaments is always casuals though. Winter Brawl turned out to be a lot of fun this past year just because of the amount of cool people I found playing casuals.

Rhapsody

Banned

My advice is chat with people a bit maybe before or after the set. Easiest way to get to know people. Some of them might be helpful and end up giving really solid advice. Regardless, it'll help you ease into the tourney environment.

Also be in the mindset that you're going to wreck some people in sets, make them scared of this newcomer. You want to prove you can do well, don't have the intention of being a pot monster.

NEO0MJ

Thanks for the tips, everyone <3

I've only ever been to one tournament and made it to 4th place >_>

Must have been a tournaments of frauds...like me!

My first regional tournament too.

Also, they ran a vote and people voted to use the patched version of SFV a day after the patch(democracy strike again ;p). Everyone will be playing a semi new game in SFV.

Don't worry too much about blinding in, just ask if you could join at a casual station and everything will go smoothly from there.

I joined every game other than KOF, even the side tournaments!

Also be in the mindset that you're going to wreck some people in sets, make them scared of this newcomer. You want to prove you can do well, don't have the intention of being a pot monster.

You can't fight nature, Rhapsody... Wind blows, rain falls, and the strong prey upon the weak.

More seriously, I haven't been practicing enough at all and even though I've been trying to play a bit these last few days match-up inexperience will be the death of me.

Don't be afraid to regulate and ask firmly for dudes to get off setups if you want to play. A lot of setup hogs at tournaments. They'll stay on forever if you let them get away with it.

0gVPsq0.png

Man, I thought I'd never see the day.

edit: lol my post is the same as dahbomb's

Beckx

were the different fighting game online experiences of 7th gen to blame on differences in the netcode (different netcode in UMvC3 X360 v PS3) or the different online infrastructure of XBL v PSN?

I appreciate all the love that PC is getting with fighters. As a fighting game fan that switched to PC this generation the lack of fighters was going to be a big hit for me. But now I can play all of the ones I want on PC.

KI
Marvel 3
Infinite
SFV
Tekken 7

I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom