• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

If you think you can judge a product's final quality by a pre alpha anything reveal your delusional. Let them be. We can judge the product for what it manages to achieve only once its much MUCH further along. At this point you can't really judge a thing. Hell it doesn't even have any displacement mapping yet on the model. Its just the pre-alpha base texture maps and as I've stated before you don't go too deep this early in because lighting and shader settings in engine can change forcing you to have to revise many maps if you produce too many too early.

jbug617

Banned
Pics from the new Next Level via Art. I believe Henry said they got 2 floors and a backyard
CmtwCjFWcAAX3VD.jpg

CmtwClqWgAUncX3.jpg

CmtwCsyXEAAmj_E.jpg

http://atlus.com/king-fighters-xiv-heading-las-vegas-evo-2016/

Atlus is doing a KoF14 tourney at EVO. Free entry.

Oh damn, good shit to Atlus. This is probably the final build before release in August, right?

Not sure. Japan Expo this weekend still has the 36 character build. I think SNK has mentioned a 48 character everyone-but-the-bosses build but unsure where and when that'd be available. Or maybe that was fan conjecture to begin with...

I'd love to see some Mian play for sure.

xezuru

Evo 2016 is closing in, calm before the storm. Rooting for the real heroes.
Melee: Mang0 MvC3: Clockw0rk SFV: Daigo/Tokido

Wish I knew someone to follow for Xrd, cause I love that game but it's hard to track it especially under all the
weeeeeeeeeeeb
international competition.

Evo 2016 is closing in, calm before the storm. Rooting for the real heroes.
Melee: Mang0 MvC3: Clockw0rk SFV: Daigo/Tokido

Wish I knew someone to follow for Xrd, cause I love that game but it's hard to track it especially under all the
weeeeeeeeeeeb
international competition.
Root for Ogawa or Kaz in Xrd IMO.

In Melee, root for Hungrybox. He's the only time I'm willing to watch that game.

Tripon

America getting 1/8 spots in top 8 for SFV is not an accomplishment guys.

This might be the first evo where no Americans win a tournament. You better hope SonicFox is his usual self for MKX.

They can compete with the top JP players.

Just not the top top JP players.
Yeah right now there are tiers

S tier: Infil, Tokido, Momochi, Fuudo, Haitani, Mago,

A tier: Xiaohai, Kazunoko, Daigo, Justin, Phenom (maybe S, but need to see more), etc...

B tier: most americans, japanese, and european top players

Right now S Tier are almost guaranteed to make top 8 at premier while also having the potential to win a premier calibur tournament. They can also be expected to beat each other with maybe one exception.

A tier can beat S tier occassionaly, but have 2 or more demons in S tier.

Oh damn, good shit to Atlus. This is probably the final build before release in August, right?

The Atlus webpage says, quote: "In fact, we’ll have the latest build just for the show!"

So...maybe it's a 50 character build? I hope so, because I'm itching for more details on some of the newer characters.

notworksafe

America getting 1/8 spots in top 8 for SFV is not an accomplishment guys.

This might be the first evo where no Americans win a tournament. You better hope SonicFox is his usual self for MKX.
MKX and KI are a lock. USA will win the same number of tournies as Chile.

shaowebb

http://atlus.com/king-fighters-xiv-heading-las-vegas-evo-2016/

Atlus is doing a KoF14 tourney at EVO. Free entry.

Not sure. Japan Expo this weekend still has the 36 character build. I think SNK has mentioned a 48 character everyone-but-the-bosses build but unsure where and when that'd be available. Or maybe that was fan conjecture to begin with...

I'd love to see some Mian play for sure.

KOF 14 at EVO? Oh yes indeedy I need to see this. Hope its streamed. Here's hoping MadKOF shows up for this thing. This game is already a damned large one in roster and its not even done yet. Should be a good showing.

Nuu

Banned
They can compete with the top JP players.

Just not the top top JP players.

So they can compete against the top 20 or even top 10. But they can't compete against the top 5?

No. Western players can beat the Asian players, but western players usually have no chance to win the big tournaments that have like 10 or so Asian players. That is why it was a big deal that Luffy, and now Phenom won.

So things may be changing?

EDIT - What's Phenom's ethnicity? I looked him up on online and he's from Norway but he doesn't look white.

MKX is not a lock for America. Sonic is the favorite but he doesn't always win. Foxy from the UK is probably the second most likely to win. Hayate from Canada has a great chance to place top 8 and it's not inconceivable he wins the whole thing.

So they can compete against the top 20 or even top 10. But they can't compete against the top 5?

So things may be changing?
That remains to be seen. Luffy's win was two years ago. So that is a huge gap between wins. Last year only two western players made grand finals in the stacked events. And luffy's gf appearance didn't have most of the top 10 players.

Nuu

Banned
That remains to be seen. Luffy's win was two years ago. So that is a huge gap between wins. Last year only two western players made grand finals in the stacked events. And luffy's gf appearance didn't have most of the top 10 players.

Why is Japan's top 10 so dominate? Do they always play against one another or what?

MKX is not a lock for America. Sonic is the favorite but he doesn't always win. Foxy from the UK is probably the second most likely to win. Hayate from Canada has a great chance to place top 8 and it's not inconceivable he wins the whole thing.

Sonic was PISSED when he lost MKX at ComboBreaker, especially during the auction match.

mbpm1

Why is Japan's top 10 so dominate? Do they always play against one another or what?

For the most part, literally 10+ years of experience + the strongest scene in the world + the fact that they never really stopped improving + love of the game + the ideal mindset to learn and practice + general life maturity.

Tripon

Nuu, why don't you watch some matches between high level Asian players and high level US players and see what differences you see.

shaowebb

Heh. Had a little bit of fun just now. Decided I'd play around in Arcana Heart 3 Love Max and see what a top tier setup felt like as opposed to my normal Dorothy + Earth setup.

You would not believe how easy Scharlachrot + Plant is to use

All the stuff in that vid is like Heavy attacks + things with the Arcana button. I've played Scharl with Fenrir before for the Cannon lasers and unblockable stuff since it felt powerful as the final fight to face it, but with Plant its just free. You don't have to worry about spacing and setups with the gears placing she normally does. Normally you place a gear, connect your chain and send a bomb to the gear to blow it up for mixups and oki and try to space folks to neutral or full screen with her long range normals. She's high damage, has huge hitboxes, lots of crossups, and hard to clash attacks with, but required good DP input skills and good timing to use her bombs properly.

With Plant you just rock heavy attacks after extend force and throw in your wallsplat into plant grab over and over and those last two use the same button so you can essentially just input quarter circles and damned near double tap the last input to loop it. 2/3rd health to full character kills for free.

I see why this gal had to be nerfed for Six Stars. With damage and loops like this you need to be able to clash her shit otherwise those moves take up too much room and lead to too much damage not to contest it. So far the only answer to Scharl I ever have is to overwhelm her shit with pressure and oki setups.

EDIT:
Oh man...just tried to figure out a vortex. You place two gears, but its hard to setup the knockdown between them properly. I need to use a back throw but if I do it right I cant use a normal throw and will need to spend a bar for her grab super to put them down but then I'm too far out to link her chain and detonate a gear before they get up. If I can figure out the spacing you got a one in three guess of block left, right, or overhead. They can see which gear I choose but since I can cancel into a zipline at them I can go for any number of crossups or overheads if I place the chain above or behind them. The gear directly overhead is especially hard to read because I have hitboxes and supers that cover both left and right as well as moves that go straight down or clean across them as air normals.

Definitely a fun setup character the more I poke around in the lab and in vs. Slower than Dorothy but really neat and strong with good range. Like a loop abusing grappler oki character as opposed to a pressure mixup character. Her movement is tricky though. So much DP.

.la1n

KI isn't a lock either, there are quite a few Japanese players in the bracket and some of them could easily stand toe to toe with the best USA player.

Nuu

Banned
Nuu, why don't you watch some matches between high level Asian players and high level US players and see what differences you see.

I'm not that "advanced" in Street Fighter to notice differences.

For the most part, literally 10+ years of experience + the strongest scene in the world + the fact that they never really stopped improving + love of the game + the ideal mindset to learn and practice + general life maturity.

I see. That's the interesting thing about fighting games. The older you get, the better you get. Assuming you keep practicing.

KI isn't a lock either, there are quite a few Japanese players in the bracket and some of them could easily stand toe to toe with the best USA player.

They need to pull a Skullgirls and start a fundraiser to fly all of these players from around the world to the game's main tournament.

CurlyW

ZeRo is anything but a lock to win Smash 4. Since he returned to competition in May, here are his results:

2nd at GOML (lost to M2K in Winners Quarters and Ally in GF)
2nd at 2GGT: Mexico Sage (lost to Larry Lurr twice in GF)
2nd at Smash'N'Splash 2 (lost to Ally twice in GF)
1st at Low Tier City 4 (Nairo and Hyuga next-best players in attendance)
9th at CEO (lost to Prince Ramen in pools and Larry Lurr before Top 8)
3rd at WTFox 2 (lost to Dabuz in WF and Mr. R in LF)

Theoretically you should be better at fighters when you're younger but in practice it's not happening. I'm curious what will happen when the top guys of today are like 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom