• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Tizoc

FucXHn6.jpg

Here's one I kinda like: BEHOLD THE RUMBLEFISH
caLJcT5.png

In it you have 2 gauges, one is for using offensive supers and the other is for defensive supers. I hadn't played this series in a long time so I can't remember exactly how each meter gets filled up exactly. When both meters are full you can perform a very damaging super.

Some of the defensive supers are interesting as some characters' supers act like Burst from GG.

petghost

Banned
I liked that some characters could store multiple supers in 3S. I wish everyone could do that in 5.

Yeah and I liked the fact that you might choose a super with more bars for the sake of using more ex moves. Made you think about playing your chars a bit differently. In practice it wasn't perfect tho but some chars like ibuki or oro or yang had to think about what super was best for the situation.

While not necessarily a best or worst, I wanted to give a special shoutout to Umineko Ougon's meter system for being particularly unique for tag fighters.

HUD: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Ougon_Musou_Kyoku/HUD

Each character on the team has their own super meter with up to 5 stocks, and meter is (generally) built for only the reserve character when the point character deals, takes, or blocks damage. Meaning, the point character will eventually become resource-starved if left in for a long time, and you are encouraged to frequently swap between characters mid-fight in order to keep their resources up. Additionally, reserve characters can be brought in via special tag-ins such as guard cancel, burst, or invulnerable dash-in, at the cost of coming in with fewer stock.

While the point character can use the stock for EX specials or a highly-damaging rush super, the main highlight to having meter on point is to activate your "Meta World" which is analogous to Darkstalkers' Dark Force. In addition to providing buffs specific to the team composition, it gives free, unlimited access to character-specific supers for the duration of the Meta World, and acts as a Roman Cancel to boot. All for the cost of 1 stock. Unless the opponent's point character sacrifices some meter to "deny" the activation. But then you can spend more meter in an attempt to force it through. All the while, the Meta World duration at stake dwindles with each exchange.

Gameplay example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HpbyKk_u1E

Man I wish we had gotten a ps3 version of Ougon Cross (why the fuck was its only console port a 360 jp exclusive). The Meta activation and rejection was fun.

jerry1594

Yeah and I liked the fact that you might choose a super with more bars for the sake of using more ex moves. Made you think about playing your chars a bit differently. In practice it wasn't perfect tho but some chars like ibuki or oro or yang had to think about what super was best for the situation.
Nah. Ibuki and Yang have one viable super. Oro's SA2 and 3 are both very good but for the most part you use 2, unless the juggle doesn't work. Really most characters have one viable super. Ryu, Elena and Oro might be the only one's with 2+ good supers. Makoto too but I don't see much SA2.
Actually I guess Yang uses SA3 vs Hugo and other random times.

4r5

Guilty Gear, hands down the best. Anything that is a risk gives you meter and increases your meter gain, anything that is safe takes meter or reduces your meter gain.

Someone said something about not getting a lot of meter for being hit. First off, don't get hit man, this is a fight game. If you offend aggressively, then you will increase your meter gain multiplier, and so when you get hit, you will gain tons of meter. If you're playing safe or overly defensive, then maybe you don't need the meter like the guy going balls deep.

But even on the defense, if you're willing to take the risks, you can gain the meter you want/need. The obvious risk option for gaining meter on the defensive is to Instant Block. If you/when you develop a good sense for the blockstun, you can even walk forward during blockstring gaps, to gain even more meter.

Worst super meter system? First run of UNiB is the most recent example to come to mind. Big Bang Beat had a horrid system. As you hit people, super meter filling gems would fall out of your opponent on to the field. You had to pick em up. Obv, chars that could move around during their combos had a distinct advantage.

MK9, was it? If you hit select during a "Toasty!" it filled your bar? People be rewiring their sticks for that.

edit: Oh, and shoryuken.com use to have super meter, too!

Kind of barren but I do get success in finding matches. Try to find nickcool1996 to add you on the Skype group. We had a couple of online weekly tournament so far.

Is there a trick to getting the lobbies to work? Whenever I join I can't choose any of the options, like the controls won't respond. I can exit once someone else starts a match.

I noticed that in the pre-game setup menu there's some port options there. Anything in particular i should have enabled?

Also Kotaro is pretty cool.

"My personal preferences are objectively good and your personal preferences are objectively shit!" the thread :p

Yeah, I saw that back and forth and realized responding was a complete waste of time.

rookiejet

4r5, where have you been, man?!

Also, I like Rising Thunder. I've been playing it alot. It's the perfect no maintenance required competitive game for me atm (like I don't have to dedicate much time practicing solo to improve and be competitive). I can just jump on and practice yomi against other players. And its ranked mode is addictive lol

Azure J

That feeling when you type up a reply to a post in a character design thread then delete it all when you realize it probably isn't worth it.

That entire thread is just going to be a mess to read through on both sides. People need to give that East v West thing a rest especially when they can't properly articulate what it is they don't like about (mainstream [key word]) art on both sides of the sea and are ignorant enough to blanket "every art technique and style ever" into one image of a hemisphere's entire visual output because "this is what we've experienced or run into exclusively."

+1

Anne

No rising thunder love in this thread?

Some people dig it, some don't.

The best part about the criticism for that game is that a large majority of it doesn't stem from the games input systems like you'd expect. I mostly see people disliking it for more traditional reasons.

I tend to think the current form of the game is really lacking btw. It has some really good ideas that are just stuck in traditional limbo. "Street Fighter Greatest Hits as curated by Seth Killian" is not exactly a bad idea, but it's not a very interesting one to stick on top of this system.

Taiwan ranking event trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzIQ0Jbd75A&feature=youtu.be&a

Other CPT news
-Infiltration is going to the Hong Kong ranking event and Puerto Rico ranking event
-Justin Wong isn't going to Summer Jam
-Phenom, Problem X, and RMZ are going to Summer Jam

Matchups for toshin gekitotsu

Taka (slayer) vs Roi (sol)
Kiisha (faust) vs Ain (ky)
Koichi (i-no) vs Nakasu Bedman (bedman)
Takehara (ramlethal) vs Mocchii (sol)
Hanbaagu (elphelt) vs Nakamura (milia)
Karinchu (milia) vs Dogura (shin)
Susumu (chipp) vs Machabo (ky)
Nage (faust) vs Kazunoko (sol)
FAB (potemkin) vs Sako (zato)
Ogawa (zato) vs Daigo (sol)

alstein

It had a few flaws like how taunting worked, but I loved how Power Instinct series made you gain meter through stress (Getting hit, having your own attacks blocked)

As for Rising Thunder, my issue with it is that dash cancelling is a litttle too good right now. Think they've balanced their 7 characters so far pretty well (Dauntless is a bit too good, that's it) It's also proof that top players are human- top players lose more in RT than many other games, though they still usually win. Ended up playing a few games in a row against Snake Eyez yesterday (pretty sure it was actually him) I could see why he's so good after playing him online. I really do play better when I'm not on total sleep dep.

This is why if I ever go to Evo I hope for an 8am pool. I really wish Evo would take volunteers for 8am pools sometimes.

Is Shiro going to be Kazunoko's replacement on the Tuesday show or will they go through some kind of rotation and feature a different top player each week?

Looks like there is going to be a Kakutop League France qualifier. No Luffy, Valmaster, and Gagapa as they got top 4 last time.

Tripon

Taiwan ranking event trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzIQ0Jbd75A&feature=youtu.be&a

Other CPT news
-Infiltration is going to the Hong Kong ranking event and Puerto Rico ranking event
-Justin Wong isn't going to Summer Jam
-Phenom, Problem X, and RMZ are going to Summer Jam

Matchups for toshin gekitotsu

Taka (slayer) vs Roi (sol)
Kiisha (faust) vs Ain (ky)
Koichi (i-no) vs Nakasu Bedman (bedman)
Takehara (ramlethal) vs Mocchii (sol)
Hanbaagu (elphelt) vs Nakamura (milia)
Karinchu (milia) vs Dogura (shin)
Susumu (chipp) vs Machabo (ky)
Nage (faust) vs Kazunoko (sol)
FAB (potemkin) vs Sako (zato)
Ogawa (zato) vs Daigo (sol)
RIP anyone else trying to win First Attack (the PR major) then.

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175785123]In Jojo's you could stock nine supers and super while you're supering.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a bit much, but having two bars would be nice. At least it'd give a little leeway if I wanted to use EX moves. I feel like right now a Super is too much of a commitment.

gutabo

Increasingly believing the whole thing about GB making shit up about JoJos but nobody giving enough of a fuck to factcheck.
He's right tho. You can store up to 9 supers and do supers while doing some supers(best example: freeze time-which counts as a super- then do another super).

He's right tho. You can store up to 9 supers and do supers while doing some supers(best example: freeze time-which counts as a super- then do another super).

Boom.

I never lie about Jojo's. The game is just so far ahead of every other fighting game that it's hard for people to believe :p

To be fair, getting to 9 bars is kinda hard. 5-6 for Za Warudo combos is more realistic.

vg260

Just curious, what were everyone's thought's on SF4's focus attack when originally introduced/explained versus now? Specifically, did it initially strike you as something foreign or problematic to SF? Did your opinion change?

It always did to me. It seemed like a mechanic more suited to 3D fighters, or maybe I only recalled seeing charge moves in some (SoulCal maybe?). I felt like it was a concession made to 3S fans for losing the parry, but maybe not really necessary.

Despite it being off-putting at first, I just got used to it, but now with SFV going back to basics, it seems like a lot of people are saying, yeah, it sucked, how did we put up with it? I think it could still be good for a character's V-skill if it suits the character, but I'm excited about playing SF without the whole cast having the mechanic. I do love (multiple) Ultras though, which I will miss.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did you guys know if you put the JoJos disc inside of the Sonic and Knuckes cart it unlocks Metal Sonic as a playable character?

Try it if you don't believe me.

Just curious, what were everyone's thought's on SF4's focus attack when originally introduced/explained versus now? Specifically, did it initially strike you as something foreign or problematic to SF? Did your opinion change?

It always did to me. It seemed like a mechanic more suited to 3D fighters, or maybe I only recalled seeing charge moves in some (SoulCal maybe?). I felt like it was a concession made to 3S fans for losing the parry, but maybe not really necessary.

Despite it being off-putting at first, I just got used to it, but now with SFV going back to basics, it seems like a lot of people are saying, yeah, it sucked, how did we put up with it? I think it could still be good for a character's V-skill if it suits the character, but I'm excited about playing SF without the whole cast having the mechanic. I do love multiple Ultras though, which I will miss.
I remember watching 1ups original coverage of SFIV and hearing Ono explain the purpose of the saving attack and it always sounded to me like it was designed as an extension of the SFIII parry. It wasn't so far removed as to avoid the problems/challenges of a parry in the combat system, but I didn't really have as good of a grasp on what makes mechanics good/bad/effective back then so I was like okay. Especially considering it had a relatively cool visual flair to it.

Wasnt that long before I noticed (before I could properly verbalize) that whatever it did add to the neutral didn't do anything for me. It was always immediately apparent that some characters got more from this universal mechanic than others (just by seeing the combos that came out), but spectating SFIV definitely became a snore watching people go through the motions of fireball -> focus. Whatever layer of the neutral that is seemed kind of redundant, both people sitting across the screen building respective meters with no urgency to do anything. I'm glad SFV specifically attacks that problem, with hopefully some more defensive V-Skills to come.

For all the extra care that Capcom put into having all their SFV characters make anatomical sense, some of the characters still have fucked up anime eyes with droopy lower eyelids for no reason.

I went into mspaint and did a quick fix on Necalli so he has normal eyes just to see how much of a difference it would make:

necallifmz52.png

stn

I honestly never liked it, probably my biggest gripe with SF4.

-Makes you hesitate sometimes to throw pokes with long active frames
-Forces you to use lights a lot in order to armor break
-Focus fishing makes people lose AA opportunities
-Negates fireballs from long distance (if you pay attention to EX)
-Tough for characters with mediocre mid-range to deal with (ex. Gouken)
-Backdashes are invincible in order to account for wake-up focus attacks
-Just from a basic premise, it looks stupid to stand there and absorb an attack. Looks even more stupid with red focus. I know its all fictional but c'mon.
-Even though its a universal mechanic, not all characters benefit equally

With that said, I love FADC into combos. Brilliant way to extend combos and get more damage for proper hit-confirms. I would have gladly taken SF4 without focus attack but with FADC.

vg260

I honestly never liked it, probably my biggest gripe with SF4.

What were your initial impressions? (if different than these) I know it was probably hard to say before going hands-on, but I'm more curious about gut reactions to the mechanic initially when introduced.

Clawww

With that said, I love FADC into combos. Brilliant way to extend combos and get more damage for proper hit-confirms. I would have gladly taken SF4 without focus attack but with FADC.

im pretty much with you 100%. FAs just interfere with the fundamentals, but spending meter on cancels is cool if it's implemented nicely (being able to make DPs safe is not a nice implementation)

Top Bottom