• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Manbig

You're wrong there. Tekken 5 had a plethora of brand new animations, art, and mechanics over Tekken Tag Tournament 1 while retaining the Korean backdash cancelling movement system. That was a game where Tekken was still incredibly popular and everyone played it. It's just that ever since Tekken 5 we've been seeing the same stuff like what you see here:

Hwoarangt7.png

Tekken never recycled art like that before and people want to see some evolution again like what happened with T1 -> T5.

To correct what you said earlier in the thread, I'm pretty sure the Tekken 5 series was the height of the popularity both on a casual and competitive level. Not Tag 1.

AAK

You'd know better than me. Was just restating what Q-Dog said when Aris did a podcast with him nearly 3 years ago.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The thing with Tekken 5 was that it was a return to form and a huge improvement over the old systems it returned to. 6 was just an updated 5 with a weird juggle system and tag was basically 6 with tagging so more of the same but now with tag combos!

Cant say anything about 7 as I don't have much experience with it. Also I'm pretty sure 6 having completely shit netcode hurt the series pretty badly.

Fraeon

The thing with Tekken 5 was that it was a return to form and a huge improvement over the old systems it returned to. 6 was just an updated 5 with a weird juggle system and tag was basically 6 with tagging so more of the same but now with tag combos!

I see this sentiment a lot and I don't really get it. I mean, people who play Marvel are saying that the bound system is somehow arcane and hard to understand and that's really strange to me.

You have a combo, you can separate it into:

starter > bound > ender

I mean, combos were relatively short in Tekken 5 but the way 6 handles them makes them so that while the length increased, there's an obvious structure to them. I slightly prefer the way the combos worked before 6 but I don't really see where the confusion really comes from.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I never said it was confusing I said it was weird. There are a bunch of attacks in the game that have the bound property yet don't look like they do what bound sugest in the first place.

Bound is basically an attack that hits you so hard you bounce back up or with enough scoop to lift you up. Yet there are attacks that kick outwards with no downwards motions that do the action?

Plus a lot of people felt that the bound system made combos too long. Where outside some exceptions combos were typically shorter. They made combos longer for the sake of making them longer while doing similar damage. That's a turn off for casuals.

Tekken 5 was good because combos were typically a few solid hits with some jabs mixed in and so on you never see your character bounce around all crazy mid combo and it's visually easy to convey that you are being juggled. 6 and tag 2 look like the game is trying to pretend it's a 2d fighter.

The games are fun but there are lots of little reasons the series has fallen away from the casual base and why 7 is supposedly trying hard to bring back the old casual players.

You're wrong there. Tekken 5 had a plethora of brand new animations, art, and mechanics over Tekken Tag Tournament 1 while retaining the Korean backdash cancelling movement system. That was a game where Tekken was still incredibly popular and everyone played it. It's just that ever since Tekken 5 we've been seeing the same stuff like what you see here:

Hwoarangt7.png

Tekken never recycled art like that before and people want to see some evolution again like what happened with T1 -> T5.

So its like Madden.

Anyone here getting Madden this week?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So it looks like Q doesn't what he is talking about when it comes to Tekken. Wish I wasn't on mobile so I could post more.

Be my guest to correct me on stuff. I'm well aware Tekken 5 had some long combos and I did say with some exceptions. I did play Bryan and Wang in it so they are some guilty ones. Lee is the worst feeling on the receiving end just cause punch punch punch even though they are not long :p

Anyways
Tekken 5
Tekken 6

YHC mochi has to qualify online? I thought he was like guaranteed B leaguer since he's like the premier sim aside from darui

They tend to only keep the players who finished in the top half so last year Sasaki, Ninomae, Nishikin, etc.. finished in the top 8. They like to invite different players each time. They actually explained some of their reasoning for their picks on the show. Mago finished in 14th out of 16 players, but because he has won 2 premier events was invited back in. They also invited Kawaguchi, Gachikun, and Matsuri due to their performances in Topanga Ranking Battles.

I'm a bit disappointed Wao isn't in Topanga League. He finished in 2nd in the 3rd Topanga A League and 4th in the Topanga World League. The only reason why he wasn't in last year's A League was due to him not deciding not to participate in it. I don't think he was all that into Ultra at the time, but now he's back playing a lot.

Marz

Santorou, Gachikun, and Bonchan will all be in Topanga A league watch lmao Sagat takeover.

Edit: any of you Blazblue guys got any starter combos for Valkenhayn. There's so many different combos on YouTube I don't really know what I should be working on. I just need a main bnb for midscreen and the corner and then an air to air confirm plz.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Morris

Disco Devil
Anyone wanna play some Xrd?

Man I forgot how much I hated this lobby system. Pain in the ass to just get some matches in.

So Combofiend is in Osaka, Japan right now. He was going up against players like Haitani at the Monte arcade. He regularly goes to Japan to consult with Capcom Japan right?

Shouta

First of all you don't cancel into a sidestep you cancel into crouch. It's not weird you do the same shit in Marvel. Dash, cancel the animation with a crouch, dash again. The input is just reverse SRK for god sakes. Is that really so hard? Vf movement is stiff as fuck compared to Tekken. Tekken's movement system allows you to move accurately in 3D plane how you want, when you want, safetly. Most depth to a movement system in any game. Marvel is the only other game that comes close imo.

Soul Calibur used to have a good movement system till they nerfed it after 2.

You understand that they nerfed sidestep movement in Tekken 7 because lateral movement was super strong right? Of course you don't. High level players like JDCR were walking around everything so they nerfed it.

You're kidding me right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWVabhdTSE

Old step tech from the other games but movement in VF5FS is just as good for the most part. It's way easier for most people to be able to use after learning how to do it.

Anne

Holy shit how are you supposed to pressure with Celica?I see pokes and such, but nothing else.

Just use her A buttons and the multihits and keep them blocking. She actually has really annoying pressure, she can just make you block stuff. It's not threatening at all though.

shaowebb

Just use her A buttons and the multihits and keep them blocking. She actually has really annoying pressure, she can just make you block stuff. It's not threatening at all though.

Yeah, Q was saying in the stream she's frametrappy. Does she have any dive tools that go straight down? I saw a good divekick angled dash attack in the air and some huge hitboxes on her air tools. Maybe you can play air footsies if she has enough angled to choose with her stuff to mess people up and go for crossups...that is if her air stuff is safe on block.

Anne

Yeah, Q was saying in the stream she's frametrappy. Does she have any dive tools that go straight down? I saw a good divekick angled dash attack in the air and some huge hitboxes on her air tools. Maybe you can play air footsies if she has enough angled to choose with her stuff to mess people up and go for crossups...that is if her air stuff is safe on block.

Nah, all her air stuff is whack. j.C is an okay button but I mean it doesn't do well enough vs other things you'd expect to see. She just like doesn't really do anything special.

Clawww

So Combofiend is in Osaka, Japan right now. He was going up against players like Haitani at the Monte arcade. He regularly goes to Japan to consult with Capcom Japan right?

his life must be fucking sweet as fuck right now (surely stressful as well). it's awesome where he ended up and he's fucking delivering with the way SFV is shaping up

https://twitter.com/goldencen/status/634253711464923136

Henry Cen is not leaving Next Level until he can be bought out of his share of the arcade. The arcade won't be closed until then.

the whole situation sucks but shoutouts to Henry. the fact that Next Level even came to be in the first place is kind of amazing tbh

You're kidding me right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWVabhdTSE

Old step tech from the other games but movement in VF5FS is just as good for the most part. It's way easier for most people to be able to use after learning how to do it.

Nothing in that video disproves what I said. I'm well aware there has been movement tech in VF but it pales in comparison to Tekken in every way. I am talking about the basic movement options available to all characters as well. If I were to make a video covering every movement technique ever in Tekken from hiashita, to haha the video would be like 10 minutes long.

You can also see in that video my earlier point about the lack of verticle movement in VF compared to Tekken.

Please forgive me for the lack of posts explaining my thoughts but I'm trapped on mobile for the time being & even this post tool forever & was a pain to write.

Top Bottom