• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

15538380_306485479748223_100118831585820672_n.jpg

Join me. Together we will rule the galaxy.

I wouldn't put it beyond you to start a new tournament that rivals CEO.

I loved this move when I first saw it. They should make it part of her regular SF moveset.

notworksafe

Excellent - thanks for the info and links.

Heads up Beck, I checked with Chris who makes the Windy supergun and he did let me know that the USB decoders I linked you don't yet function in his supergun but he's currently working on a solution to fix that so don't go buying one yet.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yep. I'm 99% sure Melee is returning. It brings in the participants, star players on legit esport teams, and the spectators. And many of the community leaders work for Twitch, which is closely aligned and or partnered with Evo.

I know some of you are hoping your fanfic comes true and one or both Smash games get kicked out, but it's probably not happening. If I've learned anything from SFV, it's best to lower your expectations. I don't actually mind 2 smash games if the logistics make sense.

Just put them both on Saturday finals, so Smash fans don't litter up the place on sunday then immediately bail after their platform gaming is done.

Beckx

Heads up Beck, I checked with Chris who makes the Windy supergun and he did let me know that the USB decoders I linked you don't yet function in his supergun but he's currently working on a solution to fix that so don't go buying one yet.

thanks. probably looking at trying to get this set up in the early spring so maybe it will be worked out by then. gotta figure out what game i want to set up and how to find a copy (really kinda leaning to the revision of VSav that has Donovan playable).

notworksafe

thanks. probably looking at trying to get this set up in the early spring so maybe it will be worked out by then. gotta figure out what game i want to set up and how to find a copy (really kinda leaning to the revision of VSav that has Donovan playable).

Yahoo Auctions is the way to go for a lot of CPS2 stuff. I just picked up Vsav for ~$85 with all the inserts/artwork. There's a few up for that price too. It's pretty common on there: http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/c579194682

It's a funny coincidence you bring all this up just as I'm starting setup on my own Supergun for CPS2 purposes so you caught me at the perfect time as I'm mid-research for myself as well.

Beckx

holy shit. had no idea there were boards up on auction like that. Progear, Shadows over Mystara, everything, my god.

notworksafe

neo-geo.com forums are another good spot but getting a membership there is a hassle and the crowd there is a bit...abrasive. but the deals are good so it's worth it. there's some pheonixed cps2 carts up there now too, mvc1 and xvsf

there's a super turbo board on yahoo for ~$214 with a motherboard and i'm starting to sweat just thinking about it lol

NEO0MJ

holy shit. had no idea there were boards up on auction like that. Progear, Shadows over Mystara, everything, my god.

I'm kinda surprised it's still possible to find this stuff considering the hoarding nature of gamers and how limited arcade boards are. I guess being arcade is what saved them as they get less attention than console games.

notworksafe

also for a lot of these games they were produced in massive numbers. just last night i saw like 100+ KOF2000 full kits on there and about the same number of Naomi motherboards as well. All for like $20 or under each. There's more of some of this stuff out there than people think.

stn

So, I caved and bought USF4 for PS4. There are so many things I hate about the game and yet I've played it 120+ hours AND bought it on 360, PS3, and now PS4. Sheer madness.

Add me if you want to play USF4, SFV, or KOF14. PSN is stnhdr, CFN is also stnhdr.

Please add, I need friends! I hate having to always look for random people.

Line_HTX

First time in a very long time Ultrachen episode was so very good. Mad props for acknowledging that more people need to play other fighters not named SFV. Even David said that it's a bad look on the scene that SFV has this momentum of people playing it and not playing other better fighters currently available.

Really stupid that SFV won that Fighter of the Year award despite its many major problems and no other games like Revelator or KOF get mentioned.

Anne

Rick Fox tossing out dem dollar (yen) bills.

I was expecting top team cash to be thrown around for just a couple of these guys. Echo Fox just dropped an utterly obscene amount of money. Might rustle the jimmies of some older orgs.

peter0611

First time in a very long time Ultrachen episode was so very good. Mad props for acknowledging that more people need to play other fighters not named SFV. Even David said that it's a bad look on the scene that SFV has this momentum of people playing it and not playing other better fighters currently available.

Really stupid that SFV won that Fighter of the Year award despite its many major problems and no other games like Revelator or KOF get mentioned.

I agree with most of your post except this. Why hasn't UC been good in a long time for you? Too much focus on SFV? Lack of Tasty Steve?

Which reminds me, he made a point about the whole community working to improve their public image because most outsiders lump Smash and FGC together using the same lazy stereotypes. Wonder how true that is.

chriskun

Im gonna sound like a big jerk but does momochi demand that choco is a part of the package when he gets sponsored, really don't think she deserves to be there. I never even see her play anymore.

Anne

Which reminds me, he made a point about the whole community working to improve their public image because most outsiders lump Smash and FGC together using the same lazy stereotypes. Wonder how true that is.

Don't even get me started on what it's like trying to talk to esports heads about smaller fighting game scenes. They legit don't get they exist in entirely different realms sometimes. The ones that do have usually expressed, er, negative perceptions of smaller games for a number of reasons.

Im gonna sound like a big jerk but does momochi demand that choco is a part of the package when he gets sponsored, really don't think she deserves to be there. I never even see her play anymore.

She's actually Momochi's manager, and she is valuable for her ability to make him function as well as take care of so many events and marketing deals.

Shouta

I was expecting top team cash to be thrown around for just a couple of these guys. Echo Fox just dropped an utterly obscene amount of money. Might rustle the jimmies of some older orgs.

Even at a conservative amount for a year's contract, it's big money. Pretty nuts honestly, lol

Choco plays though I don't think I've seen her play all that much in SFV yet. She's more of the talker of the pair though and does a lot of communication and PR for them. She's his manager basically.

peter0611

Sponsorships are more than just being a super good competitor, especially now a days. I see her as playing more of a community support role. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if a public figure like Mike got sponsored. Same basic idea.

mbpm1

This has always been the deal.

And she doesn't play bc she handles pretty much every other side of being a pretty substantial public face of the FGC in Japan. Markets, puts together meetups, interviews on tv, manages stuff, streams, edits/puts out media, etc.

Anne

Forreal though I don't see all of this team panning out money wise in the end, but I respect them going for it. It's a huge upfront investment when certain things are still uncertain.

CurlyW

It's also owned by Rick Fox.

Rick Fox's Echo Fox | SonicFox?

...Fox^3?

Tyler Perry's I Can Do Fox All By Myself

Pretty much how I feel about "teams" in fighting games. I am just confused how it can be lucrative for the owner or players. Do they take a cut of Sonic's winnings at a NRS tourney?

They don't take a cut of winnings. They're supposed to make money from sponsorship deals.

Most esports teams are actually relatively frugal. Echo Fox on the other hand cannot burn their money fast enough.

They wear some sponsors on their clothes I guess

The bigger moneymaker is sponsor logos appearing on the players personal streams. Some esports teams require players to stream X number of hours each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom