• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

"only trophy i have ever won" floe 2016

UeYkYfq.png

the first round he had Mike and it looked like he was the Chosen One. Then he misses like every combo, never AAs, mashes jab, and punishes Mike with throw for the last two rounds and fails us all.

mbpm1

the first round he had Mike and it looked like he was the Chosen One. Then he misses like every combo, never AAs, mashes jab, and punishes Mike with throw for the last two rounds and fails us all.

This sounds like the last time I played Yams like two months ago lol

It almost put me on tilt with him bc I knew he could do better

notworksafe

For those that were wondering, Wizard said the Bang the Machine showing is gonna be Saturday afternoon. Again, I really suggest going if you haven't seen it before. It's a classic!

Tripon

Ultrachen will have a live show in Las Vegas next Thursday as a preview show for EVO.

Edit: $10 for this panel? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Saw the commercial for EVO on Espn.
So TV or stream?

I'm going to have both of them on. I hope everybody does the same to support EVO as much as possible.

BTW, I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/SRKRanking/status/750310586651648000

Apparently their are 9589 unique players. But the numbers for each game don't match up with the numbers Wiz released last week. Apparently SFV has 5099 instead of 5065 and Pokken has 888 instead of 1165 for example. Still it's very cool to check out the site to see some of the stats like being able to see all the players from each country.

Wow, modders already have Decapre, all dolls, all Shadaloo soldiers, and the DLC characters on playable status on PC.

This is why we can't have nice things.

It seems that what had happened was that some pools were missing or something like that.

EDIT: Yep they did indeed not have a lot of that game's pools uploaded. Guessing that site used those for the stats.

That would explain some of the games that have less. But it's still kind of strange for others that have more than what Wiz tweeted a week ago. Maybe Wiz was a little off and the higher numbers are official? I mean the database says so and has a head count for every registered player. We'll see if it changes in the next week and half though.

Other interesting stats include how many dedicated players each game has and how many players playing a certain game also entered others. Melee has the most dedicated players with nearly two-thirds of their players only playing Melee. SFV and Smash 4 are close to half each with every other game having less than a third only playing their respective game.

Owensboro

Well, we're basically a week out from Evo (!!!!) so it's probably a good time to post this question:

Anyone got a good sort of "Survival Guide" for a first time (only time) Evo attendee? Or really just any general advice?

This will be my first (and realistically, probably only time) going to this event and I'm kind of at a loss of what to actually do when I get there. I've never been to any other FG tourney so I really have no idea what a normal day is going to be like. Do people normally spend their entire day just sitting in chairs and watching? On that note, can you hear the commentators while watching from the audience? I'm still not 100% clear on every game being played (I have no idea how Pokken works, for instance) and would be totally lost while watching something like that with no announcer explaining anything. I'm absolutely 1000% piss poor at playing these things, so playing a bunch of casuals is probably out. And I know the tourney's in Vegas...but I've been to Vegas plenty of times and that's not really the point of going to Evo.

I figure this is going to be my only real chance to ever attend this thing and don't want to miss something everyone else would consider a "Must See". At this point the only thing I know 100% I'm doing is 1) Attending Fri-Sat-Sun and 2) going to try and see "Bang the Machine" for it's 90's glory. What would be y'alls must-do list? See a random hilarious game (Dong Dong Never Die, Jackie Chan Fist of Fury)? Get into a Money Match room somehow to see the sets? Stay after hours in the main rooms to catch random stuff (Floe playing 'I wanna be the guy' was a few years ago, right?)?

And does FGCGAF meet up during these things?

Well, we're basically a week out from Evo (!!!!) so it's probably a good time to post this question:

Anyone got a good sort of "Survival Guide" for a first time (only time) Evo attendee? Or really just any general advice?

This will be my first (and realistically, probably only time) going to this event and I'm kind of at a loss of what to actually do when I get there. I've never been to any other FG tourney so I really have no idea what a normal day is going to be like. Do people normally spend their entire day just sitting in chairs and watching? On that note, can you hear the commentators while watching from the audience? I'm still not 100% clear on every game being played (I have no idea how Pokken works, for instance) and would be totally lost while watching something like that with no announcer explaining anything. I'm absolutely 1000% piss poor at playing these things, so playing a bunch of casuals is probably out. And I know the tourney's in Vegas...but I've been to Vegas plenty of times and that's not really the point of going to Evo.

I figure this is going to be my only real chance to ever attend this thing and don't want to miss something everyone else would consider a "Must See". At this point the only thing I know 100% I'm doing is 1) Attending Fri-Sat-Sun and 2) going to try and see "Bang the Machine" for it's 90's glory. What would be y'alls must-do list? See a random hilarious game (Dong Dong Never Die, Jackie Chan Fist of Fury)? Get into a Money Match room somehow to see the sets? Stay after hours in the main rooms to catch random stuff (Floe playing 'I wanna be the guy' was a few years ago, right?)?

Play your pools, play casuals, visit vegas, play casuals, watch some fights, play casuals

For those going Vegas let me leave a suggestion
Border Grill Brunch (Inside caeser's palace. There is another but not sure where) $35-45 All you can eat small plates, add all you can drink Mimosas. This is fantastic and I highly recommend it

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
play casuals!!

my first match at SEGA Cup 2013 was on stream and i hadn't warmed up at all... not a good look :p

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Enjoy Vegas. Make a proper vacation out of it.

EVO actually isn't the best major tournament to attend if you're just going for the fighting game side of things. Too massive, too busy, too crowded.

play casuals!!

my first match at SEGA Cup 2013 was on stream and i hadn't warmed up at all... not a good look :p

My prep for VF at EVO 2012 involved watching a 2-hour how-to-play video by LA Akira, 30 minutes of combo practice, then not touching the game at all during the month between then and EVO.

My first match was on stream. It basically consisted of me flailing around while trying to remember the half dozen moves that I learned how to use before, getting my teeth kicked in on the first game, and then winning the set off of the one gimmicky back-turn setup I practiced and finally remembered. :p

Owensboro

I'm worried playing casuals would be an awful option due to my innate ability to suck at all fighting games. But hey, as long as someone is willing to play someone awful I'll give it a go. Might be a good time to learn some stuff and try to get better or something.

My prep for VF at EVO 2012 involved watching a 2-hour how-to-play video by LA Akira, 30 minutes of combo practice, then not touching the game at all during the month between then and EVO.

My first match was on stream. It basically consisted of me flailing around while trying to remember the half dozen moves that I learned how to use before, getting my teeth kicked in on the first game, and then winning the set off of the one gimmicky back-turn setup I practiced and finally remembered. :p

Hah, I remember reading that story from you before. It's still hilarious.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm worried playing casuals would be an awful option due to my innate ability to suck at all fighting games. But hey, as long as someone is willing to play someone awful I'll give it a go. Might be a good time to learn some stuff and try to get better or something.

25% of the players who attend any double elimination tournament are going to go 0-2.

You're in good company.

oneida

Enjoy Vegas. Make a proper vacation out of it.

EVO actually isn't the best major tournament to attend if you're just going for the fighting game side of things. Too massive, too busy, too crowded.

nice! wish i played your opponent instead of this guy who's been in the community for ice ages. what character were you using?

This will be my second year at Evo. We have a lot of folks who go so we're mostly just hanging out all the time - there's not a specific "meet up". We exchange cell numbers, twitter handles, etc and then just hit someone up if you're bored or having something cool going on (Catherine tournament!)

I'll be flying in on Wednesday. Want to do Red Rock on Thursday morning, then check-in and get my badge later that day.

PM me when you get in and we can hang out.

--

Thanks for that tip, ShadowSoldier89. I'll add it to my list. I bought a 3-day pass on the LV monorail so I want to get as much use out of it as I can. Figure I'll be doing a lot of shuttling from Westgate/CC to the strip proper.

oneida

I'm worried playing casuals would be an awful option due to my innate ability to suck at all fighting games.
with casuals, the outcome only matters in your capacity to learn from it. win or lose, doesn't matter, just learn. no one innately sucks at fighting games. rather, everyone is inherently bad at something they haven't learned how to do.

play casuals

This will be my second year at Evo. We have a lot of folks who go so we're mostly just hanging out all the time - there's not a specific "meet up". We exchange cell numbers, twitter handles, etc and then just hit someone up if you're bored or having something cool going on (Catherine tournament!)

I'll be flying in on Wednesday. Want to do Red Rock on Thursday morning, then check-in and get my badge later that day.

PM me when you get in and we can hang out.

--

Thanks for that tip, ShadowSoldier89. I'll add it to my list. I bought a 3-day pass on the LV monorail so I want to get as much use out of it as I can. Figure I'll be doing a lot of shuttling from Westgate/CC to the strip proper.
I just googled, apparently their other location...is in mandalay bay

Seriously check out this menu. They let you order 2 plates at once, and then jsut keep em coming
http://www.bordergrill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/BGLV-FS-Border-Brunch-0715.pdf

Kumubou

I used to have a huge problem with this, and the advice I've been given from multiple top players (in both English and Japanese) is to not worry about it. Basically, most players enjoy playing the game (we haven't gone full e-sports yet) and the vast majority of them want to play a lot of different people too. That and if they really do want to play someone else (and that's not something you should take offense to, even if they are blowing you out), they will let you know. That and you'll probably be poked off the setup by other people wanting to play far before that happens. :p
nice! wish i played your opponent instead of this guy who's been in the community for ice ages. what character were you using?
I still remember my first match from the Evo 2012 VF5:FS tournament... mainly because it was against Jebailey, I had him pegged as a super scrubby Lion, my read was absolutely right and I still managed to get hit by Lion's 2KK less than a second into the match. -_-

I was actually training and playing online a bunch for this tournament and was hoping to get out of my pool, but I managed to end up having Kissa (who was one of Japan's top Shun players) and GentlemenThief (generally considered to be America's best VF player) in my pool, so that was... uh, highly unlikely. :X

I just googled, apparently their other location...is in mandalay bay

Seriously check out this menu. They let you order 2 plates at once, and then jsut keep em coming
http://www.bordergrill.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/BGLV-FS-Border-Brunch-0715.pdf
Oh man, this place looks good. And GAF's suggestions for food in Vegas have almost never gone wrong, so I guess I know what I'm doing before Xrd finals.

notworksafe

Might as well repost my Vegas food suggestions post since folks are asking about stuff to do/eat. These are some of my favorite spots:

Bacchanal is really damn good. One of the few buffets that I can say is worth the price. You won't regret it.

For some other suggestions...I'm not really much of a breakfast guy but Mon Ami Gabi at Paris was really awesome. Very good and creative breakfast food, excellent staff, and a really fantastic atmosphere. Definitely ask to sit outside.

For dinners a couple of my favorites:

Hash House A Go Go (Linc) - A fun spin on soul food and has preposterous portions but still well priced. If you like boozey fruit drinks they are good with those too. I recommend the Chicken and Waffles or the Pot Pie, both super good.

Lotus of Siam (Off Strip) - Legitimately the best thai food I've ever eaten. You'll need to take an Uber there but it is so worth it if you like Asian food. You'll need a reservation for sure, I'd call a couple weeks to a month in advance.

Ramsay Steak (Paris) - Very expensive but goddamn is it good. They have a seasonal 5 course meal and that's usually the way to go. It's always something good every time I've been. Another place you'll need a reservation a few weeks in advance if not more.

Cleo (SLS) - Very close to Westgate (ride the monorail away from the Strip, it's the beginning of the line) and really fantastic Mediterranean food. The grilled octopus is out of control. Not terribly expensive but you can rack up a bill if you add in wine.

For some casual, quick stop places I recommend Secret Pizza at the Cosmopolitan, Earl of Sandwich at the Planet Hollywood (get the All American if they have it or the Holiday Turkey if they don't), and Shake Shack at the New York, New York (best cheeseburger I've ever had).

If you go to Downtown Vegas, which I recommend, maybe check out Heart Attack Grill. The place is hilarious. They fry all their food in lard, go super over the top with their menu and advertising (the waitresses dress like nurses) and even sell stuff like 40s and packs of cigs. The food is pretty damn good too but I'd get a small size of everything.

NEO0MJ

The idea that you need to reserve weeks in advance is still crazy to me. Guess that's the result of living in an area with a low number of high-class restaurants without much tourism.

Might as well repost my Vegas food suggestions post since folks are asking about stuff to do/eat. These are some of my favorite spots:
I remember this conversation, always a fun one.

Bacchanal was pretty awesome, $65 or so for the buffet and crazy variety, most of which is good.

Another good steak option if you feel like traveling a little is Vic and Anthony's over in the Golden Nugget in old vegas. One of the best steaks i've ever had. Cost me around $75 for the meal though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom