• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Oh wow...apparently Meitenkun's moves get stronger the longer you charge them. This should be fun! Imagine if all charge charactes were like that...man Guile would be ridiculous.

Hey everybody. I'm looking for an FGC podcast and I thought this might be the best place to ask. A focus on SFV, and maybe some well known fgc members participating would be a huge plus to me. Thanks!

I really like The Jump-In Podcast. They haven't recorded one in a few weeks though. I guess it's hard to get their schedules to match due to their geographical differences. But that's what I love about the podcast. The hosts are Logansama (UK), ShadyK (USA), and Kim1234 (Japan).
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/jump-in-street-fighter-podcast/id1090286985?mt=2

Why do you bother looking at the chat?

Well, I'm a young trans woman and as soon as I sat down I realized "Hmm, I wonder how many people are tossing slurs at me right now", so,

That doesn't make it OK. Why should entire swaths of the Internet being completely unusable by anyone that doesn't fit a fairly narrow profile?

How do you get "entire swaths of the internet" out of my simple question?

I don't look at Twitch chat myself theirs no point.

I'm glad for you there's no point! I'm glad you don't have to worry about it! Knowing I was called an array of slurs actively affected my entire weekend, so, you know, Kumubou is right in that this was Very Bad to put it simply. And then seeing 11 and a half minutes worth of what was tossed at me? Again, I'm glad most people don't have to go through that!

It's a sentiment that I see for a number of venues. If the solution for ignoring absolute shitheads in Twitch chat is to just ignore them, what happens when they start harassing you on other venues such as Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc.? Should people be allowed to be the absolute worst they can be everywhere because there's "nothing that can be done"?

Yep, the fact that I was told that mods wanted to turn on sub mode, wanted to turn on slow mode, but WEREN'T ALLOWED TO, yeah, it makes it unsafe for some people to not even be on stream.

Whenever it is, I'll be there. <3 glorious nippon.

Me and Dadwicks were saying you'd probably find your way out to Evo Japan, lmao.

pixelish

evo espn ratings is out

Sports TV Ratings &#8207;@SportsTVRatings 50m
Yankees/Red Sox averaged 2.066 million on ESPN.

EVO World Championships: 201K on ESPN2.

we did pretty good if you compare evo ratings to the ratings for heroes of the dorm

AceKingOffsuit &#8207;@acekingoffsuit 6m
AceKingOffsuit Retweeted Sports TV Ratings
For reference, this is aprx. double what Heroes of the Dorm pulled in. #EVO2016 #CPT2016 #SFV

shaowebb

There is a reason folks are called steam "Monsters". Anonymity breeds horrible things. Even if they have a user name displayed to many its a case of "well...I'm just words on screen so its not like anyone can DO anything if I get loud and offensive."

People talking on the internet rarely bother with normal everyday civility sadly. Many go online just to find safe targets to vent any pent up frustrations at. I kind of hope Pokemon Go forces more folks to interact outside the house to recondition them to what its like to behave themselves properly.

Line_HTX

For the severity of the crime, why is that not a permanent banishment? This only makes things worse if there is no zero tolerance on this shit. Fuck that guy, simply being drunk is NO EXCUSE and should never be a flimsy attempt to weasel out of a fucking crime. Some of the posters trying to appeal to emotions ought to get a concussion.

CurlyW

Does CO_Andy know that NeoGaf isn't Reddit and you don't get karma points from making new threads every time there's a sexual harassment incident in a niche video gaming community?

My point is that they are doing that, even if it is less punitive than people may want. When (if) he comes back, they are not going to say "yeah you're cool", as they have already laid out a now standardized punishment that says "don't ever do something a fraction as stupid again", with likely everyone watching and distrusting him for the rest of his Smash career or what's left of it. That's just as, if not more, important than the one year ban. Unless you are cynical enough to think people will try to use "first offense" in such a nefarious way, it basically amounts to the same thing in practice: putting their foot down. Whether justice is being served is separate matter that isn't really the role of TOs and such. To pin that on them, perhaps due to a lack of police involvement, is misguided and it's unfair to get angry at them when they've done their job to send the right message and not the job of the legal system to administer justice. EDIT: And to clear, I think he should face the full extent of the law and face a punishment that's far worse than getting banned from a competitive scene.
It is absolutely the role of TOs to ensure that their events are made welcoming to all attendees. In this particular sense the issue isn't about justice, but about perception.

To draw a comparison, last year Zach Jesse, a pro Magic player, was discovered to have been a convicted rapist. Even though he was undoubtedly a case of the criminal reform system working as intended, even though the method in which this information came to light was super suspect, he was still banned from competitive play for life. In the end he's still a player who would show up on camera and in other forms of coverage.

Line_HTX

So I was out basically all weekend and missed EVO. What are the positive highlights? The matches I should try to find on Youtube?

Also I hear ChrisG finally won Marvel. Does it mean its now dead?
#Kappa

Tekken 7 had a really great Top 8, and Poongko was nothing but smiles and had the time of his life.

Pokken looked like doo-doo to me.

Morrigan winning EVO finally means I can stop caring. It was way long overdue. :p

I read some analysis from somebody who slightly abused his position in the TV ratings industry to grab some numbers and he indicated that the EVO broadcast performed well enough that we'll probably see more of it in the future

Even if we get Capcom Cup on ESPN again, it won't be live. I'm assuming you're American, but if you aren't then let me inform you that we have this thing called Football that's hugely popular and dominates the weekends from Fall till Winter time. And Capcom Cup is in December during Football season so their is no chance in hell it makes it on ESPN or ESPN2 live. Maybe ESPN3, ESPNU, or maybe a prerecorded broadcast show on a weekday.

I'm a huge Football fan myself and I'd still love to see Capcom Cup top 8(which is all I think we'd get) live on ESPN again but I doubt it happens.

As far as actually showing live NFL games, ESPN only has the Monday night game.

On Sunday, sure they have lots of NFL news/recap programming, but that fits on ESPN. I'm not really sure there's anything special on ESPN2 on Sunday nights in the fall, am I wrong? I don't think a Capcom Cup show on ESPN2 would necessarily be out of the question.

But there's also the issue of whether ESPN2 would want Capcom Cup. Capcom Cup is a tougher sell than EVO. It doesn't have the prestige, the history, the number of entrants that EVO does. There's no chance of the Cinderella story. It gets about half(?) the Twitch viewership of EVO. But, maybe if ESPN were really impressed with EVO's rating, they may want to double down on SFV programming,

Line_HTX

I read some analysis from somebody who slightly abused his position in the TV ratings industry to grab some numbers and he indicated that the EVO broadcast performed well enough that we'll probably see more of it in the future

The King of Iron Fist Tournament 2016 should be super late at night!

;P

I'm not sure if they can do a full day's worth of Capcom Cup since the NFL regular season is going down the last quarter stretch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
But there's also the issue of whether ESPN2 would want Capcom Cup. Capcom Cup is a tougher sell than EVO. It doesn't have the prestige, the history, the number of entrants that EVO does. There's no chance of the Cinderella story. It gets about half(?) the Twitch viewership of EVO. But, maybe if ESPN were really impressed with EVO's rating, they may want to double down on SFV programming,

I don't really think any of those would be a concern, since the quality of play should be just as high and it's not like EVO's legacy was very relevant to a TV audience in the first place.

They definitely wouldn't broadcast the whole thing though. CapCup would probably have to be split into a preliminary day and a top 8 finals day to accommodate.

Not only did he won, he also became the one true UMvC God, even in EVO results:
Code:
		2012		2013		2014		2015		2016
Chris		3rd		5th		2nd		-		1st
Justin		7th		2nd		1st		-		7th
Champ		1st		5th		3rd		-		-

For what it's worth, in 2015 ChrisG got 9th (and eliminated Justin) while Justin and Champ didn't make top 16.

Tripon

ESPN doesn't have Sunday night football, it has Monday Night football. NBA also is on multiple channels. Regular season of college football should end by then and bowl season wouldnt start until mid Dec.

College basketball should also start in Dec, but nobody really starts watching until Feb.

Basically, Capcom Cup as some sort of counter programming would actually be smart.

Yet Chris G was able to beat him in 2016 while not playing UMvC3 nearly as much and dropping every single TAC combo he went for in the set!

Chris never hits infinites consistently.

People keep underestimating KBR and not bothering to play the matchup, or not playing it well enough, and he exploits that well. On Sunday Chris actually ran away properly and just barely kept Morrigan from getting chased down by Hulk. I don't think I've seen him put that much work into her movement before. It wasn't as easy of a win as he might have made it look.

Line_HTX

ESPN doesn't have Sunday night football, it has Monday Night football. NBA also is on multiple channels. Regular season of college football should end by then and bowl season wouldnt start until mid Dec.

College basketball should also start in Dec, but nobody really starts watching until Feb.

Basically, Capcom Cup as some sort of counter programming would actually be smart.

Actually. you might be right. Capcom Cup will be what, December 4th or 11th? College football is finished, the NBA is mostly Wednesday and Friday nights, and NASCAR should be finished before that time too, and really those Sundays don't have much of anything the entire afternoon and evening like you said. The only thing I remember ever airing on ESPN while the NFL games were underway were just endless Bowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom