• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayad

B A I K E N B O I S
nLUhcMc.png

Oh my god, there's actually an expansion to GG: Revelator. I guess I'm now glad that I didn't buy Revelator, but I honestly didn't expect an "EXTEND" style expansion for the new GG games. I don't know why I didn't expect this...perhaps I should have.

Yay to Baiken returning but...I think I'm starting to get tired of these endless expansions to ASW fighters, and I never thought I would. At this point, I'm waiting for Central Fiction EXTEND before I decide to buy/play CF.

Oh my god, there's actually an expansion to GG: Revelator. I guess I'm now glad that I didn't buy Revelator, but I honestly didn't expect an "EXTEND" style expansion for the new GG games. I don't know why I didn't expect this...perhaps I should have.

Yay to Baiken returning but...I think I'm starting to get tired of these endless expansions to ASW fighters, and I never thought I would. At this point, I'm waiting for Central Fiction EXTEND before I decide to buy/play CF.

That's your mistake, then. Your hobby is getting continual support and you treat it like a downside. I'll take continual updates over sparse or nonexistent ones.

That's your mistake, then. Your hobby is getting continual support and you treat it like a downside. I'll take continual updates over sparse or nonexistent ones.

Well, it's not like I'd rather have the alternative of no support. In this particular case, I figured the next GG game would have been the actual third installment to the "Xrd" series, but we're getting an expansion to Revelator, and I really didn't expect that. It's both a pleasant surprise and a slight disappointment.

It's a pleasant surprise in that I hadn't yet bought Revelator, and now I can get "Rev2" with new content+the DLC from vanilla Revelator. It's a disappointment in that this now sets the precedent that the third game in the Xrd series may also get an expansion, and maybe I'd rather just wait for the expansion instead of getting the vanilla version on launch. We didn't get a "Xrd Sign 2", it went straight to "Xrd Revelator", and we got new mechanics on top of new characters.

I remember being annoyed when Ultimate Marvel 3 was announced less than a year after vanilla Marvel 3 had been out on consoles, but I still got it and loved it. I'll do the same with GG Rev2, but whenever "Xrd 3" comes out, I might just wait for what seems like an inevitable expansion.

Lemstar

waiting to buy a fighting game because of a potential possible revision down the line is weird

is it just a perceived value thing

Pompadour

waiting to buy a fighting game because of a potential possible revision down the line is weird

is it just a perceived value thing

Yeah, those people only have a passing interest in these games. However, I'm very happy that ASW is at least adopting SF4's business model so that my digital copy of Revelator doesn't lose all its value. Baby steps.

Yeah, those people only have a passing interest in these games. However, I'm very happy that ASW is at least adopting SF4's business model so that my digital copy of Revelator doesn't lose all its value. Baby steps.

Next step : Hokuto no Ken Online with GGPO, P4UA latest update on PS4/PC and ArcSys helping to bring the UNIEL update on PC.

Yeah, those people are all going to be saying the same thing again when the next version drops. They'll just keep making excuses and never play it. Not worth listening to.

Actually, I feel like fighting games are one of the genres where getting it day one is very worthwhile. if you get in early you can learn with everyone else and it's easier to play people of your own skill level. Very different experience from waiting until update no. 8.

---
Not sure whether i'm gonna get this Xrd update myself. Baiken is cool, but.. Didn't like Xrd, liked Xrd R a lot more but still not as much as i thought i would. And some folks in the community have been pretty hostile if you even dare to admit you like other games, Blazblue in particular. Not a fan of that kinda stuff.

On the other hand, forsaking the causal market so you can make more money off the playerbase guaranteed to buy the game isn't exactly healthy either...

Pompadour

On the other hand, forsaking the causal market so you can make more money off the playerbase guaranteed to buy the game isn't exactly healthy either...

I'm not sure how they're forsaking the casual market (and does GGXrd actually have a casual market?). I think the people who buy ASW fighting games know the score already and have resigned themselves to buying each new edition that invalidates the previous release. The digital upgrade to Rev seems like they're throwing us a bone.

Kumubou

Next step : Hokuto no Ken Online with GGPO, P4UA latest update on PS4/PC and ArcSys helping to bring the UNIEL update on PC.
So you want:

-An update to a game that requires a license that ArcSys lost nearly a decade ago.
-An Atlus game on PC.
-A home version of Japan's least popular fighting game, especially when said developer has the opportunity to work with name-brand waifus.

The odds of any one of those things happening are roughly -34543534543%. You're better off betting that Capcom can actually turn SF5 into a good game.

Why would they care about forsaking the casual market when they weren't buying the game to begin with? Sometimes you're just better off going down with the ship.

Slaythe

It's a DLC update if you have REV.

For the price of 2 dlc characters(included), you get new modes, new story, online revamped, rebalance to the roster......

It's not a typical Extend game where you had to buy a full game all over.

So enjoy not playing in the meanwhile I guess. :/

If you can't drop 15/20 bucks on a game you enjoy over a year after release, you might as well not play.

I'm actually grateful they decided to make this a patch and not just a full game. This is new ground for Arcsys. Hopefully the future is like this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's a DLC update if you have REV.

For the price of 2 dlc characters(included), you get new modes, new story, online revamped, rebalance to the roster......

It's not a typical Extend game where you had to buy a full game all over.

So enjoy not playing in the meanwhile I guess. :/

If you can't drop 15/20 bucks on a game you enjoy over a year after release, you might as well not play.

I'm actually grateful they decided to make this a patch and not just a full game. This is new ground for Arcsys. Hopefully the future is like this.

Yeah it's new ground, now they are charging for their big updates that used to be free :D

Maybe I'm not as hardcore as I used to be since the Rev2 announcement bothered me a tad.

Like, let's say I did already own Revelator, but I'm one of those guys who doesn't care about the story mode, and I just play Sol and Ky. Rev2 is apparently giving every character a new move in addition to balance changes, and I think in order to be able to play as those newly balanced characters, I'd need to pay for the Rev2 upgrade. Maybe I've been spoiled by SFV and KI, because they don't gate new seasonal system mechanics and seasonal balance changes behind $10-20 DLC.

I am a player, but I'm also a consumer. If I had just bought Revelator for the PC when it came out last month(at full price, mind you), I'd probably be more annoyed by the Rev 2 announcement. I will end up getting the retail version of Rev2, since that should hopefully come with all of vanilla Rev's DLC+all the new content, and I'm glad I have that option, but as a consumer, I think I have the right to be annoyed by Rev2's announcement.

MrDaravon

Random AF question - how viable is it to play on a 6-button d-pad (no analog stick) controller for GG and Tekken 7? Thinking about both (especially Tekken) but don't have a stick right now. Normally I'd guess 2D stuff would be fine for pad but I've heard specifically GG is rough on pad? And I don't usually dabble in 3D fighters much but I'm really interested in T7, but haven't played the games since the first 3 on PS1.

I'm sure people will say use what's comfortable for you (which is true), but 3D stuff on pad seems potentially dicey, and I've also heard specific complaints about GG on pad soooo. I don't think I could afford a $150-200 stick anytime soon but if a stick is a much better option for those I might look into one of those $50-70 beginner sticks which would also maybe be good to see if stick is for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom