• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

Live vicariously through the blood, sweat and tears of your favorite GAFfers!
Experience the thrill of victory! The angony of defeat!
Gasp equally in terror and excitement as two of GAF's strugglingest competitors duke it out for your entertainment, free of charge!

yED2Xg.gif

This is the beginning of a new series from your friends at gafranbats where we challenge each other and provide a stream or replays to the rest of you guys. Some of us might need more help than others, so we invite and challenge everyone here in the weekly thread to provide as much input as they can offer.
Anybody good at or interested in SF, analysis would be much appreciated. We don't improve by just playing a lot, getting a second and third opinion opens our eyes to new ideas and mistakes we didn't recognize. The hope is to improve the overall quality of GAF as a fighting game community and to invigorate more people into actually playing rather than arguing about news.

For everybody in gafranbats, I hope you enjoy this new content!

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161172901]
For everybody in gafranbats, I hope you enjoy this new content![/QUOTE]

Well, have to wish a fellow Ken player luck then!

specially against Guy, fuck GUy

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
God's Beard!";161172901][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNHeRiRrmo&list=PLkG1DzPYmHuq8B6Wx8OB3nYH7j7yf5Efl&index=1 said:
gafpresents7zu2a.png
[/URL]

Gasp equally in terror and excitement as two of GAF's strugglingest competitors duke it out for your entertainment, free of charge!

yED2Xg.gif

This is the beginning of a new series from your friends at gafranbats where we challenge each other and provide a stream or replays to the rest of you guys. Some of us might need more help than others, so we invite and challenge everyone here in the weekly thread to provide as much input as they can offer.
Anybody good at or interested in SF, analysis would be much appreciated. We don't improve by just playing a lot, getting a second and third opinion opens our eyes to new ideas and mistakes we didn't recognize. The hope is to improve the overall quality of GAF as a fighting game community and to invigorate more people into actually playing rather than arguing about news.

Isn't your internet shit?

av2k

Any know if the cheap 160$ dell monitors are good for competitive gaming? I have 3x asus monitors myself but was looking towards something more thin.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161164618]The best way to promote your favorite game is to promote your favorite game. Just play a lot instead of complaining on message boards. It doesn't take a large community to provide a large amount of content. But why don't "smaller" games have more videos like Cross Counter? Or just random dudes talking about the game? Or as many in-depth tutorials? That's how you really promote your game, not yelling in stream chats. [/QUOTE]

As someone with the bad luck to frequently like games with small/nonexistent US communities (KOF, Yatagarasu) I'll venture an opinion.

The reason smaller games don't get as much content is because there is practically no one creating said content, and when the content is promoted, there is practically no interest in it.

Any game has its casual and hardcore fans. Among hardcore fans, probably <1% of them actually put forth effort of creating content, regardless of the quality of that content.

When a game has a smaller community, the people who DO create content have less eyes on their content (views, likes, etc). Someone putting in the effort for a tutorial series of each character is NOT going to get any return on that content except for maybe personal satisfaction. Everyone has their limit when it comes to how much work they're willing to put in for random strangers, even with the intended effect of growing or educating a community.

Here are some numbers:

My Yatagarasu videos average at about 2500 views.
My KOF videos average at about 5000 views.
My "Explanation of Footsies" video has over 38,000 views.

When Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm is finally released on Steam, I will make more Yatagarasu videos. I do not expect them to do much better than my previous ones.

How successful do you think my efforts have been in "promoting my game(s)"?

I think my contribution with these videos has been mostly to help people that are already invested in various games become more invested in those games. I also think a very small number of people (maybe less than 100 people in total) saw my videos and with that information decided to try the game out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As someone with the bad luck to frequently like games with small/nonexistent US communities (KOF, Yatagarasu) I'll venture an opinion.

The reason smaller games don't get as much content is because there is practically no one creating said content, and when the content is promoted, there is practically no interest in it.

Any game has its casual and hardcore fans. Among hardcore fans, probably <1% of them actually put forth effort of creating content, regardless of the quality of that content.

When a game has a smaller community, the people who DO create content have less eyes on their content (views, likes, etc). Someone putting in the effort for a tutorial series of each character is NOT going to get any return on that content except for maybe personal satisfaction. Everyone has their limit when it comes to how much work they're willing to put in for random strangers, even with the intended effect of growing or educating a community.

Here are some numbers:

When Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm is finally released on Steam, I will make more Yatagarasu videos. I do not expect them to do much better than my previous ones.

I think my contribution with these videos has been mostly to help people that are already invested in various games become more invested in those games. I also think a very small number of people (maybe less than 100 people in total) saw my videos and with that information decided to try the game out.
Similarly, I think often times there's an assumption that things can/must/should be bigger than they are which is dangerous.

Making all the content in the world will not convince me to play Yatagarasu, and I think that goes for the majority of people. Similarly, raising awareness for people who are already aware doesn't do much. You will only ever see people hop on if people who aren't already into fighting games are made of it's existence (from people like Giant Bomb or perceived authorities/experts like Max and Justin Wong) or something significant changes in the product. No offense, but I really do feel like people overvalue the importance of small guy content creation when your average person/gamer is pretty good at researching stuff independently (and usually not as stupid as the hardcore likes to assume).

Here are some numbers:

I'm not saying you can take people's attention away from the stuff they like, but being a content producer means you're opening the door for a lot of people with any interest at all. It's hard for me, for instance, to find high level information about Hokuto no Ken, and Jojo's info is spotty. But there is real info to be found and I got to play with the guys who wrote the guides for the Jojo's wiki. Their info really got me into the game where I might have quit otherwise.

When I was interested in KOFXIII, I used a lot of your videos to help me develop my team. I wound up not being as into KOF as other games, but because your content was out there I got closer to the game than I would have. I think content production should be about helping grow a community rather than hitting view thresholds. Look at VIrtua FIghter. It's such a tiny percentage of the FGC, but people still hold regular sessions because the community is so strong.

No offense, but I really do feel like people overvalue the importance of small guy content creation when your average person/gamer is pretty good at researching stuff independently (and usually not as stupid as the hardcore likes to assume).

None taken. I agree completely.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161179534]When I was interested in KOFXIII, I used a lot of your videos to help me develop my team.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161179534]I think content production should be about helping grow a community rather than hitting view thresholds.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The point of my previous post was that videos and social media content does not grow a community by any appreciable figure.

Anne

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161164618]
Ultradavid and James Chen did more to promote P4A than most of the community, and yet the P4A community complained when they were getting less stream time after nobody doing anything with the game.[/QUOTE]

I will say for those of us that did things with Persona that worked really hard, it wasn't about stream time or picking up people, it was about educating the people already there and trying to take those who had some interest and give them a place to expand on it. Did we pick up people who weren't interested before? Nah. But for those people interested, we gave them someplace to grow that interest that wasn't there before.

Again with like the Ogawa thing, I expect people who don't care about Guilty Gear to not care about Guilty Gear. I do hope though that some people who were interested in Xrd and tried to watch streams but didn't know players to carry interest, have something interesting to get them more into the tournament this weekend. I don't want to grab random people, just with smaller things people will have interest and when they go to foster it, there's fuck all there and they go "I couldn't learn it because stuff wasn't there, I couldn't play cause I couldn't find players/events, I didn't know what was going on at x event" and so on.

God's Beard!";161172901][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNHeRiRrmo&list=PLkG1DzPYmHuq8B6Wx8OB3nYH7j7yf5Efl&index=1 said:
gafpresents7zu2a.png
[/URL]

yED2Xg.gif

im in for w/e this is

i'd like to preface that i apologize for my suckass skills. i'm trying my best to get used to pad until i replace my stick, as you can see from all the dropped comboes and wasted opportunities.

still, it isn't an excuse for my lack of footsies and questionable choices in the corner.

.la1n

LMAO, Sp00ky said he doesn't give a damn about wireless controller syncs.

MKX hype. :D

It's true which makes what UltraDavid said last night really make sense. It's finding out a girl you had a crush on 15 years ago liked you too and now whenever you think about you get that slight twisted up feeling because of that missed opportunity. Seeing how big Mortal Kombat X is and just how much larger it could have been had they been ready out of the gate with the online feature set.

K.Sabot

gafpresents7zu2a.png
[/URL]

yED2Xg.gif

Rock shoulda had this, like I said the other day we need to do a "who's the worst in gafranbats tournament".

Top Bottom