• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

shaowebb

Well. Looks like it's hori, qanba,or those easy to mod mayflashes now for sticks. I only really trust hori. But I mod all my shit anyhow so as long as the pcb ain't shit It'll be Sanwa denshi or seimitsu loaded anyhow. Heh I change out pcb too on some sticks.

Hope the employees land on their feet somewhere but largely I don't think it'll change a thing in the fgc.
Many were already switching to customs or other brands or converters this gen anyways.

Well. Looks like it's hori, qanba,or those easy to mod mayflashes now for sticks. I only really trust hori. But I mod all my shit anyhow so as long as the pcb ain't shit It'll be Sanwa denshi or seimitsu loaded anyhow. Heh I change out pcb too on some sticks.

Reminder that I picked up a stick (actually a 5-console hitbox) from Marvelous Customs recently and they did a great job and made a really beautiful stick that's waaaay more comfy than my OG Mad Catz TE. They're probably a little on the pricey side but you're getting your shit custom made. Anyway I recommend em.

Might not be for everyone but I really like the clear acrylic look and it's an amazingly comfortable material for the top surface of the controller.

Wr7RfZg.jpghttp:

BvMwxMU.jpg

Cool controller ParallaxScroll. Are you comfortable with it yet?

idk I don't play video games lol. Not much anyway. I've mostly just played a little NES on it so far.

I was gonna use this "free sfv weekend" to try learning the hitbox a bit but the free beta doesn't even include training mode so fuck that.

Gonna probably get Marvel on steam at some point and try learning it on that.

Edit: Part of the reason I don't play games so much any more is that my hands and wrists get numbness/pain if I play for too long, at least on pad. I think 30 years of nonstop action gaming might have fucked my hands up a bit. I'm hoping that maybe the hitbox will end up being more ergonomic so I don't run into those issues. I haven't used it for long enough to be able to tell yet.

shaowebb

Reminder that I picked up a stick (actually a 5-console hitbox) from Marvelous Customs recently and they did a great job and made a really beautiful stick that's waaaay more comfy than my OG Mad Catz TE. They're probably a little on the pricey side but you're getting your shit custom made. Anyway I recommend em.

Might not be for everyone but I really like the clear acrylic look and it's an amazingly comfortable material for the top surface of the controller.
Sounds neat but I just bought a stick to mod. I tried using car vinyl red mirror chrome once on a stick but it just never yield good results. To much heat involved in stretching It. I still wanna attempt mirrored metallic finishing a stick so I'm wantin to try to gild a stick using leafing. Id kinda be down to dap chisel patterns into some brass,buff it to a mirrored shine and replace my top plate with an armored one with textures in it. Gotta be careful because a non smooth top could suck if I layout the patterns in the wrong spots but the palm rest area of the case should be all I touch anyhow and not the top plate.

Sticks are fun to tweak. Results vary though. Do test runs.

notworksafe

He has a point. I often skip watching pools.
He doesn't have a point at all. Small to medium open tournaments are what made this scene and are what keeps it alive and thriving.

He's a shortsighted moron who wants to get as much money as possible for himself while fucking overcome future of the competitive scene.

Tripon

There is no point for FChamp. If he thinks he doesn't want to go to open tournaments, just don't sign up for them.

Nobody is forcing him to enter.

idk I don't play video games lol. Not much anyway. I've mostly just played a little NES on it so far.

I was gonna use this "free sfv weekend" to try learning the hitbox a bit but the free beta doesn't even include training mode so fuck that.

Gonna probably get Marvel on steam at some point and try learning it on that.

Edit: Part of the reason I don't play games so much any more is that my hands and wrists get numbness/pain if I play for too long, at least on pad. I think 30 years of nonstop action gaming might have fucked my hands up a bit. I'm hoping that maybe the hitbox will end up being more ergonomic so I don't run into those issues. I haven't used it for long enough to be able to tell yet.

NES controller is the worst ergonomics wise for an adult. I can feel my hand cramping.

I still want to consistently get fo-footdive corner loop combo with Doom.
What is funny is that I am filling my competitive drive towards Overwatch vs. SF.

He doesn't have a point at all. Small to medium open tournaments are what made this scene and are what keeps it alive and thriving.

I didn't say I agree with FChamp. I said that he has a point in that a lot of people don't want to watch pools.

NES controller is the worst ergonomics wise for an adult. I can feel my hand cramping.

I meant I've been playing NES (mostly just Zelda) on hitbox, so I can at least teach my fingers to remember which direction is which. Haven't really tried to learn the hitbox in a fighting game yet.

Village

He's a shortsighted moron who wants to get as much money as possible for himself while fucking overcome future of the competitive scene.

This, not everyone has to watch every tournament. If all tournaments are invitationals how in the hell are you going to invite new players? Recommendations from WNF, gotta get your parents to sign your permission slip? Nah, people show and do well consistently. That is a completely short sighted " fuck you I got mine" and at the same time a Triple H esque " I don't want anyone to usurp " me attitude that isn't healthy for any scene at all.

Dahbomb

Open tournaments should never go away but I feel that there should be more open qualifiers that lead to the actual big tournaments.

Invitationals are still inherently unfair and there is obvious bias at work. FChamp probably talking that talk right now because he got invited but he won't be talking like that if there were a dozen invitationals in a row where he wasn't invited.

shaowebb

My Qanba Drone is in. Has an easy access port to the screw for the stick should I wanna change nobs. Buttons feel a little loose. I'll test its current responsiveness. If its cool I'll hold off on buttons. If not I'll pickup some sanwas online to pop in. Worst case scenario is I test it using jump vs my other stick and find its got delay and have to get a PCB. Time to test!

Kalamari

"Top" players not wanting open tournaments may just be scared of not getting out of pools.

And we smash now.

I agree, FChamp is just afraid, his job probably limits his practice time. So he's quivering in his overpriced sneakers.

I love watching pools, although if the commentary is poor it's a bit of a turnoff. Pools can be really entertaining to watch.

He only has a point if you've never attended a tournament before and don't care if the overall scene dies.

Also, if you're implying that I've never attended a tournament, I'm not currently an active competitor but I used to TO locals for the small scene that my tiny bumfuck town in the middle of nowhere had.

Hyun Sai

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that something like that is virtually impossible in SFV.

I'm conflicted as well, but I think it can happen with some yolo Uriens.

That being said, even I could recognize the yolo DP players and never finishing my links for free punish. Not to mention all those sweeps non punished as well. That Rufus player killed himself.

Dahbomb

I'm conflicted as well, but I think it can happen with some yolo Uriens.

That being said, even I could recognize the yolo DP players and never finishing my links for free punish. Not to mention all those sweeps non punished as well. That Rufus player killed himself.
That's not going to happen because A) DPs don't have invincibility anymore and B) DPs lead to crush counter on recovery so if the DP gets punished even once then that's generally lights outs.

In addition, SFV execution is much easier so you are less likely to drop links and then get hit by a mashed DP. Even if you drop a combo, the DP might get stuffed anyway.

I think in SFV a yolo player can win through jumps, dash in grabs and random CC move mashing out in neutral.

Hyun Sai

That's not going to happen because A) DPs don't have invincibility anymore and B) DPs lead to crush counter on recovery so if the DP gets punished even once then that's generally lights outs.

In addition, SFV execution is much easier so you are less likely to drop links and then get hit by a mashed DP. Even if you drop a combo, the DP might get stuffed anyway.

I think in SFV a yolo player can win through jumps, dash in grabs and random CC move mashing out in neutral.

That' why I was talking about Urien, many players don't punish efficiency the Ex headbutt, random tackles and knees. It would be another style of match for sure ^^

I love watching pools. Seeing new faces and strats and the random wacky player who bops a well known name. This isn't the nba where game 16 doesn't matter much in the scheme of things when there are 82 games overall.

Daigo getting washed by some no-name from wisconsin in pools is what makes every fight interesting

I love watching pools. Seeing new faces and strats and the random wacky player who bops a well known name. This isn't the nba where game 16 doesn't matter much in the scheme of things when there are 82 games overall.

Yeah I have enjoyed watching pools a lot. They can also be pretty boring sometimes. I don't really like watching sloppy play and you tend to see a decent amount of that in pools.

You never know when a top player could run into shinakuma666 and get blown up.

Thank you Ultradavid for passing that info on to us btw

I totally disagree with Champ/Ross. Phase out open tournaments? Wat. How will new talent even come up if gatekeeping/old boys club is in place.

There can be a mix, but open (in person) tournaments are the soul of FGC. I don't want them ever phased out.

Maybe one day, fighting games will have that top tier online infrastructure where people can come up there and move on to invitationals. But still, fuck that.

And I like watching pools. Not all the time, mind you. Sometimes I am not in the mood. But I like that it's there to watch. It's there for the community, the players. So their groups can see them playing and get in on the experience.

Fchamp is tired of mixing with the pool players

C8MTz_2UIAA4Mqd.jpg

I agree with Miguel Ross. Open brackets bring out the future talents. These invitational tournaments are fun events but will not grow the community. Ryan's type of thinking is so dumb lol. Shrink a already niche playerbase even more. Because of open brackets you discover people like knuckle du.

Top Bottom