• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

All you'd need for advertisement is Ryu and Goku doing a beam battle with Shinku Hadoken vs Kamehameha.

Seriously, that's it. No other advertisement. Just a trailer with that imagery, the title "Capcom vs Shounen Jump", and a release date. Boom. Millions of buys.

I need this so I can have Jotaro, Kenshiro, and Gene from God Hand do a team super of a billion blazing fists.

FACE

Banned
I'm not sure why people keep mentioning smash in that casuals thred when the title clearly says 'fighting games' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

notworksafe

C0IXFW7W8AASGZt.jpg

Permanently A

From the "what do casual players want from fighting games" thread:

4) make it an open world RPG

that sounds dope actually ecks dee

I think my first and second points are fairly salient, my third point is more to think along the lines of "how do we keep the casual playerbase interested in the multiplayer?" And Smash is the only fighting game to tap into that space of play. I don't see what's wrong with being a little more freeform and opening up the possibilities of what's possible in a genre. I mean I'm sure some RTS player scoffed when they heard about DOTA.

Wild Card

that sounds dope actually ecks dee

I think my first and second points are fairly salient, my third point is more to think along the lines of "how do we keep the casual playerbase interested in the multiplayer?" And Smash is the only fighting game to tap into that space of play. I don't see what's wrong with being a little more freeform and opening up the possibilities of what's possible in a genre. I mean I'm sure some RTS player scoffed when they heard about DOTA.

From my point of view it's not that there's something wrong, or someone shouldn't try, but the idea is of little interest to me. So they can experiment, but I don't have to be interested, and people trying to change established games for the sake of wider appeal is inevitably going to rub people the wrong way.

CO_Andy

it would be nice if fighting games took a few notes from Smash. not the gameplay, but the crazy amount of content to feed a starving casual

Open world aside, i think if a fighting game had a single player mode that's basically a jrpg except the fights are the normal 1v1 kind... that would be swell.

If it had a decent story and there'd be customization and levelling and stuff i think the casuals would like it a lot. And even the hardcore could enjoy it as a diversion.

Don't think it's impossible either, the older Soul Caliburs had something that got sorta close to this and there's also jrpgs that try to get closer to a fighting game with their battle mechanics.

NEO0MJ

Oh god, you guys were right about the smell at tournaments 😷
I mean I'm not sure why but it absolutely reeks here. Sorry local chaps but you need to shower more.

Kumubou

Open world aside, i think if a fighting game had a single player mode that's basically a jrpg except the fights are the normal 1v1 kind... that would be swell.

If it had a decent story and there'd be customization and levelling and stuff i think the casuals would like it a lot. And even the hardcore could enjoy it as a diversion.

Don't think it's impossible either, the older Soul Caliburs had something that got sorta close to this and there's also jrpgs that try to get closer to a fighting game with their battle mechanics.
The problem with having such an involved combat system in an RPG game is that it makes encounters extremely difficult to tune well, as now you need to account for both the stats and skills of the characters and the possible deltas in DPS done and taken by player skill. What difficulty are you tuning for? If you assume the person playing the game isn't going to have a ton of experience with action games, then someone who does ends up making every encounter look like a joke. The other way around may be worse -- if you tune assuming that people are going to be reasonably skilled at the mechanics and have the right levels, anyone coming in underleveled or underskilled is going to get smoked. (The Ys games actually kind of have this problem, which it solves by having hilariously extreme experience curves when you're under-leveled.) Whereas in a straight action game you're just putting up a sign that says "You must be at least this good to pass" and that's just kind of how the genre works. (Even tuning for that difficulty is hard enough, but that's another matter entirely.)

it would be nice if fighting games took a few notes from Smash. not the gameplay, but the crazy amount of content to feed a starving casual
Is this really the case, though? I guess with the current Smash game, anyway... you have the couple of standard battle mode the game has had since Meele and then you have some fluff side content which frankly, isn't very compelling. (If we're going to make a tangential comparison of tacked on single player modes, I would much rather play Splatoon's.)

Sayad

Oh god, you guys were right about the smell at tournaments 😷
I mean I'm not sure why but it absolutely reeks here. Sorry local chaps but you need to shower more.
No smell in GG side. ;p
what did you sign up as? Come say hi. :D

Nevermind recognized you from the stick.

The problem with having such an involved combat system in an RPG game is that it makes encounters extremely difficult to tune well, as now you need to account for both the stats and skills of the characters and the possible deltas in DPS done and taken by player skill.

Hm, that's true. But i think if done well it could give people the option to start working on their skill level while also having that fallback of 'just level some more by beating mooks' if something is still too hard for them.

shaowebb

ugh...two more twelve hours to go then back to 8 hour shifts for the next 7 days before the next set of twelves. Goodbye x-mas/new years.

Pick a fighter for me to play before bed folks. I need to hit something. I own them all.

shaowebb

For what its worth I believe there is a Nesica X front end and library dump floating online that happens to have Hokuto No Ken in the package for some reason. Heard about this trying to find out if there is anyway to play Arcana Heart Six Stars.

Not sure if that version is better than the PS2 import.

EDIT: Wow, it is crazy easy to pull off combos in Killer Instinct. Not too hard to start learning how fast your enemy moves come out to fumblefuck your way into pretty frequent combo breakers too. With experience I can see combos getting busted fast from folks so cashing out early and zonign would be good for me to play with I guess. Eyedol is surprisingly boss as fuck and easy to start shit with. Didn't expect to be feeling him this hard.

Kumubou

bring back Tobal 2's dungeon mode
That mode kind of proves my point, as it required you to know how to play both a fighting game and a rougelike and ended up being hard as balls. Took me a ton of effort to actually finish the damn thing when the game first came out.

Hm, that's true. But i think if done well it could give people the option to start working on their skill level while also having that fallback of 'just level some more by beating mooks' if something is still too hard for them.
This is similar to the approach that Iga's Castlevania games take. I guess the issue then is how do you balance between people being under and overleveled. I guess you could just tune the combat to be doable at level 1 (like a Dark Souls game) and just let people level from there as needed and then have other mechanics to encourage people to play at low of a level (or as hard of a difficulty) as possible.

In short, tuning videogames for difficulty is a pain in the ass. :p (Maybe shmup games were onto something with all the variations of rank that they have.)

Pick a fighter for me to play before bed folks. I need to hit something. I own them all.
You should totally play Aquapazza, especially since you love that game so much. :V

Lol I'm not quite following the poster's reason of not wanting the game to be 1v1. Teams would be worse because not only would he be getting bodied for not "gitting gud" but he would be letting down his teammates as well. Even in games with FFA like Smash you still need to play smart to survive during the chaos. If it's something like the BR mode in a Brawler like Anarchy Reigns, that's true depression. Instead of being dicked on by one person, you get dicked on by like 8 other people. I'm lost trying to understand this guy's line of thinking.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wolverine is supposed to be 5'3. I never knew he had the same height as Honzo. So he's like a midget tearing everybody up.

Sayad

ugh...two more twelve hours to go then back to 8 hour shifts for the next 7 days before the next set of twelves. Goodbye x-mas/new years.

Play along with fate and play SFV survival, make this the absolute worst Christmas ever, make it so whenever you have a bad Christmas you go "well, at least it's not Christmas 2016 bad"!

miku

Play along with fate and play SFV survival, make this the absolute worst Christmas ever, make it so whenever you have a bad Christmas you go "well, at least it's not Christmas 2016 bad"!

You forgot to mention to pick extreme difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom