• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney ain't playing for small peanuts anymore, they canceled a game making hundreds of millions because it wasn't making billions. No way they'll even bother to license stuff to a third-tier company like Capcom in 2016, especially after SFV

Neoxon

Disney ain't playing for small peanuts anymore, they canceled a game making hundreds of millions because it wasn't making billions. No way they'll even bother to license stuff to a third-tier company like Capcom in 2016, especially after SFV
I mean, what other major option is there for fighting games besides Bandai Namco? Arc System Works maybe, but NRS seems to be locked down in the DC camp thanks to WB Games (Lego games w/ TT aside). There were rumors of Marvel reaching out to Team Ninja, but said talks supposedly fell through.

Also, DI was cancelled because they invested WAY too much into it (hiring multiple developers for certain aspects of the game).

I-hate-u

And yet they greenlit a Spiderman game exclusive to one system. Also, I am pretty sure they came out and said that the mobile and console games are from different divisions.

The MVC4 dream is not dead yet.

Neoxon

And yet they greenlit a Spiderman game exclusive to one system. Also, I am pretty sure they came out and said that the mobile and console games are from different divisions.

The MVC4 dream is not dead yet.
While you are correct about the separate console & mobile branches, they both still report to Ike Perlmutter. Also, Marvel is now being pretty selective about who handles their IPs. And while I could see Capcom USA pulling off the negotiations (as long as Combofiend is involved), I'm not sure if the Capcom Japan of today would show the passion that Marvel Games is now looking for. Not to mention Capcom probably not being willing to go along with the recent restrictions set by Marvel Entertainment's execs. And while some could argue that Capcom could fight back, this is the same company who censored the shit out of SFV (the most recent example being Cammy's nipples).

ShinMaruku

juri_sailor_by_gravelee-d6scfe4.gif

She's next.

Mai in doa
Time to go back to doa

You should have never left. Also this was in works for some time. :p

Nobody should be looking at Marvel right now.

Numb

http://orig00.deviantart.net/ddc2/f/2013/303/0/3/juri_sailor_by_gravelee-d6scfe4.gif[/IG]
She's next.

You should have never left. Also this was in works for some time. :P

Nobody should be looking at Marvel right now.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know at all so it was a surprise

shaowebb

vfKwHEB.gif

UPDATE!

Blade Arcus From Shining was the Sega made tag fighter starring Shining Force characters. Unfortunately its DLC was early buy only and it was gone...till now!

iBPXhqM.jpg

Here is the link to the DLC

The game is so-so, but its still fun and hey its got someone who fights with a giant popsicle for a sword named Melty so thats something right?

Here's Sonia in action
And here are the highlights of one of the Blade Arcus japan only tournaments

Anyhow the game has some good stuff and is worth the $10 or so I've seen it float for now that you can actually get the DLC that disappeared and complete the roster. Sadly though...still no online, but at least you can play the whole thing now locally.

Since this is I think at AnimEVO we should probably see if anyone has emailed Mr. Wizard or whoever is handling that stuff since its only been out like 2 days.

stn

I would be down for Jin in SFV, fireball orbs and all. I really liked what they did with him in SFxT, just wish he was a bit more execution friendly. And yes, Devil Jin V-trigger.

Rajang

And Geese in Tekken.
GR: If you had a chance not to worry about licenses, what other game characters (from other fighting games or otherwise) do you think would fit in the Tekken roster?

Harada: If it were a game character, let me think. I would ask for two—one from a fighting game, and one that is not.

I think from fighting games, it is definitely Akuma, and I think that it is a good choice, as you can tell from the overwhelmingly positive feedback. If I had to choose another, perhaps Geese Howard. I think a bad man like him would fit well in Tekken, and I am confident we can make him look pretty cool in TK7.

Game Revolution

Who knows..

shaowebb

even with my crazy community that loves to play random shit, I couldnt get anyone to fuck around with blade arcus

Yeah, thats what happens when you use 3d models for a 2d style and half ass the cel shader maps. Has a Battle Fantasia feel to its animations due to the look and honestly the lack of what looks like curve work on the animation timelines (for once I wont go into that one...lets just say it makes things snappier and more fluid and not so impactless).

Its me though. I play everything because I never stop studying and I love studying fighting game systems and metas that emerge as much as I love actually just sitting and playing. Honestly I still need to study that last Touhou Fighter that came out as the 14.5th touhou title. Last one I touched had the weather stuff in it.

So far the titles I've found the most neat new ideas for moves, movesets, or tools in the past 2 years have been.

• Arcana Heart 3 love max by far. Tons of unique meters per character and tons more unique Extend Force comeback tools and moves on Arcanas. You could build a ton of folks just off of half the unique shit I found in this game.)
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition. Its assist list has some really wild setups and tools hidden throughout it. Best thing I got from studying it.
  • Blaz Blue - Too many fucking useful concept ideas, character abiliites, and moves to count.

Those three were probably by far the most innovative and varied out of all the fighters I played. Notable Mention goes to the Persona Arena games though. I didn't see too much new stuff, but my god they had every system ever and it was fun to study. I think the status effects, mashable one button combos, and use of stands were pretty neat. I'm not putting any Nitroplus up there because frankly Arcana Heart had its clash stuff, and Dengeki did assists better. The game is fantastic but it seemed very similar to a lot of tools I've seen and I'm not listing best games, just mentioning the ones that had the MOST neat new things for me to study recently.

Kumubou

Since this is I think at AnimEVO we should probably see if anyone has emailed Mr. Wizard or whoever is handling that stuff since its only been out like 2 days.
Animevo is not run by anyone involved with Evolution officially and the two have no official ties. I just bring this up because you're about the 5436435643th person to make this mistake.

And yeah, even in the local community here where some people will play almost anything... they won't play Blarcus.

shaowebb

Animevo is not run by anyone involved with Evolution officially and the two have no official ties. I just bring this up because you're about the 5436435643th person to make this mistake.

And yeah, even in the local community here where some people will play almost anything... they won't play Blarcus.

I honestly put it in the same pile as Aquapazza. What shocks me everytime I see CEOtaku is that somehow Aquapazza still has players though. That negative emotion system is aaaaaaaaaass. Dug through its characters and its not like they were doing much original either to be honest. I still rank both above Phantom Breaker Extra though. Ten million clash/counter tools all put into the game in hopes of making it a DBZ crazy back and forth edge of your seat fighter thats super rushdown based and it only achieved the opposite...folks just run and zone because its better than facing the chaos lol.

Blarcus, Aquapazza, Phantom Breaker Extra are my bottom 3 anime fighters TBH. I still feel all are worth owning and playing though if the price is low enough. Definitely not worth $40+ though IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The biggest thing working against Capcom is that Disney isn't messing with developers that will do half the job that needs to be done, which Capcom has a reputation for. I think S-Kill even said it's just about finding the right team and time to work on such a thing, and that's also where Capcom seems to cheap out.

Infinity has been on a decline since it came out, the gameplay turned off people young and old and didn't retain the playerbase, it was bound to be cancelled inevitably.

CO_Andy

Remember when Sven did the impossible and got Tatsunoko greenlighted? A new Marvel isn't out of the question.

I just have to wonder if there's anyone at Cap who's willing to champion the cause. Guys like Ben Judd, Sven, and SKill were very vocal community managers at Capcom. These days we have Combofiend and Lord Haunts, and they're quiet as a mouse. Combo's a Marvel player, so i'm sure no wants a new MvC more than him.

Since MvC3 is still widely played, why wouldn't Marvel want a new game? It's free advertising since the game is at every tournament.

Neoxon

Remember when Sven did the impossible and got Tatsunoko greenlighted? A new Marvel isn't out of the question.

I just have to wonder if there's anyone at Cap who's willing to champion the cause. Guys like Ben Judd, Sven, and SKill were very vocal community managers at Capcom. These days we have Combofiend and Lord Haunts, and they're quiet as a mouse. Combo's a Marvel player, so i'm sure no wants a new MvC more than him.

Since MvC3 is still widely played, why wouldn't Marvel want a new game? It's free advertising since the game is at every tournament.
I feel like, given his history with the MvC games, that Combofiend would step up in terms of trying to make Marvel 4 happen. It won't be easy, but nothing worth doing is.

kirblar

I think MvC4 makes sense to a tuned-in Marvel/Disney crew for one reason: It's free marketing because the game will stick around forever.

Neoxon

Marvel said they wanted to do "epic" games. I don't think MvC is what they have in mind.
But that's just me.
Marvel acknowledged the demand for another MvC game. And the way Jay Ong worded his statement implied that they're open to another MvC game, even though it may not be in development right now.

I think MvC4 makes sense to a tuned-in Marvel/Disney crew for one reason: It's free marketing because the game will stick around forever.
This, especially if it's also aired on ESPN alongside SFV. It'd be free advertising for both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Games ends up paying attention to how SFV on ESPN pans out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even through the bitterness behind how MvC3/UMvC was handled, I still maintain, MvC4 is too strong of a brand and seller. Present Marvel licensing team knows, the old team was super enthusiastic about it, and it has a great recent sales record. It's about a no-brainer as it gets, especially with the proliferation of the MCU.

A modern licensing contract wouldn't have any of the stuff that made UMvC3 what it was, because those games in that contract were in the oven so long, and from a time when digital distribution was still in it's relative infancy. Capcom having the budget, being willing to take that financial risk, and dedicating enough resources/development time to it are equal parts the problem, but not insurmountable and wouldn't be surprised if the wheels are already in motion. I think we'll see an announcement by 2018, if it's not already one of Marvel's remaining games to announce this year.

Dahbomb

Kinda lame that the fate of MVC rests on the laurels of SFV. But that's the harsh reality. Though MVC4 is far more likely at this point than MVC3 was.. I legit thought I would never see MVC3 happen in my lifetime but here we are... 6th EVO appearance this year.

Speaking of SFV, this Asian tournament is a god damn mess. I said WOW.

Why is the game with the least amount of entrants at EVO the past two years the one with the prime time finals slot on Saturday? Seriously? Is the money hat THAT strong? I officially do not like Killer Instinct now.

kirblar

Why is the game with the least amount of entrants at EVO the past two years the one with the prime time finals slot on Saturday? Seriously? Is the money hat THAT strong? I officially do not like Killer Instinct now.
Because they released their game in the US and aren't Smash.

Killer Instinct Top 8 last year at EVO was pretty hype. Just wait, Tekken 7: FR will get shown on ESPN next year when it actually comes out for consoles.

CO_Andy

The only other realistic alternative to MvC4 is a Nintendo crossover. I imagine there would be a whole lot of bitterness from both sides.

I'd be up for it as long as it doesn't play like Smash.

Oh, and FUCK THIS GLeague grand finals. This is THE worst tournament i have ever watched.

Dahbomb

1) Money hats.
2) Game made by Keits so clout in the FGC.
3) Made in USA and actually supported well by developers.
4) Game in which America isn't free in.

Smash 4 got the shaft because MrWiz and co. underestimate its support and rise as compared to Melee. They expected that the fanbase would gravitate more towards to Melee and Smash 4 might get the Brawl treatment. Instead game got heavily supported by developer and the community in the year with more entrants at EVO than Melee. It should've gotten that Sunday spot or at the very least primetime on Saturday.

The foresight was incorrect here but these things happen... you can't predict everything a year in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom