• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Kumubou

No panty shots and too busty to be a schoolgirl from Arcana hearts.
You know there are no panty shots in Arcana Heart, right?
Don't ask me why I know this....

WV. Nearest scene "claims" to play other stuff, but all they do is hover around Smash bros all day every single time I show no matter how much they enjoy talking about other fighters. Kind of hard for me to start any scenes for stuff myself given my erratic power plant shifts and the fact that my apartment has paper thin walls and I get bitched at for walking sometimes.

I'd love to have a strong and diverse venue to hit semi regularly. Heck I can't even find communities for Arcana Heart 3 to try and set up stuff with. Best I found was a dead Dustloop area.
There really isn't much of an active community for the game at all at this point. The series has not had that much of a presence at any point in the US, and the absurd decision to have the online play region-locked with the US and European release of AH3: Love Max sucked out whatever little hype there was for the game. The online playing being Not Good Enough doesn't help matters much. Never mind the game being an awful package for anyone who already owned the original version of AH3. They wanted a fair chunk of change for essentially is a system upgrade, as there is very little new content that was added. It actually had the least number of players out of the various games at AnimEvo this year (even lower than Aquapazza, which is... something).

Skilletor

maybe instead of adding cute girls like ingrid and karin to compete with Tekken and Arcana Heart, they could add male characters who are actually cool and badass like MKX has

:^)

Why not both?

Something MK could only wish to do since they can't make an attractive female to save their lives.

And even though you're joking, Ingrid and Karin far predate Tekken and Arcana having those kinds of characters. They're not competing with those games with that type of character, they're just adding those that already exist.

lololol. I'll take your word for it, Kumu. <3 ;P

And even though you're joking, Ingrid and Karin far predate Tekken and Arcana having those kinds of characters. They're not competing with those games with that type of character, they're just adding those that already exist.

SF5 would be competing for that market with those characters because they haven't been used in so long, while the market for them has grown and been filled by competing series.

Mecha

Meh...do her backstory like Ultimate's Thor then. She thinks she's an alien and everyone else just thinks she's an unstable crazy person who happens to harbor a lot of power. The latter is why they humor their delusions because it may be dangerous to disturb a crazy person with power. You never really have to confirm one way or another if they are an alien or if they are really just a crazy person because its more exciting not to.

Done. Easy as that.

Is there any actual forum or anything for Arcana Heart? I have no clue how that scene could ever get organized without some kind of online meeting place.

There used to be a forum for Arcana Heart, I assume the community dried up and they turned it into a database.

shaowebb

There really isn't much of an active community for the game at all at this point. The series has not had that much of a presence at any point in the US, and the absurd decision to have the online play region-locked with the US and European release of AH3: Love Max sucked out whatever little hype there was for the game. The online playing being Not Good Enough doesn't help matters much. Never mind the game being an awful package for anyone who already owned the original version of AH3. They wanted a fair chunk of change for essentially is a system upgrade, as there is very little new content that was added. It actually had the least number of players out of the various games at AnimEvo this year (even lower than Aquapazza, which is... something).
Ick. Aquapazza's whole "negative emotion" thing always seemed like a terrible mechanic to me. You get bonus modifiers to damage scaling by moving forward and attacking, but you have negative modifiers to things if you block, back dash or use other defensive options? Why should someone be punished for being able to block a blockstring successfully? I understand that they were trying to come up with a way to force players to be more exciting and to take chances but punishing folks for playing smart and using footsies and proper reads is pretty offensive in my eyes.

But hey, its a crossover game so it gets more numbers by default I guess.

2gJePR6.jpg
oh shit

do eet, CapGod
Even as someone who loves alien/monster/demon characters, this isn't something I want for Street Fighter. The game has its origins, and I appreciate it staying near those origins. We don't want Pyron and the Darkstalkers team to make appearances. Ingrid isn't the kind of character I want in the game. I think the proper cutoff point is mysticism throughout human culture.

The question is: what forms of human mysticism aren't yet represented in the game that could spice things up? Taking the game all the way to otherworldly beings just makes those otherworldly beings lame. UMvC3 is even too lame for characters like Magneto and Dormammu to be contained within. You can't accurately represent a god or alien in a game as limited as Street Fighter.
I'd totally be up for participation from those that make up part of SF's mysticism. It'd be neat and canon OP characters can be cool if they're done right (Think Oro, Rachel from BlazBlue, Slayer from Guilty Gear and Eliza from Skullgirls, not Gill). The cast doesn't need to be flooded by Gods and Demons either. Some might just chill on Earth like Eliza while others throw themselves into the fray just to shift the outcome slightly.

I'll take a Shuma Gorath if they want to make it, though.
SF3 threw away being down to earth when they had Fruit by the Foot Jesus be the last boss that froze people with ice, made meteor showers happen and grew fucking angel wings. Oh and he comes back to life after he dies.
I'll never get what was so great about Gill or Seth. Akuma and Rugal are far more interesting badasses with boss potential.

Mizerman

Meh...do her backstory like Ultimate's Thor then. She thinks she's an alien and everyone else just thinks she's an unstable crazy person who happens to harbor a lot of power. The latter is why they humor their delusions because it may be dangerous to disturb a crazy person with power. You never really have to confirm one way or another if they are an alien or if they are really just a crazy person because its more exciting not to.

Done. Easy as that.

Hmm. I would like that as a way of reintroducing Ingrid as someone who's powerful, but is more crazy than a soup sandwich.

SF3 threw away being down to earth when they had Fruit by the Foot Jesus be the last boss that froze people with ice, made meteor showers happen and grew fucking angel wings. Oh and he comes back to life after he dies.

Meh. I never really liked Gill all that much, either.

Seems like they were trying to hard to make some over-the-top powerful boss, but wasn't really effective.

Horseress

hahahahahaha sp00ky with the truth bombs

sad about NLBC tho =/

And it looks like he is going to work at a norcal company. Twitch and Capcom are there right?

Kumubou

Ick. Aquapazza's whole "negative emotion" thing always seemed like a terrible mechanic to me. You get bonus modifiers to damage scaling by moving forward and attacking, but you have negative modifiers to things if you block, back dash or use other defensive options? Why should someone be punished for being able to block a blockstring successfully? I understand that they were trying to come up with a way to force players to be more exciting and to take chances but punishing folks for playing smart and using footsies and proper reads is pretty offensive in my eyes.

But hey, its a crossover game so it gets more numbers by default I guess.
I think one of the main purposes is to drive people to use Impact Guard in spots where they normally would not, forcing players to be a bit more active when on defense. This becomes rather apparent when fighting someone like Sasara or Riannon, who can force you to block stuff at relatively long ranges* and you will fall into that state just from blocking without ever getting close.

(*Unless you're playing Tamaki or Karulau, then you just block one of their many laggy moves mid-screen and use supers to blow them up.)

I kind of like the idea of having neutral/high emotion, but low emotion is such an anti-comeback mechanic (as you take more damage, build less meter, do less damage and are way more likely to get guard broken) it's kind of stupid. That and when you end up in a bad situation, it turns out that blocking -- even for a relatively short period of time -- isn't good enough. I suspect the mechanic was added in part due to how almost everything is rather disadvantageous on block, so people can't really run any sort of pressure sequence without having to burn meter for assist cancels.

Personally, I would probably keep (but tweak -- most likely normalize) the normal/high emotion states and completely get rid of low emotion, and just keep guard break properties flat across them (and have a separate indicator for a player that's at risk of getting guard broken).

I'm shocked that Big E has the ability to change the date of NEC with three months to go, but looks like it's gonna happen: https://www.facebook.com/BigEGaming/posts/1030296683671155
I'm surprised he's considering that -- and doubly so the Thanksgiving weekend date. That would just be an absolutely brutal time to run an event.

Spooky said there will be no more Next Level by the end of this month :(
NLBC closing and Sp00ky packing it up? It really is the end of an era over there. :\

Clawww

Henry is leaving NextLevel, and spooky is leaving as well, so no more NLBC at NextLevel at least, don't know if they have another venue they can go

ooooh right, that's a good guess

it's not confirmed. henry and nick (co-owners) are just in a tiff right now

sp00ky's stance is if Henry drops out so will he

Clawww

goddamn sp00ky on the soapbox...intense

guess I'm gonna be there next week

I don't even know who the fuck I play in SFIV anymore

I'm shocked that Big E has the ability to change the date of NEC with three months to go, but looks like it's gonna happen: https://www.facebook.com/BigEGaming/posts/1030296683671155

It seems like he's in a lose lose situation. Thanksgiving weekend just sounds like a really bad idea. But the week after is finals week for a lot of students. Maybe two week skip would be OK if the hotel lets him do it. Maybe being on the same weekend as Capcom Cup wouldn't really hurt that much. But it would be kind of awkward when Finals day are either kind of empty because people went home to watch Capcom Cup or they're streaming Capcom Cup on their phones and tablet and practically ignoring top 8's for various games.

jbug617

Banned

It seems like he's in a lose lose situation. Thanksgiving weekend just sounds like a really bad idea. But the week after is finals week for a lot of students. Maybe two week skip would be OK if the hotel lets him do it. Maybe being on the same weekend as Capcom Cup wouldn't really hurt that much. But it would be kind of awkward when Finals day are either kind of empty because people went home to watch Capcom Cup or they're streaming Capcom Cup on their phones and tablet and practically ignoring top 8's for various games.

I think Spooky said Capcom reached out to Big E. I think he is going to end up doing it in the middle of December.

Clawww

What is spooky saying

-Nick v Henry--it's not looking good, next week might literally be the last NLBC

-Big Money is here and the existing tournament structure will inevitably be affected

-He's interviewed at several companies

-General musings on the changing nature of the FGC status quo

Top Bottom