• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that this year, EVO changed up their bracket system a bit and added in the byes before Semifinals instead of before the Round 2 pools. As a result, for Melee this year, Round 2 pools end with 38 people left instead of 32, which means that some people advancing out of Round 2 have to play 1-2 extra matches in order to actually make semifinals (Top 32). In previous years, those extra matched would be after Round 1 pools, at the start of Round 2 pools. There is no reason that EVO couldn't have done the same thing this year, and ran 16 R2 pools with 18-19 players each instead of what they are doing (19 R2 pools with 15-16 players each).

Additionally, this extra "quarterfinal" has severely altered the Melee Top 32 bracket, as the bracket is set up in such a way that there will be many double-jeopardy situations when they should've been easily avoidable. Melee, and to a lesser extent Smash 4, are the only games affected by this. I don't blame them for being mad about it.

who cares, it's melee

AAK

Isn't that unblockable high? I think the other player just didn't know or he thought he was out of the way

You're right, my bad. Then that one is just a gimmick since it could have been avoided by continuing to duck after the tech roll.

But it's still "kind of a setup" where it employs the unblockable attack in a much more viable way than in any other situation.

Joule

GG:
Ogawa
Dogura
Kazunoko
FAB
Nage
JONIO
Koichi
Rion
Hasegawa

Adding to that there's a list of all the jp and some other international players that are going:
http://bit.ly/29WxDNN

The standouts other than the already mentioned I think would be:

Machaboo ,Omito, Samitto, Kedako, Nakamura, Kabegiwa no DC, Sabamiso, PurePure, Consomme, NOB, Shimonkin, Daru, 310, Svampen

But really that whole list has strong players.

----

On the NA side, I think unfortunately Zidane isn't going this year. Lost Soul is supposed to go but things may have happened to his ride there.

Off the top of my head I think the following are confirmed:

Kid Viper, MarlinPie, doren2k, faultydefense, NerdJosh, GCYoshi, Lord Knight

There was a googledoc last year with a lot of the notables last year for NA but haven't seen one maintained this time around.

Joule

Speaking of Xrd players at Evo, Jonio is streaming the Mikado Open (where quite a few of those listed jp players play). It's a double elimination singles tournament and likely the last bit of tournament practice before these players head to Evo. Should be a bit of a preview to what might come next weekend.

Currently it's streaming casuals but the tournament should start in not too long.

https://www.twitch.tv/joniosan

shaowebb

Hmmmm...now that Umineko when they cry is out on PC on steam in english I wonder if the fighting game Ougon Musou Kyoku Cross will come out too since its had a translation patch for awhile now. An english patch the creator said he'd let them have if they wanted to bring the game over I remember it being a pretty solid fighter with a following overseas.
VAle5AX.jpg

Quick combo vid
Vid of supers for an idea of the flashier stuff

It was a tag fighter on the 360 and it had an interesting tag mechanic called touch. Cost meter and stuff but if you tagged out there was instant health recovery which was neat. Took longer than tagging out in other games though. Touch button had other stuff you could do with it to do like SFxTekken style tags during stuff in a fight to get people in without resorting to raw tags.

It also had like an HD gauge sort of mode called metaworld that gave you free supers and buffs and shit, but you could cancel someone else's activation for meter. This was sort of like an xfactor activation that you could turn off on your opponent. Combos were kick ass during metaworld states though. Characters had hidden stat buffs that were character specific that'd activate too, but I can't remember how that shit worked and who had what except one had like triple stun damage or something which was insane.

Fingers crossed. It was a good fighting game and It'd be cool for it to come over. It was already on PC and fan patched long ago so I don't see why someone like Degica or someone wouldn't nab it.

EDIT: Oh wow...just looked up This ricedigital piece on that game and apparently you only filled super meter for your partner meaning you needed to tag out often to utilize the meter you earned. Thats pretty wild.

shaowebb

I only played the early version, but I do remember it being quite imbalanced back then.
Every other match was against a Lucifer or Kanon.

Ronove/Beato was fun to play as at least

I think that was before Cross came out. Did it have 19 fighters? I think the original was just 13.

LordJim

I think that was before Cross came out. Did it have 19 fighters? I think the original was just 13.

Yeah, the original, not cross.
When cross came out, I was busy playing Big Bang Beat Revolve.
Daigo is one of the most entertaining Jeet Kune Do inspired characters

Tripon

The problem is that this year, EVO changed up their bracket system a bit and added in the byes before Semifinals instead of before the Round 2 pools. As a result, for Melee this year, Round 2 pools end with 38 people left instead of 32, which means that some people advancing out of Round 2 have to play 1-2 extra matches in order to actually make semifinals (Top 32). In previous years, those extra matched would be after Round 1 pools, at the start of Round 2 pools. There is no reason that EVO couldn't have done the same thing this year, and ran 16 R2 pools with 18-19 players each instead of what they are doing (19 R2 pools with 15-16 players each).

Additionally, this extra "quarterfinal" has severely altered the Melee Top 32 bracket, as the bracket is set up in such a way that there will be many double-jeopardy situations when they should've been easily avoidable. Melee, and to a lesser extent Smash 4, are the only games affected by this. I don't blame them for being mad about it.

https://twitter.com/Pond3r/status/751786778072190976

They just fixed the double jeopardy situations.

@Harrisondorf1 @HugS86 @Mash61027405 @MrWiz @chroma_smash @scoper134 Glitch confirmed. Check updated brackets, pls. Feedback welcomed.

Pokemon Go. Is this meant for children or man-children?

Is this like Tele-tubbies where they programmed it for kids but stoners ended up watching it?

It's making people go outside for once and look like complete fools at least, lol

I saw a kid walking around with his phone out. Then I saw a nerd herd out the office with their phones out. A mom bored mom and their kids holding ipad minis pointing at a park bench.
Pokemon is weird. Feel like its a game that is meant for a certain age/time/place that is plugged into a mechanic used for joggers or those GPS tracker groups a decade ago in SF.

It's making people go outside for once and look like complete fools at least, lol
Definitely true. I was walking into Muay Thai this morning with a female gym member, I suddenly stop before the stairs to go up since a pidgey or whatever appears. I catch it and she awkwardly goes up the stairs first, although I was walking in front of her in the parking lot. She probably thought I wanted to check her out. :-/

I saw a kid walking around with his phone out. Then I saw a nerd herd out the office with their phones out. A mom bored mom and their kids holding ipad minis pointing at a park bench.
Pokemon is weird. Feel like its a game that is meant for a certain age/time/place that is plugged into a mechanic used for joggers or those GPS tracker groups a decade ago in SF.

The fact that it exists in multiple forms to this day should tell you otherwise. I've seen people I know aren't into pokemon now excited about GO

Its just a long lasting thing at this point.

Guess Pokemon is like Mickey Mouse now; kinda part of the cultural zeitgeist. Rather than be uses for less adventurous mediums, its used for an Ingress game where I saw engineers and my neighbors get really into.

Line_HTX

Not Mai Shiranui in BB, but Blazblue universe's Mai in BB.

Mai and Kajun are going to be playable?

Definitely true. I was walking into Muay Thai this morning with a female gym member, I suddenly stop before the stairs to go up since a pidgey or whatever appears. I catch it and she awkwardly goes up the stairs first, although I was walking in front of her in the parking lot. She probably thought I wanted to check her out. :-/

Yikes. The perils of trying to catch one with someone nearby.

Any love for Darkstalkers in here?

I fancy giving Darkstalkers Resurrection some time and I've been trying to find some guides and even character specific tutorials, but there seems to be very little. =/ Are there any resources out there?

jbug617

Banned
Evo Schedule is up. Kadey you might want to use this for the thread.
Also if you didn't know, they are not charging for Source quality. Subscriptions are for emotes and the money goes towards scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom