• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

Anne

TBH the evernote isn't there to teach anything concrete, it's just to get people to rethink it. Most players are actually really capable of doing these things, they just choose not to actively practice it cause ???? reasons. I just want people to think about what they're doing, das it.

I would know cause I was one of those players tbh. I have really good defense actually and my ability to perform certain things is pretty good. I just didn't do those things cause my confidence was shot and a lot of people told me everyday I was bad at them.

rookiejet

It's teaching them by pointing out their flaws and shortcomings? It can get them to think more by pointing out their (sub-conscious) flaws to them, and them trying to be more and more mindful of those flaws as they play? Also, you're bringing your own baggage into reading it, the article is pretty clear in its message.

Anne

It's a really super duper subconscious thing. You don't even realize it's happening, especially when others aren't pushing you.

It's teaching them by pointing out their flaws and shortcomings? It can get them to think more by pointing out their (sub-conscious) flaws to them, and them trying to be more and more mindful of those flaws as they play? Also, you're bringing your own baggage into reading it, the article is pretty clear in its message.
The only important quality of the message is how and which people it reaches.

Also critiquing is a pretty shitty way to teach anything. And I mean that in terms of effectiveness and not just as a judgement of the method.

rookiejet

The only important quality of the message is how and which people it reaches.

Also critiquing is a pretty shitty way to teach anything. And I mean that in terms of effectiveness and not just as a judgement of the method.

I don't know what the first thing means. Also, I thought the corrective advice was already in the article. If you don't want to read it again, it is "be MORE mindful" Edit: it is a state of mind you can actually practice being in more (like, basic cognitive behavioral therapy exercises can be surprisingly effective; most of our psychological failing is being on some sort of auto-pilot or ingrained behavior tbh)

I'm playing the PS Classics version of Tekken 2 and it actually hold up well. Looks great, too. I had no idea it had like 20 characters.

my 1st PS1 game ever along with SF Collection. the memories
ahh.png

So moral of the story is that Namco is saying to just wait for Tekken 8 for them to start putting some effort in the series again??

They put a lot of effort in Tekken 7 too. Experimenting both with tech, gameplay and character design isn't easy as easy as it sounds, especially if you think about the reception Tekken 4 had and how they fall back to the roots with Tekken 5 and stopped moving too much from this. Now that the experiments are done, they can concentrate about what to do with the series and just develop it.

Ending your post with an outright lie makes me doubt the validity of the whole thing

;_;

pixelish

damn just tuned it to the tw major stream and there are no taiwanese players in top 16 huh? even rb couldn't make it out of pools.

So... no more GGXrd from Daigo after this?

Probably not. If I were him I would just focus on SF4 for Capcom Cup. That's where the money is.

Capcom Standing changes after today:
-Jiewa moved up to 15th place with 149 points. 801 Strider and Xiaohai get moved down to 16th place with 148 points.
-Misse now has 132 points. He moved ahead of PR Rog (98 points and now 21st place) into 19th place.
-Itazan moved above PR Rog, Ricki, Snake Eyez, Fuudo, Humanbomb, and Tonpy into 20th place with 106 points.
-Tonpy pushed Snake Eyez into 24th place and Humanbomb into 23rd place with 96 points.
-Ryan Hart, Smug, and Art are out of the top 32 now due to Chuan now having 54 points, Storm Kubo having 64 points, and Misse getting up to 132 points.

Kakutop League France qualifier: http://www.twitch.tv/gaminglive_tv1

hitsugi

Daigo did well given the amount of time he played for.. seemed like Ogawa just turned it up after the first two games and Daigo lost his footing. Still, that was an entertaining set of games between everyone.

Probably not. If I were him I would just focus on SF4 for Capcom Cup. That's where the money is.

Capcom Standing changes after today:

Good thing Americans have Summer Jam next week...but Asians still have HK tournament and then another one in Manila the week after. Man their are a lot of Asian events this year with 16 listed in the Asian category. It's like they're trying to make up for last year when it was so lop sided in favor of America.

Technically America still has more events but guys like Smug, Die, and Art better make sure they're at these ranking events and finishing high. And I mean no less than top 4 or it doesn't really matter.

Tripon

What's going on with spooky on Twitter?

A troll account on /r/kappa claiming to be Bum (its not Bum) blasted Spooky for saying that next week's NLBC will be his last stream because Next Level is closing soon (within a month or so), Henry Cen was leaving, and saying this info on air last week before all the details came out.

Over the last couple of days, Henry Cen clarified that his lease is up at Feb, and he and his co-owner won't renew or can't leave early so they will close in Feb. So the Bum account is saying that Spooky is a diva trying to stir up shit for his own benefit.

TL:DR: Trolls are trying to bait Spooky. Guess it worked on some level.

AAK

They put a lot of effort in Tekken 7 too. Experimenting both with tech, gameplay and character design isn't easy as easy as it sounds, especially if you think about the reception Tekken 4 had and how they fall back to the roots with Tekken 5 and stopped moving too much from this. Now that the experiments are done, they can concentrate about what to do with the series and just develop it.

I'm sorry man, I don't see it. Where is this experimentation of character design? Every design in Tekken 7 except Kazuya, Lars, and Jin is recycled from the previous games INCLUDING the putrid customs of TTT2. When it comes to gameplay, it still fundamentally plays the same as Tekken Revolution with just tweaks to frame data like when you can block after sidestepping/walking. Picking any character from TTT2 or TR and jumping into T7 you already pretty much know 90% of the character already in the game. I don't see where they experimented to induce some kind of discovery that one expects when diving into a new game.

And again the Tekken 4 argument comes into play, a game that didn't get a re-release with a BR/DR version like Tekken 5/6/Tag2 got, so it's not a fair comparison. But regardless, Tekken 4 is fondly looked upon right now because we're all just desperate for a new feeling in the series again. The last thing was the experimentation of the tech which I assume something had to be done to convert everything into Unreal Engine 4... but I guess that's where their entire budget got squandered to. There isn't a single brand new hit animation developed for this iteration of the game. The new screw-attack is just DJin's WS+2 hit animation recycled; the new bound animation is just Law's DSS,2 recycled; The new twirl animation from moves like T7 Kazuya's d/f+1,4 is just the beginning frames of Law's WS+1,2 hit animation recycled; That toe grab animation that's new in T7 is completely ripped off of Soul Calibur; and I can go on. Where is the experimentation on new content? And not just that The game actually looks worse tech wise in a lot of the character models compared to Tekken 6 which was released 8 years ago.

T6:

tumblr_inline_nlpqdvQdkT1qhoyb4_500.png

T7:

tumblr_inline_nlpqg6RMoN1qhoyb4_500.png

T6:

T7:

In the end, we just want something new again... that's all. We have TTT2 to play for this style of gameplay. When I hear the word experimentation I can see that for every other game like SFV, MKX, Xrd, but I really don't see it for Tekken 7. I love the series and in my opinion gameplay wise it is the best among all the FG's. I'll still end up buying and playing Tekken 7 but this current effort is not what I expect from a sequel.

Top Bottom