• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayad

How I feel whenever I play GG.

Co3HoDgVYAAQFNj.jpg:large
Is that good or bad?!

qcf x2

So I just bought KoF XIII on Steam because it was $5. Is this actually playable online? I want to play against my friend (we're both EC, about 4 states apart) who I have a great connection with in fightcade. So far in KoF it's literally half second and worse delay.

petran79

Banned
So I just bought KoF XIII on Steam because it was $5. Is this actually playable online? I want to play against my friend (we're both EC, about 4 states apart) who I have a great connection with in fightcade. So far in KoF it's literally half second and worse delay.

find a server at 800 miles distance and check your connection for ping and jitter, just to be sure

http://www.pingtest.net/

JimiNutz

Banned
Need some advice fighting fans.
I told my girlfriend that I wanted to try and get good at Street Fighter so she bought me a mini Hori fight stick for the PS4.

I've never used a fight stick before and I like that this Hori stick isn't too big and I can play with it on my lap, but...

I am absolutely terrible with it.

I've looked up online tutorials showing me how to hold the stick itself and I've spent about an hour in the training mode trying to get the inputs down but I'm really struggling to land anything with any consistency.

In comparison when I use the standard DS4 controller I find it so much easier to pull off moves.

Should I stick with the stick or go back to the controller? I'm finding the game borderline unplayable with the stick at present :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I told my girlfriend that I wanted to try and get good at Street Fighter so she bought me a mini Hori fight stick for the PS4.

I've never used a fight stick before and I like that this Hori stick isn't too big and I can play with it on my lap, but...

I've looked up online tutorials showing me how to hold the stick itself and I've spent about an hour in the training mode trying to get the inputs down but I'm really struggling to land anything with any consistency.

In comparison when I use the standard DS4 controller I find it so much easier to pull off moves.

Should I stick with the stick or go back to the controller? I'm finding the game borderline unplayable with the stick at present :(

There is no benefit to using a stick over a pad, that myth has been completely obliterated at this point. Use what you find comfortable. Sticks are mostly for old fucks like myself who grew up in the arcade.

JimiNutz

Banned
There is no benefit to using a stick over a pad, that myth has been completely obliterated at this point. Use what you find comfortable. Sticks are mostly for old fucks like myself who grew up in the arcade.

Ah that's good to hear.
I thought fight sticks were superior so I was thinking I would try and solider on and get used to it but I'm really not finding it fun at all as I feel like I have no real control over the game. Back to the standard pad I go.

Wallach

learning a new controller type is a big learning curve no matter how you slice it

I wouldn't give up on it right away, the impulse is always there when it seems harder at first, but trust your gut if it really feels wrong to you

for me I felt like the buttons were so much better than controller but have always had a hard time with the joystick, which is why I play mostly on hitbox

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ah that's good to hear.
I thought fight sticks were superior so I was thinking I would try and solider on and get used to it but I'm really not finding it fun at all as I feel like I have no real control over the game. Back to the standard pad I go.

The best player in the world (Knuckledu) uses a DS4 as do many other top players, hell Louffy uses a ratty ass PS1 pad.

Sayad

There is, and vice versa, depending on the game. SFV certainly doesn't benefit stick users, but other games like Guilty Gear absolutely does.

FACE

Banned

It's not a myth depending on the game, try playing Vampire Savior on a pad.

cj_iwakura

I only use pad on SF and BB, but I can't get used to stick.

I'll be at Frosty Faustings, just confirmed the flight. Probably not entering the tournament proper, just Catherine.

Kalamari

Anne is right, sticks provide a great canvas for self expression. It's much harder to achieve the same with a pad.

And they just look a whole lot more cool.

Remember, don't shoot you're eye out kids.

I use a lot of different peripherals for different games. I use a pad for Street Fighter 5, a stick for KOF XIV, and a Hitbox for Killer Instinct, just to name a few.

I'd probably end up using both a stick and a pad for Tekken 7.

petran79

Banned

except in this case

250px-GGACR_Staggers.png

if you have a pad, you''ll be stuck and will end like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Sayad

And yet you play with pad :p
I try to switch every few months and give up after three to five days. :D

That's not to say GG can't be played with a pad, some of the best players are pad users. But characters like Zato, Johnny, Vanilla May and generally characters that require a lot of OSing(like I-No (ಥ﹏ಥ) ) will always give a bit of advantage to stick users.

I haven't played BBCF in a few weeks since Let It Die and other games in my backlog. But I went over a family friend's house after flying to NY and he had it. I had to play on pad and not stick, but it reminded me of how much I do like the game. Actually prefer it over Guilty Gear because that game feels like you get steamrolled into multiple setups. I still would like it to make another showing at Evo, though I don't think it will beat out GG.

It would take anyone longer than that to get acclimated with stick if you've never used one before. The fact that you're struggling doesn't at this point mean anything is wrong. That is 100% expected.

It's true that many people play on pad and do fine. But just keep in mind that the benefit of the stick is not in pulling off solitary moves, like a fireball - it's in the more advanced stuff. I find complex combos much easier on a stick than pad, because of the button layout. It's doing contortions with your right hand on a pad vs. tapping buttons like a piano on the stick. I don't think one needs an arcade background to at least see the ergonomic advantage there.

If you are fairly new to fighting games, but do really want to get good, I think you owe yourself more than an hour to at least see how you like the stick, especially since you've had a quality stick dropped in your lap, so to speak, something a lot of people don't have the luxury of.

If you're extremely certain you want to use stick, then use it and only it until you're comfortable with it. Depending on how much pad muscle memory you have built up, it could take weeks or months to create new habits. You'll have to get used to fucking up your inputs and holding L's due to that until you're good enough for it not to be a problem.

I picked up stick because I got tired of rubbing my thumbs raw and cramping my fingers on pad. Took me like 6 months to feel "comfortable". Now, playing a fighting game on pad feels about as foreign to me as playing on stick does to you. I love stick and I can't go back. I've sought out playing other arcade stick friendly games just to use it more often because I enjoy using it that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom