• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

3eg3pfl9er8bu69lv3aanxn5c.320x240x71.gif

fader

yea, I'm not being speaking figuratively or overreacting or anything, but yea, I think this just shifted my whole view on SF4. Or at least added a new perspective.

EDIT:

especially this:

Juicebox
and because of that, they play a tempered style
capable of random, but able to stop random at any moment
and taking full advantage of the game's "features" (glitches/leniency), create new, interesting mindgames and strategies.
US players - "dude i found this tech im gonna win now"

also

THE KING!!!

vocab

Im surprised Kbrad even got a new contract with EG. He barely changed anything about his play ever since AE2014 shit edition died out.

But ya, SFIV was always about dealing with the bullshit. The game has tons of it. I mean the whole vortex era was anti street fighter. Didn't matter if you were a good player or not, if you got knocked down, it was almost certain death.

Every time I watched Juice play against Rufus I know apart of him dies on the inside.

Dahbomb

That moment when you realize top Marvel players are more consistent than top SF4 players...
That's been the case for over a year now and has been argued as well.

SF4 has a bigger player base and a new version of the game is not even a year old. Despite being an old game it's not a matured game which means players haven't exactly "settled" in yet because of the updates. You will not see consistency in results until the game has been untouched by Capcom for 3-4 years.

US players - "dude i found this tech im gonna win now"

so what does it mean when no one is consistent like they said in sf4? is it bad that other people make top 8? Well, if different people keep getting top placings, and lots of people are practicing the game, there are two explanations.
----
1) The game is almost perfectly figured out. Everyone that makes top placings has earned it through tons of practice and hard work. Everyone that makes top 8 has incredible skill, with no exceptions.
2) Top placing doesn't require incredible skill at the particular game. It can be determined by an easy bracket, low entries, lucky matchups as you advance, or any combination of the three. Also, it's possible that the game itself can be "random" in a way that normalizes skill levels, so that having much more skill is not a the biggest factor in who wins or loses a match.
----
When you consider that certain international players -consistently- (though not -always-) come to the USA and kick our collective butts, signifying that they have greater skill than us... Which of these two do you think is more likely for SF4?
LMAO!

I love Juicebox real talk sessions. Needs to put all this thoughts on youtube and put all the players on blast. Guaranteed 50K views.

That moment when you realize top Marvel players are more consistent than top SF4 players...

A lot of players don't focus on Marvel. Justin doesn't really practice Marvel. SF has far more competition thanks to the overseas players. I think American SF would have the same consistency in placings if there were no overseas players. Players like Snake, Justin, and Dieminion would constantly make top 8.

Dahbomb

disable comments tho
Nah keep the comments on because it will basically prove what he's saying...

think of it this way
let's say Momochi put out an article
in which he details his opinion that most players are very bad because they dont think of things in these terms
let's say event hubs posted this article
on a scale of 1-10 how much backlash would the article get?

alstein

3 of 5 and being able to consistently leverage small skill advantages helps.

SF4 being 2 of 3, and a much larger top pool of players makes it less consistent.

Games with smaller pools of top players tend to have more consistent winners as there are fewer folks to push the top dog.

I do think read-heavy games also produce more inconsistency in results. You are going to make wrong reads on occasion.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Im surprised Kbrad even got a new contract with EG. He barely changed anything about his play ever since AE2014 shit edition died out.

But ya, SFIV was always about dealing with the bullshit. The game has tons of it. I mean the whole vortex era was anti street fighter. Didn't matter if you were a good player or not, if you got knocked down, it was almost certain death.

Every time I watched Juice play against Rufus I know apart of him dies on the inside.

He's a great personality, each time the dude talks, I wanna listen cause its hilarious.

This has been true for years now.

Yeah, when you have teams that completely shut down other teams, it gets like that. Justin Wong is an anomaly though, dude can download someone instantly and body them. He plays Storm as a second, you'd think she's really good but Justin just makes her look good.

alstein

You need to explain this part. The rest of the post is accurate but I am confused as to what you mean by this.

Well, some games, if you just outclass the opponent enough- you can win on autopilot. I think Marvel is really like that. That's a huge plus in a tourney setting if you can progress through the earlier parts of the bracket without having to spend any mental energy.

I think the skill gap in anime-style games (such as Marvel, SG, GG) is very strict, and you can crush a lot more easily. SF4 it's easier for an inferior player to get lucky- and get a person to the point they have to start concentrating/thinking about what the other guy is going to do. It's harder to crush folks. (VF, KOF, and SamSho are also like this)

Zissou

Marvel is FT3 because there aren't rounds (3 matches more or less equivalent to 3 rounds). FT2 SF4 guarantees a minimum of 4 rounds and a maximum of 6. Marvel results are more consistent despite have fewer 'rounds.'

Dahbomb

Well, some games, if you just outclass the opponent enough- you can win on autopilot. I think Marvel is really like that. That's a huge plus in a tourney setting if you can progress through the earlier parts of the bracket without having to spend any mental energy.
I don't know man.. some top players would disagree with that. There's always a dark Vergil in the pool that can ruin a top player's run or a Zero player. There are always some crazy team combinations in pools that you have probably never played before.

Pool play has actually been pretty vicious for Marvel lately and lots of body bags have been put out. That's because the player base is more concentrated now... there are less players playing the game but those who still play are all killers. So you have to be on point even in pools.

I think what top players have over other near top players in Marvel is experience. They travel a lot, they have seen a lot and thus are more equipped to handle all the various combinations that you might see in pools. I know people see the same Doom/Vergil stuff on stream but the reality is that there's still enough of crazy shenanigans going on in pools like a Wolverine player backed up with Bolts that can give even Justin Wong trouble if he's not seen it before.

zlatko

Banned
Da Juice Is Loose!

I guess that conversation is over my head.

The only way an opinion like that could make a difference is if it came from a proven top player like he said. If Momochi/Daigo/Tokido etc said what he said, then people would listen more...maybe.

Coming from Juice the trolls will just point to "you haven't won shit. gtfo here."

I don't know man.. some top players would disagree with that. There's always a dark Vergil in the pool that can ruin a top player's run or a Zero player. There are always some crazy team combinations in pools that you have probably never played before.

Pool play has actually been pretty vicious for Marvel lately and lots of body bags have been put out. That's because the player base is more concentrated now... there are less players playing the game but those who still play are all killers. So you have to be on point even in pools.

I think what top players have over other near top players in Marvel is experience. They travel a lot, they have seen a lot and thus are more equipped to handle all the various combinations that you might see in pools. I know people see the same Doom/Vergil stuff on stream but the reality is that there's still enough of crazy shenanigans going on in pools like a Wolverine player backed up with Bolts that can give even Justin Wong trouble if he's not seen it before.

It's hard to get lucky 3 times out of 5 games though if you're an inferior players. Dark Vergil/Zero can only get you so far that's why Marvel went away from 2/3. I think we can all agree that the shorter the set the higher the chance for the underdog to win.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Exactly this, seeing a Hulk/Shuma player in my pool freaked me out. I had experience against hulk but never with both of them together. Its frightening to see a combination you haven't faced before. I'm honestly surprised people aren't rocking Mag and Strange together, there was this one player in Bum's house that was using the team and by god was the level of swagnus so high.

Marvel is FT3 because there aren't rounds (3 matches more or less equivalent to 3 rounds). FT2 SF4 guarantees a minimum of 4 rounds and a maximum of 6. Marvel results are more consistent despite have fewer 'rounds.'

Marvel is FT3 because its fast enough for tournaments to allow it. Has nothing to do with the format of the game. People didn't quietly critique marvel from afar and said that the game needed longer sets. They were just copying Yipes...like pretty much the majority of Marvel's entire competitive culture.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like West Coast tournies simply because I can catch it late. Thought it would be next week with the boxing match. Mayweather is going to 10-0 preptime Daigo Pacman. Every time I saw a Filipino guy fight against a black guy it wasn't pretty.

Zissou

Exactly this, seeing a Hulk/Shuma player in my pool freaked me out. I had experience against hulk but never with both of them together. Its frightening to see a combination you haven't faced before. I'm honestly surprised people aren't rocking Mag and Strange together, there was this one player in Bum's house that was using the team and by god was the level of swagnus so high.

That's a thing I like about marvel- there is always a chance you run into something you haven't seen before and you are forced to adapt on the fly. It's happened to me a couple times (getting blown up by Haggar with log trap assist haunts me to this day o_O).

Side note: I keep hoping the era of Doom subsides a little because I've always believed he's the second best assist for a bunch of the cast, but everybody picked him because they were too lazy to learn the more optimal team. Nova/Spencer/Doom is straight up inferior to team Nemo but people still run it. A guy here used to run Nova/Doom/Vergil, but recently swapped Doom for Strange on that team and I think it's quite possibly a better team. Unibeam is a great assist, but people are too lazy to learn Iron Meng, etc. etc.

Marvel is FT3 because its fast enough for tournaments to allow it. Has nothing to do with the format of the game. People didn't quietly critique marvel from afar and said that the game needed longer sets. They were just copying Yipes...like pretty much the majority of Marvel's entire competitive culture.

Many many players requested FT3 marvel. It wasn't just parroting Yipes. It also doesn't change my mind or address my point about marvel being more consistent than sf4 despite having fewer 'rounds.'

I like West Coast tournies simply because I can catch it late. Thought it would be next week with the boxing match. Mayweather is going to 10-0 preptime Daigo Pacman. Every time I saw a Filipino guy fight against a black guy it wasn't pretty.

West Coast tournaments generally stink for me because all the good stuff starts happening right when I have to eat dinner generally and school the next day and having to wake up at 6 am stinks :(

Many many players requested FT3 marvel. It wasn't just parroting Yipes. It also doesn't change my mind or address my point about marvel being more consistent than sf4 despite having fewer 'rounds.'

It should be said that the majority of people just wanted "more marvel" as opposed to what actual top players wanted.

Zissou

It should be said that the majority of people just wanted "more marvel" as opposed to what actual top players wanted.

This is true- players wanted FT3 as they believed it a superior tournament format, but stream monsters (in the 'when's marvel?!' era at least) just wanted more marvel period, so everyone's interests aligned and we got the better format. An instance of stream monsters (accidentally?) being a force for good in the world?

Like I always say, Street Fighter is way more random than Marvel.

True- I beat Sako that one time!

@Smed: Don't agree that marvel is chaotic. I think 'punishing' is the better word. Small mistakes/miscalculations cost you matches very easily. At low level play, both players make lots of mistakes, so at that level can indeed be chaotic. Very high level play is anything but- for example, if somebody thinks Justin's matches over Chris G for the evo championship were chaotic, they just didn't understand what's going on.

You're one of the good ones Kadey.

Juice, what about SF4 makes it like that where spastic players get far even though they maybe bad at "SF" but good at "SF4"? What would Capcom need to do so this does not happen in SF5?

Character select screen.

If I'm the best Dhalsim in the world and you're an average Yun, the game practically encourages you to not give a fuck about any of the decisions I make. Our skill gap is irrelevant. The game is completely different if it's Dhalsim vs Bison, Dhalsim vs Ryu, etc.

In order to make this not happen, they have two choices:

1) better character balance (lol)

2) Have more universal movement and close range options that allow tactics to be covered in multiple ways, encouraging a more thoughtful approach. (aka turn it into KOF)

alstein

SF will be the king competitively, but it's anyone's guess what's going to happen with SFV. It could be the hottest thing since MKX or straight doo doo. Hopefully Capcom is paying attention and makes the game exciting and adds some casual stuff to help sell the game.

The big thing with SF5 is going to be toxicity, especially with PC players mixing in with console players.

If I were Capcom, I'd disable voice chat while playing and design the game so autofire/macros have no impact, just like how Skullgirls does. I think that would be necessary to reduce the negativity. I hope Sony lets Capcom do that.

as for above post:

Could option #2 be done while still keeping it SF enough to not turn people on the game? SFA and SF3 both were very controversial in their day.

I do think you're hitting on something, in that oki is too risk-free in general. I don't think there should be situations where you get highly effective and free pressure. Highly skewed risk-reward in the attacker's favor is good, but it shouldn't be zero risk. Defender needs to be able to mixup as well on wakeup, and delayed wakeup isn't sufficient mixup.

WarRock

God's Beard!";160952587][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vcRGSiUmBg said:
Even Jojo's casuals looks more fun than top play from any fighter in the past decade and a half.[/URL]

God I love this game.
More games should have hops, dodges and hitboxes independent from your character that aren't fireballs, yeah. Very fun stuff.

More games should have hops, dodges and hitboxes independent from your character that aren't fireballs, yeah. Very fun stuff.

One of the things that attracted me to KOFXIII was the pace of play and movement being similar to Jojo's, but I really missed the craziness from all the extra game systems.

Seyavesh

remember ft2 vanilla marvel
ha ha haaaaaughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you're completely clueless if you think players didn't want ft3. or if you believe that critique about any aspect of the game was even remotely close to being quiet

Zissou

The big thing with SF5 is going to be toxicity, especially with PC players mixing in with console players.

If I were Capcom, I'd disable voice chat while playing and design the game so autofire/macros have no impact, just like how Skullgirls does. I think that would be necessary to reduce the negativity. I hope Sony lets Capcom do that.

as for above post:

Could option #2 be done while still keeping it SF enough to not turn people on the game? SFA and SF3 both were very controversial in their day.

I do think you're hitting on something, in that oki is too risk-free in general. I don't think there should be situations where you get highly effective and free pressure. Highly skewed risk-reward in the attacker's favor is good, but it shouldn't be zero risk. Defender needs to be able to mixup as well on wakeup, and delayed wakeup isn't sufficient mixup.

SF4 is already a slow and defensive game though. It's already 'the life lead alone is a weapon' the game sometimes.

Somewhere God's Beard is nodding and agreeing with what you're saying in a non-ironic way.

Top Bottom