• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

...Even not considering Smash 4, its wacky how there are four games with top 8s starting at 8 am on saturday while basically all pools on friday. Half the evo lineup. Friday usually at least finishes one game. Both personas were given this honor. Tekken Tag 2 was given this honor. Tekken 7 was going to be given this honor. Pokken was going to be given this honor. But somehow KI always avoids this.

ZTS is right. You can try and label yourself "devil's advocate" but you'd be have either blind or a really, really big KI fan to not think something else isn't at play there.
You know my #1 and #2 reasoning were "money hats" and "Keits" right? If you got some better reasoning then let's hear it... I have not heard any reasons as to why this is happening from you.

And I was agreeing with ZTS too, this shouldn't have happened but it did and we are trying to discuss why it happened.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's going to be hard to keep up with the madness. Can't really blame the staff but we're obviously going to run into matches we really don't want to see and ones we want to but cannot watch. These guys will have to get like no sleep for three days in order to run the tournament so we have to cut them some slack.

Apparently we love Darkstalkers too much to look away from the game to catch posts like this. :p

Have you checked out the Mizuumi Vampire Savior wiki yet? Great starting point

make sure you play a guy name coco on fightcade as bbhood and do as many grandma supers as you can

you should also check out the arcade legacy youtube channel for some vids on vsav

The best english resource is, as far as I know, the Mizuumi wiki Essay already linked... unless you happen to play gallon cause then you should check out Skankin Garbage's blog: http://vstalbain.blogspot.com.br/

Edit: Join the FGW discord(link is on the OP), some of us play vsav regularly there.

Thank you all, I'll give these suggestions a good look. I've hooked up my PS3 again with Resurrection and also got Chaos Tower on my Vita just to dabble with, tho I feel so behind I could start a LTTP. Shameful given I have a Darkstalkers themed fightstick.

So anyone got any plans during Thursday before the tournament? My brothers are heading up to Vegas to check it out and look around Evo for a day so I would be caught up during some of the time, but I don't spending some time chilling with some of you guys before the tournament like last year.

edit: If there is any pre-Evo events maybe I should check them out.

Also it sucks that MonHun releases on the 15th, which is my flight, last year I spent my downtime during my flight and during my waiting period playing MH4U. I think I might bring my Vita this year and just level in Dragon's Crown or something.

"Grey lives matter!"

"WE OWN HIM!" We on the stick, we own the TV... we own ALL machines!"

"Guys I AM ONLY HUMAN!!!"

Someone needs to gif them turning into Super Saiyan when they beat the bot LMAO!

My favorite is KBrad putting his arm across Goorecks and Mike saying "RELAX FELLAS RELAX"

Also Mike saying "I am the chosen one? I am the chosen one guys."

KBrad can be downright sensual when he's talking while someone else is playing. "Now jab him! Mmmm... Jab him! Mmmm... I like that!" =p

Seriously one of the most entertaining FGC guy around. He still rocks Trish in UMvC3.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I got a backlog of EAs I need to catch up on. It's probably my favorite thing on Youtube. Got me into fighting games in the first place.

Me too!

It's going to be hard to keep up with the madness. Can't really blame the staff but we're obviously going to run into matches we really don't want to see and ones we want to but cannot watch. These guys will have to get like no sleep for three days in order to run the tournament so we have to cut them some slack.

The evo schedule isn't balanced. I don't think much will happen on Friday. It's just constant pools, GG and Tekken late in the day. SFV doesn't even get to round 2 of its pools until midday on Saturday despite starting Friday morning. That's insane. And there's going to be a clusterfuck of all these other games happening on the same saturday, because they need to finish 4 games while getting 3 other games to their top 8.

Kumubou

I honestly put it in the same pile as Aquapazza. What shocks me everytime I see CEOtaku is that somehow Aquapazza still has players though. That negative emotion system is aaaaaaaaaass. Dug through its characters and its not like they were doing much original either to be honest. I still rank both above Phantom Breaker Extra though. Ten million clash/counter tools all put into the game in hopes of making it a DBZ crazy back and forth edge of your seat fighter thats super rushdown based and it only achieved the opposite...folks just run and zone because its better than facing the chaos lol.

Blarcus, Aquapazza, Phantom Breaker Extra are my bottom 3 anime fighters TBH. I still feel all are worth owning and playing though if the price is low enough. Definitely not worth $40+ though IMO.
Time for a post that only shaowebb and I are going to care about.

I don't think anyone will argue that the emotion system in Aquapazza is implemented well, but its issues are exasperated when you are first learning the game. The system in there to encourage and discourage different behaviors, and in particular to force players to be more active on defense by using impact guard. It's not immediately apparently just how important impact guard is though. When you see something like Karulau doing dashing B into overhead smash and your first instinct is to block and then react to the overhead... and your reward for blocking the overhead is to immediately go into low emotion? That's kind of shitty. Or if you're trying to close space against a decent Sasara player and you're not impact guarding her random pokes, by the time you get close you're going to be in low emotion and you're going to do fuck all for damage. Once you realize that impact guard is really goddamn important, the game rewards you by allowing you to not die instantly... which, granted, isn't a very satisfying reward.

As for the characters not being innovative... I don't think they really need to be? Look at what the licensed series are and the characters in game. Honestly, the game does a good job of replicating how those characters should look and feel in-game (or at least how I would have imagined them, anyway). Where you have characters like Riannon who have all of these insane zoning options as a spellcaster but has super awkward movement and is pretty much useless up-close. Or something like how most of the ToHeart characters feel kind of awkward to play as, almost as if they have no business fighting. (I always thought they should have used the Banned Travelers versions of those characters, as it would have also given the game a much more cohesive look.) The game actually implements a good mix of playstyles in its characters, from bootleg KOF-style rushdown to SS/Koihime type footsies to some rather extreme zoning and space control.

In short: The emotion system isn't implemented well, but it becomes less awful as you start learning the game systems and match-ups and there's a lot of variety in playstyles in the game (even if they're not all implemented equally well) and I think the game is better than you give it credit for.

As a thought exercise, if you were ask me how I would rank all of the Animevo games... I would have no freakin idea, really. Melty would be at the top, Blarcus would be dead last and everything else is kind of ???.

SFV semis will be on 3 different streams, which I assume will be 3 different streaming stations as well.

If KI goes over, the SFV fans will just flock to the other two streams.

I don't know, I don't think it'll be a big deal.

It's fine for people watching the streams but unless it's different at this new venue stream 1 is the setup that is only one given stage presence.

If they didn't have to close the night with SFV on stage, the saturday schedule would be more manageable but SF is the main attraction for people.

Vice

It's fine for people watching the streams but unless it's different at this new venue stream 1 is the setup that is only one given stage presence.

If they didn't have to close the night with SFV on stage, the saturday schedule would be more manageable but SF is the main attraction for people.
They have stages for the other games. Last year there were three screens setup during the first two days. One for winner side SF, another for losers and one more for another title like KI or MKX. SF will probably get the bigger screen but, there will likely be two or three smaller ones in the venue for other titles.

Dahbomb

EVO is definitely going to be a cluster fudge. Instead of spreading stuff out on Friday they just jam packed Saturday even more. Multiple games will get the shaft.

It's too big. Like the streams will be good for casual spectators, but anyone who follows games or players is kind of ass out.

Like I find it hard to be sympathetic to Smash 4 players when they get an entire stream dedicated to pool play of their game for the duration of friday.

Xrd is a Sunday game and it doesn't look like they're streaming pool play at all. MKX as well.

My complaint about KI's time slot has little to do with Tekken. Killer Instinct simply does not deserve the prime time slot. I'm not saying Tekken does. Honestly Smash 4 should have it.

I'd prefer it though if Tekken was on Friday now. 9:00AM time slot means no views & no exposure. I was hoping the game would get a chance to ride the wave of the E3 announcements into EVO. It's unfortunate.

I don't really like the idea that certain games "deserve" a timeslot.

I mean what's the point of even having anything besides the big games if size dictates exposure level?

There is so much overlapping or inconvenient times for the 3 games I'd want to see(SFV, MKX, FR) it's depressing. Like there is no chance I'm getting up that early for T7 finals on Saturday.

shaowebb

Time for a post that only shaowebb and I are going to care about.

I don't think anyone will argue that the emotion system in Aquapazza is implemented well, but its issues are exasperated when you are first learning the game. The system in there to encourage and discourage different behaviors, and in particular to force players to be more active on defense by using impact guard. It's not immediately apparently just how important impact guard is though. When you see something like Karulau doing dashing B into overhead smash and your first instinct is to block and then react to the overhead... and your reward for blocking the overhead is to immediately go into low emotion? That's kind of shitty. Or if you're trying to close space against a decent Sasara player and you're not impact guarding her random pokes, by the time you get close you're going to be in low emotion and you're going to do fuck all for damage. Once you realize that impact guard is really goddamn important, the game rewards you by allowing you to not die instantly... which, granted, isn't a very satisfying reward.

As for the characters not being innovative... I don't think they really need to be? Look at what the licensed series are and the characters in game. Honestly, the game does a good job of replicating how those characters should look and feel in-game (or at least how I would have imagined them, anyway). Where you have characters like Riannon who have all of these insane zoning options as a spellcaster but has super awkward movement and is pretty much useless up-close. Or something like how most of the ToHeart characters feel kind of awkward to play as, almost as if they have no business fighting. (I always thought they should have used the Banned Travelers versions of those characters, as it would have also given the game a much more cohesive look.) The game actually implements a good mix of playstyles in its characters, from bootleg KOF-style rushdown to SS/Koihime type footsies to some rather extreme zoning and space control.

In short: The emotion system isn't implemented well, but it becomes less awful as you start learning the game systems and match-ups and there's a lot of variety in playstyles in the game (even if they're not all implemented equally well) and I think the game is better than you give it credit for.

As a thought exercise, if you were ask me how I would rank all of the Animevo games... I would have no freakin idea, really. Melty would be at the top, Blarcus would be dead last and everything else is kind of ???.

Good post. The problem with licensed characters is that it often restricts how creative you can get with some of the movesets. Best they did IMO were the one who uses books and the stuff with cleaning (which honestly feels like it was straight up a tribute to Roll's moves from TVC stuff). The movesets just felt basic and like they didn't try to stand out enough is the problem I have with it.

If you already suffer from a system that constantly punishes folks for either threading the needle properly or blocking a lot of pressure properly because they didn't use one specific mechanic the game has its just kind of taking the wind out of the offense it does have. Why punish them for defense and offense because it wasn't using a single tool the whole time? If folks are expected to feel weak when they start why make the offense so basic and bare to begin with? At least be flashy if its not gonna be powerful til they learn to use a specific tool.Whole thing just felt like it tried to force players to play how they preferred, but in an environment that never really dictated doing so clearly. The negative emotion states honestly feel like random penalties and punishments for no good reason IMO. Forcing a whole game to revolve around one tool like that is counter intuitive to how the players want to play IMO. The whole Aquapazza Negative Emotion System seems forced onto the title really just to stand out because nothing in it manages to and I dont thing it helps it stand out in a good way.

I also agree that Melty is by far the best at AnimeEVO. Fast, deep, lots of movesets, lots of strategies, and honestly some very unique stuff like all the Nero tools. Its definitely one of the top 3 best anime titles out there. I'd put Blaz Blue next and then either GG or UNIEL.. Past that its a very very tight cluster between Nitro+/DFCI and AH3Love max but I feel overall AH3 is the deepest overall. Bottom three are likely Chaos Code, then Aquapazza then Blarcus in distant last. All are still deep enough to play competitively and balanced enough but all three are missing just enough to show them as an obviously lower quality of tourney game for fans and players.Good enough to play, but there are obviously cooler pics.

Most popular will be ASW stuff, then French Bread guaranteed. Examu doesn't draw over here sadly. To be fair I think they lack impact in many of their animations. If they expanded their art team it'd do wonders for them because I think they have some of the absolute best detailed systems and movesets. They create some very fast games with lots of player freedom to get creative.

Sorry just all over the place now tossing thoughts at AnimEVO titles. They each have stuff to them, but by far the most exciting aren't Aquapazza or Blarcus and unless you are like me and just eager to play and experience everything you'll likely just hit the best this anime stuff has and call it a day. If you wanna do that then I'd say Buy up All 3 French Bread titles (Melty, UNIEL, and DFCI) then your current BB and GG titles and slip some Arcana Heart in there. Nitro Plus is good enough to mention but it feels so close to DFCI and so much smaller now that even though its faster and more crazy I feel it just comes in a close second without reaching its full potential which I feel DFCI manages.

It's too big. Like the streams will be good for casual spectators, but anyone who follows games or players is kind of ass out.

Like I find it hard to be sympathetic to Smash 4 players when they get an entire stream dedicated to pool play of their game for the duration of friday.

Xrd is a Sunday game and it doesn't look like they're streaming pool play at all. MKX as well.

GG pool play is 2 hours at 4 pm pst on friday on the 3rd stream. MK has six hours of pool play on saturday between 2 streams.

GG pool play is 2 hours at 4 pm pst on friday on the 3rd stream. MK has six hours of pool play on saturday between 2 streams.

I missed the other MK spot

Still though even taking relative size into consideration, 900 players getting you 2 hours in proportion to 1900 getting you 14 hours straight seems a little skewed to me.

and why I don't really think of Smash 4 getting early Saturday finals as getting "shafted" at all. They can watch their game at any point they choose on Friday. A lot of their weaker players have a good chance of getting matches on stream themselves. If that's not a perk of size I don't know what is.

Nitro Plus is good enough to mention but it feels so close to DFCI and so much smaller now that even though its faster and more crazy I feel it just comes in a close second without reaching its full potential which I feel DFCI manages.

Nitro Blasterz has a current gen western release though. I feel that counts for something too, especially since it's not like it's really a poorer game than DFCI.

I missed the other MK spot

Still though even taking relative size into consideration, 900 players getting you 2 hours in proportion to 1900 getting you 14 hours straight seems a little skewed to me.

and why I don't really think of Smash 4 getting early Saturday finals as getting "shafted" at all. They can watch their game at any point they choose on Friday. A lot of their weaker players have a good chance of getting matches on stream themselves. If that's not a perk of size I don't know what is.

Is it really preferable to have 14 hours of random person get styled on by top player?

Will MKX be dropped for injustice 2 next year?

Also can SFV stay as big as it is right now on the fgc next year?

Will tekken 7 be the first 3d game that generates large interest in fgc?

Is it really preferable to have 14 hours of random person get styled on by top player?

Yeah.

because that guy can tell all his friends to watch him get bodied by top player.

Being on stream is fun and a part of the tournament experience to me, and being able to watch your friends on stream is part of the fun of spectating them.

The opportunity of that happening getting smaller and smaller for the games I play and follow is definitely a negative to me, and makes me less interested in Evo as a spectator and a future participant.

Dryeyereleif and ZTS is writing the script for next episode right now as we speak! With neoxon as the reviewer. I wonder what he will review it.since they will bash sfv.

I'm doing the original script & Dryeye is coming in to do the rewrites after test audiences don't like the controversial ending.

Neoxon

Will MKX be dropped for injustice 2 next year?

Also can SFV stay as big as it is right now on the fgc next year?

Will tekken 7 be the first 3d game that generates large interest in fgc?
  • Most likely, yeah.
  • If this year delivers as far as SFV at EVO goes, then I think next year will at the very least come close.
  • I sure as hell hope so.

Neoxon

We're free, now!

CnBV9GEXYAIWuLQ.jpg:large

shaowebb

Nitro Blasterz has a current gen western release though. I feel that counts for something too, especially since it's not like it's really a poorer game than DFCI.

Oh its definitely not a poorer game than DFCI, but DFCI just feels more complete to me. Kind of hard not to considering DFCI is a "super turbo" sort of thing and has a larger roster. I wish it would get an english physical release like how Nitroplus did though. If I had to choose between Nitroplus and the original Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax I'd choose Nitroplus, but Nitroplus vs DFCI... I'd choose DFCI. The extra cast, assists, and new systems just add that much to it.

Both titles deserve far more attention in the FGC than I feel they get though. These games are stellar and very good for tournaments. They have a very similar pace on stream at tourney to Blaz Blue tournaments with very fast paced footsies, combos, and calculated meter and burst usage. DFCI has a lot of runbacks though. Folks can stockpile trump cards and compensate between rounds with bonuses based on what they feel they struggled with in round one. Many many matches go a full 3 rounds everytime they try and win a game. I like watching Wolfkrone out there in it.

Yeah.

because that guy can tell all his friends to watch him get bodied by top player.

Being on stream is fun and a part of the tournament experience to me, and being able to watch your friends on stream is part of the fun of spectating them.

The opportunity of that happening getting smaller and smaller for the games I play and follow is definitely a negative to me, and makes me less interested in Evo as a spectator and a future participant.

That doesn't really fit with what you said earlier. You said that anyone who wants to watch smash 4 can do so at any time on friday, implying that any of the matches are interchangeable.

Also, if everyone had this need Evo would take a year to finish.

Periscope maybe?

If I had to choose between Nitroplus and the original Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax I'd choose Nitroplus, but Nitroplus vs DFCI... I'd choose DFCI. The extra cast, assists, and new systems just add that much to it.

Same, though for me it's more that i kinda don't like the shielding in N+B.

Oh its definitely not a poorer game than DFCI, but DFCI just feels more complete to me. Kind of hard not to considering DFCI is a "super turbo" sort of thing and has a larger roster. I wish it would get an english physical release like how Nitroplus did though. If I had to choose between Nitroplus and the original Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax I'd choose Nitroplus, but Nitroplus vs DFCI... I'd choose DFCI. The extra cast, assists, and new systems just add that much to it.

Both titles deserve far more attention in the FGC than I feel they get though. These games are stellar and very good for tournaments. They have a very similar pace on stream at tourney to Blaz Blue tournaments with very fast paced footsies, combos, and calculated meter and burst usage. DFCI has a lot of runbacks though. Folks can stockpile trump cards and compensate between rounds with bonuses based on what they feel they struggled with in round one. Many many matches go a full 3 rounds everytime they try and win a game. I like watching Wolfkrone out there in it.
preach
Why everytime this SNK/Capcom crossover talk happens people always says CVS and not SVC?
I'd rather see a new SVC than a CVS tbh

because SVC was trash

FACE

Banned
Thank you all, I'll give these suggestions a good look. I've hooked up my PS3 again with Resurrection and also got Chaos Tower on my Vita just to dabble with, tho I feel so behind I could start a LTTP. Shameful given I have a Darkstalkers themed fightstick.

Never too late to get into a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom