• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sense of entitlement is definitely seems strong with some in the Melee community. It doesn't surprise me since these guys are use to having their own dedicated events in which they have the spot light all to themselves. But if they want to be at FGC events they gotta understand that it's not their event and they're sharing the stage with a lot of other games. Some of those guys really do seem like they feel their game should be given preferential treatment above everything else, even SFV.

Give me this as a non-charge character Capcom, please:
https://twitter.com/galtu444444/status/748901189400403970

First time I've seen this. She almost looks like a fully fleshed out character. I don't see why Capcom wouldn't throw some of these characters in the main character line up. Looks like a easy way to increase the roster at a bargain since it's mostly reused Cammy assets.

petghost

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208942957]...Sagat? There's nothing likely about him outside of fan demand. He's canonically not even fighting right now.[/QUOTE]

I thought ono hinted at him in some way.

CO_Andy

Why Oro but not C. Viper?
If we're talking about somewhat popular characters that haven't made an appearance in a long while... Oro is up there (both high on Infil and Xian's list). Oh yeah, and Sodom. One of the SFV devs mentioned there would be difficulty in localizing Sodom's Japanglish.

all this melee stuff will go away next year when kof14 replaces the game at evo

dont worry :)
Not as long as the game is bringing 2000+ people.

If we're talking about somewhat popular characters that haven't made an appearance in a long while... Oro is up there (both high on Infil and Xian's list). Oh yeah, and Sodom. One of the SFV devs mentioned there would be difficulty in localizing Sodom's Japanglish.
People want Oro like people wanted Alex. No one cares.

No one wants Sodom.

Rage grand finals matchups have been decided dragonball style.

Fuudo vs Cojiro
Tokido vs Eita

Nuki vs Yukadon
Kazunoko vs Storm Kubo

ShinMaruku

http://www.eventhubs.com/moves/usf4oe/decapre/

That was what Decapre was in Omega mode.
Omega Decapre was the most fun I had in a good while

Huh I wonder if Jebaily just drops Melee and keeps 4. Sounds extremely childish of these top players.

I think that could do quite fine the 4 community is much more well adjusted it seems.

Punish all Melee fans?
Sometimes the many must suffer for the few. But in all honesty I just think people treated Melee's top players with kid gloves too often.

ShinMaruku

I have so much thoughts on Juri that will need time to think on.

But the first thing is she should have a bikini with her hair down.

FSE 2.0 is great.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208942957]...Sagat? There's nothing likely about him outside of fan demand. He's canonically not even fighting right now.[/QUOTE]
He's probably being announced at EVO. Nonzero chance of a Kuma guest character announcement later around Capcom cup too.

Crimson Viper
Sean
Oro
Decapre
Gill
Azam
Sakura
Abel
Akuma

Seems like a safe list for S2.

Tripon

Crowd at Anime Expo is packed to watch Tekken 7. Therefore Tekken is anime?

CmU33hvVUAAaNY3.jpg

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/749066349381492736

Anne

I'm trying to learn more about tournament rules and the different fighting game scenes. Is there a reason why most Top 8s are best 3/5? Is it just to make the hype last longer?

Competitive people will tell you longer sets give players more wiggle room, reduces randomness, better player usually wins, etc.

The main reason though is cause spectators wanna see more games and longer sets.

I personally think it's silly to just change the BoX number at some arbitrary point in the tournament, but if you want the final stages to be more consistent and better for comp players we have to do things this way because of time constraints. In an ideal world we'd have things become Bo5 earlier than top 8, as early as possible, but we just don't have the time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sfv story mode was so shitty compared to sign/rev. Was a whole bunch of pointless fights just to have fights and because they are playable you don't really see anything cool for the most part. Also Rashid is best Sfv character story wise by a mile. Juri is annoying and a bad try hard character as always, urien acting like his normal edge lord ass self.

Had a few funny moments, but hot damn you can tell it was half baked and rushed still after all this time

Those blocky ninja models used in cutscenes WHY LOL, janky hair clothes, and boob physics all over too ... IN STORY CUTSCENES WTF.

The bonus side characters was a nice touch though

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think the blocky ninjas just weren't completely loaded yet. The story mode had that problem many times, mostly on Shadaloo base

Pompadour

Sfv story mode was so shitty compared to sign/rev. Was a whole bunch of pointless fights just to have fights and because they are playable you don't really see anything cool for the most part. Also Rashid is best Sfv character story wise by a mile. Juri is annoying and a bad try hard character as always, urien acting like his normal edge lord ass self.

Had a few funny moments, but hot damn you can tell it was half baked and rushed still after all this time

Those blocky ninja models used in cutscenes WHY LOL, janky hair clothes, and boob physics all over too ... IN STORY CUTSCENES WTF.

The bonus side characters was a nice touch though

I'd argue the only benefit to SIGN and Rev's story modes is you could put the controller down, change the input, and watch something worth watching while still being able to earn the in-game currency. All of these story modes were pretty awful, though.

I think the blocky ninjas just weren't completely loaded yet. The story mode had that problem many times, mostly on Shadaloo base

I believe they were literally the background characters for stages like Shadaloo HQ. They aren't high poly enough to be seen from so close.

Slaythe

I'd argue the only benefit to SIGN and Rev's story modes is you could put the controller down, change the input, and watch something worth watching while still being able to earn the in-game currency. All of these story modes were pretty awful, though.

No they weren't.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
All of these story modes were pretty awful, though.
Mk9, injustice, mkx, sign, and Rev are not even remotely close to awful.

The biggest flaw with sf5 was they just tried to cram the ending sf 2, alpha, and 4 plot lines and start up 3's all in 3 hours while trying to give everyone screen time in that limited time span even characters that don't mean much to the plot over all.

Gg story mode manages it's time a lot better with the characters in relevance not to mention it's longer on both halfs.

Sign and Rev did a way way better job of wrapping up past game stories so much so that I rank them combined together better than mk9's and Rev alone just edging it out.

Pompadour

Mk9, injustice, mkx, sign, and Rev are not even remotely close to awful.

The biggest flaw with sf5 was they just tried to cram the ending sf 2, alpha, and 4 plot lines and start up 3's all in 3 hours while trying to give everyone screen time in that limited time span even characters that don't mean much to the plot over all.

Gg story mode manages it's time a lot better with the characters in relevance not to mention it's longer on both halfs.

Sign and Rev did a way way better job of wrapping up past game stories so much so that I rank them combined together better than mk9's and Rev alone just edging it out.

I mean, I guess if you're judging these story modes as "good for fighting games" or "alright for videogames" but as far as stacking them up against traditional narrative entertainment they were pretty awful. It's C-Tier anime that I wouldn't watch regardless of what format it was in. The GGXrd story modes didn't even have gameplay in them so all I have to do judge them on is as a long film or short TV show which, in that regard, they're terrible. I mean, I'm mildly impressed some of the scenes could be handled on a PS3 (I played it on a PS4) but a lot of the action scenes looked pretty crappy. But really, SFV suffered from the same issue so I wouldn't say one is better than the other there.

The MK games probably had the best "looking" story modes with the least terrible writing, maybe, but overall I felt they were a waste of my time. None of them were enjoyable outside of knowing that I would get a reward for completing them which would allow me to buy some fun stuff in the game's shop.

SFV's story mode does it's job. It's entertaining and it delivers cool looking scenes. It just doesn't really have a sense of purpose.

MK/Injustice and GG both have their faults as well, but I think they're more compelling because the designers actually have a story they want to tell. They at the very least get you invested in what happens next.

I didn't really get that from SFV. It felt more like something you watch just waiting for you favorite character to show up. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's simple, low commitment and easy for anyone to enjoy.

Line_HTX

I find the jobber characters that you have to fight in story mode hilarious.

Are they still like that on Hard Mode or do they have better AI?

Horseress

I find the jobber characters that you have to fight in story mode hilarious.

Are they still like that on Hard Mode or do they have better AI?

Can't wait Peter mods, wonder what his 1 bar v-trigger does

btw Peter's voices are actually dubbed by Peter "Combofiend" Rosas

Line_HTX

Can't wait Peter mods, wonder what his 1 bar v-trigger does

btw Peter's voices are actually dubbed by Peter "Combofiend" Rosas

I know that, someone already screencapped that part of the ending credits, lol

I meant do they act differently on higher difficulty. Not enough sample size of Peter's grunting and fighting, haha

Tripon

Yeah, think about all the tournaments Necalli has won! Oh, wait

Haitani won BAM8 (ranking) with Necalli and Phenom (premier) with Necalli won Dreamhack Summer with the top Japanese players showing up.

Think of all the tournaments Chun Li has won! Oh, wait
CCL used Chun Li for FFM Rumble (ranking), and KVOxTSB (non ranking, but Japanese event) was a grand finals mirror match between Go1 and MOV.

Im pretty sure someone else posted that idea earlier. That there was 8 characters who were really good. Then 8 characters who weren't "bad", but definitely weren't on the same level as the top 8.

And then Zangief, who is the one flat-out Bad Character.

List is pretty accurate I'd say as of right now.

Sim is slowly falling out of relevency. Only 6 or 7 characters are really relevent as of now.

Ryu, Chun, Ken, Nash, Karin, Cammy & Nacalli(if Hitani is playing).

I can pretty much guarantee Top 8 at EVO wont have a character outside of those.

BiggNife

"canonically not even fighting" doesn't really mean anything, though, they could always make an excuse to bring him back.

People were saying Slayer wouldn't be in Xrd because Accent Core Plus ends with him retiring, but of course that didn't really matter in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom