• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Same, though for me it's more that i kinda don't like the shielding in N+B.

Its pretty crazy, but it leaves you vulnerable to high lows. Its a very very in your face game. Kind of Examu's thing though to make systems that put players in each others faces often and tools that make moves negate each other. They love clashes and guard mechanics.

Makes for some great pressure filled sets and a lot of turnabout moments during tournament though

This is typically EXAMU style gameplay really. They love tools for fast recovery from good blocking that lead to comebacks and they love moves that clash more than trade because it means instead of breaks in the action it turns into a DBZ back and forth of players speed swinging at each other for advantage. They don't like action breaks and they love making folks highly mobile so they can continue pressure. I wish they'd get more work. If nothing else, I wish more fighting games would consider their mentality about tooling moves and tools for both defensive situations and offensive situations to create these back and forth situations. Usually folks just put in a breaker or counters. Its easier than figuring out how to balance clashes. Just look at Scharlaochrot...big damage, tons of clash moves, and long range normals and a command grab super. It means she can just keep swinging without having to work hard to get in range and any successful clash or guard cancel could lead to command grab super and setups. Shit aint easy to balance and its hard to figure which clash moves are essential to the character or just too much.

I still wish we'd see more titles use this though.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
We're free, now!

CnBV9GEXYAIWuLQ.jpg:large

First some art, now someone has made a song. =S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQJaXt0iJsU&feature=youtu.be

Its pretty crazy, but it leaves you vulnerable to high lows.

Not very, and i just find the back and forth shielding gameplay kind of obnoxious because of the constant freezing. Also don't really like how some characters eat others alive because they have so much stronger normals to use after any shield interaction.

I guess i just wanted Barrier or FD or Uniel's shield instead of... this. ¯\(O_°)/¯

That doesn't really fit with what you said earlier. You said that anyone who wants to watch smash 4 can do so at any time on friday, implying that any of the matches are interchangeable.

No there was no implication there. Just explicitly stating what I said. Smash 4 is getting an entire stream to itself on Friday.
Also, if everyone had this need Evo would take a year to finish.

I'm not asking for 14 hours. Just maybe a little more than two for 900 players lol. Especially when one game is getting 14 hours of pool play and, going by what you're saying, doesn't even want/care about it.

If that's the case share the wealth.

shaowebb

Not very, and i just find the back and forth shielding gameplay kind of obnoxious because of the constant freezing. Also don't really like how some characters eat others alive because they have so much stronger normals to use after any shield interaction.

I guess i just wanted Barrier or FD or Uniel's shield instead of... this. ¯\(O_°)/¯

Yeah, I think folks with fast normals are supposed to have low clash ability in Arcana Heart unless they have poor mixup options. This was to insure that speedsters didn't dominate the game entirely due to their advantages in clash or after Guard Cancels. Not sure if they bothered in Nitroplus to use that mindset considering perfect guards are free and you can summon two assists simultaneously. In that kind of environment you can't really restrict fast normal characters from having lots of punish options because you have the shielding giving them the back and forth frequency on defense that was usually only possible in Arcana for offense clashing because guard cancels cost a bar and were harder to perform in Arcana Heart than shielding is in Nitroplus Blasterz. Plus you can't restrict the mixup potential of fast normal characters to balance them due to the assists.

I'll try not to get into air unblockables as a balancing tool they've used to further try to balance other cast to deal with stuff. Its just a headache and while good in execution its just so much added to an already deep game that it makes it super hard to learn.

Nitroplus is still a pretty decently balanced game and its largely based on reads, but for certain folks like Ruili are pretty tippy top because of how easily and often they can take advantage after a shield. The pressure gets super strong for them. Its why I usually don't see folks meet those folks head on with other pressure folks because then it becomes a crapshoot or folks run up throwing out of shield the whole match. They tend to go full zoner or they choose a command grab character to pressure with to punish their defensive game if they run into someone who is too good at speedsters like Ruili. Typically if you see a ton of shielding you are meant to use more command throws in general which is why I see Saya's and Ethicas crop up so often. Command grabs or zoning are just your best tools against shielders who possess fast normals.

Honestly I feel if they made air shielding less safe it'd help a lot. You can't really do much vs it.

I only want Akuma in SF5 because his V-Trigger could be him turning into Shin Akuma. Also, it's very understated how T R A S H SvC Chaos was. And that's not even taking into account the balance issues. Ugh, and the roster? Just plain awfulness all-around.
CVS2 was trash too tbh.
You're trash :mad:
『Inaba Resident』;209647525 said:
Yeah, I've never quite understood the love for CVS2. I don't think it's absolutely horrible or anything but I've never gotten why its praised so highly.

Because it's a solid game with easy to understand systems and a great pretty good roster. The only blight on the game is Custom Combos, but those have been game killers in anything they've been featured in.

shaowebb

Because it's a solid game with easy to understand systems and a great pretty good roster. The only blight on the game is Custom Combos, but those have been game killers in anything they've been featured in.

Honestly, I feel this is something special that is hard to achieve these days. Not many fighting games stand out without unique systems to set them apart. Its kind of helping to create newer and fresher experiences but at the same time its marginalizing the audience sizes for titles because it becomes harder and harder to pick up a new fighting game for casuals and pros alike. Each game now a days requires a lot of dedication to learn.

I'm loving some of the unique and amazing experiences these new systems created but its a double edged sword thats making it harder for players to be a part of more than a single game or so.

tumblr_inline_o9t3ozx8i91s2koqo_540.gif

what's this from?
The animation reminds me of SF Alpha, but I'm not sure.

I only want Akuma in SF5 because his V-Trigger could be him turning into Shin Akuma. Also, it's very understated how T R A S H SvC Chaos was.
Firebrand in SvC Chaos...lol.

If Akuma doesn't permanently become Shin Akuma in SFV, I will be a little pissed. He also better have 2 supers by default because he is fucking Akuma. Or maybe change his super when he goes Shin.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Champ is playing Marvel with his usual week before at my house crew so maybe he is taking it a little seriously.

I wonder how big characters are going to be on an 80+ inch tv.

Champ is playing Marvel with his usual week before at my house crew so maybe he is taking it a little seriously.
On one hand, SFV is the game to play.

On the other hand, Champ has no chance at winning SFV.

So he might as well play a game he can be the best at.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For a while there I thought he was the best Sim but Art clearly passed him the last couple of weeks. Regardless Sim is still free to certain characters.

I wonder how long it will take Capcom to make a balance patch for the game. It's a fairly balanced game but you can clearly tell which characters are better than others.

Dahbomb

FChamp started taking Marvel seriously again right around the Pasadena regional because he got bopped by ChrisG and Cloud. Also the hype got to him.

Marvel in West coast is still strong and competitive (probably strongest right now) as it is in Florida. There hasn't been a lot of cross traveling this year so at EVO a lot of the different players will clash after a long time. Then there's the question of international strength of the game, game had another strong showing at KVO and Japanese are coming back again after their top 8 finishes.

And you never write off Justin Wong. Stuff will pop off at EVO, it will just be sad that we will miss out on a lot of the action because the schedule is so packed on Saturday.

No there was no implication there. Just explicitly stating what I said. Smash 4 is getting an entire stream to itself on Friday.

I'm not asking for 14 hours. Just maybe a little more than two for 900 players lol. Especially when one game is getting 14 hours of pool play and, going by what you're saying, doesn't even want/care about it.

If that's the case share the wealth.

If it were up to me GG would get more shine. Aside from ArcRevo what tournaments for this game are of this level? But Smash 4 getting a secondary stream dedicated to its pools is a consolidation prize. Game that's midday at mandalay bay shouldn't be complaining about it.

notworksafe

Yeah, I've never quite understood the love for CVS2. I don't think it's absolutely horrible or anything but I've never gotten why its praised so highly.

Roll cancelling is fun, custom combos are fun, and you can still see new, fun teams even today.

vocab

Because it has almost every character under the sun. It's a celebration of both Capcom and SNK games with huge variety, and really good music. Who cares about it's competitiveness. There was still a lot of untapped potential in CVS2, but no one bothered because A groove was highly efficient with very little effort to gain meter.

S Groove aka Bess Groove (actually worst groove but eh it's hella fun). Cammy has an corner infinite with her super at low hp heh.
My super-skillful self just jumped into Morrigan fireball super over and over.

Pew pew pew!

Then I usually lost because that's a bad strategy, but I loved it every time! I actually went through the cast just to figure out who had the most abusable supers.

Neoxon

FChamp started taking Marvel seriously again right around the Pasadena regional because he got bopped by ChrisG and Cloud. Also the hype got to him.

Marvel in West coast is still strong and competitive (probably strongest right now) as it is in Florida. There hasn't been a lot of cross traveling this year so at EVO a lot of the different players will clash after a long time. Then there's the question of international strength of the game, game had another strong showing at KVO and Japanese are coming back again after their top 8 finishes.

And you never write off Justin Wong. Stuff will pop off at EVO, it will just be sad that we will miss out on a lot of the action because the schedule is so packed on Saturday.
Sounds like Mahvel is starting to ramp up again in time for EVO.

Rhapsody

Banned
CvS2 being fun reminds me of what was said in the SNK interview for KoFXIV. They stressed that devs were just making whatever sounded fun. Balance wasn't a big thought, just make sure there's nothing that comes out that's completely busted. Having a game celebrating two companies and various mechanics was cool.

Definitely think that if the game came out during the stream monster age, it'd get hate on as much as SFxT though.

On the opposite side of things, lots of legacy games gets praise, especially from people that never really got into the game enough. Fond memories can go a long ways lol
But not enough to make a Darkstalkers sequel

Neoxon

So I visited an old arcade that I went to when I was a kid. While they were surprisingly still open, they swapped out 3rd Strike for Vanilla SFIV. I spoke with the owner (who was shocked to see how much I've grown) & found out that he was looking to trade up to Ultra or have someone whip up a PC cabinet for SFV. No word on Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, though. As for the other games, MvC1 was sold to a laser tag place closer to my house, MvC2 went to a movie theater in Willowbrook, Super Turbo went to somewhere in Memorial, and I don't remember what he said about Alpha 3 & CvS2's whereabouts (I know they're still in Houston).

CVS2 was definitely shitted on when it came out. Roll cancelling saved it as far as the scene went.

I always wanted to learn RCing, but I could never get the timing down when I was younger. I might be able to do it now that I'm older and have more patience.
Yep eventually. I remember when CVS2 was 3/5 for normals and 4/7 for finals. That took foreeeeeeeeeeeevvver.

omfg, THIS

I love CvS2, but even I have my limits.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
All I did in the couple of weeks I played CVS2 super-casually was just troll my friends with Nakoruru.

Then I found out she was apparently broken in CVS1, which sounds fantastic.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I wish to see some old school games in competitive play. At least high level. I wonder if there was high level Tobal, Toshinden, etc.

notworksafe

All these dopes with their last minute EVO gofundmes are terrible.

Maybe I should start one: Help A Drunken Old Shitposter Go 1-2 In Tekken At EVO & Then Hit The Craps Table

Tripon

All these dopes with their last minute EVO gofundmes are terrible.

Maybe I should start one: Help A Drunken Old Shitposter Go 1-2 In Tekken At EVO & Then Hit The Craps Table
I never get this. You would think if you were going to hit your audience, you would do it early so you can get as much as you can.

JeTmAn81

The Marvel guys kind of just have to keep playing Marvel. The SF field is more crowded than ever and dominated by Asian killers, so these guys need to keep playing the game they have a chance to win at. Almost all the big Marvel players from five years ago are still the big players now.

Zissou

I was always confused why Champ seemed to stop practicing marvel in the first place. It's so much easier to spend a little maintenance time in training mode to keep yourself fresh rather than trying to knock off the rust after taking a long break.

Talonz

Floe is trying to get his PS4 SFV up to par and once he hit gold he's getting so many ragequitter's. It's insane.

Edit: He just got his first hate mail. The dude called his Karin ass. lol

Dahbomb

The Marvel guys kind of just have to keep playing Marvel. The SF field is more crowded than ever and dominated by Asian killers, so these guys need to keep playing the game they have a chance to win at. Almost all the big Marvel players from five years ago are still the big players now.
Aside from PRRog who actually retired everyone in the top 32 is a major threat and no one is a massive favorite like in previous EVO... most open tournament for the game yet. Now it's close to EVO time and a lot of these players are thinking "man I can legit do this!" Everyone thinks the other guy hasn't been practicing but then they get bopped at crunch times.

Plus massive nerves, humongous crowd, tough brackets, harsh environment, biggest stage... the blow ups are going to be ridiculous.

My short list of top 8 at EVO in terms of most likely:

ChrisG, FChamp, RayRay, KBR, random ZMC player (Jibrill, Cloud, Flux), Justin Wong, Full Schedule, Clockwork. Possibly Apologyman in there too with someone from the International crowd like it usually ends up happening.

Yeah yeah Justin, Chris, FCHAMP didn't make top 8 last year but they are still capable of making it this year. All of them have tournament wins this year and it's not like others have massively surpassed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom