• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Assuming they don't transition into a 4-day event next year I don't even know what they do next year in terms of venues and number of titles etc. Definitely don't envy Evo staff in the slightest, I guess we'll see how things go this year?

And although MrWizard (and probably a lot of other folks) would love to see Melee go if for nothing else logistical reasons (CRTs etc) I don't know that it's going to happen given the numbers and viewers it brings in. Might be able to make a case for it with Nintendo or something if their top players/community continue to be shitlords, that combined with space and logistical concerns you could probably make an argument to drop Melee to concentrate on Smash 4 + Pokken for next year but I still don't think it'll happen. Possible, but unlikely unless CEO and other major tourneys give Melee the boot maybe, but again there's a lot of numbers/viewers/money in Melee right now.

Kumubou

Venue space won't be an issue if they stay in the LVCC -- the place has up to three million square feet of space to work with and they currently are only using 140k square feet for Evo weekend. That would not be ideal since you would still have the split venues, but the event's already at the point where leasing convention center space is the only viable option. As for the game rotation, it seems straightforward enough -- Injustice 2 would replace MKXL, BBCF would replace Xrd:R (unless there's a Xrd update that's out on console a year from now, which is unlikely) and KoF XIV would probably replace whatever other game (like Pokken or KI) gets dropped. Continued support for KI is hardly a lock and if Microsoft stops cutting the check that's probably the first game to go.

If the Meele community keeps acting like shitlords then I would hope events would have no problem cutting them. Event organizers don't have time for communities that treat them like a mediocre event.

Beats

I think Pokken will only get the boot at EVO if The Pokemon Company drops their support for the game. The event is already part of their own competitive circuit plus there's the pot bonus and ticket to their world championships event for 1st/2nd place. Not sure if it'll grow or decline over the next year though.

Neoxon

Forgot NX was gonna be a port machine early
There was no way Sakurai & Bandai Namco could get another Smash game out that quickly unless they either pulled a Melee or did a Smash 4 port.

I think Pokken will only get the boot at EVO if The Pokemon Company drops their support for the game. The event is already part of their own competitive circuit plus there's the pot bonus and ticket to their world championships event for 1st/2nd place. Not sure if it'll grow or decline over the next year though.
There's also the fact that the Wii U is dying. If Pokkén doesn't get ported to the NX, Pokkén may sink with the Wii U. At least Smash 4 has a big enough community to keep itself alive.

If the Meele community keeps acting like shitlords then I would hope events would have no problem cutting them. Event organizers don't have time for communities that treat them like a mediocre event.

You know Jebailey said that that he still wants to support the community and that his problem was with a handful of players, right?

I know you guys are just looking for the opportunity to kick for whatever reason.

Chase17

There's also the fact that the Wii U is dying. If Pokkén doesn't get ported to the NX, Pokkén may sink with the Wii U. At least Smash 4 has a big enough community to keep itself alive.
Well, it looks like the arcade version of Pokken will be receiving a new character this month. One route is them maybe adding in a few more Pokémon in the arcade version over the rest of the year then including them in an NX version rather than as dlc for the Wii U. Although, wouldn't be surprised if they ended up just as Wii U dlc either.

Line_HTX

You know Jebailey said that that he still wants to support the community and that his problem was with a handful of players, right?

I know you guys are just looking for the opportunity to kick for whatever reason.

Yeah, it seems to me that this is mostly being driven by Leffen and his worshipping fans. Jebailey was ranting, but he knows he's gonna keep them in because at the end of the day he will still go out of his way to have Melee in.

Venue space won't be an issue if they stay in the LVCC -- the place has up to three million square feet of space to work with and they currently are only using 140k square feet for Evo weekend. That would not be ideal since you would still have the split venues, but the event's already at the point where leasing convention center space is the only viable option. As for the game rotation, it seems straightforward enough -- Injustice 2 would replace MKXL, BBCF would replace Xrd:R (unless there's a Xrd update that's out on console a year from now, which is unlikely) and KoF XIV would probably replace whatever other game (like Pokken or KI) gets dropped. Continued support for KI is hardly a lock and if Microsoft stops cutting the check that's probably the first game to go.

Seems to be xrd will still be more popular than bbcf when it's out. I feel like xrd is probably the most popular anime fighter the states has seen in a long time.

I agree with injustice 2 and kof, I think KI is done if MS doesn't continue to show the cash.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Seems to be xrd will still be more popular than bbcf when it's out. I feel like xrd is probably the most popular anime fighter the states has seen in a long time.

I agree with injustice 2 and kof, I think KI is done if MS doesn't continue to show the cash.
If so that's a shame bbcf is pretty superior to rev imo :p

Tho a balance patch with dizzy could shake things up in a good way.

Kumubou

If the Meele community is willing to support the game at events like CEO and Evo, then they'll keep running the game. However, if it turns out that things like having doubles for every Smash game, 3/5 the whole way through and private "hand-warming" stations are so important that they won't go to these events, then they can kick rocks. There's only so much time and space to go around.

Xrd has been relatively popular but I don't see that lasting once The ArcSys Cycle(R) rears its ugly head again.

Essay

Outside of Montreal and maybe NYC, I'm having trouble imagining BBCF building back up sustainable scenes (at least out east). The players I've seen that transitioned to Xrd from other anime games don't seem to be doing so begrudgingly, and generally don't promote BB to newer GG converts. Xrd's design choices, release-quality and community output has been so comfortably stable that I'm just not seeing a window for BBCP to blow up competitively like CP did in 2014 — especially when the games are similar enough that I'm often encountering salt at tournaments from players confusing their system mechanics, resolving to only enter one or the other going forward.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29171027

apparently N-otoko is playing xrd now?

Return of the King! Look forward to seeing if he can still hang with the upper-echelon once he brings his play back up to speed. He's been pretty inactive since the Venom nerfs in +R.

Kumubou

Outside of Montreal and maybe NYC, I'm having trouble imagining BBCF building back up sustainable scenes (at least out east). The players I've seen that transitioned to Xrd from other anime games don't seem to be doing so begrudgingly, and generally don't promote BB to newer GG converts. Xrd's design choices, release-quality and community output has been so comfortably stable that I'm just not seeing a window for BBCP to blow up competitively like CP did in 2014 — especially when the games are similar enough that I'm often encountering salt at tournaments from players confusing their system mechanics, resolving to only enter one or the other going forward.
The window would be created when ArcSys does what ArcSys does and announces a new version of Xrd that's arcade exclusive for another year. The US community kind of lucked out when Xrd:R had very few character changes from the original release, so most of what they were doing in the older version (and most of the videos from Japanese players) was still valid.

That's assuming that they don't end up releasing a new version of BB for arcades between now and then, as well. :x There is one other possibility: if there is a new version of Xrd that dicks over players outside of Japan and the new BB doesn't catch on, then there's just no big anime game played competitively at that scale and it's back to how things were in 2010 or so.

ShinMaruku

They can keep Smash 4 they seem sane, the Melee people with all the requirements could end up being a burden. I say if Smash 4 out ranks them by 400-1000 you can boot em out give more space to the smash 4 people and Pokken. That way you keep a healthy scene and keep Nintendo happy.

pixelish

poongko going ham on twitter right now. i think he's annoyed by everyone who messaged him to try out urien even though urien and seth do not play similarly at all.

Secret/Angry PoongKo ‏@efpoongko 8m
Listen I hate character Ibuki and urine
Reason?Ibuki sucks image to many old time hate
urine This is not a Seth
Future Plans just not play

Secret/Angry PoongKo ‏@efpoongko 2m
Sounds stupid Too many Angry NOW!!!!

Secret/Angry PoongKo ‏@efpoongko 25s
But SFV loading Too long This Is number TOP ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secret/Angry PoongKo ‏@efpoongko 8m
I like Fighting Game SFV USF4 TK7FR KOF11 CVS2 That's my style

ShinMaruku

Why would people even do that. Then again I'm the person who would rather sell sf4 than learn Ryu....

Let the man discover who he wants to play.

They can keep Smash 4 they seem sane, the Melee people with all the requirements could end up being a burden. I say if Smash 4 out ranks them by 400-1000 you can boot em out give more space to the smash 4 people and Pokken. That way you keep a healthy scene and keep Nintendo happy.

No way in hell is EVO(or CEO) getting rid of Melee. They generate way too much money for the event. And no way in hell will Melee go away either. Even if the FGC won't give them what they want they'll just deal with it because they're not going to miss out on being apart of the biggest stage of the year. Besides, if they left than Smash 4 would have all the glory and I bet they wouldn't want that lol.

kirblar

Yeah, I wouldn't put in the effort.

Is there another good budget stick option besides the Qanba Drone? The Hori FC4 just isn't working for me and I don't see a Saturn pad PS4 alternative atm.

Line_HTX

My scene went from Blazblue, UNiEL, Ultimax, Blitzkamf to JUST Xrd overnight. It sucks ass.

You know, I thought it was pretty interesting that a lot of the SF people like UltraChen, PRRog, and Arturo were so into UNiEL for a while.

Yes, Revelator is king at the moment, but I wonder if UNi[super turbo] will get more play from SF people than before.

Anne

You know, I thought it was pretty interesting that a lot of the SF people like UltraChen, PRRog, and Arturo were so into UNiEL for a while.

Yes, Revelator is king at the moment, but I wonder if UNi[super turbo] will get more play from SF people than before.

Those people liked Uni but outside of Art nobody actually played it.

No way in hell is EVO(or CEO) getting rid of Melee. They generate way too much money for the event. And no way in hell will Melee go away either. Even if the FGC won't give them what they want they'll just deal with it because they're not going to miss out on being apart of the biggest stage of the year. Besides, if they left than Smash 4 would have all the glory and I bet they wouldn't want that lol.
This, Melee won't walk away unless Smash 4 does too.

Also lol at the idea that Smash 4's top players act better, last Evo a bunch of top players were tweeting about how customs made the tournament illegitimate. (and on top of Bo5, they also push 3 stock)

UNIEL is much more of a game akin to SF, in how the game is paced, so I can understand the SF crowd liking UNIEL. I remember a joke post from Dustloop saying something to the effect of "new players are sort of struggling because anime players don't know footsies", and UNIEL has a pretty grounded footsies game, to my knowledge. UNIEL is the one game where I actually got matched up with known FGC folks while playing online. I played Hellpockets, Honzo Gonzo and Wolfkrone during the first couple weeks.

Yeah, this character makes a billion times more sense for him.

I like that as we're getting more and more characters people are finding their niches again.

He's playing a good character designed to be about setups instead of forcing a bad character designed to be about zoning as a setup character. Ibuki is strong.

Personally I've found my own new character that fits my niche.

nash

Vega is my favorite character, but he just doesn't fit my midrange evasive poke style in this game like he did in 4(where I didn't play him seriously because I had trouble with 1f jab links). I swapped to ryu after the game hit because I recognized him as the best character earlier than most and the puzzle solving aspect was exciting, but my new character really fits what I want from the game.

Sayad

"Is Urien's Critical Art the most significant event in videogames history?"
Mz6vLUQ.gif

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209037862]I wouldn't be surprised if Urien was the next character over Juri. Juri seems to still need work and Urien is basically a straight port from 3s.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Urien seems more complete than Juri. Her effects need coloring, and a lot of the properties on her moves don't seem final--at least I hope they aren't final.

Her charge mechanic really doesn't make much sense when only one of them is a fireball.

That I don't mind. I like how her fireball kick auto stores, and using it again gives you a different move; folks even say you can chain all three strengths of the fireball kick during a combo, sort of like a rekka, in order to get all your charges. Though, currently it seems that both the MK(jaguar kick) and the HK(spin kick) are unsafe on block, which I'm not jiving with. Like I said earlier, her move properties are probably not final.

She seems to be less of a "zoner", and more of a straight footsies/rushdown, as opposed to her jack of all trades/master of none thing she had going in SF4.

Her charge mechanic really doesn't make much sense when only one of them is a fireball.

In Omega Mode she got the fireballs and the new specials as overlapping commands with her charges. Negative edge would release a fireball whereas negative edge with forward held would be a new special.

Her framedata right now needs a lot of work. Her new charge specials are super unsafe for something that needs setting up.

Is st announced for a home release yet?

If the Meele community is willing to support the game at events like CEO and Evo, then they'll keep running the game. However, if it turns out that things like having doubles for every Smash game, 3/5 the whole way through and private "hand-warming" stations are so important that they won't go to these events, then they can kick rocks. There's only so much time and space to go around.

....Did you just repeat yourself?

Skab

Agreed, Urien seems more complete than Juri. Her effects need coloring, and a lot of the properties on her moves don't seem final--at least I hope they aren't final.

I keep seeing people say this. Why do we think her specials are not just black/purple colored now? She's got a lot of black/purple in her color scheme now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom