• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
And don't forget to donate to the thing directly. None of this, uhhh we're streaming and uh you donate to us and we'll then give the money to EVO peoples.

cj_iwakura

i mean

you could donate your hard-earned money to a charity that offers more than feelgood human interest stories

Not to mention that I'm a little skeptical about how they operate. Massive charities like that aren't necessarily all sunshine and rainbows, especially when they strong arm retailers into getting donations for them.

This is a bit of a tangent, though.

Lemstar

i don't like donation events for charity in general

they exist to convince you to spend money so that the organizers can get positive PR from it

it's actually really dumb that everyone is alright with evo exploiting communities' identities and exacerbating their tensions by tying donations to the incentive of getting their game to the main event

the only thing i can do about it is vote with my wallet, though

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kalamari

Not all charities are created equal, some have massive fund raising costs which means only a fraction of money goes toward their goal. I think the Make-a-wish foundation is better than most.

Wallach

gCGo6dG.gif

Dahbomb

It is interesting to muse about an alternate timelin where Skullgirls won over Melee but the notion that the Melee community owes something to the Skullgirl's community is preposterous.

Really though the bad guy in all of this is EVO for pitting communities against each other under the banner of good faith. No one likes this kind of thing, it feels exploitative even if it may not be intended as such.

NEO0MJ

It is interesting to muse about an alternate timelin where Skullgirls won over Melee but the notion that the Melee community owes something to the Skullgirl's community is preposterous.

Really though the bad guy in all of this is EVO for pitting communities against each other under the banner of good faith. No one likes this kind of thing, it feels exploitative even if it may not be intended as such.

The CEO of Lab Zero mentioned how one of the reason they didn't do a poll for which Incarnations would be playable in Indivisible is because of how nasty it got during the vote for the the community picked Skullgirls characters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The CEO of Lab Zero mentioned how one of the reason they didn't do a poll for which Incarnations would be playable in Indivisible is because of how nasty it got during the vote for the the community picked Skullgirls characters.
I wonder if some of this vitriol or competitiveness could have been mitigated by letting people choose their Top 3, so that they're not so attached to one camp and defending it so passionately.

NEO0MJ

I wonder if some of this vitriol or competitiveness could have been mitigated by letting people choose their Top 3, so that they're not so attached to one camp and defending it so passionately.

They were allowed to pick their their top 32, and reorder between rounds!
Heck, in the polling for the second character they employed an instant runoff voting system and things still got toxic.

Dlent

You voted for whatever four designs you liked, if I'm not mistaken.

edit: what he said.

NEO0MJ

The CEO is basically saying the fans are baby drones who couldn't get the fish doctor in so dw hes in by our hand

Fish doctor, fish moe, and thousand year old demon hero who looks like a kid not making it were the big upsets. I'd say hourglass maiden as well but her fans were so quiet you'd barely believe they exist if it were not for her solid showing.

I've booked a nine hour round trip on a coach to play at the first revived WSO SFV tournament in London and I just found out there's a local down the road on the same day.

God dammit.

Dahbomb

Random Smasher arguing against another random Smasher on random message forum.

This looks like something you would see on a daily basis in Smash forums with the whole "Tr4sh" nonsense.

Dahbomb

You would think that this thing is what you see online only but it happens every week IRL. There is ALWAYS some heated Smash 4 vs Melee argument going on where I hang out at locals. Melee players legit hate Smash 4 more than any other game that isn't Brawl which everyone hates. Like they don't even want to acknowledge its existence.

Which is a damn shame because combined they could propell one Smash game through the stratosphere and secure #1 spot at EVO.

NEO0MJ

Which is a damn shame because combined they could propell one Smash game through the stratosphere and secure #1 spot at EVO.

Unlike other FGCs Melee players are completely against moving on to the next game. I mean I can get not wanting Brawl, but 4 is super solid and fun. Me an my friends were glad to move on, but it seems only a quarter of Melee players were willing to do the same.

Dahbomb

You don't have to move on, you can just be respectful to other games and communities and not act entitled or that everyone who does not think Melee is GOAT is a sub human pleb.

CurlyW

I think the upper-mid level players are generally reasonable, as are certain top players. It's mostly the scrubs that act like spoiled brats.

Wizard didnt mention the seating huh? I think a problem with the reserved seats up close is that it gives no incentive to arrive early which kind of ruins the atmosphere for the morning games.

That could also be due to the way the stage is set up too. It makes the audience look so removed from the players compared to pre-arena EVO top 8s.

I hope both of those things change.

edit: I forgot to mention the sound. I think it's important for EVO to be able to show the stream audience how hype these top 8s can be. Those stream viewers are potential future live attendees and EVO is an important event to capture new fans of fighting games. Last year's sound was whack. I know I enjoyed past top 8s much more than last year's top 8 because I could feel the crowd was hype. I know people who went to the event felt the hype as they have all said the atmosphere was great, but you couldn't feel that from home.

In general, a lot of the huge events suffered from sound problems last year. Capcom Cup, EVO, and Tekken NA finals all sounded like crap.

Dahbomb

I think the upper-mid level players are generally reasonable, as are certain top players. It's mostly the scrubs that act like spoiled brats.
And those are the players that confuse me the most.

They are not interested in seeing Armada vs random mid tier player because everyone knows that's going to be a boring blow out. What everyone really wants to see is the top 8 or so Melee players play each other. Melee seems far more suited for long round Robin style exhibitions among the best, sort of like Marvel 2 in its last few years. At some point you just have to be realistic about yourself. Maybe they enjoy beating lower tier player than them or just contributing to the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom