• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they had 2v2 Vs. games 20 years ago. None of them caught on like Marvel 2 and 3. None of them had a significant tournament scene. Those games established and solidified a distinctive gameplay paradigm which has very few imitators. They're like Smash in that respect. Some small but fundamental things about Smash changed with Brawl (e.g. tripping diluting competition with random chance) and the fans didn't really take to it. These changes to Marvel are bigger.

It's my firm belief that the next Marvel Vs. game after Infinite will be Marvel Vs. Capcom 4. It will return to the 3v3 with assists format.
If there is another marvel game.. Most people counted a MvC after UMvC3 out so we're lucky we're getting another one...

JeTmAn81

Marvel 3 (including Ultimate) sold millions. It was definitely a sales success. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the biggest movie series of all time. We'll be getting more of these games for a long time.

More like they've had dull commentators forced on them for several EVOs. Thats where the "our own commentators" comes from.

A lot of what you read up there is my own personal dislike for Aris because I don't support anyone who talks the kind of shit he did during Cross Assault about women in the FGC. Guys a creeper and I dont respect his views on that shit at all. I dont care if he can make folks laugh. I'd rather a pro sexism/bullying guy not be the voice heard during any game. Thats just my two cents on Aris. Others may feel different.

Really? You're still hung up on this five years later? Aris realized what he did was wrong, cleaned up his act, and he doesn't do that shit anymore. He's a perfect example of redemption where someone learned from their mistake and made themselves into a better person because of it. Miranda stopped giving a shit about it years ago. She doesn't need you to continue fighting on her behalf.

Marvel 3 (including Ultimate) sold millions. It was definitely a sales success. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the biggest movie series of all time. We'll be getting more of these games for a long time.
It sells a lot but licensing cannot be cheap now. So game has to sell a lot to be profitable.

Malice215

People need to stop getting burthurt over Aris commentating NRS games when the opportunity has been there for years for people to step up and get in EVO's good graces. And he's done more to clean up his act than most people. #FreeArnis

If Capcom doesn't crap out another turd, I think the potential is there for MVCI to blow up. The change back to 2v2 is going to bring in more casual players. Plus the game will be on 3 systems. If the money/competition is there, you won't hear about UMVC3.

TvC exhibition up at FF

Thanks. Just bought TvC the other day so I could dive into it.

Marvel games on mobile have been the success, and releasing two games in 9 months hurt UMVC3 sales. There wouldn't be a MVCI if Capcom had to front the cash for it because licensing hasn't become any cheaper.

People need to stop getting burthurt over Aris commentating NRS games when the opportunity has been there for years for people to step up and get in EVO's good graces.

How would you recommend a NRS commentator "step up"? We have dedicated NRS commentators who are literally professionals, they work for ESL, but they still get passed over. We have commentators who are good enough that they are praised even by some of the guys in the commentary Illuminati. They still get passed over. So what are we supposed to be doing here?

Yeah, they had 2v2 Vs. games 20 years ago. None of them caught on like Marvel 2 and 3. None of them had a significant tournament scene. Those games established and solidified a distinctive gameplay paradigm which has very few imitators. They're like Smash in that respect. Some small but fundamental things about Smash changed with Brawl (e.g. tripping diluting competition with random chance) and the fans didn't really take to it. These changes to Marvel are bigger.

I could definitely see an umvc3 scene sticking around for the reasons you mentioned. For 17 years, "mahvel" has exclusively meant 3 points, 3 assists, dedicated assist buttons. Even a lot of the mvc2 OG's probably never/rarely played the earlier games. If no new game is offering that kind of gameplay with the characters people want to use, I could see a scene sticking around for umvc3, even though MVCI will obviously be the bigger game at that point.

It's my firm belief that the next Marvel Vs. game after Infinite will be Marvel Vs. Capcom 4. It will return to the 3v3 with assists format.

I have no idea if this'll happen, but my personal wish is that MVCI gets lots of support and DLC characters for years, and then once it's built up a huge roster, they add an "advanced mode" or "classic mode" or maybe just a sequel where it uses the same characters and moves from MVCI but goes back to 3v3 assists gameplay. That's personally what I'd like to see happen, but who knows.

Marvel 3 Pc requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, or better
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX260, or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 16 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound compatible (must support DirectX 9.0c or higher)
Additional Notes: Genuine Xbox 360 PC compatible controller recommended.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.7 GHz, or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560, or better
© 2017 MARVEL

JeTmAn81

Marvel 3 Pc requirements

MINIMUM:

RECOMMENDED:
© 2017 MARVEL

How does this compare to Ultra SFIV? My lappy runs that fine. Marvel 3's an old game, so it should run on a toaster at this point.

How does this compare to Ultra SFIV? My lappy runs that fine. Marvel 3's an old game, so it should run on a toaster at this point.
Ultra SF4 spec

MINIMUM
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or better
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 12 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better (except NVIDIA GeForce 7300)
DirectX®: 9.0c or greater
Sound: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio

RECOMMENDED
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz or better
Hard Disk Space: 12 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
DirectX®: 9.0c or greater
Sound: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio

Marvel 3 Pc requirements

MINIMUM:

RECOMMENDED:
© 2017 MARVEL

Looking forward to the mods

Dahbomb

These specs like slightly more heavy than SF4 but not too dramatic. Should be able to run on old stuff just fine if its well optimized.

i think those specs are outclassed by most actual toasters

Dat 16 GB of storage doe. Also DX9, most MT framework games on PC supported DX11. Not sure if it made any difference in some games like Devil May Cry though. By most I am just thinking of Lost Planet and DMC.

Seyavesh

why the hell is it 16gb lol
the ps4 version is 4gb or something along those lines and it's all mt framework stuff anyways so it lines up w/ the xbox/ps3 versions
also i guess ill screw around and try and get out a magneto alt mod in like the first hour of the game being out but idk what palette id replace with it first, haha
...i mean, i know i'd replace the awful pink/purple magneto (color 5, iirc?) but the part that sucks is that other folks would see you playing as that wack ass color

shaowebb

Really? You're still hung up on this five years later? Aris realized what he did was wrong, cleaned up his act, and he doesn't do that shit anymore. He's a perfect example of redemption where someone learned from their mistake and made themselves into a better person because of it. Miranda stopped giving a shit about it years ago. She doesn't need you to continue fighting on her behalf.

Too little too late for me to care. I avoid the dude. Only times I've seen him was when he'd get thrown over NRS commentators to commentate their stuff...badly. If he cleaned up good for him. If Miranda forgave him good for her. I just dont see Aris as good enough for me to care about though. Besides...just because someone doesn't act sexist on camera anymore when their a public face after a controversy doesn't mean they're worth trusting IMO.

Too little. Too late. I lost respect for him and just dont trust him enough to try to respect him again. Especially if they're still so immature as to announce people's personal info on stream over a spoiler.

Well, Aris is a great streamer and it's his job now, which means that a lot of people doesn't care anymore about what happened during Cross Assault, and that's good because he's a better person now. Don't care about people hating on him tbh.

The NRS situation is fucked up tho', i like Aris but him commentating MKX @ EVO ? Nah.

But every commentator have to make a choice at EVO, and i'm pretty sure that Aris will choose Tekken 7 this year.

mbpm1

Too little too late for me to care. I avoid the dude. Only times I've seen him was when he'd get thrown over NRS commentators to commentate their stuff...badly. If he cleaned up good for him. If Miranda forgave him good for her. I just dont see Aris as good enough for me to care about though. Besides...just because someone doesn't act sexist on camera anymore when their a public face after a controversy doesn't mean they're worth trusting IMO.

Too little. Too late. I lost respect for him and just dont trust him enough to try to respect him again. Especially if they're still so immature as to announce people's personal info on stream over a spoiler.

*shrug*

You don't have to trust someone to like public commentary/streaming.

JeTmAn81

I've always found Aris to be repugnant. The stuff around that SFxT show certainly didn't help. I'm not sure what his appeal is for folks.

shaowebb

I've always found Aris to be repugnant. The stuff around that SFxT show certainly didn't help. I'm not sure what his appeal is for folks.

Same. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm hoping the Pig of the Hut side tourney happens. If its him running this thing the way he says I trust him. Hell I'd pay to watch that and chip into the pot. Good commentary and bracketing at an MK tourney makes for some serious entertainment. Here's hoping Tekken Master vs SonicFox gets a runback in top 8.

That's because the scenes from back then were incredibly small compared to now, ya doofus. Scenes were basically landlocked and could only communicate via SRK.com (back when it wasn't a website for ads) and tech was discovered by reviewing VHS footage. It's completely ridiculous to try and compare a scene for a game nearly two decades ago to a scene now.

notworksafe

not only were scenes landlocked, they were basically arcade only. there weren't worthwhile ports of a lot of those games so arcade is where everyone gathered and where the tournaments were held. comparing a setup like that to marvel 3 is ridiculous lol.

Riposte

"Dave's Stupid Rule" being the name of an actual rule in Smash really says it all. They are like the rednecks of the FGC.

Aris is one of the best personalities on twitch, period, but I understand why he shouldn't be commentating MKX on the biggest stage.

Doomshine

Aris belongs in death row with the other criminals who don't deserve forgiveness

t3RUtrq.gif

Anne

By Koogy's definition, I think Evo 2011 Viscant was lower than a low level player as well.

Viscant had combos, a gameplan, meta knowledge, and more down. Everybody at the time was like mid-level or worse by today's standards, but he definitely understood the game more than low level.

Viscant had combos, a gameplan, meta knowledge, and more down. Everybody at the time was like mid-level or worse by today's standards, but he definitely understood the game more than low level.

that 10 min break after the reset also helped him out. I still remember viscant saying he'd look for resets in combos b/c he'd always drop wesker combos so he'd figure out what his other options were at that point

pizzacat

Banned
"Dave's Stupid Rule" being the name of an actual rule in Smash really says it all. They are like the rednecks of the FGC.

Aris is one of the best personalities on twitch, period, but I understand why he shouldn't be commentating MKX on the biggest stage.
And like moonshine to rednecks we should take away their melee

Dahbomb

When Viscant won EVO he was far ahead of the meta than everyone else. So his game knowledge was extremely advanced.

The shell of point character + invincible assist + Phoenix was first used well by Viscant before other people picked up (Richard Nguyen and Flocker) and that was probably the best team configuration in the game because invincible assists stopped the rushdown and Phoenix by herself killed all zoning teams.

He figured out the game while people were still using stuff like She Hulk and Amaterasu Cold Shot assist with Wolverine.

Kumubou

FGC shouldve adopted the US penal system and gave him 30 to life
You're acting like he did something like have a joint on him or something. You think this country cares about something like sexually harassing women?

(Actual answer, since that comes across as absurdly glib: He did something awful several years ago, caught a ton of flak for it then and hasn't had any real issues of that nature since. You don't have to associate with him or like his MKX commentary (it is rather bad, truth be told) but acting like people can't change at all is crazy.)

That's because the scenes from back then were incredibly small compared to now, ya doofus. Scenes were basically landlocked and could only communicate via SRK.com (back when it wasn't a website for ads) and tech was discovered by reviewing VHS footage. It's completely ridiculous to try and compare a scene for a game nearly two decades ago to a scene now.
An actual, sensible post by Beef. The fuck?????

When Viscant won EVO he was far ahead of the meta than everyone else. So his game knowledge was extremely advanced.

The shell of point character + invincible assist + Phoenix was first used well by Viscant before other people picked up (Richard Nguyen and Flocker) and that was probably the best team configuration in the game because invincible assists stopped the rushdown and Phoenix by herself killed all zoning teams.

He figured out the game while people were still using stuff like She Hulk and Amaterasu Cold Shot assist with Wolverine.

He also deliberately went with high-health characters since you gained so much meter from getting hit in vanilla.

Vanilla Marvel still had a lot of juice so it's hard to say. We didn't even know about plink dashing at that point.

Man, I remember when Wolverine could just berserker slash through projectiles lol.

JeTmAn81

Viscant's strengths in Marvel 3 were always his neutral game and mixup knowledge, not technical ability or reactions. That's his thing, he's a thinker. I think playing at a low level is having the basic technical ability to play but the inability to read your opponent well and adapt quickly.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";229221798]We didn't even know about plink dashing at that point.[/QUOTE]

It was in the strategy guide at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom