• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Why you gotta to cancel backdash with sidestep to get another backdash out? That shit is weird and I finally understand why the chars look twitchy as hell when I see good players playing at neutral. Maybe the movement system is more open and varied than vf at a high level or something but it's straight obtuse compared to it.

First of all you don't cancel into a sidestep you cancel into crouch. It's not weird you do the same shit in Marvel. Dash, cancel the animation with a crouch, dash again. The input is just reverse SRK for god sakes. Is that really so hard? Vf movement is stiff as fuck compared to Tekken. Tekken's movement system allows you to move accurately in 3D plane how you want, when you want, safetly. Most depth to a movement system in any game. Marvel is the only other game that comes close imo.

Soul Calibur used to have a good movement system till they nerfed it after 2.

oh do please tell me about tekken side-turned

You understand that they nerfed sidestep movement in Tekken 7 because lateral movement was super strong right? Of course you don't. High level players like JDCR were walking around everything so they nerfed it.

dem0neyes

first time i've ever heard someone reference KoF hops as an execution barrier. Honestly i think a lot of complaints about KoF being too hard are just misguided in general but thats a whole diff conversation.

Essay

first time i've ever heard someone reference KoF hops as an execution barrier. Honestly i think a lot of complaints about KoF being too hard are just misguided in general but thats a whole diff conversation.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people haven't read-up on the various execution tricks.

For example, I just learned last week that I could hold down a button to disable special cancels but still get command normals, which makes stuff like 2k2UM Iori 6LP xx super easy as can be. I.e.: inputting cl.[HP] 236LP]HP[ 3214[HP] makes it undroppable for me compared to before, when I was squeezing the whole super motion after 6LP to avoid cancelling into fireball.

That said, there are still some tough links and confirms in KOF, and some drive cancels that require incredible precise stick motions.

Onemic

I'd definitely count hops/hyper hops an execution barrier. It's two(actually 3 with super jump) extra mobility options to use in neutral that are extremely integral to the game. That automatically makes it an execution barrier.

alstein

I've seen a few people say they're a bit hard to do, especially on stick.

Tripon

Mind you, I don't think short hops in KoF is a huge execution barrier, but its there.

And the people who don't do it will get destroyed by people who can recognize it and punish appropriately.

stn

I've played all the major fighters out there. For a guy who plays on pad I have pretty decent execution, especially after I put a bit of practice into something. I also have a natural knack for figuring out shortcuts and the easiest way to perform certain moves. And despite all this I still think that KOF has difficult execution.

The hops are tricky to use in neutral, some of the combos are very difficult, and even the trials are ridiculously hard. To me, moderate-level combos in KOF feel like the hardest combos in SF4. I definitely hope that KOF14 is easier on the thumbs.

Onemic

The hops are tricky to use in neutral, some of the combos are very difficult, and even the trials are ridiculously hard. To me, moderate-level combos in KOF feel like the hardest combos in SF4. I definitely hope that KOF14 is easier on the thumbs.

I think this heavily depends on who you play. Like I'd say KOF execution for combos are a lot easier than SF4, but that's because I've pretty much only played EX Kyo, EX Iori/Claw Iori, Terry, and Andy

Numb

It's the opposite for me. I think the games are great but the movement is the biggest execution barrier I've ever run into. No hyperbole.

Always in the mind set that i am glued to the ground from Tekken and other 3D fighters to a smaller degree so i gotta get out of my default state always to play games with many types of jumps. Always try to stay grounded subconsiously.

Uraizen

Banned
Always in the mind set that i am glued to the ground from Tekken and other 3D fighters to a smaller degree so i gotta get out of my default state always to play games with many types of jumps. Always try to stay grounded subconsiously.

It's the dash canceling that's killing me, I can never seem to do it "right."

alstein

I've played all the major fighters out there. For a guy who plays on pad I have pretty decent execution, especially after I put a bit of practice into something. I also have a natural knack for figuring out shortcuts and the easiest way to perform certain moves. And despite all this I still think that KOF has difficult execution.

That is more of a KOFXI-XIII thing than a general KOF thing. The average 98/02 combo is easier, and the neutral's a lot more fun in those games. KOF from 96-03 generally was easier execution. (94-95 was wonky old SNK sometimes)

Numb

It's the dash canceling that's killing me, I can never seem to do it "right."

Indeed. I automatically train my movement. Since the the amount of skill you can learn in just movement alone is so much there is always improving space. Playing Jinpachi i don't even know why i keep up with it since he is a tank.

The speed of KOF compounds the execution issue. It only takes a few minutes to learn how to hop, but applying it in matches is something else.

Hopping and hyperhopping in KOF are like special moves in other games. Using them without knowing why just leads to you getting destroyed a lot of the time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
did a headcount on NYGX attendance, 38. not bad for a small scene playing a 3 year old update to a 9 year old game.

AAK

What's so hard about the movement in KOF?

It's just running, jumps and hops.

It's pretty much the same way I look at Tekken. It's just back/forward-dashing, sidestep/sidewalk-ing, and then crouch-cancelling. I personally feel Tekken's stigma just makes people assume it's movement is super complicated. To me the movement is conceptually simple, just has an execution barrier at the highest levels... just like KOF honestly. But in the end, the amount of control you have of your character in Tekken once you reach a certain level of execution within a 3D space is unprecedented.

The challenge in Tekken is learning, understanding, and properly applying all of the different options and mechanics the game presents you like the numerous ways of getting up off the ground, the different methods to evade a character in the z axis, the different types of stuns depending on the stage along with their inmplications, etc. which I admit is a large volume load compared to any other fighting game. I am willing to accept there's an information barrier.

But moral of the story is, Tekken is not that complicated. Guilty Gear IMO is a harder and more complicated game than Tekken.

EDIT:

I know Tekken players love it and don't want it to change. I just say hold dat waning userbase and have fun KBDing against 10 people.

Tekken was at it's most popular in Tekken Tag 1 where the game was FAR more unforgiving with how important movement was compared to now. That's not the reason Tekken is waning in population.... it's all the recycling Namco is doing with the series. People want to see the game's look and feel evolve similar to how Mortal Kombat redid their entire cast between MK9 and MKX. Once Namco does this, and Tekken's popularity continues it's downward trend, then I'll agree with you that the problem could be its movement.

I'm OK with them changing the movement however, but what I don't want is to lose control of the character which seems to be the direction they're going with Tekken 7 by removing step-guarding.

ShinMaruku

eh, we're not ready to puff out our chests yet. but last weekend was amazing and these guys are my family.

And that is why I said healthier. I always will rate scenes who ar elike family and built themselves outside of the capcom fgc apperatus and can last like that very highly. :)

crim

Banned
Iv been playing fighting games since TEKKEN 2, and I have always used SONYS original game pad with each console generation, the thing is, I cant for the life of me play on the PS3/PS4 pad.
~2/10 times I try to do a foreword/back dash (foreword, foreword/back, back) the pad registers one input as UP.
Without saying this really screws up gameplay.

Give me a PS1/PS1 DS/PSONE DS/PS2 pad, and this never happens.
Iv been playing with my PS2 pad and an adapter on the last generation of consoles.

Is there something wrong with the precision in the PS3/4 pads?
Or is it just a matter of a minor change in component alignment that makes it so I have to re-adjust my hand/thumb?

Trying to get older PS pads is starting to become somewhat of a hassle, and getting a IL free adapters is even harder.

chriskun

Anyone who says execution in KoF is not hard must have really good execution. Game is definitely not beginner or even intermediate friendly whatsoever. I think that there arent really any easy confirms in the game also make it hard. In SF4, 3 hit confirms abound.

Manbig

I'm OK with them changing the movement however, but what I don't want is to lose control of the character which seems to be the direction they're going with Tekken 7 by removing step-guarding.

Step guarding is still in Tekken 7. You just need a bigger window of time to use it. They basically buffed + frames.

Also, VF's movement is pretty much binary, which I actually like about it. You get consistent results thanks to it. No matter how heavy your disadvantage in the frames are, so long as it's not a punish on block situation, you can sidestep the attacks that don't track. The only time this gets complex is when you start to work in the crouch dash canceling on failed evades, but at the end of the day, when you successfully evade, you have very consistent options based on the recovery of the attack that you evaded.

Tekken's movement system, although the most convoluted a obtuse shit out there, is one of the most satisfying to get down at a high level. Before Tekken 7, it was the kind of thing that you needed to turn a character with an 80+ movelist into a character with a 10 movelist. I can see the appeal of this. It's probably one of the best examples of adapting actual real life combat sports fighting into a video game, since it's almost 100% about cutting angles.

My beef is that you only have .000001% of the actual playerbase getting to a level where they are actually using it properly, so who REALLY gives a shit? It's not like Tekken tournaments has viewers coming out of the woodwork to watch these players trying to cut angles and bait whiffs so they can score launchers and do half life +. People typically don't even like watching this fighting style play out in actual combat sports, so why should they give a shit when it's in a video game?

You know what was bringing the hype for viewers at the Tekken 7 EVO tournament though? Slo motion camera effects, and well timed super moves. Funny how that worked out.

Skilletor

Tekken was at it's most popular in Tekken Tag 1 where the game was FAR more unforgiving with how important movement was compared to now. That's not the reason Tekken is waning in population.... it's all the recycling Namco is doing with the series. People want to see the game's look and feel evolve similar to how Mortal Kombat redid their entire cast between MK9 and MKX. Once Namco does this, and Tekken's popularity continues it's downward trend, then I'll agree with you that the problem could be its movement.

I think Tekken's movement and recycling are all tied together. The moves are designed around the same old shit. To stop recycling, they'd have to totally rethink the game.

All part of the same problem, imo. You can't just change the movement in Tekken (or any game) without taking into account how all the moves work.

petghost

Banned
I think Tekken's movement and recycling are all tied together. The moves are designed around the same old shit. To stop recycling, they'd have to totally rethink the game.

All part of the same problem, imo. You can't just change the movement in Tekken (or any game) without taking into account how all the moves work.

I heard tekken 4 was a big shake up for the series that didn't go well. Maybe that's scared them into sticking to what worked.

alstein

And Namco can't rethink Tekken because it's so tied into an arcade culture over there which is hyper-resistant to change. The Tekken diehards don't want their 20 years of training to go to waste.

Negaduck

Anyone who says execution in KoF is not hard must have really good execution. Game is definitely not beginner or even intermediate friendly whatsoever. I think that there arent really any easy confirms in the game also make it hard. In SF4, 3 hit confirms abound.

I would say kof is a but trickier but it all really comes down to practice with it all. To keep my execution up I'll pop in kof and practice Ralf 100% combos (not the most difficult) and hops, I don't have a local scene but learning and practicing those helps other games execution I've found.

Getting into it I would say kof takes a little longer to get the feel of it over tekken.

Kof confirms (depending on the character) aren't the most difficult but the window is a bit smaller it feels like, Kim or shen wu for example usually you can confirm 2 d.lk xx HD which isn't that difficult but tales practice.

Dlent

Short hops are a legitimate execution barrier in Last Blade 2. I only recently started liking this game despite it being dead even on FightCade and GGPO. Just looking through the characters movesets on my own, it's ridiculous how clear it is that Zantetsu is straight up BS.

AAK

You're wrong there. Tekken 5 had a plethora of brand new animations, art, and mechanics over Tekken Tag Tournament 1 while retaining the Korean backdash cancelling movement system. That was a game where Tekken was still incredibly popular and everyone played it. It's just that ever since Tekken 5 we've been seeing the same stuff like what you see here:

Hwoarangt7.png

Tekken never recycled art like that before and people want to see some evolution again like what happened with T1 -> T5.

Top Bottom