• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Tripon

I'd you want to hear fighting game talk on 8-4 Play, this week is for you.

The talk about FGC terms and SF background lore is pretty interesting.

I'm playing the PS Classics version of Tekken 2 and it actually hold up well. Looks great, too. I had no idea it had like 20 characters.

Pretty positive while you are playing arcade mode every 8th stage is a character you're able to unlock once you beat the arcade mode you are in. That's how it is for most of them atleast.

OceanBlue

I definitely have this issue. I'm trying to get to the point where I'm making good risks on offense and thinking about my broader defensive options, but I get tunnel vision really hard on one mixup and that usually causes me to get mindfucked when people do something else (especially when I'm on defense) or causes me to forget other options. Also, I get scared easily in pressure and when that happens, I just hold down back and hope they let me out at some point lol.

vocab

There's no defense in anime. Half the time you cant even see what hit you or something on the screen that obstructs your vision by putting all this shit on the screen.

Make some observations!

Ya, the games are usually shit.

There's no defense in anime. Half the time you cant even see what hit you or something on the screen that obstructs your vision by putting all this shit on the screen.

Make some observations!

Anime vets can see just fine. I actually attribute my strong defense to years of Smash and Anime. If things do get out of control just barrier guard if you can't DP/armor/counter. A little barrier pushes opponents away enough to get your bearings.

OceanBlue

Make some observations!

I've never really understood this argument. Maybe it's just because I'm a scrub with bad reactions, but even in SF4 I've never been able to "see" an overhead from Ryu, Dudley, Fei, etc. They're all in that 16-17f range where people claim they can react and I'm completely amazed that they can. In my experience, you're going to be reacting to tick throws and stuff in the same way you would in anime games: you recognize the situation and commit to a read.

OceanBlue

I see, but Dudley's is 15 frames, that's truly unreactable.

Imo once you get more than 15 frames it becomes doable

This is why I think my reactions are just awful lol. Anything under 21f and I'm pretty sure I'm just guessing, especially in real matches.

Onemic

I see, but Dudley's is 15 frames, that's truly unreactable.

Imo once you get more than 15 frames it becomes doable

Naw, I'd say 20+ frames at the very least. Only dudes that have amazing reactions and the oh is pretty obvious/telegraphed can properly react to an oh consistently that's less than 20 frames.(As proven by that Millia mini-game) Which is like 1% of the FGC

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Naw, I'd say 20+ frames at the very least. Only dudes that have amazing reactions and the oh is pretty obvious/telegraphed can properly react to an oh consistently that's less than 20 frames.(As proven by that Millia mini-game) Which is like 1% of the FGC

Noel's overhead is 16 and no on gets hit by that.

Ky's 19

K.Sabot

I'm not scared of unreactable overheads in SF4, mostly because the numerous defensive tools given and how most people can't re-convert a hard knockdown from them. Millia truly scares me because it's unreactable that leads back into unreactable vortex and "she won't TK badmoon 5 times in a row" situations. And when all her combos bring you to the corner, where she can actually do the "5th overhead in a row" read.

I'm free to greed sever online though.

rookiejet

I'm gonna do like Miniboss and retire from FGs and just play sims. I'm buying a wheel RIGHT NOW. This is my calling. I can tell.
I'll be good. I'll be good at sims ;_;

The whole article is about low to mid level players which is the majority of US anime players.
Ah, when I say "vet" I'm talking mostly about online guys and people who might go to locals and such. Tournament/pro players are in their own category. BTW I'd put guys like me and Q in the veteran category. I don't know if that sounds like I'm full of myself or if I'm underestimating Q, but that is what I've gotten over the years from playing good players online or at locals. I've only played Q a handful of times and he knows his stuff.

Low level players are free to SF random crouching lows. They're going to be free to anything. Anime may as well be a mystery to those guys.

rookiejet

The article is assuming someone who understands the game (his options, his opponent's options, etc) but is losing because of auto-piloting and not really /considering/ his options or his opponent's behavior. As juice would put it, someone not playing psychologically.

Edit: Also, good stuff, Anne.

I need to make some index card notes and apply some cognitive behavior therapy while I play, don't know why I haven't tried that yet. I think the first one would be "Calm down" lol

Anne

You're not reacting to something faster than 20 unless you specifically are looking for it or its obvious as hell.

Vs Noel you block high react low btw since the overhead is hella fast and hard to see but the low is slower and easier to see.

Also it's about playing psychologically past the neutral game, yeah.

Shouta

I've been meaning to respond to the VF and Tekken stuff but too busy getting ready to go back to the US. Maybe when I've settled back in at home.

Shame I'm leaving today though. I would have liked to go to the 5V5.

rookiejet

I don't know how in depth a response is needed for this but, from my point of view you got to blame the game and not the player. If the game does not promote playin in the way it should be played it's not a good game. if the person is not interested in engaging with whatever high level meta game there is then its upto the game or someone else to make them want to do that.

What's a good game then lol. By that definition, a LOT of games are not good (scrubdom is universal :p). This article is not talking about motivation, it's trying to teach already motivated people a new way of thinking in aspects of their play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You're not reacting to something faster than 20 unless you specifically are looking for it or its obvious as hell.

Vs Noel you block high react low btw since the overhead is hella fast and hard to see but the low is slower and easier to see.

Also it's about playing psychologically past the neutral game, yeah.
Yeah Noel is one of the weirdest characters to learn how to react to. The attack that starts out looking like a low turns into the overhead, and the one that starts as the overhead turns into a the low.
Ah, when I say "vet" I'm talking mostly about online guys and people who might go to locals and such. Tournament/pro players are in their own category. BTW I'd put guys like me and Q in the veteran category. I don't know if that sounds like I'm full of myself or if I'm underestimating Q, but that is what I've gotten over the years from playing good players online or at locals. I've only played Q a handful of times and he knows his stuff.

Low level players are free to SF random crouching lows. They're going to be free to anything. Anime may as well be a mystery to those guys.
Sounds about right I'm one inch away from pro level when I put time in but I can't go out to events and play to push me there -_- which is annoying when I watch streams knowing I could beat a lot of players I see.

mbpm1

Sounds about right I'm one inch away from pro level when I put time in but I can't go out to events and play to push me there -_- which is annoying when I watch streams knowing I could beat a lot of players I see.

GAF's sponsorship level is slacking
Kappa

What if beating the player repeatedly does not get the player to want it?
Nothing, they are either satisfied with taking a beating or quit playing.

What's a good game then lol. By that definition, a LOT of games are not good (scrubdom is universal :p). This article is not talking about motivation, it's trying to teach already motivated people a new way of thinking in aspects of their play.
Yeah I would agree a lot of games are not good. That article also teaches nothing, it points out flaws and shortcomings. That's fine and all but anyone can critique, I mean I do it all the time. It tells people to think more about what they are doing, but how will it get them to think more? Especially in a high pressure situation, the one where you are more likely to fallback on your habits and experience. Also from what Anne has been complaining for months now it sounds like people are not motivated to improve. They've found their comfort zone and are perfectly willing to stay in it. To be fair I imagine that's what happens to a lot of fighting game players, considering the time and effort they demand I am sure most people seek out their little niche and go through the same routine and steps to get whatever positive chemical feedback they get in their brains out of it.

Top Bottom