• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been planning to mod my stick to move down an ambidextrous thumb button, but I've been lazy.

I really think this is the ideal layout for the sorts of fighters I like to play:

sdfsdfmrlys.png

One of the weird things about adjusting back to stick with SFV now that I have a PS4-compatible one is that I'm so used to activating v-trigger with my left hand.

Spuck-uk

Banned
edit: Don't actually give enough of a shit about bad opinions to make a thing of it.

Xrd changes mean Raven is kinda terrible now, and he wasn't high tier to start with :(

Really don't like that Baikens guard cancels are now counter moves instead, pretty lame.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MK layout just looks so damn unintuitive. Like it was built for alien hands. I didn't even understand it as a kid, like why are these buttons so far apart anyways? Why are they not optimized or at least similar to a comfortable position you'd keep your hand in while hovering over them?

AAK

Using an arcade stick in general will never be optimal. Using a lever/joystick as an input device has no competitive advantage over using buttons. If you want optimal, you would use a hitbox.

NRS would make a far better product if they went that route for the Injustice controller.

Pompadour

MK layout just looks so damn unintuitive. Like it was built for alien hands. I didn't even understand it as a kid, like why are these buttons so far apart anyways? Why are they not optimized or at least similar to a comfortable position you'd keep your hand in while hovering over them?

When I played MKX I couldn't understand what benefits an arcade stick would give the game, if any. There are no diagonal inputs and half the buttons are rarely used or are just used as a modifier. Makes more sense with a traditional controller.

shaowebb

Also...good netcode. :)
What are you afraid it'd be in Skullgirls art style or something? I love the rhythm in that game. Plus no unblockables or infinites. So far I'm not seeing a downside to Lab Zero handling fighting games for any franchise honestly.

Dahbomb

Also...good netcode. :)
What are you afraid it'd be in Skullgirls art style or something? I love the rhythm in that game. Plus no unblockables or infinites. So far I'm not seeing a downside to Lab Zero handling fighting games for any franchise honestly.
The original Skullgirls release had long ass combos and poor flow/mechanics to combos with worse balance than even Marvel games. The game was a mess back then and after years of constant patches it's finally in a good spot.

Most games getting that many patches end up being good too. I got nothing against Skullgirls or Mike Z, I like both of them a lot but there's a big difference between what Skullgirl is (and what it ended up being) versus the scope of a Marvel game.

Imagine Lab Zero releasing a Marvel Infinite game with a convoluted as hell combo system and invincible butt assists. They wouldn't hear the end of it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I mean the jist of it is that there just wasn't a single thing in the week or so that I played of Skullgirls that was as satisfying as simply pressing s.H with Hulk.

shaowebb

And yet still I hear folks say they wish the 1 to 3 character team formatting, choose any move for an assist, solid netcode and no infinite/unblockables are something they wish for in Marvel.

Like what you want, but I think yall are remembering only the bad times with Skullgirls. At least they patched things they found bad and also it was a first outing for them. Pretty impressive for your first attempt. I honestly don't know if Marvel's contract is worded in such a way that it limits patching or anything. We sure got a lot of Akuma ones.

Anyhow I think Lab Zero should keep doing fighters and deserve some licensed work opportunities. Personally, i'd enjoy it to be marvel but thats not exactly realistic and I know it. Wish someone would hire them. They do good work in spite of selective issues that were patched out. I know I never saw a 100+ page community patch list of demands on that game lol.

I think people who want LZ to make Marvel(or VSAV) should be banned :p

Nah, they just don't like Marvel games made by Capcom so they're trying to push the narrative that XXX or YYY could make a better Marvel vs Capcom Game than Capcom.

As good as Skullgirls is, it's nowhere near the quality of the best VS games from Capcom.

Godlike netcode & features tho'

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean the jist of it is that there just wasn't a single thing in the week or so that I played of Skullgirls that was as satisfying as simply pressing s.H with Hulk.
Damn, I've never been able to articulate it before, but this is completely true. Very unsatisfying experience in a lot of ways, as a combination of the visuals, sound effects, general feel of moves and movement, etc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Damn, I've never been able to articulate it before, but this is completely true. Very unsatisfying experience in a lot of ways, as a combination of the visuals, sound effects, general feel of moves and movement, etc.

Just the most flaccid feeling game ever.

But yeah, sure, they can do netcode and QoL stuff just fine.

Seyavesh

Grabbing people with Nova and having forever to continue the combo is never not fun.

really doing anything with nova feels good, even moving around with his weird ass dash (because of how dangerous his j.H is)

the feeling of birthdaying someone with raw dog H rocket punch is the probably one of the greatest in a fighting game i've ever experienced

like they thought they were safe 'cuz they just pushblocked you and it's their turn and you're fullscreen now in recovery calling their assist NOPE RRRRRROCKET PUNCH

it's even better when they're airborne and feel like they're safe and you still catch both chars because the crumple takes forever

Anne

Mike Z can make a fighting game that works well but boy he hasn't quite got down satisfying hits yet,

If Skullgirls felt better to control and wasn't based around every character having 5 way mix up I'd probably be a hardcore SG player :v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom