• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Flux > Marn

Marn with this vietnamese beat tho
K9aGR4X.gif

it's gradually rewarding people for learning the game. evade 5 attacks, escape 8 throws, ring your opponent out. that was over 13 years ago. overstated? we should be doing better by now, and we're not.

Yeah. I agree. For the time it was great but I think people cling to it a bit these days. I also think Arc does a generally great job wit tutorials. I think the text overload is one of the main things that dates it. A lot fighting game tutorials have more telling than showing.

Zissou

it's gradually rewarding people for learning the game. evade 5 attacks, escape 8 throws, ring your opponent out. that was over 13 years ago. overstated? we should be doing better by now, and we're not.

Ideally people don't even know that they're playing a tutorial.

K.Sabot

After playing XRD Revelator for so long and coming back to SFV for the July update, I can REALLY feel those 8 frames now.

ShinMaruku

I'm convinced more than ever that we need Blizzard to make a fighting game.

If Blizzard made a fg they'd make a sp mode that had you capable of doing only a few moves a level and would teach you the use of those moves. We're talking just normals, no specials. Then eventually you'd move on to specials, space, corner carry, pressure, turns, reversals, anti-airs, supers.

I am convinced that if Blizzard made a fg it would demolish previous ways fg sp modes are played while still providing a trashy story that the people crave.

Blizzard hates emergent gameplay and would change the game at a pace that would make NRS look slow.

That said just because Blizzard is good in their wheelhouse is no indication that they'd make a good fighting game.

Likewise Riot the company that had this social engneering cult like behavior? Please people they'd make terrible fighting games and thank god Blizzard is not trying to make a fighting game.

The fights should be paced with other mini-game/diversions that help you get better at the game. Sort of like those GGXrd mini-games in their training mode. You are put in various fighting game situations like you have 1 HP left and you need to dodge fireballs for 10 seconds. Or survive 20 seconds while you have your inputs flipped and reversed. Point is that these mini-games should teach you some more intricate aspect of the game that is hard to learn by yourself in a regular match. And please no god damn QTE mini-games, that stuff is really really lame.

Injustice did this.

kirblar

Was completely unsurprised to learn the post-launch DLC models wer done by a (new to SFV) studio in Malaysia that (gasp) actually had women working there.

Line_HTX

I found the listing for EVO on ESPN2. They'll be airing the tournament from 9pm-12am CST. The interesting part is that they mentioned Mortal Kombat XL & Tekken 7: Fated Retribution in addition to Street Fighter V.

jTn8k9a.png

I checked EVO's website & they don't have a schedule up, yet. Perhaps this huge timeslot is just in case Melee runs late.

Whaaat? But I thought Fated Retribution ends on Friday.

Oh man, a 3 hour block? This is going to be one hell of a Top 8, lol

Yay, Central Time.

pixelish

Was completely unsurprised to learn the post-launch DLC models wer done by a (new to SFV) studio in Malaysia that (gasp) actually had women working there.

where did you get the news from? i know a malaysian studio (maybe the same one?) did some of the sfv stages like kanzuki estate. i'm very surprised we have such a huge involvement in the game's development.

kirblar

where did you get the news from? i know a malaysian studio (maybe the same one?) did some of the sfv stages like kanzuki estate. i'm very surprised we have such a huge involvement in the game's development.
Got linked on twitter to an article about them a few days ago-we're definitely talking about the same place.

Neoxon

Whaaat? But I thought Fated Retribution ends on Friday.

Oh man, a 3 hour block? This is going to be one hell of a Top 8, lol

Yay, Central Time.
I feel like they're gonna recap some of the other games (MKXL & Tekken 7 for sure since they're mentioned in the listing, alongside maybe some clips from Smash 4 & Pokkén) prior to SFV's Top 8.

Neoxon

Its just mentioning the games at EVO, not which games they're airing.
But (delays aside) will Street Fighter V really take up 3 hours for Top 8? I mean, I could see it starting at around 9, but I'm not sure if it'll go on for that long.

pixelish

But (delays aside) will Street Fighter V really take up 3 hours for Top 8? I mean, I could see it starting at around 9, but I'm not sure if it'll go on for that long.

i don't think espn will be showing evo live per se. maybe in the first 30 minutes or so, espn and twitch will be in sync with each other but the former will eventually have an ad break now and then during the broadcast which will cause them to take more time to finish the broadcast than the twitch stream.

Unf. Feels so good playing SF after work again. Ended up playing for hours and now it's 3 am. My body gonna be mad at me for this tomorrow lol. In other news, I now have confidence in my Laura. I took a break from ranked about two weeks into SFV. It's time to go back to ranked. My goal is for silver this week.

There's a umvc3 tournament on eg_jwong's stream with the top so cal and nor cal players. Filipino Champ bet on Apology Man to beat Paradigm so of course Paradigm is up 2-0 right now.

petghost

Banned
How do you get good at combos like this? Is there a good guide on finding out how to do optimal combos? I find that I'm pretty bad at combos. Up until now I've never found them that important but now I'm working on maximizing damage. Any suggestions? Feels like some can come up with combos with ease.

The stuff in that video is not really a combo... It's a series of really dirty resets.

Hope to see some nasty shit at evo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom