• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I enjoyed watching LI Joe's matches yesterday. Great show

Hearing about the Smash player who got molested is heartbreaking, and some of the posts in the thread are just infuriating.

Nuu

Banned
What games could be main stage games in Japan that couldn't be in America? Blazblue? Melty Blood? I know games that are very popular in America that aren't popular in Japan (Marvel, MK, KI), but not really sure about vice versa.

Hearing about the Smash player who got molested is heartbreaking, and some of the posts in the thread are just infuriating.

She was actually molested? Last story I read, she managed to push duder off before things got really bad.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What games could be main stage games in Japan that couldn't be in America? Blazblue? Melty Blood? I know games that are very popular in America that aren't popular in Japan (Marvel, MK, KI), but not really sure about vice versa.

Virtua Fighter got 600 entrants at the last Beat Tribe Cup. I'd love to see it at EVO Japan!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Cooperation cup had more than 400 people this year for 3rd Strike.

Nuu

Banned
Is King of Fighters popular in Japan or is that limited to Latin America, Korea, and China?

Virtua Fighter got 600 entrants at the last Beat Tribe Cup. I'd love to see it at EVO Japan!

Didn't realize that Virtua Fighter was still so popular in Japan. At least competitive wise. No idea why Sega won't make a sequel, especially with fighting games being so popular. Maybe because it's 3D and 2D is all the hotness right now?

Cooperation cup had more than 400 people this year for 3rd Strike.

Holy shit. Was this a side tournament fluke type deal, or is Third Strike still a headline game in Japan?

shaowebb

After seeing EVO this year, as hype as its moments were, I really hope that this leads various communities to organize their own Capcom Cup style seasons with official events lined up in cooperation wtih various tournies that treat them well. No seats, many games delayed, not enough projectors forcing dozens to crowd around a monitor...it just seems wrong to call THAT your superbowl event regardless of how flashy the main stage events got on the last day. Id rather have a quality event than a flashy stage even if that stage was absolutely badass.

Several communities are talking about trying to set stuff up to make CEO their big event and lining up seasons now. I honestly hope it happens because as fun as it was, that was too many games competing at the same time.

I really hope folks use that burningmeter site. Its so fucking cool. You can archive stuff so well with it for your tournies and you can setup online tournies and player databases super easy for random new players to show up to. Really Really hope it catches on.

Tripon

She was actually molested? Last story I read, she managed to push duder off before things got really bad.
...what do you think molestion is?

I have to admit, I actually liked watching Nash mirrors. It's a lot of movement and smart reads

it was way better than the Chun mirror, atleast

pizzacat

Banned
We don't need X-Men characters anyways.
We have Inhumans.
10c65289-c4ef-4c3a-8c98-488ea6bf4d21.jpg

Armaly

Two steps forward and one step backward: feels like they've neutered the event a bit just to appease our eSport overlords at ESPN.

No speech from Ono this year, no air shoryuken, and no award ceremony other than the top spot.
I was there. There was an air shoryuken before top 8 started.

Nuu

Banned
After seeing EVO this year, as hype as its moments were, I really hope that this leads various communities to organize their own Capcom Cup style seasons with official events lined up in cooperation wtih various tournies that treat them well. No seats, many games delayed, not enough projectors forcing dozens to crowd around a monitor...it just seems wrong to call THAT your superbowl event regardless of how flashy the main stage events got on the last day. Id rather have a quality event than a flashy stage even if that stage was absolutely badass.

Several communities are talking about trying to set stuff up to make CEO their big event and lining up seasons now. I honestly hope it happens because as fun as it was, that was too many games competing at the same time.

I really hope folks use that burningmeter site. Its so fucking cool. You can archive stuff so well with it for your tournies and you can setup online tournies and player databases super easy for random new players to show up to. Really Really hope it catches on.

My main game, Skullgirls, abandoned EVO and while that was a bit controversial in the beginning, things are much better. We are able to focus our turnout to select few tournaments and really make them count. We managed to have over 10,000 viewers for our SonicFox EC vs the World tournament. At EVO we would have been lucky to reach half that number.

Again, I feel it would be best if games spread out. Like EVO for the "main" classic style fighting games, an event for brawlers, and an event dedicated to "side" games like Skullgirls, Vampire Savior, and Blazblue. Combining your post with mine, it seems that this is partially already happening.

...what do you think molestion is?

Actual touching of the "sensitive" body parts. The story I read was that the guy was reaching and she screamed for help and another guy broke things off before anything happened. That's last I read, and knowing how the internet handles these situations I wouldn't be surprised if it is an inaccurate rendition.

No, Cooperation Cup is a 3rd Strike 5 vs 5 event. It had 90 teams this year.

I remember when EVO used team based Third Strike in a last effort to keep it going. Glad to see that it worked in Japan at least.

Line_HTX

I still can't believe this is a real thing that happened on national TV.

For those that also watched ESPN2, how did Tasty Steve describe EVO Moment 37?

CnnnWQFWIAAxB_z.jpg

Love the juxtoposition between the EVO logo and NFL news at the bottom, triGasm

mbpm1

I still can't believe this is a real thing that happened on national TV.

For those that also watched ESPN2, how did Tasty Steve describe EVO Moment 37?

CnnnWQFWIAAxB_z.jpg

Love the juxtoposition between the EVO logo and NFL news at the bottom, triGasm

I'm glad Steve got to be on TV. He's a genuine guy

Apart from the lineup, I hope Evo Japan has its own flavor from normal evo. Things like head to head setups (jpn arcade). There probably won't be any artificial arcade type set up, but I can dream. Always loved the sbo style main stage.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't having prize money at tournaments illegal in Japan? How would Evo handle that?
Well, they don't need to have prize money.

Or they do this weird "win gold bars and exchange them for money at this totally not affiliated booth right over here"-thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wish I had caught more of EVO than I had a chance to watch, but it was pretty thoroughly enjoyable what I did watch. Marvel was rock solid as it is every year and SFV made a great first appearance although I was watching Top 8 with a friend who has never watched FGC stuff before and I could tell he wanted a bit more character diversity in Top 8 (even though SF is usually really good with that).

Watching Li Joe fulfill his childhood dreams and seeing the reactions from people who saw SF for the first time on ESPN2 and finding out they like watching it has been putting me on the edge of tears.

I'm convinced Capcom can handle it if they're willing to give the game a decent development budget. The Marvel brand is undoubtedly a thousand fold more popular than Resident Evil, and since that's the case they're probably more inclined not to undercut the experience.

Also it would be Eighting and not Capcom that would handle most of the actual development.

The problem is that the guy who designed the MVC3 combat engine works for SNK now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom