• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomshine

Random AF question - how viable is it to play on a 6-button d-pad (no analog stick) controller for GG and Tekken 7? Thinking about both (especially Tekken) but don't have a stick right now. Normally I'd guess 2D stuff would be fine for pad but I've heard specifically GG is rough on pad? And I don't usually dabble in 3D fighters much but I'm really interested in T7, but haven't played the games since the first 3 on PS1.

I'm sure people will say use what's comfortable for you (which is true), but 3D stuff on pad seems potentially dicey, and I've also heard specific complaints about GG on pad soooo. I don't think I could afford a $150-200 stick anytime soon but if a stick is a much better option for those I might look into one of those $50-70 beginner sticks which would also maybe be good to see if stick is for me anyway.

Tekken is pretty pad friendly, a standard Playstation controller works fine since you only have 4 attack buttons. A good dpad is obviously important.

Anne

what does "online revamped" entail?

Netcode was specifically mentioned on the stream? I hope that's what we are looking at since I know they've at least been presented with newer solutions by now.

The whole Rev2 thing isn't perfect by any means, but it's basically saying it wants to do everything I would want if ASW is still insistent on iteration installments.

Netcode was specifically mentioned on the stream? I hope that's what we are looking at since I know they've at least been presented with newer solutions by now.

The whole Rev2 thing isn't perfect by any means, but it's basically saying it wants to do everything I would want if ASW is still insistent on iteration installments.

its got baiken so it's beyond perfect.

Slaythe

Yeah it's new ground, now they are charging for their big updates that used to be free :D

I don't quite remember any update that was free yet had as much content.

I can remember several that ended up full games though... but it could be because painful memories tend to remain more than others !

what does "online revamped" entail?

We don't know yet. Hopefully changed how ranked works ?
Team stuff back ? They were vague.
Maybe I'm not as hardcore as I used to be since the Rev2 announcement bothered me a tad.

Like, let's say I did already own Revelator, but I'm one of those guys who doesn't care about the story mode, and I just play Sol and Ky. Rev2 is apparently giving every character a new move in addition to balance changes, and I think in order to be able to play as those newly balanced characters, I'd need to pay for the Rev2 upgrade. Maybe I've been spoiled by SFV and KI, because they don't gate new seasonal system mechanics and seasonal balance changes behind $10-20 DLC.

I am a player, but I'm also a consumer. If I had just bought Revelator for the PC when it came out last month(at full price, mind you), I'd probably be more annoyed by the Rev 2 announcement. I will end up getting the retail version of Rev2, since that should hopefully come with all of vanilla Rev's DLC+all the new content, and I'm glad I have that option, but as a consumer, I think I have the right to be annoyed by Rev2's announcement.

Those are fair points.

But you also have to acknowledge the fact that a 10-20$ update is better than a 60$ game. GG had avoided the dreadful BB model, so it might be baby steps, but it's definitely going in the right direction.

If they see people are into it, they are more likely to go that route than if it tanks completely.

Also, personally, with good timing, Arcsys offered me all the dlc characters, that's something that has to be noted. They are usually pretty generous. They can't work for free either, the production values on this are huge. ( so the update price is probably what I would have spent )

Like sorry if you don't care about story/modes/new characters.

Though at least you do get the new moves etc.. that can still affect your characters. So it's not just useless fluff.

It's about supporting a niche game at this point. Wait until it's discounted I guess if it bothers you that much.

SFV's model is nightmarish IMO.

KI is really close to the gold standard yet a few things hold it back for me.

As for the PC version, you're right, I can't defend that... but it's PC, getting used to being treated like that now...

Doomshine

I was one of those people.

Secret tech: You could use controller D pad plus Arcade face buttons at same time.

PW4lexm.jpg

Those are fair points.

Despite my complaints, I will more than likely get Rev2 at full price. I won't lie, Baiken is a huge incentive for me to buy, since she and Potemkin were my mains back in the GGXX days. I was just using the "GG player who just plays Sol and Ky and that's all they do" as an example.

That said, my whole issue with it is that we now live in an era of fighting games where they're now starting to embrace the "season pass" model for additional content, and every year is a new "season" for the game. MKX gave us two(possibly three) seasons, KI gave us three seasons, and now SFV is in it's second season. The thing about the season passes is that the stuff you pay for is pretty much only characters, and maybe a costume or two. Balance patches aren't part of that DLC. KI Season 3 gave every already existing character new moves on top of new mechanics, and you didn't have to pay for those changes, you just got them.

Rev2 is making you pay for these balance changes if you want them, and that's where I'm bothered. If ASW had announced the proper third Xrd game, I wouldn't have been bothered at all. My initial reaction to seeing Rev2 was "Oh, it's like the BB Extend games", and even after seeing the upgrade model for vanilla Rev owners, I've still got that taste in my mouth.

Maybe it's hypocritical of me to complain like that when I admit that I will still be getting Rev2. Still, I think my frustration probably stems from me wanting ASW to adapt these models that most other fighting game makers are now adapting, and they may yet adapt them, but it seems like it won't be for a while yet.

shaowebb

This is happening this month. I wanna go compete with my Polimar/Blade team but the airfare is shit and I can't justify it. Great stuff at Frosty Faustings this year. How many here are attending?

vYw9vTx.jpg

Shackzam

This is happening this month. I wanna go compete with my Polimar/Blade team but the airfare is shit and I can't justify it. Great stuff at Frosty Faustings this year. How many here are attending?

I'll be there competing in sf5. I've been getting results in the Chicago area for it so I hope I can do some damage. I saw guys bring tatsunoko set ups at the last local at ignite getting ready lol.

shaowebb

Between NRS , Frosty and Iron Galaxy all being Chicago staples I have a lot of love for that city. WV and my neighboring city airports have shit airfares though. Cheapest I'd get there by myself before hotel, admission tourney and food are even added in would be just over $300. I'm estimating with the rest it'd be closer to $500-$600 easy and thats if I ditched the wife on a Chicago trip which isn't fair to her.

Its got a lot to view and only one title I'd be competing in and I can watch it from home. I just can't justify the cost right now unless I can score lower air fare. I aint driving that shit considering the amount of days I'd have to take off from the power plant to cover it with the added drive times.I really need to finish renovating this house to flip so I can begin figuring out just where I want to start scouting as potential new locations to move my career to. Only thing holding me here is the money...its just too fucking good. I really want to live in a city with a large nerd scene and some fucking culture though. I'm not dirtneck enough to enjoy WV.

Those of you who live in cities, with some fighting game scenes and game studios count yourselves lucky. I had to go into industrial work after my animation degree because its the only work readily available in my state lucrative enough to pay the student debt.

shaowebb

Get out and never fucking look back.

Drop by ATL and I'll humor you in TvC for old time's sake.

Yeah, I envy you. You were literally in my area before you left so you feel where I'm coming from. Gotta find a place to hire me in my field near a city someday. I got everyone in the world always trying to tell me I need to stay close to them but thats for their sake not mine. Their comfort zone of distance doesn't make me living in the middle of nowhere, bored, surrounded by folks who are constantly locker room posturing and praising fucking Trump , feel happy at all.

I just want out. Tired of pretending I care about this place or these people's backwoods sheltered ways.
I'd love to live in a city with a decent barcade.

Shackzam

Yeah, I envy you. You were literally in my area before you left so you feel where I'm coming from. Gotta find a place to hire me in my field near a city someday. I got everyone in the world always trying to tell me I need to stay close to them but thats for their sake not mine. Their comfort zone of distance doesn't make me living in the middle of nowhere, bored, surrounded by folks who are constantly locker room posturing and praising fucking Trump , feel happy at all.

I just want out. Tired of pretending I care about this place or these people's backwoods sheltered ways.
I'd love to live in a city with a decent barcade.

Come to chicago where everything is taxed and we gots a lot of murder. With some good food.

But it's a good community with tons of variety players and great people. I know of 3 barcades and 2 of them are decent. If you ever come over here I'd like to meet some people from gaf and introduce you to part of the community.

shaowebb

Thanks for all that guys. I honestly need a whole new career to escape everything because, lets face, industrial types are gonna be a rough crowd. Not much difference between them and high schoolers. There is the possibility of me teaching in some states in my fields. I got several degrees now. At least then I could hang on campus. I get the feeling I could roll back into R&D though if I push hard enough. Problem is I need to find the right city and position to aim at.
Time to start digging and find where to set my sights next. For now, its swing shift, mandatory overtime, and trying to find enough inspiration around bouts of anger/depression over hearing all the bigoted shit I hear on the daily to keep pushing out art frames for my own shit. I go for days just mentally dead to block that shit out. No wonder I like fighting games. Gives me something to hit.

Got any suggestions of cities with good amounts of culture, food and nerd stuff for me to focus my searches on?

If you like hipster shit, Austin has Kimchi Tacos and other asian fusion mumbo jumbo. And traffic, we got lots of traffic.

But really, Austin is a growing city and a lot of tech startups are sprouting all over the place. There are also companies like Rooster Teeth and Zenimax if you want to get a nerdy career or something.

Kumubou

Random AF question - how viable is it to play on a 6-button d-pad (no analog stick) controller for GG and Tekken 7? Thinking about both (especially Tekken) but don't have a stick right now. Normally I'd guess 2D stuff would be fine for pad but I've heard specifically GG is rough on pad? And I don't usually dabble in 3D fighters much but I'm really interested in T7, but haven't played the games since the first 3 on PS1.

I'm sure people will say use what's comfortable for you (which is true), but 3D stuff on pad seems potentially dicey, and I've also heard specific complaints about GG on pad soooo. I don't think I could afford a $150-200 stick anytime soon but if a stick is a much better option for those I might look into one of those $50-70 beginner sticks which would also maybe be good to see if stick is for me anyway.
They're both more than doable. You'll probably need to set up a couple of button bindings to play Xrd on pad properly but locally our best player plays on pad. As for Tekken, I think there are more competitive players in the US that play on pad than play on stick at this point! Tekken is absolutely pad-friendly.

Is it worth getting Revelator now or are they going to release a "complete edition" anytime soon?

I'm not really looking to get into it super competitively, just want to mess around with something that's different than SFV for a while and go through the tutorial I hear so much about. I actually have Sign so I could just play that for a bit to learn the game while I wait for Rev2 and a complete edition release to drop.

NEO0MJ

Who knows when and if a complete release will come. The previous GG game, XX, took 9 years to complete (though there was a 4 year gap between the final version and its predecessor) and Blazblue took eight years to complete and we still might get an EX version of that game.

notworksafe

means they are gone. :( jwong confirmed as much when he was playing it in nyc.

capcom putting out an sf2 sequel without super store or throw loops in 2017 that, again, is $40.
rfLbv.gif

notworksafe

i assume you mean usf2? nah, please no.

let's not take one of the most fun and beloved sf games and turn it into one of the most boring and reviled sf games

JeTmAn81

Congrats! What team did you play as and take on in Grand Finals?

Well, out of the entrants it was just me and one other guy that were serious Marvel heads. You could tell just watching. So it ended up being me and him in winner's and grand finals.

I mostly played Wesker/Dante/Strider but switched to Hulk/Sentinel/Haggar as a counter to the other guys Mag/Doom/Sentinel. That worked ok but he adjusted so I switched to Zero/Dante/Strider and was able to outzone him.

We met again in grand finals and played the same teams. He barely edged me and reset the bracket. I had switched out Zero for Wesker towards the end of that set. He then switched out Mag for Wolverine at some point as a counter against both Zero and Wesker. But I ended up taking the reset 3-0. Not sure why I did so much better in that last set.

We actually streamed it. I think WF starts around here:

Check out this video "Fight Night @ Black Wolf - SFV, UMVC3, GGXrdR tournament" http://www.twitch.tv/kristenwiig/v/114819473?sr=a&t=11804

CO_Andy

i assume you mean usf2? nah, please no.

let's not take one of the most fun and beloved sf games and turn it into one of the most boring and reviled sf games
woops. meant usf2. there is some good to take away from SFV, like i wouldn't mind Honda's hands being a command input

JeTmAn81

Those counter picks. Love it. You would have probably switched back to Hulk against his Wolverine if he won.

Possibly, his Wolverine was definitely rushdown happy enough to get bopped by Hulk. I could tell this guy was super aggressive by how quickly he made his character selections and othere choices. So options deployed against him like anti-air Gamma Charge with Hulk or snapback with Wesker at round start tended to be successful. Also, dude didn't block meaty incoming even once I think.

10, 15 years from now what doe you want or expect to see in a possible USF4 Final Challengers Edition?

I want them to kill the SF4 art style for good by putting in SF5 character models with their retro outfits, where possible lol.

Spuck-uk

Banned
10, 15 years from now what doe you want or expect to see in a possible USF4 Final Challengers Edition?

I want them to kill the SF4 art style for good by putting in SF5 character models with their retro outfits, where possible lol.

Pretty much just make it Omega mode but balanced. It takes some of the fun stuff from SFV (input buffer, faster recovery from throws, high damage) while keeping things SFV stupidly toned down like good fast normals and non-glacial walkspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom