• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Out of curiosity, would you guys be hyped if there was a yearly tournament held just for Capcom VS games?

MVC1
MVC2
UMVC3
MVC:I
CVS2
SVC
TVC
SFxTekken
XvsSF
MSH vs SF

Possibly Capcom Fighting Evolution since its a crossover as well I guess.
Would you want to attend, compete or stream?
That would be dope.

notworksafe

remove the chaff from that list and it'd be a good event. putting in svc and msh but not cvs1 is an interesting choice.

would enter cvs2 and xvs

shaowebb

Its just something I've been thinking of for a long while. There's enough games in the list now to do a mainstage and side stage tournies and it'd likely be a great atmosphere all weekend for folks to enjoy casuals and nostalgia at a ton of stuff. I like the idea of retro events on the yearly in general, but this one could actually theme well to try and draw a few old school loyalist crowds together who would likely play well together and have a lot to share.

I have no idea how to event organize sadly. It'd be something special to be a part of.

notworksafe

we run an event here with a "new school vs old school" theme that is fun but stressful to run. hardest part about running old games is getting full setups. CRT/System/Game/Controls is a pain to wrangle locally for each game, especially if multiple setups are required which is mandatory for some games *cough*cvs2*cough*

helps that we have arcade setups for some things but that's not exactly portable and excludes those who prefer controllers. new gen remaster/releases are the best we can do sometimes. ps3 versions of sf3/ttt/marvel2/etc are a godsend.

shaowebb

we run an event here with a "new school vs old school" theme that is fun but stressful to run. hardest part about running old games is getting full setups. CRT/System/Game/Controls is a pain to wrangle locally for each game, especially if multiple setups are required which is mandatory for some games *cough*cvs2*cough*

helps that we have arcade setups for some things but that's not exactly portable and excludes those who prefer controllers. new gen remaster/releases are the best we can do sometimes. ps3 versions of sf3/ttt/marvel2/etc are a godsend.

Remaster/Releases is the only way I'd ever consider it. Likely PS3 downloads of CVS stuff, and just suffer through on dreamcast, PS2 and CRT acquisitions. It'd be a bitch because old hardware seems like its just a bomb waiting to go off in a tourney scene. It really has me wishing that Capcom would do a vs series compilation physical release instead of digital soon. We saw the digital appear then disappear with MSH and MVC2. We really need a vs series disc release to ever hope for this sorta tourney. At least then you could finally play them on good sticks.

BTW did the Marvel games come back up on the PSN and Xbox stores after MVCI happened? I never got the Marvel Origins game.

notworksafe

i wish. been waiting for marvel origins collection to pop back up but it hasn't yet. at this point it seems unlikely to show up. my guess is the new deal struck with marvel is for new consoles/pc only.

cvs2 is a tricky one too. ps3 version is easy to acquire but has just enough input lag to be obnoxious so you're stuck with ps2/dc which has subpar control methods for the most part and most people attending an event won't have sticks for those anyway. xvsf goes in that box as well. the best console version was for the saturn which is a real wtf for running it now. it's not been released on anything modern so then it's basically another "arcade only" game like ST/CVS. except there are 3 arcade versions of the game so you need to make sure you're running the correct version on each setup. this assumes you don't want to use emulators of course, which comes with it's own issues.

ud-cps2 fixes a lot of these issues from the jump but good luck getting one of those.

shaowebb

i wish. been waiting for marvel origins collection to pop back up but it hasn't yet. at this point it seems unlikely to show up. my guess is the new deal struck with marvel is for new consoles/pc only.

cvs2 is a tricky one too. ps3 version is easy to acquire but has just enough input lag to be obnoxious so you're stuck with ps2/dc which has subpar control methods for the most part and most people attending an event won't have sticks for those anyway. xvsf goes in that box as well. the best console version was for the saturn which is a real wtf for running it now. it's not been released on anything modern so then it's basically another "arcade only" game like ST/CVS. except there are 3 arcade versions of the game so you need to make sure you're running the correct version on each setup. this assumes you don't want to use emulators of course, which comes with it's own issues.

ud-cps2 fixes a lot of these issues from the jump but good luck getting one of those.
Yeah, its a clusterfuck. I wish this sorta event was plausible. Its a great theme and the turnout would likely be a good one each year and a nice thing to look forward to as an event. Its just the hardware...
So many good things that could really get proper events that could grow now due to the internet marketing and streams can't happen simply because the hardware they released for was sub par.

We need compilation discs released at some point. Theres no way around it...otherwise you just can't run tournaments for some stuff. When TVC seems easy to run a tourney for something is wrong given the juggle of adapters and stick modding required for a good tourney. Just too much to deal with.

Beckx

In NA and Brazil for now I think, getting it a day early is nice.

Aside from the (beefy) graphical upgrade it also has new colors for characters, titles, icons, fixes etc.

i'm excited, i picked it up in the last sale and haven't dived too deep into it yet.

notworksafe

Yeah, its a clusterfuck. I wish this sorta event was plausible. Its a great theme and the turnout would likely be a good one each year and a nice thing to look forward to as an event. Its just the hardware...
So many good things that could really get proper events that could grow now due to the internet marketing and streams can't happen simply because the hardware they released for was sub par.

We need compilation discs released at some point. Theres no way around it...otherwise you just can't run tournaments for some stuff. When TVC seems easy to run a tourney for something is wrong given the juggle of adapters and stick modding required for a good tourney. Just too much to deal with.

The best kinda place to run this event would be Japan because of how common arcade stuff is there. Of course that's also the place least likely to get a decent showing compared to a US based tourney :(

notworksafe

C11xKhfWEAQU9ZP.jpg

hmm

Tripon

Yo Beef, sorry I forgot about the avatar bet thing for a while. Moving wrecked my life for a while there.
Dont forgot ours.

1 year from release date that Street Fighter does not release a free to play version in any major region for 1 month avatar bet.

C11xKhfWEAQU9ZP.jpg

Switch getting a fightstick.. wonder what FGs will show up on the platform.

Pokken is a given and I believe Namco Bandai and Arcsys both confirmed support for the system...

El Sabroso

C11xKhfWEAQU9ZP.jpg

Pokken is a given and I believe Namco Bandai and Arcsys both confirmed support for the system...

pokken is never meant to be in fightstick, not calling it out, but means more like a t7 port than anything, unless mahvel is in

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
C11xKhfWEAQU9ZP.jpg

Really strange. Can't think of a single fighting game that's likely to come to Switch, or one big enough that would warrant it's own fight stick accessory.

My guess is Tekken 7 if anything. It's been in the oven so long they may as well have a Vita port ready as well.

EDIT: Maybe MvC:I if the fidelity of the game doesn't improve.

Really strange. Can't think of a single fighting game that's likely to come to Switch, or one big enough that would warrant it's own fight stick accessory.

My guess is Tekken 7 if anything. It's been in the oven so long they may as well have a Vita port ready as well.

EDIT: Maybe MvC:I if the fidelity of the game doesn't improve.

Arc might do Guilty Gear ports, considering it's a UE3 game and they still support PS3, Switch should be no problem. Wii got hella GG ports back in the day as well so the precedence is there.

Maaaybe KOF14?

Tekken 7 is probably a lock like you said.

Tripon

If Nintendo has a decent virtual console like the Wii did, there was a bunch of MVS games that would benefit from an arcade stick.

Even putting aside Fighters, there's tons of shumps that can be played.

Sayad

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Arc might do Guilty Gear ports, considering it's a UE3 game and they still support PS3, Switch should be no problem. Wii got hella GG ports back in the day as well so the precedence is there.

Maaaybe KOF14?

Tekken 7 is probably a lock like you said.
I think ports are definitely possible, I just wonder if they're worth it for those smaller companies. Tough to say because we don't know much about the platform, but I'm resting on my cynicism here. I guess I'm expecting a Wii U esque situation where Nintendo kind of petitions major publishers to get ports of their bigger titles out on Wii U, and they comply because they need to test the market anyways and can take the hit if it underperforms and decide to limit support of the platform.

If Nintendo has a decent virtual console like the Wii did, there was a bunch of MVS games that would benefit from an arcade stick.

Even putting aside Fighters, there's tons of shumps that can be played.
Yeah, but you never see sticks announced for compatible older or smaller digital games. It's already a niche product, you need to release alongside a big AA/AAA title to get traction and carry sales I presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom