• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

With fighting games coming back in a massive way since the launch of SF4 (and especially recently), as a TO and a fan, you want everything to be there. But logistically, something needs to change if you want to make it work. The FGC is getting far too big to have their super bowl run in an entire weekend.

Cutting the number of games should be a last resort imo, because I personally want as many games as possible to be represented.

Yeah, but stuff like this keeps coming from the Smash people. Obviously, not all of them act like this, but legit complaints aside, this keeps coming up again and again to a point where I dunno, maybe a mutual separation might be needed.

shaowebb

YOOOOOOOO MKX grand finals. Tekken Master has SonicFox reset in the bracket and so pressured SonicFox actually took off the fur hat. HIS FINAL FORM!

Tripon

You always have the people who comes out of nowhere saying the FGC is trash, jealous of Smash community, etc. Honestly EVO doesn't need Smash and vice versa but people are trying to make it work. I'm all about the more games, the merrier but I also know it'll be a nightmare to run. You are never ever going to please everyone. Butthurts are going to happen. Every year is a learning experience for everyone. Perhaps EVO needs to chill out with the number of games.

I'm going to believe the words of a certain TO and people who have been saying Smash players have some sense of entitlement rather than them. Instead of making the thread about Zero's tweets it could be more along the lines of EVO has so and so things wrong with it this year, here's our opinion on how to make it better, etc. Context is important. Thread titles and OP is important.
This, pretty much. EVO was overcrowded this year. Next year should be better, and a lot of the issues to me is that Smash just takes a long time so shit just becomes a bigger problem compared to other games because of the time issue.

Yeah, but stuff like this keeps coming from the Smash people. Obviously, not all of them act like this, but legit complaints aside, this keeps coming up again and again to a point where I dunno, maybe a mutual separation might be needed.

It'd be cool if everything could be there, but if it came to it I'd be fine with that. Most fighting games need EVO, but Smash doesn't. Smash is super popular and they could easily run their own events.

That being said, Melee and Sm4sh will be back at EVO next year regardless. I don't see that changing on EVO's part or the Smash community's.

Line_HTX

It'd be cool if everything could be there, but if it came to it I'd be fine with that. Most fighting games need EVO, but Smash doesn't. Smash is super popular and they could easily run their own events.

That being said, Melee and Sm4sh will be back at EVO next year regardless. I don't see that changing on EVO's part or the Smash community's.

Yep, and despite Jebailey's frustration and all that venting, both games will be back at CEO also.

shaowebb

YO MY GOD! Final Form Sonicfox is hatless with Alien! No joke that is LITERALLY forcing him to resort to the absolute best character in the game and forcing him to drop all lightheartedness and go full hardass. No furry hat, no smiles, no nothing. Just crazy seeing Sonicfox pushed like that.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Good for you will read now

I didn't know Fuudo and itabashi played VF :eek:

How did players who just got into VF with 5 react to the throw change in the last revision?
it's controversial
i think final showdown is mechanically the best game in the franchise

Kumubou

it's controversial
i think final showdown is mechanically the best game in the franchise
I liked the change a lot -- but then again my throw break mechanics in 4 and 5 were terrible.

I think it helps streamline the game at lower and mid level play while not really hurting it all that much at high levels. It's still takes a ton of presence of mind to throw break in every situation where you should. The one thing I don't like it how characters like Jacky and Shun now have the same difficulty of difficulty as characters like Wolf and Aoi in terms of guessing throw breaks.

And Hi from Mandalay Bay. :3

Kalamari

Context please? Is some game getting something new?

Naw, it's just a remark related to the Smash complaints. It looks like they were jealous that other stream stations had projectors and they didn't. I don't even know if the projectors belong to the streamer or if they were borrowing the equipment from someone, streaming logistics are complicated.

Also, I wish the commentator booth was closer to the stage and crowd. From a production standpoint, the view from the booth makes the place look empty and the crowd noise is so faint. If the commentator booth was on the ground near the stage, the hype would be much more intense from a viewer point of view.

NEO0MJ

Naw, it's just a remark related to the Smash complaints. It looks like they were jealous that other stream stations had projectors and they didn't. I don't even know if the projectors belong to the streamer or if they were borrowing the equipment from someone, streaming logistics are complicated.

If felt like a general shit-show, though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I am legit crying for Chris G right now. This win is for Nelson. Chris has gone through a lot the last couple of years. He deserved this.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Only thing left for me is for Mango to win Smash but he's going to have to go Chris G mode just now in order to do that.

SFV isn't hype for me since the people I want to win are out. Rooting for LI Joe but him winning would be like a college team beating the Patriots.

CO_Andy

This Guilty Gear finals is really weird.

Hearing nothing but the commentators and silencing the crowds is really unhype. So unhype i'm gonna go do something else.

MrDaravon

Fuuuuck, I heard that floe's commentary at barfights last night was ridiculous but crosscounter has their twitch archives behind a paywall, what the fuck. When do they ever even stream? ffs

So even marvel belongs to NYC/East coast now? Hold that West coast. SFV we are the only one in top 8 too. 0 West coast players in there. GG our boy Marlin pie is in there too. West coast where you at?

Thanks. Just started to watch it. wtf is the evo staff thinking?

They mostly fixed it. You can hear crowd noise on in the main stream, though there's a bit of echo to the commentary now.

So even marvel belongs to NYC/East coast now? Hold that West coast. SFV we are the only one in top 8 too. 0 West coast players in there. GG our boy Marlin pie is in there too. West coast where you at?

Doesn't Chris G live in the west coast?

Beats

So, why does Melee get dumped on for taking forever and something like SF doesn't when Top 8 took less time than USF4 last year and it took about the same time the year before that? I see it constantly in the EVO thread.

Melee Top 8
2015 - 2h:29m
2014 - 2h:38m

SF4 Top 8
2015 - 2h:59m
2014 - 2h:36m

So, why does Melee get dumped on for taking forever and something like SF doesn't when Top 8 took less time than USF4 last year and it took about the same time the year before that? I see it constantly in the EVO thread.

Melee Top 8

SF4 Top 8

you know how like a 4 hour lecture in school takes a literal lifetime but you can play videogames for 8 hours without noticing? It's directly related to how interested you are in what's happening

It's just part of the meme, in any case

Melee Top 8

SF4 Top 8

maybe because SF is the last game so there isn't a fanbase scheduled after SF that is complaining

Melee Top 8

SF4 Top 8

I think part of the reason is because each Smash game is normally longer, so in a way it feels longer because of that. USF4 was 3/5 the whole way in both those years while Melee was 2/3 until top 3. And last years USF4 was an anomaly. I think that top 8 had the longest BO5 of all time in the SF4 series between Gamerbee and Infiltration. And the GF(with the delay due to the stick) was probably also the longest of all time for a SF4 GF.

But you made your point. Melee hasn't been that long. It's more about the impatient fans of the last game wanting it to end ASAP. But at the same time, I still think 3/5 that some Melee fans are asking for is too much. That would basically guarantee that Smash takes 3+ hours.

shaowebb

Quick question though...where were the chairs at EVO? I've heard from several different communities that they all had to stand throughout most of the pools and stuff. Can anyone elaborate on this stuff for me?

Tripon

Quick question though...where were the chairs at EVO? I've heard from several different communities that they all had to stand throughout most of the pools and stuff. Can anyone elaborate on this stuff for me?
There was an girls AAU tournament and another large convention running at the same time at EVO. I am guessing the convention center just ran out of chairs.

shaowebb

There was an girls AAU tournament and another large convention running at the same time at EVO. I am guessing the convention center just ran out of chairs.

:|
Welp...that changes my views on things. Playing till 11 at night and standing the whole time then having to get up, change venues and play at 8am for some of the finalists?

Thats ridiculous.

shaowebb

Lol these intro cards for SFV.

Here's a gift for you MOV.

CV5i2Pn.jpg
MEmpYJI.jpg

Can't tell me he wasn't goin for a Shinsuke Nakamura shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom