• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really considering doing this, you think it'd fly?

Anybody got any suggestions for big CMV makers for an OP?

gotta put in some desk combo vids of sf4. there was this pretty legit tekken combo vid that spanned multiple tekken games and might have been mishima only but I forget what it was called. Oh yea also moment 37. Can't forget that combo vid

I wish I could've explained Fuzzy Abare, Fuzzy Jump, Fuzzy Block and Fuzzy Throw this succinctly to my peers back in the day. The advise there is straight gold for any intermediate Gear player.

now you can teach count and vulva

shaowebb

speaking of arcade stuff, just picked this up! found a good excuse to buy up some CPS2 games!

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CEMnuCb.jpg?1[/img]

another scary arcade hardware collection habit begins!

Nice! Lately I keep thinking of taking the plunge at jammaparts.net on either a "Games Family Killer Edition 3100 In 1 P4 2.4" or the "Pandoras box 4" Jamma board. That way I could pretty much settle out my arcade needs in one shot by getting a dual stick and a monitor setup on one board since I have limited space. Couple hundred for the build and a ridiculous amount of arcade gold. Everything from Marvel to Esp.Ra.De and Progear is on these things.

Line_HTX

ATPLive's Bitch of the Year unanimously goes to Capcom. For every good thing that they did for SFV, there was always something really bad from launch to the start of Season 2. It's mind boggling how many problems there were throughout the year since February.

ATPLive's Bitch of the Year unanimously goes to Capcom. For every good thing that they did for SFV, there was always something really bad from launch to the start of Season 2. It's mind boggling how many problems there were throughout the year since February.

Its gonna happen when you rush a game. They really should've given one more year of development for the game, but they and/or Sony wanted it out early.

Hopefully the can rectify their mistakes and learn from this for future games.

Doomshine

The only award they deserve this year.

I'm sure MvCI will launch and hit the ground running because Capcom learned.

DeKappa

My expectations are low. I kind of expect a KOF XIV situation: game comes with all promised features, but the visuals are sub-par at launch. Down the line, the visuals get updated just like KOF XIV.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see if Capcom learns from SFV's launch.

Lulubop

I'm sure MvCI will launch and hit the ground running because Capcom learned.

DeKappa

My expectations are low. I kind of expect a KOF XIV situation: game comes with all promised features, but the visuals are sub-par at launch. Down the line, the visuals get updated just like KOF XIV.

Ya'll really think Marvel is gonna slap their name on the game and let this kinda fuckery happen?

Lulubop

Well you're buggin', especially when they made a big deal about taking their future gaming projects more seriously and not just farming them out.

Wasn't only the lighting updated? Game still looks the same otherwise. MvC:I will look better than KOF XIV no doubt, it probably will look as good as SFV by launch. The only character looking rough was Ryu..

I don't have faith in Marvel having fighting game devs around that are knowledgeable enough to step in and stop whatever horrid design decision Capcom makes tbh. Like, Marvel will make sure it launches "feature complete", but I think Mike Z explains why I don't trust the game to be good.

oh my god, shut the fuck UP, mike z

we fucking get it, nobody plays skullgirls, big fucking deal. maybe people don't play it because they don't fucking like it

Anne

Regardless of what you think of Mike and Skullgirls, I do agree with that point. Capcom is putting SFV down this technical path that is extremely confusing and not encouraging, and people are just going along with it? It makes me extremely weary messing with the design of anything they have cooking up after this.

Dahbomb

I don't have faith in Marvel having fighting game devs around that are knowledgeable enough to step in and stop whatever horrid design decision Capcom makes tbh. Like, Marvel will make sure it launches "feature complete", but I think Mike Z explains why I don't trust the game to be good.
6.5 lag is bad but I don't think no invincible meterless uppercut is that bad. I am curious to give that kind of SF a try first before writing it off.

It's not like Capcom hasn't made badly designed fighters in the past and it's not like the FGC hasn't tolerated it before. People played Marvel 2 for years and not even Mike Z is going to defend that.

Anne

imo MvC2 is actually a good fighting game despite its balance and bugs

Anyways, yeah the game can work with meterless reversals. I get how it works. The fact a Street Fighter game had the issue of invuln DPs being too good is really off putting though. The fact the response to that was to nerf meterless DPs to not have full invuln period? That is pretty baffling when there are a bunch of ways throughout the history of 25+ years of fighting games to make things work.

Idk, the more I hear about SFV S2 the less encouraged I am to even look at it. I'm sure it's better than S1, but the fact it's turning out like this and people are still hella skeptical is shit.

I'm really hoping that Capcom in S2 just patches the game in a reasonable time frame. I hope they talk way more openly with the community about the issues players are having. I don't expect that to happen though, and I do expect them to keep moving things in whatever this direction is which is really unclear.

4 characters had meterless DP's. Those 4 characters were arguably also apart of the top 5 characters in the game. They were nerfed so now they have to block like everyone else.

B L O C K .

Dahbomb

Whether Marvel 2 ended up being a good fighting game at the end or not isn't the point, the game was poorly designed and hacked together with little effort or foresight by Capcom. It was an accident, a lightning in a bottle type situation. No fighting game company is ever going to use Marvel 2 as its blueprint design document because that would not fly in today's age. If your game has to be made playable by a bunch of bugs/unintended features (as stated by Mike Z himself) then it's not a well designed game at all. And I love Marvel 2 but I don't for a second forget to see it as what it really is.

People berated on Marvel 2 for having bad design issues back in the day. People hated the 4 buttons, the bugs, the mechanics. Compared to that SFV season 2 hasn't even been out for a month or even played at big stakes tournaments.

As far as Marvel Infinite goes, I don't have much hope or hype for that game because it feels like the priority is going after the casuals. That's not a bad thing by itself but when it comes to game design, it means hacking away features and "dumbing down" the game in ways that impact it negatively. That's my guess on it, I don't have any proof for it of course but I also think Marvel is going to be handled different than SFV. SFV is more about safe game play styles, Marvel is crazier than that and that usually reflects in the design/game play balances.

kirblar

oh my god, shut the fuck UP, mike z

we fucking get it, nobody plays skullgirls, big fucking deal. maybe people don't play it because they don't fucking like it
Yup. Skullgirls is an attempt at doing Marvel 3, but taking out all the casual/easy to play/mass audience elements and instead replacing them with highly technical gameplay with character designs that you'd be uncomfortable showing around kids. Me and my sister spent hours and hours playing the game on Dreamcast. We were terrible, we did team supers all the time with the buttons - and it was super fun!

The reason I'm worried about MvCI is that it looks like MSH2 more than an MvC game, and 2v2 can be kinda dry gameplay wise.

4 characters had meterless DP's. Those 4 characters were arguably also apart of the top 5 characters in the game. They were nerfed so now they have to block like everyone else.

B L O C K .
Yah that's why I don't get how this "CHANGES EVERYTHING OMG." I understand reducing the input lag though.

Kumubou

Yah that's why I don't get how this "CHANGES EVERYTHING OMG." I understand reducing the input lag though.
It's not just the lack of meterless reversals -- there are other games that do that just fine (Koihime Enbu does it without any issues, and that is a game where the fatal/crush counters are far more dangerous). It's a confluence of issues, mainly that those characters and this game:

• Is a game where safe jumps may as well not exist outside of a couple of one-off situations, which was the typical answer to DP-happy players.
  • Generally has stubby ass normals, so there are no attacks that are "safe" against reversals due to their hitboxes.
  • Generally has moves with very few active frames, which means that people can't really get stable oki options, which then leads to:
  • The characters in question also have 3 frame jabs (which meant that most meaty setups lost to either tech+mash jab or back tech+mash jab).
This leads to a game where against these characters, getting what feels like good offense going can be very difficult since characters with both meterless reversals and 3f jabs are encouraged to mash on something. I get that they wanted to move away from the hard-ass setplay that was a lot of situations in SF4, but I wonder if they went too far back the other way in regards of that to the point where getting a good hit/combo in does not lead to much of any advantage in initiative.

I think what Mike Z's other point is that Capcom is showing zero interest in addressing quality of life issues in SF5. What have they fixed over the last year -- matchmaking not being completely fucked and Directinput being added to the PC version? Wow, such support. This comes across as a company that is looking to do the absolute minimum to extract what they can from the fanbase that remains. Maybe they put all of their resources into MvCI. Maybe there's no one there with the technical knowledge to get things working right in UE4. Maybe they reassigned nearly everyone to more failed mobile projects. Who knows -- all I know is that the way they're treating the game is not a good look for the community at large.

The 6-7 frames of input lag is a joke that deserves to be clowned on until the end of time, though.

SFV is a very low budget game, though.

I legit do not understand two things about SF5:

1. 6.5f of lag
2. Wakeup timings being what they are.

Ardenyal

B L O C K .

The problem I have with the change is that it makes jumping in even more favourable as it was before. The DPs trade too often and blocking leads to grey life loss which is now something you are unlikely to get back.

The DPs should have air attack invincibility.

im sure tekken 7 will have all the features ya'll want, like player two rematch, good netcode, 30+ characters out the box, a legit story mode and arcade mode for casuals, UI that dont look like they made it five minutes beforehand, hundreds of non-DLC unlockables and 8 player tournament/spectator mode

mbpm1

im sure tekken 7 will have all the features ya'll want, like player two rematch, good netcode, 30+ characters out the box, a legit story mode and arcade mode for casuals, UI that dont look like they made it five minutes beforehand, hundreds of non-DLC unlockables and 8 player tournament/spectator mode

the TLD of Namco

Beckx

but does it have ryu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom