• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also forgot to add, I'm disappointed during Bang the Machine, none of you guys joined in on

GET DAT MCRIB JOEY!

edit: The command center were telling people saying that since it's some tradition. Just seeing Mr. Wizard randomly walk for 5 minutes as an intro was just perfect. Shit was too funny to pass up.

Everyone should watch the documentary. I really liked it. Big props to Mr. Wizard, John Choi, and the Producer (I forgot his name) for showing it at Evo again.

notworksafe

I agree. Lifetime ban all Smash from FGC tournies and EVO, those people can't be trusted.

Also it'd probably help the smell. Jesus Christ it was like a hot asshole in that venue and the hallway outside. Disgusting and shameful.

Tripon

I agree. Lifetime ban all Smash from FGC tournies and EVO, those people can't be trusted.

Also it'd probably help the smell. Jesus Christ it was like a hot asshole in that venue and the hallway outside. Disgusting and shameful.

The smell was so damn bad.

There was an area in the convention center that was okay, and an area that clearly was not okay.

Tripon

Even if we get Capcom Cup on ESPN again, it won't be live. I'm assuming you're American, but if you aren't then let me inform you that we have this thing called Football that's hugely popular and dominates the weekends from Fall till Winter time. And Capcom Cup is in December during Football season so their is no chance in hell it makes it on ESPN or ESPN2 live. Maybe ESPN3, ESPNU, or maybe a prerecorded broadcast show on a weekday.

I'm a huge Football fan myself and I'd still love to see Capcom Cup top 8(which is all I think we'd get) live on ESPN again but I doubt it happens.

Are you saying they'll use EVO Japan as a last chance qualifier for CPT Asia Finals? That really takes away the prestige of winning a event like what EVO Japan is suppose to be. My only other guess is that EVO Japan is used to kick off CPT 2017 in March. It can't be too close to either the original EVO or Capcom Cup so I think that would be a good time.

I can't wait to see what kind of numbers we'll see at EVO Japan. Obviously I'm not expecting it to surpass the OG EVO. But all those times they had 500 or 800 man team tournaments in small venues for SF4 or Tekken I always wondered how big they could get if they had a real Major(with no player cap) with multiple games like we do in the US.

Yeah, if EVO Japan is happening this year, I think CPT Asia finals will be at EVO Japan. I would imagine it will be similar to what Redbull is doing with CPT America finals, with a large open bracket on Friday and Saturday, and top 8 on Sunday.

Marz

I love going to game tournaments and combining my cheesy smegma with the fragrances of others. Dont ruin it for others just because you don't like it.

Bizazedo

Having an Evo Japan still feels weird. It's like, we have a Super Bowl...!

...and now we have two Super Bowls! Feels like they somehow take a little bit away from the other.

Ignore me, just rambling.

Numb

This mod is now ILLEGAL.

DS6d7C6.jpg
Thought someone made ibuki thick
Better for her tbh

Hey everybody. I'm looking for an FGC podcast and I thought this might be the best place to ask. A focus on SFV, and maybe some well known fgc members participating would be a huge plus to me. Thanks!

Riposte

Hyuga just got sentenced with a 1 year ban from all Smash tournaments. Personally i think that's too light for an attempted rape.

Putting aside the exact measurement of what would be the correct weight of punishment, I don't think it's the collective tournament organizers (to whatever point they are, or should be, a single entity) responsibility to execute criminal/penal laws for actual crimes, especially those that didn't actually happen on their grounds. What's important is that they take a firm stance against it to prevent future instances, not whether a particular individual gets their just desserts (or onlookers have their bloodlust sated), perhaps in lieu of other punishments. A year ban along with a stern warning against any future problems succeeds in doing the former. I think to get angry at TOs or community leaders is taking it a step too far when they done their actual job fine; get angry at Hyuga instead and don't forgive him even if he does come back and is, ideally, repentant. Whether one wants justice, revenge, or rehabilitation against or for an offender, that's ultimately role of the legal system.

Kalamari

Hey everybody. I'm looking for an FGC podcast and I thought this might be the best place to ask. A focus on SFV, and maybe some well known fgc members participating would be a huge plus to me. Thanks!

Aris's podcast is good, but it's more of a twitchtv show rather than an actual podcast you can download and listen to on an audio player.

Marz

That doesn't make it OK. Why should entire swaths of the Internet being completely unusable by anyone that doesn't fit a fairly narrow profile?

How do you get "entire swaths of the internet" out of my simple question?

I don't look at Twitch chat myself theirs no point.

Kumubou

It's a sentiment that I see for a number of venues. If the solution for ignoring absolute shitheads in Twitch chat is to just ignore them, what happens when they start harassing you on other venues such as Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc.? Should people be allowed to be the absolute worst they can be everywhere because there's "nothing that can be done"?

Neoxon

If the ratings are good, we should get CPT Finals on ESPN2 right?
I hope Joe makes it to the Finals.
As I mentioned in the EVO thread (that someone else brought up here), football & basketball season will be in full swing at the time of the Capcom Cup (more so football), so it may be a bit difficult for ESPN to squeeze in the Capcom Cup live this December. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they show SFV at EVO again, next year.

broz0rs

I think this may be the best time to try EVO Japan. Not because of SFV, but it seems that the decline of arcades has allowed gaming to move beyond it and somehow creep onto the mainstream. They're starting to use the term "e-sports" and TV shows are starting to invite gamers from the Japanese FGC.

A notably well done show that aired in Japan recently was an episode of "Sashipedia" with host Rino Sashihara of AKB48 (or HKT48) fame. The episode featured ChocoBlanka and Momochi. They talked about how gaming allowed them to earn a full time living, as well as their "Shinobism" classes.

Here's the episode: Sashipedia 160702 (sorry, no English subtitles. Japanese language only)

The ChocoBlanka segment starts at 12:30

I hope they do EVO Japan in the winter. Would be easier for me to go and make a vacation out of it.

I do have these thoughts though that they dilute EVO if there is more than 1 of them.

It will be nice to have a nice big event like we have in the US in a bigger venue. Hopefully they focus on different games as well in addition to the SFV.

ShinMaruku

Another issue is if the chat is too large you can't read the chat because it's all spamming and people trying to be clever when they are not.

Most people are often curious to their reception online. Not even celebrities who are used to the spotlight can resist it.
It's human nature to look to what their reception is online, but it should also unfortunatly be said that you will see some debased shit and it's the negative stuff you are wired to see and that is what makes looking often times a negative. It's a complex issue that humanity has no evolved out of yet.

It's a sentiment that I see for a number of venues. If the solution for ignoring absolute shitheads in Twitch chat is to just ignore them, what happens when they start harassing you on other venues such as Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc.? Should people be allowed to be the absolute worst they can be everywhere because there's "nothing that can be done"?
I wonder what can be done, that would be fair and impartial and what can be done to correct that negativity issue. One thing I could suggest is when a chat is that large you segment out the chat so it can be readable and not run at a insane pace, then you can also better moderate it and then you can have a good approach at the people being terrible. Sometimes these are people with issues and it's leaking out online, the fact that they are children or manchildren and just like acting the fool. It's a massive problem and as history shows most people really don't want to look at something uncomfortable until it becomes a grave issue. Social inertia if you will..

The difference now though is that there's a much stronger eastern presence and even international as we saw with other games, much more than ever before.
Yeah the internationals in 2010 were Tokido, ksk, infiltration, laugh, gamerbee, rb, ryan hart, daigo, and I can't remember who else.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So, were there no special sticks given out as awards for the top EVO finishers? Shame that there weren't any this year, I always thought those sticks were the coolest, as cool or cooler than the trophy itself.

I guess the FGC needs a Markman-like person inside Hori or Razer to make these things happen.

I'll do my best to make special things happen next year :D

I think this may be the best time to try EVO Japan. Not because of SFV, but it seems that the decline of arcades has allowed gaming to move beyond it and somehow creep onto the mainstream. They're starting to use the term "e-sports" and TV shows are starting to invite gamers from the Japanese FGC.

A notably well done show that aired in Japan recently was an episode of "Sashipedia" with host Rino Sashihara of AKB48 (or HKT48) fame. The episode featured ChocoBlanka and Momochi. They talked about how gaming allowed them to earn a full time living, as well as their "Shinobism" classes.

Here's the episode: Sashipedia 160702 (sorry, no English subtitles. Japanese language only)

The ChocoBlanka segment starts at 12:30

Daigo was on Life Up 2 days ago
https://youtu.be/X6kcw2-Ieqg?t=15m20s

Tokido on bizstreet 2 weeks ago?
https://youtu.be/PozWDUvLPAo

Daigo, Tokido, Momochi, and Choco get on tv frequently exposing the idea of pro gaming to the Japanese public. All are good for the image of a gamer. Tokido is a tokyo university graduate which is highly respected. Momochi and Choco are a married couple.

Putting aside the exact measurement of what would be the correct weight of punishment, I don't think it's the collective tournament organizers (to whatever point they are, or should be, a single entity) responsibility to execute criminal/penal laws for actual crimes, especially those that didn't actually happen on their grounds. What's important is that they take a firm stance against it to prevent future instances, not whether a particular individual gets their just desserts (or onlookers have their bloodlust sated), perhaps in lieu of other punishments. A year ban along with a stern warning against any future problems succeeds in doing the former. I think to get angry at TOs or community leaders is taking it a step too far when they done their actual job fine; get angry at Hyuga instead and don't forgive him even if he does come back and is, ideally, repentant. Whether one wants justice, revenge, or rehabilitation against or for an offender, that's ultimately role of the legal system.
Tournament organizers have a responsibility to make sure their attendees feel welcomed and safe. What kind of message does it send when a year down the line Hyuga comes back and they're just like "yeah you're cool"?

Lulubop

Crocodile

So I was out basically all weekend and missed EVO. What are the positive highlights? The matches I should try to find on Youtube?

Also I hear ChrisG finally won Marvel. Does it mean its now dead?
#Kappa

Tournament organizers have a responsibility to make sure their attendees feel welcomed and safe. What kind of message does it send when a year down the line Hyuga comes back and they're just like "yeah you're cool"?

He's basically in FGC jail for a year. That's longer than he'd be in jail before coming back to society if this incident was reported to the police.

Not only did he won, he also became the one true UMvC God, even in EVO results:
Code:
		2012		2013		2014		2015		2016
Chris		3rd		5th		2nd		-		1st
Justin		7th		2nd		1st		-		7th
Champ		1st		5th		3rd		-		-

Too bad he won with Marvel at its flabbiest point.

BUT he did wash KBR though. I remember the last time they played KBR won pretty convincingly. I feel KBR flubbed a lot of opportunities he got in the first set and in the 2nd set it was a bopping.

pixelish

There are a few FGC-related podcasts every Tuesday evening.

Daily Dot's Best of III (twitch.tv/dailydot) focuses on Capcom Pro Tour and they always have a notable FGC member on as an interview guest.

Capcomfighter's Capcom Pro Talk (twitch.tv/capcomfighter) hosted by Mike Ross and Floe. Although they have a segment on recent CPT events, you watch for the silly banter between Mike and Floe as well as them giving away free Twitch Turbos when they lose to online players.

Following straight after Capcom Pro Talk is Ultrachen TV's Tuesday Show (twitch.tv/ultrachentv) which has a very in-depth discussion about the FGC as a whole. They will cover recent tournament, game news and community news.

And on Thursday night, there's ATP Live (twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle) hosted by Aris and friends. Although not as in depth as The Tuesday Show, you should watch just for the bitch callings.

Riposte

My point is that they are doing that, even if it is less punitive than people may want. When (if) he comes back, they are not going to say "yeah you're cool", as they have already laid out a now standardized punishment that says "don't ever do something a fraction as stupid again", with likely everyone watching and distrusting him for the rest of his Smash career or what's left of it. That's just as, if not more, important than the one year ban. Unless you are cynical enough to think people will try to use "first offense" in such a nefarious way, it basically amounts to the same thing in practice: putting their foot down. Whether justice is being served is separate matter that isn't really the role of TOs and such. To pin that on them, perhaps due to a lack of police involvement, is misguided and it's unfair to get angry at them when they've done their job to send the right message and not the job of the legal system to administer justice. EDIT: And to clear, I think he should face the full extent of the law and face a punishment that's far worse than getting banned from a competitive scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom