• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

At the end of the day we have rising thunder and smash so those that have a problem with the inputs can play that. SFV looks like it does a good job making the barrier of lower and getting rid of the FADC bullshit and one frame links. I also think Marvel 3 did a good job as well in terms of execution. At the end of the day either you get it or you don't if you don't just move on to something you would enjoy more.

Marz

I'm in the execution barrier camp. A big reason why I don't play Smash 4 like I was planning too is how dumbed down and scrub friendly it is.

I get why you would make your game without 1 frame links and other things to make it more accessible but it takes away from the overall experience imo.

Bizazedo

I'm in the execution barrier camp. A big reason why I don't play Smash 4 like I was planning too is how dumbed down and scrub friendly it is.

I get why you would make your game without 1 frame links and other things to make it more accessible but it takes away from the overall experience imo.

I'd side with the execution barrier dudes if I didn't also want the developers to focus on making it as Internet-friendly as possible.

Which is not the same as failing to press the jump input multiple times in various combinations to make that jump.

tomato tomahto i think.

not pressing the B button to get the speed boost for farther jump resulting in a shorter jump.

also my example was simple, but the gist is the same.

OceanBlue

So is SFV going to be tech or block on wakeup unless you have a DP? It feels really weird saying this, but that's going to be really weird lol. Well I have bad defense so of course I'd think that lol.

I hope they don't make conversions off of lows too strong.

Edit: If any post I've ever made lands me on Scrubquotes, I imagine this would be it :V. I just meant to say that, since so many games have multiple wakeup options or OSes, having a game without most of those options but with both offensive choices leading to huge rewards is really scary. Don't get knocked down I guess lol.

I think Capcom wants to grow their online scene and get those LOL numbers (fat chance), and one frame links needed to go to make combos slightly easier online. Personally my execution is mediocre at best so I'm fine with 1-framers being gone, but I do like long combo strings so I hope there's more Nash like characters... We'll probably get someone with a custom combo V-trigger.

I think Capcom wants to grow their online scene and get those LOL numbers (fat chance), and one frame links needed to go to make combos slightly easier online. Personally my execution is mediocre at best so I'm fine with 1-framers being gone, but I do like long combo strings so I hope there's more Nash like characters... We'll probably get someone with a custom combo V-trigger.

Isn't all of Nash's stuff like target combos? Don't think those count as links.

Also, if you anti air someone with Ryu's crouch Heavy Punch, will a shoryu hit them right afterwards or will it go through them as they recover in the air?

This isn't true about Smash 4 at all, though. Jiggs even has a 0% kill combo that is very hard to do.

Isn't all of Nash's stuff like target combos? Don't think those count as links.

Also, if you anti air someone with Ryu's crouch Heavy Punch, will a shoryu hit them right afterwards or will it go through them as they recover in the air?
I'm talking about his teleport extending his combos, not about his target combos. But yah he has like 8 or so target combos. He also has some interesting corner combos with ex boom I think too.

ShinMaruku

24nahac.gif

Should be in Smash.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
In the SF engine I can understand not wanting things to be too complex but once you start going into air dasher territory characters not being on the complex side execution wise limits the characters you can design and balance greatly.

Linari

Neo Member
Is Yatagarasu worth getting? I played the demo which only lets you use one character and it was alright.

Is there a good online population or is it barren?

Its pretty barren, you can try steam groups and other sources to find competition.

I like the game and all but the lack of players at my level is tedious to say. I'm having much more success with Alpha 2 and 3 on fightcade.

In the SF engine I can understand not wanting things to be too complex but once you start going into air dasher territory characters not being on the complex side execution wise limits the characters you can design and balance greatly.

Do you balance a execution heavy character based on what a sako player can do, and have everyone else play a gimped version, or do you have the sako player run around with a cheaper version of that character and balance based on the masses?

DunpealD

They were doomed from the start with their choice of engine. I think they managed to optimize things down a little in a later patch but my four year laptop still has issues with it. Meanwhile, League runs just fine at 30fps.

Yes, sad waste of resources on BN part. They should think about rebooting and make it less resource intense by porting to another engine or something. Should have aimed for PS3/360 like specs.

That's kind of lowish. Anyway the game almost melted my PC so I guess I won't be playing it further.

No joke. I would really like to know what the dev team was thinking when deciding on specs.

With all that execution talk again. Even though EXVS isn't a traditional fighter. It strikes a great balance in simplicity, complexity and depth. As a bonus you can blame your partner for your loss.

Execution is rather subjective. I like it to a certain degree and it seems SFV seems to try hitting the sweet spot system wise right now. I'm rather interested to see how far they will go execution wise.

Numb

Hyrule dual-wielding Dorf should be in Smash too instead of how he is now. Straight sick. Instead we got him closer to Cap'n Falcon than having his own special stuff.

petghost

Banned
Do you balance a execution heavy character based on what a sako player can do, and have everyone else play a gimped version, or do you have the sako player run around with a cheaper version of that character and balance based on the masses?

I don't get it. You could say the same thing about a footsie based character. Do you balance the char for people with amazing spacing and have people who have no concept of spacing play a gimped version of the character?

I don't get it. You could say the same thing about a footsie based character. Do you balance the char for people with amazing spacing and have people who have no concept of spacing play a gimped version of the character?

Well the difference is that one is apparently the most important critical part of the game while the other one is not important at all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Everyone else plays a gimped version, everyone has room to improve. Typically if the execution requirement is THAT strict for the character to be good you tone down how GOOD that is *like its broken tier good if you can do it* and you ease up the execution a bit.

The point is no one wants to work extra hard if there isn't a reason to work extra hard. But once you get into air dasher territory movesets start to get fucking crazy and you just can't balance things with the idea that EVERYONE can play any character. On the plus side this creates HUGE HUGE character attachment and you see players put more work into a character they click with.

petghost

Banned
Everyone else plays a gimped version, everyone has room to improve. Typically if the execution requirement is THAT strict for the character to be good you tone down how GOOD that is *like its broken tier good if you can do it* and you ease up the execution a bit.

The point is no one wants to work extra hard if there isn't a reason to work extra hard.

Mastering i-no 6frc6 shit doesnt reveal some super powerful char tho.

I think a good example for execution barrier stuff is ewgf in tekken. Honestly not sure how I feel about it but it's a good point for discussion because it's a very powerful tool locked behind a pretty tough barrier.

Its pretty barren, you can try steam groups and other sources to find competition.

I like the game and all but the lack of players at my level is tedious to say. I'm having much more success with Alpha 2 and 3 on fightcade.

That kind of sucks. I might still buy it though since I like some of the characters.

Clawww

our very own kirblar at it again

amazing post

That kind of sucks. I might still buy it though since I like some of the characters.

you should definitely play it/buy it, although it might be worth waiting for a patch or confirming some bros to play w/

I like it a lot. it's honestly a top notch fighting game, but it has serious shortcomings in terms of featureset and everything. once you're actually playing and the session is going, it's as good as it gets IMO, with enough playstyle variation among the cast to satisfy most people.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mastering i-no 6frc6 shit doesnt reveal some super powerful char tho.

I-no's input design was a pretty big mistake. They fixed it in Xrd though. I guess they thought because how big the move hit that having it require that input was a good idea for balance but nah it just made things harder for the player with minimum pay off

After beating Hyrule Warriors, I agree.

Naginata and Giant Blade are both dope as fuck. I ended liking Zelda a lot too, I think they should put that one in because I'm not really a huge fan of Smash Zelda. What I really want to see is fire rod and spinner link. I'm really a fan of how Koei went all out on Link (and pretty much everyone else too. Fuck Fi though, she was ass), imagine if they had HW Master Sword Link in Smash, he would be OP as hell.

a top tier footsie based character wouldn't be niche. See: Elena, Fei Long Control of the ground is a general skill in the game and playing a character that caters to that makes that job easier. It's different than execution, which exclusionary by design.

and are you suggesting that the people who aren't sakos have "no concept of execution", in the same way here?

pizzacat

Banned
I'm doing my ultra 10/10 times from the right side. Left side is 6/10 times.

I need more. I can't do any qcf or qcb in the air after a move yet :(

I need more practice with the stick

Top Bottom