• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

GG and KI I am iffy on. Like people are saying if there's a Japan EVO then GG will probably get moved to there. And honestly it's high time KI gets booted out but it might somehow find its way in because of M$ money hats. KI and Smash games would be the only odd games out... every other game is playable on PS4.

Why do people always assume that KI only gets in because of money? It's really frustrating to hear people say that shit.

The KI community is fantastic, still going strong, and the game itself still getting support/new content/new character releases.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's Jackie Chan's time to shine

XkBPnAn.jpg
ok drop DOA from my list and do this instead

Dahbomb

Why do people always assume that KI only gets in because of money? It's really frustrating to hear people say that shit.

The KI community is fantastic, still going strong, and the game itself still getting support/new content/new character releases.
Because it's consistently among the lowest entrant game at EVO since its release yet always escape the boot over other games. If we were to chart out all the games from last year based on number of entrants and booted based on number of entrants then KI would be high on that list.

I have nothing against KI but the money hats are too obvious.

Skab

Because it's consistently among the lowest entrant game at EVO since its release yet always escape the boot over other games. If we were to chart out all the games from last year based on number of entrants and booted based on number of entrants then KI would be high on that list.

I have nothing against KI but the money hats are too obvious.

Only obvious if you're jaded and cynical.

The game has grown every year after its first year there, is fun to watch, has been continuously supported, and has an outspoken fanbase. To act like the only reason it comes back is because Microsoft is paying Wizard to have it there is pretty silly.

If registration numbers were the only thing that determined if a game came back the next year then I might believe it, but that clearly isnt the case when you have games like TTT2 coming back several years in a row despite having the fewest registrants each year, and very low numbers.

when you have games like TTT2 coming back several years in a row despite having the fewest registrants each year, and very low numbers.

What are you talking about, TTT2 was only there two years: 2013 and 2014. And it didn't get the least entrants the first year of those, that honor goes to MK9. After it got fewest once it was axed.

I agree it's not just entry numbers and probably shouldn't be, but TTT2 is surely a poor example of that.

Tripon

The money hats conspiracy with killer instinct at Evo isn't that it was there for the last three years despite low attendance, it's that it also got a Sunday game status its first year and last finals on Saturday the last two years.

There's no reason why you can't run Killer Instinct all day Friday.

Tekken 7, which actually gets public money hats for Evo can't even get treated like Killer Instinct does.

crash-14

Only obvious if you're jaded and cynical.

The game has grown every year after its first year there, is fun to watch, has been continuously supported, and has an outspoken fanbase. To act like the only reason it comes back is because Microsoft is paying Wizard to have it there is pretty silly.

But it is. KI has never been even an average game in terms of registration numbers or viewership. And you can't say it's in a SF,MK,Tekken,Marvel level in popularity terms. Maybe if MS didn't fucked up the Xbox launch it could be on the way to reach it in the next entries, but I doubt this can happen now.

If registration numbers were the only thing that determined if a game came back the next year then I might believe it, but that clearly isnt the case when you have games like TTT2 coming back several years in a row despite having the fewest registrants each year, and very low numbers.

TTT2 was only 2 years at EVO. The first after homeconsole release and the 2nd one just cuz almost every year has had a 3D game in the oficial line up.
Tekken 7 being at EVO it's just a matter of promotion and reputation. Just to say "Hey T7 might not be out for consoles, but we hold high level competition with the arcade version.

It's not the same case. And as I said before, despite how it sells, Tekken has a mainstream appeal that KI doesn't.

notworksafe

Yeah, wizard says 7 games you want to see because he wants communities to argue who should be there.

It'll be 9 games again with the Smash scenes even more segregated from the event in order to try to maintain some sort of organization.

and to save everyone's noses

also I'll say SFV, Marvel, Tekken, some anime crap, KOF14 or Injustice, and two Smash games.

If they add two more it'll be a second anime thing and whichever of KOF14 or Injustice wasn't picked

.la1n

Have the EVO main games ever been based on entrants alone? I thought there were usually other factors like community support, history of good top 8 matches, etc.

Having said that, won't hurt my feeling if they boot KI. I could be completely wrong but I don't think they can expect the growth in entrance like there were for Season 1 to Season 2. There was a ton of excitement for the game around that time, Season 3's response has been tepid at best.

I pray to every deity known to the human world that we don't get two Smash games.

shaowebb

Just found out for the Tatsunoko 55th anniversary they're doing a new 3dcg anime thing called Infini T Force that stars Casshan, Gatchama, Tekkaman, and Hurricane Fucking Polymar all on one team.

My day is made. Now all I need is for Tatsunoko to pony up for a rerelease or sequel to TVC in honor of this anniversary buildup.

Beckx

Just found out for the Tatsunoko 55th anniversary they're doing a new 3dcg anime thing called Infini T Force that stars Casshan, Gatchama, Tekkaman, and Hurricane Fucking Polymar all on one team.

My day is made. Now all I need is for Tatsunoko to pony up for a rerelease or sequel to TVC in honor of this anniversary buildup.

Ken looks great in the teaser but tbh i've kind of said my goodbyes to classic Gatchaman & really love the new one. still, hopefully it's fun. whenever it finally comes out.

Unlike the people in here.. I would smack the fuck out of you and do in front of thousands of people and give 0 fucks.

That's who... so listen you want to troll you want to be funny do it with other members in the FGC weekly, but if you step to me I swear to fucking god I beat the shit out of your entire family tree.

And no I'm not joking or doing it for laughs like I do with Panda and Beef. So just leave my name out of your mouth and go on with your business.

I think about this post a lot.

If there's only one anime game, i'd like BBCF to replace XRD:R

Best case scenario : They boot KI (Who cares anyway) so we can get BBCF + XRD:R
Only 7 games makes things hard, since we had 9 last year.

If we had 9, I'd say cut Pokken for BBCF and Killer Instinct for KoFXIV. IJ2 for MKX if it comes out in time.

notworksafe

we had nine at the event last year but when wizard asked for suggestions he also only asked for seven. wouldn't be shocked if this ends up the same.

we had nine at the event last year but when wizard asked for suggestions he also only asked for seven. wouldn't be shocked if this ends up the same.

Ah, good. Your memory is better than mine, then.

My list would be:
Smash 4
Smash Melee
SFV
UMvC3
KoFXIV
GG Xrd-R
BBCF
Tekken 7
MKX or IJ2 if it's out in time.

It'd be nice to get Killer Instinct in there, too, but it's a tight schedule. Ideally, Evo doesn't drop a game that is still receiving active support from the development team. That technically also appeals to Pokken, but that game was something else last year...

Dahbomb

Pokken was Mr Wizard hedging a bet. If Pokken ended up being a phenomenon like a next Smash sort of thing in the competitive scene then he would've been a pioneer. As it stands Pokken isn't very big competitively so I guess it's probably going to see the boot.

Beats

Ah, good. Your memory is better than mine, then.

My list would be:
Smash 4
Smash Melee
SFV
UMvC3
KoFXIV
GG Xrd-R
BBCF
Tekken 7
MKX or IJ2 if it's out in time.

It'd be nice to get Killer Instinct in there, too, but it's a tight schedule. Ideally, Evo doesn't drop a game that is still receiving active support from the development team. That technically also appeals to Pokken, but that game was something else last year...

NRS games have all come out in April iirc so I'm guessing Injustice 2 will release around the same time and be the NRS game for EVO.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Swap GG with KoF14 and thats my guess. I doubt we get GG or BB this year, will probably put those on the Evo Japan line up.

I honestly wish they would drop at least one Smash. Melee just takes forever to get through, and any change to the format will cause huge backlash from the fan base.

I like Smash, but it kinda needs its own space.

If there are two smash games and no Guilty Gear I'll fucking riot.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The talent pool over there must be dried up if Capcom UK is keeping Logan on board at this point. He's said a lot of rancid stuff.

Thing is, he isn't employed by Capcom UK in any fashion, same with F-Word.

He's setting up his own weekly tournament this year anyway, so doubtful that they'll be as involved with Capcom anyway.

CurlyW

It'll likely be 9 games again

SFV, Inj 2, T7, Melee, Smash 4 definite
GGXrd, UMvC3 highly likely
BBCF, KoF14 probable
MKX, KI, Pokken unlikely
Everything else not happening

Pokken was Mr Wizard hedging a bet. If Pokken ended up being a phenomenon like a next Smash sort of thing in the competitive scene then he would've been a pioneer. As it stands Pokken isn't very big competitively so I guess it's probably going to see the boot.

TPC paid to get Pokken into EVO. Don't think the money hats are limited to US companies only.

SFV
Tekken 7
Smash Melee and Smash 4
Killer Instinct
GGXrd Revelator
KofXIV
Injustice 2
And UMvC3 to hype up MvC:I

If it could only be 7 I could see MvC3, Killer Instinct, or KOFXIV being dropped.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It'll likely be 9 games again

SFV, Inj 2, T7, Melee, Smash 4 definite
GGXrd, UMvC3 highly likely
BBCF, KoF14 probable
MKX, KI, Pokken unlikely
Everything else not happening

TPC paid to get Pokken into EVO. Don't think the money hats are limited to US companies only.

Wizard has basically said it's 7 on twitter.

Line_HTX

It'll be 7 this time, huh.

SFV
Tekken 7
Xrd Revelator
KOF XIV
UMvC3
KI or Injustice 2, one of those
Smash 4

Really, having one Smash in the main lineup can save a lot of time.

CurlyW

Wizard has basically said it's 7 on twitter.

Like others said, he always asks on twitter for 7 games because he likes to see the scenes bicker. He then puts 9 games in anyway. This has been the case for at least the last two years

EDIT: Only way it's actually 7 is if Mandalay Bay's convention area has significantly less space than LVCC.

Quebaz

7 games?

Time for the dream lineup:

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4
Super Dragon Ball Z
Hokuto no Ken
Persona 4 AU
Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul

AnimEVO for main event when?

Pompadour

Has the plans for CPT 2017 been officially unveiled? I expected UMvC3 to be an official game to build hype for MvCI which would surely replace it in 2018.

Has the plans for CPT 2017 been officially unveiled? I expected UMvC3 to be an official game to build hype for MvCI which would surely replace it in 2018.

Edit : Oh yeah i misread my bad. Good question for UMVC3, would be cool.

I expect MvC:I to be part of the official CPT tho'.

100% sure that UMVC3 will be at EVO, one last year before MvCI.

Dahbomb

Rumors were saying that Marvel might not be on CPT but on its own thing. Like it could have an exhibition type thing instead.

Perro

People still playing marvel? After Chris G got his Evo win I thought everyone moved onto other games.
There hasn't been reveals for Inj2 in months I don't think we are getting the game before Evo.

FACE

Banned
7 games?

King of Fighters XI
Hokuto no Ken
Vampire Savior
Capcom vs Snk 2
Guilty Gear XX AC+R
Marvel vs Capcom 2
VF4: Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.