• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capcom did try though with SFxT being their main tour game that year in a tournament series celebrating SF anniversary!
Yeah it was clear Capcom intended for xT to succeed SFIV as the main SF game and it was only after its smoldering fetid crater of a bomb that they pivoted back.

USFIV would have released a year earlier if they actually intended on supporting both games at once

Sayad

Yeah it was clear Capcom intended for xT to succeed SFIV as the main SF game and it was only after its smoldering fetid crater of a bomb that they pivoted back.

USFIV would have released a year earlier if they actually intended on supporting both games at once
This is also why they dropped SFIV the way they did when V came out.

Capcom did try though with SFxT being their main tour game that year in a tournament series celebrating SF anniversary!

What was the prize money like when it was first announced? Because the prize money when it was all said and done was equal for both games except for 1st place (added car). Daigo for example didn't even bother playing SFxT. Topanga League didn't even feature SFxT. For a large part of the community, SF4 was still the main game with the most prestige.

The competitive standard for Puyo is still a 20 year old game, and rather than try to force players onto a new game with new rules Sega eventually capitulated and started including support for the standard ruleset in all their recent few games

This way grognards are incentized to buy the latest game cause that's where the netplay population will end up migrating

Beckx

The competitive standard for Puyo is still a 20 year old game, and rather than try to force players onto a new game with new rules Sega eventually capitulated and started including support for the standard ruleset in all their recent few games

This way grognards are incentized to buy the latest game cause that's where the netplay population will end up migrating

i think Nintendo has adopted the strategy of waiting for the Melee crowd to die of old age

Either that or their parents kick them out of the basement.
College scenes for Melee are strong tho

This one weekend one of our roommates who I guess was a Melee player randomly invited a bunch of people to the house while everybody else was out and completely trashed the place and left a giant CRT in the living room

notworksafe

ok i did my part

C3IBP7VVYAAeuSI.jpg:large

NEO0MJ

This one weekend one of our roommates who I guess was a Melee player randomly invited a bunch of people to the house while everybody else was out and completely trashed the place and left a giant CRT in the living room

Shush, don't ruin my narrative!

Kalamari

Smash players in your house? Gross!

notworksafe

we've worked with the smash players here a few times on events and weeklies and every time after an event they leave huge amounts of trash everywhere. sometimes even on the floor NEXT to a trashcan.

the folks we know in the scene there say it's pretty normal and gotten them in trouble with venues before but no one ever changed. i guess the scene as a whole balked when a venue charged an extra $1 per head because of having to clean up after them every week but still didn't actually bother to start cleaning up to get in cheaper lol.

Line_HTX

A debt to pay? I think SG likes their exposure better at Combo Breaker instead. I highly doubt they need EVO at this point anymore.

I know the message on the Smash boards looks like just people trashing themselves but I kinda agree. Someone talked about SF3 earlier and I thought about it a few days ago. I love playing Third Strike at locals and watching Cooperation Cup but I really don't like watching solo tournaments where you always see the same 5 characters in finals. Cooperation cup had fun finals this year because it's a team tournament. An amazing Ryu did some work and an Alex won the last match but they probably need a Chun-li to get there too before. It makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Even if they still are discovering cool things in those games, you really need to have a very complete understanding of the games to understand if it's big or not. And a team tournament really helps you discovering more things just by character diversity.

Dahbomb

A debt to pay? I think SG likes their exposure better at Combo Breaker instead. I highly doubt they need EVO at this point anymore.
You don't "need" EVO but it's big exposure to a game and can give a community spark or an adrenaline boost to reach the next level.

And history tends to remember past EVOs. I can't tell you who won in what game at SCR or NCR in Skullgirls 3 years but if it had an EVO those players would be remembered especially the winner. Not to mention the sponsorships.

Imagine if there was no Marvel 3 last year and ChrisG did not get a chance to win at it... he may not have had enough leverage to get sponsorship from Echo Fox. It's possible that he still might have gotten it but getting that EVO win under his belt made it easier for him.

crash-14

You don't have to move on, you can just be respectful to other games and communities and not act entitled or that everyone who does not think Melee is GOAT is a sub human pleb.

Man, I'm having this feeling on the player choice thread...

Being the first game at EVO final day, in an arena, broadcasting for most likely 70-90k might not be needed to survive as a game. But if you want your game to get exposure it's more than welcomed.

I get that they might be happy the way they are.

Still don't get the trend "We don't need EVO" that some communitys are on just because they didn't get what they deserved...

notworksafe

1. there is no "deserve". if a game is good enough, it will get a community and will blow up.
2. some communities don't need evo, nothing wrong with that. sg is a perfect example.

Anne

Still don't get the trend "We don't need EVO" that some communitys are on just because they didn't get what they deserved...

A lot of it stems from the fact that Evo as an organization has really fucked with perceptions regarding the life cycles of games, and due to how experiences regarding the event turned out they got really sour about it.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the guys running Evo, but it's true that the org is very irresponsible about handling what influence they have over the community. I don't think it's out of malice at all, it's just their hands off approach to anything but their event. I can definitely be okay with any community saying they don't want to be a part of the Evo life/death cycle anymore.

I've done digging into the specific history on this and honestly it gets pretty nasty. If I ever get inspired to actually write again I would put something out there, but atm my motivation is extremely dead.

shaowebb

Injustice made mad bank. All NRS titles do. Also their scenes are super dedicated to their games and they interact a lot so they feel like their opinion matters. Its a very close community but not as angry as many others (they get mad but not as crazy as smashers or other crews).

https://www.twitch.tv/cdjr02

CDjr is streaming right now. Foxy Grampa and Reo is in the chat. He thinks Supergirl is the best in the beta. I'm thinking Atrocitus. CDjr is showing off some mad box dashing J1 kicks with supergirl and he's crossing everyone the fuck up.

CO_Andy

NRS has a very dedicated casual community, i'll give them that

perhaps its time for MK vs SF afterall. rip off Chun's head, Sub-Zero!

also still can't believe USF2 didn't make the list. any list

shaowebb

16bit just dropped some good news. MB f3 and B3 stuff CANNOT be airteched for a bar. thats very good as some folks in the last game were reliant on B3 combos. It'd mean folks without a need to B3 for damage would gain an advantage as they wouldn't have their combos halted as often and they could bait meter poverty with B3 stuff at no cost of their own to gain clash advantage in a matchup. This means folks who need the B3 dont have to feel like they have no option for damage in the game now.

I still plan to do raw B3 with Atrocitus in combos occassionally and fish for them to waste bar because I think I can bloodnado them once they land. Either I get a combo or a reset if recovery on B3 is right and I can input it upon air tech's flash on read. :)

crash-14

1. there is no "deserve". if a game is good enough, it will get a community and will blow up.
2. some communities don't need evo, nothing wrong with that. sg is a perfect example.

1.I forgot to put "think" on there.
2.Of course some communities can leave without evo, but I don't think they say it cuz it's a fact rather than them still being a bid mad with the event. I would believe it if the game was included to EVO and the community didn't care. I doubt that would be the case in this fabula nova cristis scenario. you really want to have the chance to gain a big blow up things change. I don't know how big it's Skullgirl on Japan, but been on that Sunday slot this EVO could mean more people to that community and actually have enough following to be included in future EVO Japan entries.
Again, I'm sure Skullgirls community are happy that way, but doubt they'll refuse this scenario if given the chance. And all that despite how they feel EVO treat their game...

Still who knows. Combo Breaker it's just getting bigger every year. Maybe it'll reach a point were it can provide what EVO does in a smaller degree (but still much bigger than actual CC).

my freaking mobile phone, tho...

Beckx

so koogy has an interesting point in his SG stream about what the definition of low level play is - you can execute everything, but your basic game understanding (spacing, neutral play, etc.) is very bad.

as he says "if you can't do combos you can't play this game." which i think is true and true for marvel too. i guess one of the big reasons i prefer SG is that i found characters where i can do basic combos reliably and enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom