• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember viscant saying he'd look for resets in combos b/c he'd always drop wesker combos so he'd figure out what his other options were at that point

Viscant didn't have the greatest execution and he knew his limitations, so he expertly built a team and gameplan that would work within those limitations. Dude's fuckin smart and he earned that evo trophy for sure.

It's the execution thing that would make him not meet the bare minimum for "low level play" based on what Koogy said, which is why I thought Viscant was kind of a funny outlier.

JeTmAn81

I still remember Viscant predicting himself as EVO 2011 winner in a Wake Up Shoryuken podcast a few weeks prior. That was pretty boss.

Anne

It's the execution thing that would make him not meet the bare minimum for "low level play" based on what Koogy said, which is why I thought Viscant was kind of a funny outlier.

When Koogy says "can do combos" I'm willing to bet he means that you know what your routes are and can finish them pretty often. That's how most people qualify that type of deal. Again, Viscant at least had that, and he at least planned for the case of drops happening. A non-competitive player is probably just doing ABCS > MMH > TAC or something.

It has less to do with if you drop often and more if you can play the game with "real" combo routes in mind.

I don't. Remind me who he played with?

He played Wolverine/Dante/Akuma.

I remember him beating CJ Showstopper on stream. Homie was salty as fuck.

You know what's funny? Daigo never played SFXT in tourney at all. I was quite sure he going to give the game a try, but he never did.

I'm fully capable of them, but low-effort posts are more fun.

Is that why I have this luscious head of hair?

*runs fingers through it*

mmmmmm
images

Sometimes I think I can feel my scalp dying.

shaowebb

TVC pools play archived here today from Frosty Faustings.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/117750291

top 8 at 9pm CST at this channel.
https://www.twitch.tv/meleeeveryday

Wanted to go but work+prices just meant I couldn't. Caught a lot of shit from some dude on facebook trying to claim he was going on only $50 for the whole trip via plane and on the day his child was to be born *eyeroll*. Guy talks shit at everyone for not doin enough honestly. I support the community and game but man some folks are ridiculous about trying to trash talk folks who can't make it out. Hoping to make it out sometime, but real life costs and career = streaming it again. My local scene is pretty warm to the game and might run sets.

At least I'll make the next MKXL tourney next month at my local. Hoping to run it back vs that dude in grand finals. Need to practice my D'vorah and see if I can take his Takeda.

NEO0MJ

He played Wolverine/Dante/Akuma.

I remember him beating CJ Showstopper on stream. Homie was salty as fuck.

You know what's funny? Daigo never played SFXT in tourney at all. I was quite sure he going to give the game a try, but he never did.

That team seems to fit him.

And wow, he never attended a SFxTKN tournament? Color me surprised.

images

Sometimes I think I can feel my scalp dying.

Don't worry, going bald builds character!

Beckx

low-effort posts are more fun.

which is how we get pizzacat

When Koogy says "can do combos" I'm willing to bet he means that you know what your routes are and can finish them pretty often. That's how most people qualify that type of deal. Again, Viscant at least had that, and he at least planned for the case of drops happening. A non-competitive player is probably just doing ABCS > MMH > TAC or something.

It has less to do with if you drop often and more if you can play the game with "real" combo routes in mind.

that's how i took it. plus i don't think he meant you had to force every square peg into a round hole.

shaowebb

Pretty fun reading the TVC chat replay with Keits, Honzo Gonzo and a bunch of fans chatting tech. Keits brought up how Yatter-2 + Polimar is some of the stankiest loops and cheapness ever lol. This man knows whats up. Yatter-2 is a poke machine with great multihit tools and stuff that is super annoying like a super that gives her a robot that just randomly flies at you to knock your ass into hitstun. Plus she had projectiles that on whif bounced off the walls or top of the stage off screen that got FASTER the longer they were out. Fucking hilarious to throw a few in the air right at jump height then one straight up and call the robot.

QisTopTier bodied me doing things like that one time. I kept trying to dash in through all the Yatter-2 bouncy shit and bots and other shit he does and thought I made it only to have the one off screen that hit the stage roof knock the fuck outta me when it came back down as he watched from fullscreen while backdashing. Fucking hilarious set. Happened right after threading the needle and escaping near death shit over and over. You could hear me even without a mic yelling "WHYYYYY!?" as that fucker came down on my head.

I miss the game. Wish it'd come back somehow.

Seyavesh

MvC3 and SFxT both came out during Daigo's "I'm super depressed about fighting games" phase too.

mvc3 is the first time i ever saw daigo smile on stream
specifically when he lost to floe, on the big stage at evo

now i know that smile was the smile of a broken man

MrDaravon

"try to keep in mind how far the game has come since launch"

oh, you mean how the game launched totally unfinished outside of the core gameplay/fighting and still is in some regards a year later? ok

"try to keep in mind how far the game has come since launch"

oh, you mean how the game launched totally unfinished outside of the core gameplay/fighting and still is in some regards a year later? ok

SFV didn't even launch with the core gameplay, it was locked out for several days unless you were playing local.

JimiNutz

Banned
My girlfriend and I are looking for a fighting game that we can play together locally.
When it comes to fighting games we are both extremely casual (she will simply button mash, while I may try to pull off the odd special move but will not be very good).

Whats our best bet between Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter V?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My girlfriend and I are looking for a fighting game that we can play together locally.
When it comes to fighting games we are both extremely casual (she will simply button mash, while I may try to pull off the odd special move but will not be very good).

Well if you're mostly concerned with just playing against each other and are roughly similar in skill, then I don't think the choice matters much and you might as well just play whatever game that looks the coolest.

If you want to play online or if you actually want to learn how to really play a game whose community isn't already 6 years ahead of you in experience, then SFV is probably the wiser choice. If you want to turn on simple mode and mash out autocombos and lots of flashy laser beams and shit, then Marvel has a lot going for it.

Killer Instinct's combo assist feature can have you execute big combos by literally holding forward and repeatedly pressing any attack button.

Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 will be good choices when they release later this year. Both have super moves you can execute by pushing two buttons at the same time.

In my experience, people playing at a beginner level can have a really good time playing Tekken if they're playing casually with someone who's not way better than them. You can just mash buttons and your guy will do something cool. No fancy inputs needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom