• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Village

I'm glad I care about toolsets more than character looks for the most part.

I think aesthetics's is how you sell a lot of games, especially fighting games. And while caring about movesets is fine, I totally understand and am a person who who likes liking what he's looking at.

Fighting games are about cool folks doing cool stuff on a screen to beat the other cool guy doing cool stuff.

To me at least

Skilletor

If you hadn't seen Ingrid before could you honestly tell whether she was from Street Fighter or Arcana Heart?

No panty shots and too busty to be a schoolgirl from Arcana hearts.

I'd guess KoF if it were blind before something like Arcana.

You couldn't pay me to play those games.

UNIEL is fun, but yeah, fuck the rest of them.

Only reason I even touched Arcana is because of my wife's love of "cute" things. Hate BB, and just watching videos of the rest of those games is enough to turn me off from them.

pizzacat

Banned
Everyone could legit be vector graphic lines, I just want something that feels good.

I must admit I've played some onechabara games and left saying "yea that felt pretty fucking slick, would play more"

You just gotta feel slick and I'm there

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think aesthetics's is how you sell a lot of games, especially fighting games. And while caring about movesets is fine, I totally understand and am a person who who likes liking what he's looking at.

Fighting games are about cool folks doing cool stuff on a screen to beat the other cool guy doing cool stuff.

To me at least
And this is true as well but a single character doesn't shatter the whole package. Anyone that feels that way didn't care in the first place. On the other side of the coin a single character can draw new people in.

Village

And this is true as well but a single character doesn't shatter the whole package. Anyone that feels that way didn't care in the first place

Sure.I mean I hate rufus, but that doesn't make Viper or Juri bad.

I mean the only scenario i can see that being a bad thing is if the disliked character is top teir, or his horribly offensive.

ShinMaruku

I am a mix between looks and mechanics. But I'm more a art style guy than just "That character looks stupid" Ingrid could add some good stuff. I also want her in there to troll the people who crap on anime yet play sf4 and can't admit it's anime as shit.

I am a mix between looks and mechanics. But I'm more a art style guy than just "That character looks stupid" Ingrid could add some good stuff. I also want her in there to troll the people who crap on anime yet play sf4 and can't admit it's anime as shit.

this is true

Infinite

I'm with Q on this one. Kinda annoying having this convo again after the Lucky Chloe shit and after a few of us in here were condescending towards the smash gaf community for the same thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just think people are being dumb as fuck in general when it comes to begging for characters to not be in SF5. Playstyles need to be filled in and until playstyles get filled in any character that has those styles and similar movesets has a good chance.

Vega was good because he's very unique and they made him even more unique.

If Balrog got in I wouldn't count Q anytime soon.

If Ingrid got in I wouldn't count Poison or Rose anytime soon.

If Urien got in I wouldn't count Oro or Gouken any time soon.

If Guile or even Sagat got in I wouldn't count Remy anytime soon.

If Dhalsim got in I wouldn't count Necro anytime soon.

If Fei Long got in I wouldn't count Poison or Karin anytime soon and so on.

Having characters people like is always an important thing at the same time having characters people can fit into specially if they are newcomers is important as well.

ShinMaruku

Could be viewed as an attempt to really have a look at who really is in the community and the discussion that is added could be useful.

petghost

Banned

Was her toolset that cool tho? I played her a bit in alpha 3 max and I thought the little parry thing was nice I guess but she seemed pretty vanilla.

I think we can just agree that if you have an anime girl avatar you are destined to be a big fan of Ingrid getting in on principle.

ShinMaruku

I find hating something for looking too anime is stupid as all hell when the character can be expanded and what they add to the game would be great.

But hey some people are more superfical than they'd like to admit.

petghost

Banned
Well balanced character with great normal pokes, counters and a good anti air zoning game.

This doesn't sound very unique or interesting... I liked that her fireballs behaved in a different way but I'm still not seeing something that makes her toolset sound like it would be anything exciting.

Mizerman

To me, it's both the tools and the aesthetic that draws me into a character.

If the character looks fine but feels underwhelming, it'll be hard to enjoy playing as that character.

Likewise for someone who pretty good, but their look/personality turns me off. Can't really enjoy that.

Meh. Maybe I'm just rambling.

Was her toolset that cool tho? I played her a bit in alpha 3 max and I thought the little parry thing was nice I guess but she seemed pretty vanilla.

I think we can just agree that if you have an anime girl avatar you are destined to be a big fan of Ingrid getting in on principle.

lol que

ShinMaruku

This doesn't sound very unique or interesting... I liked that her fireballs behaved in a different way but I'm still not seeing something that makes her toolset sound like it would be anything exciting.

First you'll have to define what you call exciting, what ideal you want challenged what can be expanded.

One thing people need to know with DLC you are not going to get a character and lose another one.
Except Kaen and Mika kek
:E

Prototype

It's always looks first for me, then out of who looks good I go to who is the highest tier of the those characters, after than I pick the one (or ones) that feel the best for me.
-looks
-tiers
-feels

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

When have zoning poke characters ever been "Exciting"?
It's always looks first for me, then out of who looks good I go to who is the highest tier of the those characters, after than I pick the one (or ones) that feel the best for me.
-looks
-tiers
-feels
Sounds like a straight ticket to NeverBeGoodAtFightingGamesville

Mecha

Ingrid in SFV?

Oh we full anime now :p
Good. Maybe after awhile with this on the SFV roster folks will be more open to playing other fighters out there like Under Night in Birth, Aquapazza, Blaz Blue, Arcana Heart, Koihime Musou, Dengeki Bunko and Daemon Bride.

There's a LOT of really good fighting game experiences out there to be had right now. Folks just can't get past the hurtle of anime being in so many of them lol.

If you hadn't seen Ingrid before could you honestly tell whether she was from Street Fighter or Arcana Heart?

Maybe this will happen in some sort of bizarro world. A strange world where people have better taste.

Producer

I played and was a fan of ingrid before i even watched anime. She can look like honda for all i care.

"That power doesn't belong to you." - Ingrid, to Bison. From Alpha 3 Max.
I can see it now.

"We were anime all along, Bison. *teehee*" - Ingrid, SFV
Ingrid in SFV?

Oh we full anime now :p
Good. Maybe after awhile with this on the SFV roster folks will be more open to playing other fighters out there like Under Night in Birth, Aquapazza, Blaz Blue, Arcana Heart, Koihime Musou, Dengeki Bunko and Daemon Bride.

There's a LOT of really good fighting game experiences out there to be had right now. Folks just can't get past the hurtle of anime being in so many of them lol.

I'd assume she was from SF or Melty before AH. That said, this genre will die before the SF base moves to another fighter. Not even MK will pick those people up.

If by Ingrid you mean Cody, Q or Abel I agree wholeheartedly.

Yeah I care very very little about how a character looks. It's 99% about how they play for me. It's just a bonus if they are pleasant to look at.

If I did care about aesthetics then I probably wouldn't be playing as some of my best characters.

Seyavesh

st sim was rushdown as fuck lol

And O.sagat is about as exciting as watching paint dry if the wall you painted was fireballs
yeah that's what makes him so cool though
he does everythiiiing. zone dudes out? sick as hell rushdown? it don't matter he's got the moves

also i love watchin osagat. fireball wars are cool as fuck! pretend i linked the muteki vs. kurahashi vid here because i can't be assed to look for it

i will admit that i am in love with fireballs though so i guess my perspective is wildly skewed for this

edit: i feel it is important to note that the podcast officially decided that machine guns are in fact, not robots

Mecha

To me at least

That's the case for a lot of people, Arcana Heart won't ever find a larger market with its character designs. Minori looks fun, but they went with more fanservice than ever with her design.

wyywnSR.jpg

Perro

Not a fan of Ingrid. But if she's an Athena/Kula mix, I'd main her.
The next reveal threads are going to be awful. I like Karin, but she's not more popular or well-known than the WW.
Leave Vega alone, nerds!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's the case for a lot of people, Arcana Heart won't ever find a larger market with its character designs. Minori looks fun, but they went with more fanservice than ever with her design.
It's basically a Kill la Kill character and that's bad in principle because that show is bad.
I hate myself for watching til the end just to give it a full chance

Looks like someone watched KLK, Prisma Illya and did some drugs while designing a character afterwards.

I enjoyed KLK
I entered an alternate dimension where Birdie is a beloved character from the SF franchise
Birdie was a cool surprise that made people think anything was possible. Same thing for Nash. Unfortunately we forgot that all dreams end sooner or later.

Mecha

It's basically a Kill la Kill character and that's bad in principle because that show is bad.
I hate myself for watching til the end just to give it a full chance

I stopped a few episodes in, as soon as I saw a few of the later episodes on Toonami I was content with my decision.

Top Bottom