• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Lack of single player content is a much bigger detriment to fighting games than execution will ever be.

BlazBlue has you covered!

Practice
Tutorial Mode
Training Mode
Challenge Mode

Story
Story Mode
Teach Me More, Miss Litchi!
Remix Heart Gaiden
Library Mode

Battle
Arcade Mode
Abyss Mode
Score Attack Mode
Unlimited Mars Mode
Highlander Assault Mode

Collection
Gallery Mode

Mr. X

FucXHn6.jpg
Worst is alpha 3 cause full Vism and which ever ggxx made rc and frc domineering.

Best is KoF13 that I can think of atm. And VF cause the only meter is health.

Now I wait to read the 3s and mvc2 hate machines

BlazBlue has you covered!

Practice
Tutorial Mode
Training Mode
Challenge Mode

Story
Story Mode
Teach Me More, Miss Litchi!
Remix Heart Gaiden
Library Mode

Battle
Arcade Mode
Abyss Mode
Score Attack Mode
Unlimited Mars Mode
Highlander Assault Mode

Collection
Gallery Mode

I think the main thing that gets casuals/newbies into a game is story mode and maybe some kind of grinding for unlockables. And at least in the US, a cinematic style story mode like MK is more appealing than a visual novel style mode.

Trying to find time to get good at anything is the highest execution barrier.
I got in a match of SF5 before going back to chores and errands. Really looks nice and I hope to have time for it.

Rhapsody

Banned

Guilty Gear series, free. I love how fast you gained them. And since meter doesn't carry over, matches towards the end get crazy intense with all the tools you have at your disposal in +R. Worst? Alpha 3. You shouldn't start with full meter. Also, in V-ism if you got hit, your meter wouldn't always be reduced to 0. It would be reduced to half full iirc if you had more than 50 percent.

kirblar

How long are we going to have this conversation? Until every game is like Rising Thunder or Smash?
That'll never happen, and it shouldn't. Anime games have a hardcore niche they service who actively enjoys the difficulty. Note "Stylish" mode- it's not like the BB devs aren't aware of the barrier. Those games have a pretty high initial barrier to entry on the "not ezmode" side, and so it's not a big deal that competitive play as lots of characters requires all sorts of nutty execution requirements - if someone is playing already and trying to advance, the biggest hurdle's already been passed.

The issue in a game like SF is that the barrier to entry doesn't exist at the beginning- it's lurking when people try to make that next step up. Look at SF4- Hey, I can block, dragon punch! I can get a 4-5 hit combo into sweep! A lot of the basic mechanical stuff is really simple. But then you come to the "hey, I want to be able to combo into this Ultra 1 instead of just punishing firebals with it."

And the game says: "Ok, sure" Just go DP, P, MK+MP, forward forward, quarter circle quarter circle, PPP all within a split second!" This is a problem, not because execution-heavy games are inherently problematic (they aren't) but because a previously execution light game suddenly becomes very execution heavy if you try to take it seriously. It's a mismatch in philosophy that doesn't exist for the Anime fighters, because they're execution heavy from the word go.

I really liked the way Marvel had a learning curve built into the game, btw. It had EZmode (I've seen this be VERY useful for kids who are brand new), then you had the magic series once you could play at a basic level, and from there you could start adding in things that required specific timings for freestyle combos. The tippy top end ended up requiring nutty things, of course, but since most people aren't having to fight Chris G every week it really wasn't an issue.

I like how easy it is to build meter in Guilty Gear AC/+R. Some characters really rely on the meter and aggressiveness combined with smart pokes builds it ridiculously fast. All the Roman Cancels and Force Break moves resulting from that forward pressure makes oldschool Guilty Gear one of the most enjoyable anime games to watch by far. Skullgirls is also particularly unique in how it handles DHCs too. I don't remember any other "versus" style game reducing 3 or 5 bar supers to 2/4 bars when they become a DHC, but anything that allows for extra meter usage in a versus style fighter is a welcome addition as far as I'm concerned.

WarRock

Best answer to the meter question probably is GG AC, but I really want to see more games toying with the idea of health/super gauge like DBZ Hyper Dimension and Psychic Force.

petghost

Banned
I actually really like some of 3s's ideas about meter like meters being various lengths and spending more than one bar to do EX supers.

K.Sabot

GG was the smartest in that it uses meter to encourage the gameplay style that it wants ie getting meter from moving forward.

amazing post

you should definitely play it/buy it, although it might be worth waiting for a patch or confirming some bros to play w/

I like it a lot. it's honestly a top notch fighting game, but it has serious shortcomings in terms of featureset and everything. once you're actually playing and the session is going, it's as good as it gets IMO, with enough playstyle variation among the cast to satisfy most people.

Why wait for a patch. Are there some game breaking bugs or something similar?

Zissou

Thing I don't like about GG meter build is how little you get for normal blocking or just straight up getting hit. It's possible to get hit during opening gambit and never get enough meter to DAA before losing the round. Neg pen is also dumb.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thing I don't like about GG meter build is how little you get for normal blocking or just straight up getting hit. It's possible to get hit during opening gambit and never get enough meter to DAA before losing the round. Neg pen is also dumb.

DAA isn't really all that great. Game doesn't want you to gain enough meter to where you can FD too much if you stay on defense. I didn't really like BB and P4's Negative penalty even if they didn't occur often, but GG's didn't bother me for some reason.

Zissou

DAA isn't really all that great. Game doesn't want you to gain enough meter to where you can FD too much if you stay on defense. I didn't really like BB and P4's Negative penalty even if they didn't occur often, but GG's didn't bother me for some reason.

Could still give more meter for getting hit- so many defensive options tied to meter.

Neg pen is just bad design imo. If it rarely/never occurs, why have it? (parsimony and shit) If it's necessary for preventing people just running away the whole round, your game is fucked up on some fundamental level.

Rhapsody

Banned
Could still give more meter for getting hit- so many defensive options tied to meter.

Neg pen is just bad design imo. If it rarely/never occurs, why have it? (parsimony and shit) If it's necessary for preventing people just running away the whole round, your game is fucked up on some fundamental level.

Because you get meter for approaching. If you approach but then run away and repeat, and then use meter on top of that to help run away, they don't want that. Which is why NP will drain all your meter.

And getting hit means burst gauge gets refilled. So there's something at least.

PureYeti

Is Yatagarasu worth getting? I played the demo which only lets you use one character and it was alright.

Is there a good online population or is it barren?

Kind of barren but I do get success in finding matches. Try to find nickcool1996 to add you on the Skype group. We had a couple of online weekly tournament so far.

Zissou

Because you get meter for approaching. If you approach but then run away and repeat, and then use meter on top of that to help run away, they don't want that. Which is why NP will drain all your meter.

And getting hit means burst gauge gets refilled. So there's something at least.

If that scenario actually occurred, they could remove meter gain for forward movement
and further trim the fat :p

Forgot about burst refilling- oops. You can still never get burst if you start a round with little/no burst guage and get touched early though, no?

Rhapsody

Banned
If that scenario actually occurred, they could remove meter gain for forward movement
and further trim the fat :p

Forgot about burst refilling- oops. You can still never get burst if you start a round with little/no burst guage and get touched early though, no?

Oh, that reminds me, for anyone that didn't know, when your burst gauge is empty and you're low on health, your burst builds back faster. So it's best to even stay alive as long as possible, even if winning the round looks hopeless.

But you're right, next round at the start, you're screwed until you start getting hit lol

Zissou

Opening gambit in xrd isn't marvel-level, but it's still very possible to get touched at 99 sec in a lot of MUs- shit is scary o_O

Kikirin

While not necessarily a best or worst, I wanted to give a special shoutout to Umineko Ougon's meter system for being particularly unique for tag fighters.

HUD: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Ougon_Musou_Kyoku/HUD

Each character on the team has their own super meter with up to 5 stocks, and meter is (generally) built for only the reserve character when the point character deals, takes, or blocks damage. Meaning, the point character will eventually become resource-starved if left in for a long time, and you are encouraged to frequently swap between characters mid-fight in order to keep their resources up. Additionally, reserve characters can be brought in via special tag-ins such as guard cancel, burst, or invulnerable dash-in, at the cost of coming in with fewer stock.

While the point character can use the stock for EX specials or a highly-damaging rush super, the main highlight to having meter on point is to activate your "Meta World" which is analogous to Darkstalkers' Dark Force. In addition to providing buffs specific to the team composition, it gives free, unlimited access to character-specific supers for the duration of the Meta World, and acts as a Roman Cancel to boot. All for the cost of 1 stock. Unless the opponent's point character sacrifices some meter to "deny" the activation. But then you can spend more meter in an attempt to force it through. All the while, the Meta World duration at stake dwindles with each exchange.

Gameplay example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HpbyKk_u1E

Meter features I like:
1) Meter gain on approach (GG).
2) Skullgirls meter scaling during combos.
3) Many meter options (Cancels, supers, DA, Blitz Shield).
4) Meter carries over between rounds.

Meter features I don't like:
1) Advancing Guard takes meter.
2) Negative Penalty.
3) Whiff meter gain.
4) EX Moves.
5) TACs.

Top Bottom