• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Even through the bitterness behind how MvC3/UMvC was handled, I still maintain, MvC4 is too strong of a brand and seller. Present Marvel licensing team knows, the old team was super enthusiastic about it, and it has a great recent sales record. It's about a no-brainer as it gets, especially with the proliferation of the MCU.

A modern licensing contract wouldn't have any of the stuff that made UMvC3 what it was, because those games in that contract were in the oven so long, and from a time when digital distribution was still in it's relative infancy. Capcom having the budget, being willing to take that financial risk, and dedicating enough resources/development time to it are equal parts the problem, but not insurmountable and wouldn't be surprised if the wheels are already in motion. I think we'll see an announcement by 2018, if it's not already one of Marvel's remaining games to announce this year.
If MvC4 gonna happen at all, I'd peg it for a Holiday 2017 reveal at PSX & an early 2019 launch (a fair bit before Infinity War Part 2). While yes, development takes time, you also need a proper hype cycle. But if Marvel & Capcom have yet to enter talks, push the mentioned dates back by a year.

1) Money hats.
2) Game made by Keits so clout in the FGC.
3) Made in USA and actually supported well by developers.
4) Game in which America isn't free in.

Smash 4 got the shaft because MrWiz and co. underestimate its support and rise as compared to Melee. They expected that the fanbase would gravitate more towards to Melee and Smash 4 might get the Brawl treatment. Instead game got heavily supported by developer and the community in the year with more entrants at EVO than Melee. It should've gotten that Sunday spot or at the very least primetime on Saturday.

The foresight was incorrect here but these things happen... you can't predict everything a year in advance.

Thats not an explanation lol. It's Smash 4's second year at Evo. There's already been a precedent set for how big that game is.

Dahbomb

Thats not an explanation lol. It's Smash 4's second year at Evo. There's already been a precedent set for how big that game is.
Games have had a big opening year and then slumped in the following year (or been removed completely). SFxT anyone?

Mr Wiz made a judgement call early on and it wasn't the right one (ie. that Smash 4 might decline like Brawl). That's just it, nothing more to it than that. I was just playing devil's advocate here, all of these things are more complicated than just "money hats".

Sayad

If they're showing anything interesting it's going to be before/after SFV finals, they'll probably just talk about plans for game modes, updates, etc... at the panel.

Neoxon

If we get Smash 4 NX next year it makes sense to use that as the "finals day debut" anyway.
Then we better hope that the NX port supports some kind of wired controller, preferably the GameCube Adapter. Though I have a good feeling that they'll keep the GameCube Adapter around.

Games have had a big opening year and then slumped in the following year (or been removed completely). SFxT anyone?

Mr Wiz made a judgement call early on and it wasn't the right one (ie. that Smash 4 might decline like Brawl). That's just it, nothing more to it than that. I was just playing devil's advocate here, all of these things are more complicated than just "money hats".

It's nonsense.

If there was any indication of a decline then there wouldn't be two smash games at evo in the first place.

The smash games have a higher standard to live up to to justify their coexistence. People looking over what percentage of the player bases crossover, when in reality there's more crossover between SFV & a stagnant game like UMvC3 than Melee & Smash 4.

Dahbomb

It's nonsense.

If there was any indication of a decline then there wouldn't be two smash games at evo in the first place.

The smash games have a higher standard to live up to to justify their coexistence. People looking over what percentage of the player bases crossover, when in reality there's more crossover between SFV & a stagnant game like UMvC3 than Melee & Smash 4.
Why don't you ask MrWizard about this instead of getting upset over it on message forums? Every single EVO you have some chip on your shoulder over EVO scheduling. Seems like you need to get into a room with MrWizard.

I gave a reasoning, you don't like it that's fine. I don't think it's nonsense especially with the history of the series with something like Smash Brawl, the first time Melee was at EVO (and then taken off due to MLG) and what happened with SFxT. Smash 4 was already controversial as it is with the customs being allowed at EVO.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I would be down for Jin in SFV, fireball orbs and all. I really liked what they did with him in SFxT, just wish he was a bit more execution friendly. And yes, Devil Jin V-trigger.
It's pretty sad in general that all the great ideas the Tekken characters had in them in SFxT are going to waste,

Good grief, the Chinese Stream for Capcom Fighters is ass. It keeps going down a lot.
I hope it's not affecting the archives. They only uploaded a third or so of yesterday's matches. I really want to see some of them.

Sayad

It's pretty sad in general that all the great ideas the Tekken characters had in them in SFxT are going to waste,
I said this before, I'd love to see a 2D fighter based around SFxT's Tekken characters general move sets, less emphasizes on reversals and more normals only strings and combos. Really loved Nina, Kazuya, Hei and King in that game, need something like that in a good fighting game.

I-hate-u

While you are correct about the separate console & mobile branches, they both still report to Ike Perlmutter. Also, Marvel is now being pretty selective about who handles their IPs. And while I could see Capcom USA pulling off the negotiations (as long as Combofiend is involved), I'm not sure if the Capcom Japan of today would show the passion that Marvel Games is now looking for. Not to mention Capcom probably not being willing to go along with the recent restrictions set by Marvel Entertainment's execs. And while some could argue that Capcom could fight back, this is the same company who censored the shit out of SFV (the most recent example being Cammy's nipples).

Marvel gotta remember that Capcom was one of the few to do their IPs justice.

The situation at Capcom is sad now. All the elite developers and prolific managers left the company. They bled so much talent in the past 10 years. If Mvc4 happens they will need so many external aid. It's a project that will require like 5 companies to collaborate on.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Even if Chris G were to win Marvel I feel as though it won't mean much when there are a lot less players and the gods are like busy with other games.

It's almost EVO week. Could tell a lot of players are nervous and anxious.

ldcommando

Banned
Even if Chris G were to win Marvel I feel as though it won't mean much when there are a lot less players and the gods are like busy with other games.

Is chris g confirmed to attend evo? I remember him saying in his stream that he was not sure if he would go.

Neoxon

I'd have to agree on this one. As disappointed as I am about how Smash 4 got screwed over, this makes sense. Now with Smash 4 retaining its hype & the rumored NX port coming, hopefully Mr. Wizard won't make the same mistake again in 2017.

Marvel gotta remember that Capcom was one of the few to do their IPs justice.

The situation at Capcom is sad now. All the elite developers and prolific managers left the company. They bled so much talent in the past 10 years. If Mvc4 happens they will need so many external aid. It's a project that will require like 5 companies to collaborate on.
History only gets you so far if you've pretty much lost your backbone in recent years. But pertaining to your 2nd point, Capcom did retain most of their fighting game talent (Neo_G aside, hence me saying "most" instead of "all").

shaowebb

If Disney want Marvel to have a presence in every genre thats strong and MVC4 depends upon the success of SFV its a good chance that Marvel will be getting a new fighting game made by someone other than capcom next lol.

I'm down for any competitive Marvel game though. I dont care if its Capcom, NRS, or Iron Galaxy. If its competitive enough for tourney and marvel I'd have fun. Whoever gets it I'd like a story mode next time. Those MVC3 trailers were hype and they ended up not having any story at all. Just oddball ending pics again.

Neoxon

If Disney want Marvel to have a presence in every genre thats strong and MVC4 depends upon the success of SFV its a good chance that Marvel will be getting a new fighting game made by someone other than capcom next lol.

I'm down for any competitive Marvel game though. I dont care if its Capcom, NRS, or Iron Galaxy. If its competitive enough for tourney and marvel I'd have fun. Whoever gets it I'd like a story mode next time. Those MVC3 trailers were hype and they ended up not having any story at all. Just oddball ending pics again.
I don't think NRS is an option since WB has them locked down (Lego being the exception with TT). It's similar to how it's unlikely that Rocksteady will make a Marvel game. Either way, Marvel knows that there's a fanbase for the MvC games, & even went as far as to give it an official universe (Earth-30847), so it's definitely not impossible.

If it wasn't Capcom making the Marvel fighting game, then it'd be either Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, or Iron Galaxy. I already explained why NRS is unlikely, and Team Ninja supposedly tried & failed in making a Marvel fighting game happen.

Why don't you ask MrWizard about this instead of getting upset over it on message forums? Every single EVO you have some chip on your shoulder over EVO scheduling. Seems like you need to get into a room with MrWizard.

I gave a reasoning, you don't like it that's fine. I don't think it's nonsense especially with the history of the series with something like Smash Brawl, the first time Melee was at EVO (and then taken off due to MLG) and what happened with SFxT. Smash 4 was already controversial as it is with the customs being allowed at EVO.

...Even not considering Smash 4, its wacky how there are four games with top 8s starting at 8 am on saturday while basically all pools on friday. Half the evo lineup. Friday usually at least finishes one game. Both personas were given this honor. Tekken Tag 2 was given this honor. Tekken 7 was going to be given this honor. Pokken was going to be given this honor. But somehow KI always avoids this.

ZTS is right. You can try and label yourself "devil's advocate" but you'd be have either blind or a really, really big KI fan to not think something else isn't at play there.

Skab

Why is the game with the least amount of entrants at EVO the past two years the one with the prime time finals slot on Saturday? Seriously? Is the money hat THAT strong? I officially do not like Killer Instinct now.

Entrant numbers have nothing to do with what time slot a game gets. KI top 8's are always entertaining and have only gotten better each year, and the game itself has continued to grow from year to year. There's no reason for it not to be the headlining game on Saturday, other than you simply wanting your preferred game to bet here instead.

But, if you're seriously going to sit there and cry about "money hats" and are going to base your opinion of the game off that, then please do stay away from the game and its community.

James Chen mentioned that UMvC3 still has one of the best rivarlies and compelling storylines in terms of fighting games. The strength of Kane & Champ and the hunger of players like RayRay, Clock, Cloud, and the existence of tech and team monsters on both coasts will make it and entertaining event.
I hope ChrisG makes top 8 but I am still not sure if he will win EVO.

Warxard

Banned
Why is the game with the least amount of entrants at EVO the past two years the one with the prime time finals slot on Saturday? Seriously? Is the money hat THAT strong? I officially do not like Killer Instinct now.

Maybe if Tekken was a game that was actually out it would get that primetime spot.

Essay

Any love for Darkstalkers in here?

I fancy giving Darkstalkers Resurrection some time and I've been trying to find some guides and even character specific tutorials, but there seems to be very little. =/ Are there any resources out there?

Apparently we love Darkstalkers too much to look away from the game to catch posts like this. :p

Have you checked out the Mizuumi Vampire Savior wiki yet? Great starting point

I fancy giving Darkstalkers Resurrection some time and I've been trying to find some guides and even character specific tutorials, but there seems to be very little. =/ Are there any resources out there?

make sure you play a guy name coco on fightcade as bbhood and do as many grandma supers as you can

you should also check out the arcade legacy youtube channel for some vids on vsav

I mean Ki is in a good timeslot and a bad timeslot at the same time.

Saturday's packed schedule looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Cycling through 4 games? Starting at 8:30 am? It's not going to run on time. And KI is the game that's supposed to be on right before SFV semis.

FACE

Banned

The best english resource is, as far as I know, the Mizuumi wiki Essay already linked... unless you happen to play gallon cause then you should check out Skankin Garbage's blog: http://vstalbain.blogspot.com.br/

Edit: Join the FGW discord(link is on the OP), some of us play vsav regularly there.

.la1n

I mean Ki is in a good timeslot and a bad timeslot at the same time.

Saturday's packed schedule looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Cycling through 4 games? Starting at 8:30 am? It's not going to run on time. And KI is the game that's supposed to be on right before SFV semis.

I can already envision the moment where Twitch chat goes nuclear.

Tripon

SFV semis will be on 3 different streams, which I assume will be 3 different streaming stations as well.

If KI goes over, the SFV fans will just flock to the other two streams.

I don't know, I don't think it'll be a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom