• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Happy New Year, Fighting Games. Please let other games NOT named SFV get the FG of the year award. I'm looking at you, KOF XIV and Xrd Revelator!

Tekken 7 and 2017 Tekken Tour is going to be bigger than before. It's going to be so exciting.

notworksafe

hey notworksafe, is there a way to set up CPS2 games on a kraylix (that's already set up with LCD TV/PS360+)? i would assume no but figured if anyone knows you would.
Yep, just need a Supergun of some sort. For example: https://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300

Doesn't have to be that exact one but you'll need something to translate the JAMMA signal to RGB/RCA/HDMI. There are converters you can get to make PS3/360 sticks work on the NeoGeo controller ports a lot of Superguns use as well: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/undamned-usb-decoder/1551-undamned-db15-usb-decoder.html

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Happy New Years, FGC-GAF! Thank god it's 2017, because 2016 was horri-

C0_BfeDXAAA_Fz6.jpg
eh I guess it wasn't all bad

Anne

I'm fairly sure Justin is being brought into a larger brand. There's no way he isn't.

PR Rog is on some other shit so I have no clue.

Momochi/Choco are doing their own thing, I'm willing to bet they stay independent like the other top JP players for a bit until things happen.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You guys are assuming they dropped Justin and Momochi when it's more likely they are leaving of their own accord like PR_Rog did.

Dahbomb

What's bigger than EG in the real of E sports?

Maybe Marvel is sponsoring fighting game players mow lol!

Biggest twist would be Justin going back to EMP...

Anne

What's bigger than EG in the real of E sports?

Maybe Marvel is sponsoring fighting game players mow lol!

Biggest twist would be Justin going back to EMP...

C9, TSM, CLG are the ones that stick out to me. None of them are into fighting games, but the first two are into Smash. Justin would be a good launching point to get into that sort of thing.

Liquid is also competitive around there too, and they already have Nuckledu and Hungrybox.

Edit: These are just the primarily NA orgs. There are other large EU orgs that could be grabbing NA people too.

MrDaravon

I don't think this was the reason (or at least sole reason), but EG has been flying Justin to every goddamn tournament every weekend and he still keeps getting bopped 0-2 at Capcom Cup. He's obviously a great player but he hasn't had any sort of really high top level consistency in Street Fighter, at least not with all of the international competition which is hot and heavy at US tournaments now. He's a good face for EG, he gets their name out there and with a new Marvel game on the way I don't think they would have dropped him but I imagine costs had to be some sort of factor. Will be interesting to see where he goes, even if he did actually get dropped I'm sure he could get with someone else fairly easily although maybe not with the same terms/flexibility? Interesting times!

I barely even remember Rog competing much last year so no surprise there, and Momochi + Choco are doing their own thing (and good on them). Chris G wouldn't be a shocker for EG, he's a good name pickup and probably got picked up at much less than what they were paying Jwong if I had to guess. I'm curious who else they're picking up though if the rumors are true.

Edit: So they're also dropping their SC2 team (no surprise) but are ramping up their CoD team? Is competitive CoD actually growing at all? CoD seems to be cooling off in general sales-wise if nothing else, although I guess SFV makes the case for a game not doing super well in sales having a worthwhile competitive scene.

Shouta

Weird way to start off the year. Justin is such a staple for EG but I guess it isn't surprising considering Rog left a few months ago.

Don't try to make sense of the Justin for Chris G swap unless Justin left. Even if you think Justin isn't trying, he's still much better than Chris G at SFV. You can't point to Marvel either as Justin is Justin. Unlike in SF, where people often want him to lose, people actually want him to win in Marvel. He's also more famous.

Momochi and Choco parting is strange unless they left as well. They do a good job of promoting the brand in Japan. They're able to get on Japanese television because they have the "gamer couple" image going for them. Both of them get a lot of promotion work in general. That's one thing you can say about the Japanese pro players. They do a lot of work that you don't see American players doing as they're mostly expect to just compete and stream on twitch. Momochi and Choco are pretty close with Monster in Japan. Monster are often present in the Momochoco community events that they run themselves.

So with that in mind I can see Momochi and Choco doing their own thing.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Momochi is becoming a ninja for the Japanese government. That training was not for nothing. Choco's career is over, a stay at home mom is a stay at home mom for life in Japan. Justin showed that AMD logo on his stream and Nvidia boss got a hold of it. Your job or your EG where you have to wear a goofy shirt at all times at tournaments.

Kalamari

Man, Jwong and Momochi's dropped. To be honest, I can see any eSports team really generating any profit unless they have very lucrative product sponsorships. Under the previous ownership, EG was probably operating at a loss and Amazon/Twitch just sucked it up because they thought eSports was gonna explode and eventually become profitable. The new owners probably bought it for pennies and have finally realized the reality that there's not as much money in eSports as they had previously thought.

This could be the beginning of the eSports bubble finally bursting.

EG got done blowed up. I'm guessing the new EG owners offered the players re-ups that were significantly less lucrative than before, and Justin, Rog, Momochi thought they could do better elsewhere. It's an upgrade for ChrisG though so, at least there's some good news coming out of it.

For how long Justin was at EG, and his stature in the FGC, that sure seemed like an apathetic way to announce his departure.

Does anyone know why Mike left twitch? Seemed like a gig fit perfect for him, and what he had been searching for to break out from the cross counter hold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom