• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

I think if they release characters with faster V-trigger activations you will be seeing more activations off hit confirms or if they make activations faster for certain characters already in. Like you can do Ryu's cr.Hp into v-trigger and combo out of it and Chun's back Hp into v-trigger works. In this case it's only on higher hitstun normals, so they want you to risk yourself to combo into activation unlike say the jab confims into a fadc combo in sf4.

Which reminds me, I really never tried counterpoking a poke with Chun's b.HP into v-trigger, i wonder if I could get something from that distance besides super.

If you take some screenshots side-by-side but with different lighting you can probably still make a big first page gaf thread out of it

I heard they adjusted some lighting, some one took a screenshot of Gamescom Cammy and compared it and her face looks better because it added shading and doesn't look as flat. I don't know about other comparisons because I didn't really notice anything.

vg260

Speaking of SF5 art style. Is it me or has there been a downgrade in the graphics since like E3?

Dunno, but they need to crank up the AF a level or two, at least on the training stage. That blurry grid near the back wall drives me crazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not worrying about much because we've seen much clearer progress or at least improvements over development thus far than you ever see for games of this caliber. Like adding assets into stages or tweaking lighting and models.

If it comes out as-is, I'll be fine with it, but that's not to say that some serious work needs to be done to make backgrounds cleaner. My guess is they're using some basic lighting solutions as they work on and wait to reveal dynamic lighting for stages.

Dynamic lighting is kind of overkill for a 2D plane fighting game. There aren't that many dynamic light sources, not even all projectiles look like they should be casting a lot of light.

Really only two things bother me in terms of visuals, the shadows and Ryu's bright red armpit during his win pose. Man that just looks way off.

Edit: Wait, I was thinking of global illumination. Isn't dynamic lighting already in the game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2v-8UdSwfQ The characters are casting shadows on themselves, the stage. Don't think those shadows are pre-baked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dynamic lighting is kind of overkill for a 2D plane fighting game. There aren't that many dynamic light sources, not even all projectiles look like they should be casting a lot of light.

Really only two things bother me in terms of visuals, the shadows and Ryu's bright red armpit during his win pose. Man that just looks way off.

Edit: Wait, I was thinking of global illumination. Isn't dynamic lighting already in the game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2v-8UdSwfQ The characters are casting shadows on themselves, the stage. Don't think those shadows are pre-baked.
Yeah sorry I meant global illumination so they can do day/night.

Dynamic lighting has been in from the jump.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
GAF how do I fight Adon. I get bodied by any decent Adon no matter what character I use so I figure it's a matter of me being countered as a player more than my character being countered.

I hate characters that have shit that lets them get in your grill relatively safely.

stn

What were your initial impressions? (if different than these) I know it was probably hard to say before going hands-on, but I'm more curious about gut reactions to the mechanic initially when introduced.
I honestly can't remember, I started playing SF4 the moment vanilla launched. I can say that I'm generally not a fan of mechanics that tinker with the basic neutral game, such as focus, parries, etc... I am a fan of alpha counters, just defend, and things of that nature.

pixelish

am i the only one who finds the health and stun bar to be a bit too plain? the bars look like they're just placeholders for the final build of the game.

Just curious, what were everyone's thought's on SF4's focus attack when originally introduced/explained versus now? Specifically, did it initially strike you as something foreign or problematic to SF? Did your opinion change?

It always did to me. It seemed like a mechanic more suited to 3D fighters, or maybe I only recalled seeing charge moves in some (SoulCal maybe?). I felt like it was a concession made to 3S fans for losing the parry, but maybe not really necessary.

It seemed justifiable from the start because the most prevalent characters at the beginning of the game were Ryu, Sagat, Akuma and Boxer. The focus attack provided the lower tiered characters a way to mitigate their rush punch/fireball zoning. The game was new, people in general were worse at poking and more anti zoning than they are now, so there wasn't many questioning the idea of focus attack. I recall Mike Watson always having a problem with it, specifically with the concept of focus chicken...how people are put into a guess scenario based on simply whether they're going to release or not, and at what level. I myself, didn't fully realized how mindless focus fishing was until SFxT was released.

The gamescom build seems to have some graphical improvements actually.

People always say this shit & yet there is no video proof. Show me an in game side by side of the Gamescon build & the previous one that has any noticable difference. Vega trailer(which is from that build) looked exactly like everything that came before it.

Clawww

People always say this shit & yet there is no video proof. Show me an in game side by side of the Gamescon build & the previous one that has any noticable difference. Vega trailer(which is from that build) looked exactly like everything that came before it.

why are you so butthurt/bitter about SFV lmao. it's noticeably weird.

speaking of which, did you ever get back to us after calling out toolassisted's frame date for being bullshit? funny you ask for proof of plain and apparent visual tweaks but you're happy to dismiss good info without any insight.

Lulubop

why are you so butthurt/bitter about SFV lmao. it's noticeably weird.

speaking of which, did you ever get back to us after calling out toolassisted's frame date for being bullshit? funny you ask for proof of plain and apparent visual tweaks but you're happy to dismiss good info without any insight.

Dude is always bitter and grumpy, what a life to live.

For real, tone it the fuck down.

Coda

am i the only one who finds the health and stun bar to be a bit too plain? the bars look like they're just placeholders for the final build of the game.

I kind of like the clean look of them. The UI is super slick and I really hope they don't change much about it. SFIV's menus and UI are more or less an eye sore for me, like it was trying to replicate that 90s edginess factor. I mean I love the 90s otherwise but I'm much happier when a game has a clean UI over one that's trying to be too stylized.

BadWolf

I kind of like the clean look of them. The UI is super slick and I really hope they don't change much about it. SFIV's menus and UI are more or less an eye sore for me, like it was trying to replicate that 90s edginess factor. I mean I love the 90s otherwise but I'm much happier when a game has a clean UI over one that's trying to be too stylized.

Agreed, the new UI is quite nice.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Cammy has never looked better. Also hype that they took out her links from c.lights.

She needs more target combos then. Because yeah, a rushdown character without fast solid hit confirms is shit. That or her dives need to be better, hooligan being able to throw on standing and so on. You can't have a rushdown fast character in a SF game and not give them tools to suffocate. They just don't work ever.

K Cammy worked in Capcom vs SNK 2 from being able to run and short hop. But yeah SF is a series with dashes not runs LOL

Village

Cammy has never looked better. Also hype that they took out her links from c.lights.

your statement is false

She wore pants twice and looked better.

Speaking of outfits , I am very much interested in what the outfit outlook is going to be. And will they just strait bring back old ones

Speaking of SF5 art style. Is it me or has there been a downgrade in the graphics since like E3?

I felt like the graphics for the first 4 characters were amazing and the characters released after that were not as good. That could be due to the first 4 being worked on for a bit longer than the other characters. Cammy has gotten a slight upgrade so I think the other characters will receive similar upgrades by the time the game comes out.

Skilletor

your statement is false

She wore pants twice and looked better.

Speaking of outfits , I am very much interested in what the outfit outlook is going to be. And will they just strait bring back old ones

I meant her character model. :)

I much prefer her outfit with pants as well.

She needs more target combos then. Because yeah, a rushdown character without fast solid hit confirms is shit. That or her dives need to be better, hooligan being able to throw on standing and so on. You can't have a rushdown fast character in a SF game and not give them tools to suffocate. They just don't work ever.

I'd be fine with that. Her character right now doesn't seem to be very well thought out overall with the SF5 system. Her vskill being spin knuckle is stupid. Hooligan roll stuff isn't going to be very good since everybody now is getting away with stuff because they're not used to seeing it. Both of those things are going to be garbage tier not long after launch. She needs new stuff.

I wish they would have given her the counters from alpha 3 in vism. Her vskill should be a new move, not an existing one.

Agreed. The minimalistic hud is nice. The sf4 hud is trash.

El Sloth

Banned
I mean, you don't see SEALs in spandex. Or leotards.

And why does girl need a tan for. I hear there's not much sun in the UK anyways

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'd be fine with that. Her character right now doesn't seem to be very well thought out overall with the SF5 system. Her vskill being spin knuckle is stupid. Hooligan roll stuff isn't going to be very good since everybody now is getting away with stuff because they're not used to seeing it. Both of those things are going to be garbage tier not long after launch. She needs new stuff.

I wish they would have given her the counters from alpha 3 in vism. Her vskill should be a new move, not an existing one.

How to make holligan good. The kick from it is now overhead and leads to combos no matter what *increase hitstun of it from this version of her divekick*, the throw can still be ducked. Congrats she now has a mix up that's unique to her and solid.

Lulubop

I felt like the graphics for the first 4 characters were amazing and the characters released after that were not as good. That could be due to the first 4 being worked on for a bit longer than the other characters. Cammy has gotten a slight upgrade so I think the other characters will receive similar upgrades by the time the game comes out.

Indeed. I feel like the TGS build is gonna be the next sorta milestone build and the bases for the next beta. The final beta will be the near finished version the show at the Capcom cup I suppose.

qcf x2

i don't think so

maybe the new gen luster is just wearing off

From the first failed beta attempt to the post-patch stress test version last Friday there was definitely a noticeable downgrade. The final game will look amazing though, so I'm not at all concerned. They probably just patched to an earlier version for one reason or another.

K.Sabot

I've said this before, Cammys outfit looks really dumb, lol.

Get some pants on or a tight fitting uniform on if you need sexy.

On4XgnO.png

giphy.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nothing looks worse than Mu-12's outfit... yuck. At least Makoto has a solid visual reason for hers. Mu-12 just looks tacky as fuck.

mu_12_sprite_pack_by_sapphire_the_emperor-d5rr1ma.png
latest

Top Bottom