• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

CPS2

I'd need to keep that time and date website open all the time if you actually start doing topics on set days. #fromthefuture

Kumubou

These are the kinds of things fighting games have the potential to do for people.
I know that personally, the greater FGC really helped me become who I am now -- for better or worse (but mostly better). It really helped me deal with some rather serious issues... maybe they would have been addressed in other avenues, but that would be in another life.

Hestia or Kancolle. Choose your cancer.

RIP
I'll take the ship girls -- at least they can float in water and blow stuff up.

Kimosabae

Banned
MKX looks dope but I hate the timing. I really wanted to see Americans squarely focused on SF this year. Rice-Eater might have been right: Capcom Cup will be hype-less if it's just the Japanese and Louffy running trains on everyone. ESL might have screwed everything up

Looks like we're done here KidASeven, the age of GAF SF ends once again. So begins the age of Mohrtal.

iDfo1io9pUanG.gif

As long as Daigo is alive there is hope.

MKX looks dope but I hate the timing. I really wanted to see Americans squarely focused on SF this year. Rice-Eater might have been right: Capcom Cup will be hype-less if it's just the Japanese and Louffy running trains on everyone. ESL might have screwed everything up

That was still going to happen even without MKX

Kumubou

The thing the community at large needed more than anything was Capcom getting some actual competition in the space. (Since they seem largely incapable of growing things on their own accord.) Too bad I expect them to fold like a cheap suit if the MKX hype can sustain itself.

Dahbomb

Capcom is not going to shrug about a new game beating out a damn near 7 year old game. They are concentrated on SFV at the moment.

And all this talk about "MKX dethroning SF4" is hilarious to me.

Capcom is not going to shrug about a new game beating out a damn near 7 year old game. They are concentrated on SFV at the moment.

And all this talk about "MKX dethroning SF4" is hilarious to me.

Yo SFV needs atleast 5 ways for people to fight the AI. including a story mode or else they will lose their casual buyers even more. But honestly no matter how good SF turns out it wont be able to hang with MKX sales wise.

Dahbomb

Eh... Capcom will make plenty of money with all the re-releases and expansions they will put out for SFV. They aren't really all that concerned about beating MKX in sales.

zlatko

Banned
Yo SFV needs atleast 5 ways for people to fight the AI. including a story mode or else they will lose their casual buyers even more. But honestly no matter how good SF turns out it wont be able to hang with MKX sales wise.

SF introduces fatalities.

#megaton

Dlent

While MKX is bigger than both games, MK9 and Injustice were easily more popular than SF4 the first couple weeks of their release. I think it'll end up being the most popular NRS game by far, but it isn't going to take over the FGC. Honestly, I worry about the longevity of any game with netcode this bad. Single player content might put the game high on a pedestal above every other game right now, but that will just be a happy memory once everyone finishes with it.

Yo the NLBC mk stream was funny. Some people were getting upset that players weren't performing fatalities after each match. Apparently fatalities what makes MK streams fun to watch.........

As a follower of competitive play, I'd prefer if SF5 competed with MKX in terms of game speed, excitement, interesting types of moves, and new characters/revitalized veterans before content.
i'm already aware they've already won on the netcode front

of course, there's no reason a storied franchise with console manufacturer backing shouldn't be able to have both

As a follower of competitive play, I'd prefer if SF5 competed with MKX in terms of game speed, excitement, interesting types of moves, and new characters/revitalized veterans before content.
i'm already aware they've already won on the netcode front

of course, there's no reason a storied franchise with console manufacturer backing shouldn't be able to have both

True man competition in the industry is always good. Will force Capcom to make a good product.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161201056]Why do you think I enter TCG tournaments instead of fighting games? :)[/QUOTE]

Because you get free fruit snacks at magic tournaments and you have Star Wars marathons.

guys! remember when P4A was bigger than MARVEL?! OMG Persona taking over fighting games!?
for a week or two

But wait! Remember when MK9 was bigger than MARVEL and SF4?! until that pdp tournament if that.

new popular IP fighting games always get big the first few weeks. Let me know if MKX still holds those numbers 3 months from now. MKX is just refreshing for now.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
iDfo1io9pUanG.gif

As long as Daigo is alive there is hope.

lol KidA, Daygo Umahara to the rescue

guys! remember when P4A was bigger than MARVEL?! OMG Persona taking over fighting games!?
for a week or two

But wait! Remember when MK9 was bigger than MARVEL and SF4?! until that pdp tournament if that.

new popular IP fighting games always get big the first few weeks. Let me know if MKX still holds those numbers 3 months from now. MKX is just refreshing for now.

basically but i hope it doesn't die down to the point where its a hardcore few that still passionately play the game. it'd be nice to see some variety, i really liked the stream tonight with MKX, the game is looking nice.

Malice215

MK is getting its time in the sun, but you had 15000 people watching a 15 man tournament which will fizzle out quickly. What people need to do is rope in some of this casual audience and get them into competitive play while the game is hot.

SF will be the king competitively, but it's anyone's guess what's going to happen with SFV. It could be the hottest thing since MKX or straight doo doo. Hopefully Capcom is paying attention and makes the game exciting and adds some casual stuff to help sell the game.

And these events need to do a better job at promoting because it's sad there's people who didn't know that NWM was taking place on the week that it's being held. Yall need this calendar.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161211139]How did you know I like fruit snacks? This is suspicious.[/QUOTE]

Who the hell doesn't like fruit snacks? Gushers for life and swedish fish.

I love fighting games.

I feel like world wide SF will continue to thrive. Only issue with V is the exclusivity and possible lack of hype (we haven't really seen anything new).

I'm glad MK X is successful. Hopefully, the momentum can maintain. I've never seen a 2,000+ entrant MK tournament.

MK is getting its time in the sun, but you had 15000 people watching a 15 man tournament which will fizzle out quickly. What people need to do is rope in some of this casual audience and get them into competitive play while the game is hot.

SF will be the king competitively, but it's anyone's guess what's going to happen with SFV. It could be the hottest thing since MKX or straight doo doo. Hopefully Capcom is paying attention and makes the game exciting and adds some casual stuff to help sell the game.

And these events need to do a better job at promoting because it's sad there's people who didn't know that NWM was taking place on the week that it's being held. Yall need this calendar.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

http://kakuge-checker.com/event/list/

The Japanese have perfected the fgc calender. This does a better job of notifying people of tournaments than the actual tournament site.

Juice what shifted your opinion of sfiv? What aspects of the game caused you to go from dude who competed seriously in the game to one who doesn't seem to want anything to do with it?

This conversation I had with Boeken (An Abel player from Minnesota, friend of mine) on the finals day of NCR. This should sum it up.
http://pastebin.com/D4yqxcZU

Also, read this twitter discussion:
https://twitter.com/Alioune85/status/589111593889214464

From this twitter discussion I was asked: "what does it mean when no one is consistent like they said in sf4? is it bad that other people make top 8?" and I answered:
http://ask.fm/One_Hundred_Percent_Juicebox/answer/128559150959

tldr:
I don't think the person who wins a match of SF4 is necessarily better at fighting games than the person they defeat, and that is at odds with my beliefs on competitive play.

Top Bottom